ImageImage

OT - General College Basketball

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

SpursNBucks
Banned User
And1: 113

Re: OT - General College Basketball 

Post#241 » by SpursNBucks » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:52 pm

RiotPunch wrote:Bo is hurting the team. Not utilizing Berg in the post, being stubborn about admitting Dekker is his best offensive weapon, having poor lineup choices out there in crucial moments and just having his head up his butt in general. How do you not have quick 2 plays drawn up for the end there? It was like Brust to shoot a three or die, someone cut to the damn basket.

I'd be happy if Tony Bennett is our head coach sooner rather than later.

This pretty much sums up my opinions on UW. I think Bo mainly plays to be competitive in the weak Big 10 which just doesn't have as many athletic players- his teams always struggle against athletic teams (ie teams with clearly more talent). He has never recruited many Top 100 players for his offense, and that is why there is always going to be a ceiling of maybe the final 8 or 16 in the Tourney. He does get the most out of what he has, but the last few years he has been weak as far as lineups and slow on making changes. I think his age is coming into play. Not a bad time to get out and let someone like Tony Bennett take over if they can get him.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#242 » by El Duderino » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:06 pm

SpursNBucks wrote:
RiotPunch wrote:Bo is hurting the team. Not utilizing Berg in the post, being stubborn about admitting Dekker is his best offensive weapon, having poor lineup choices out there in crucial moments and just having his head up his butt in general. How do you not have quick 2 plays drawn up for the end there? It was like Brust to shoot a three or die, someone cut to the damn basket.

This pretty much sums up my opinions on UW. I think Bo mainly plays to be competitive in the weak Big 10 which just doesn't have as many athletic players- his teams always struggle against athletic teams (ie teams with clearly more talent). He has never recruited many Top 100 players for his offense, and that is why there is always going to be a ceiling of maybe the final 8 or 16 in the Tourney. He does get the most out of what he has, but the last few years he has been weak as far as lineups and slow on making changes. I think his age is coming into play. Not a bad time to get out and let someone like Tony Bennett take over if they can get him.

Bo has struggled to recruit well for awhile, but in defense of him, the Dekker class and the one coming in next year have been noticeably better.
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 14,863

Post#243 » by RiotPunch » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:17 pm

Yeah, these upcoming recruiting classes are extremely promising. Don't have a big issue with Bo's recent recruiting, just think he is losing it with the whole being a good coach thing.

Get with the times and build the offense around your stud freshman. Stop pretending Evans and Brueser are something they are not, keep them in their roles and let the real stars be stars-- Dekker and Berggren.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,238

Post#244 » by LUKE23 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:26 pm

The Gasser injury killed them too. Neither of these current PG's are ready to be a full-time guy, and Gasser is probably their #2 or #3 scorer this year.
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 14,863

Post#245 » by RiotPunch » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:09 pm

Yeah, he was our most indispensable player for sure. That doesn't mask the coaching errors Bo has made though, but it did directly affect our production on both ends of the floor in a big way. It will be nice to have Gasser next year with a more seasoned Dekker.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis
KidA24
General Manager
And1: 7,238

Post#246 » by KidA24 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:03 am

When the PG's can't get the ball to Berg's in the post, is it Bo's fault?
That is something both Taylor and Gasser thrived in. I really wish they would use Bruiser more to GET Berg the ball down low. He might be the best post-entry guy they have.
Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”
El Duderino
RealGM

Post#247 » by El Duderino » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:10 am

LUKE23 wrote:The Gasser injury killed them too. Neither of these current PG's are ready to be a full-time guy, and Gasser is probably their #2 or #3 scorer this year.

Gasser getting hurt certainly was a blow, especially given the youth left at PG, but i probably don't think he's as good as you do. What the Badgers lack right now is a PG who can go get the ball as the shot clock gets under 10 as happens often in the Bo Ryan offense and go create a shot for himself or a teammate. Whether it was Jordan Taylor the last three years or Trevon Hughes and Chris Rock before that, Bo has had a point guard who could help bail out those numerous going nowhere offensive sets. I like the quickness George Marshall has and if he can develop a good jumper, in time he might be able to become that next Taylor/Hughes for Bo.
El Duderino
RealGM

Post#248 » by El Duderino » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:12 am

Marquette plays at Florida tonight, a very tall task given how good the Gators look.

I'm really not sure what to expect from this MU team with DJO and Crowder gone. I like the depth and talent on the roster, but quite a few young guys need to play and the team lacks reliable scorers besides maybe Gardner. Jump shooting could be very erratic. Like with Bo though, my gut says Buzz will end up getting his team into the NCAA Tournament, but they might be a bubble team, not a lock.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,238

Post#249 » by LUKE23 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:20 am

Gasser is a really underrated player Dude. He's efficient, he can shoot the 3, he takes care of the ball, he's a solid player off the bounce, and he's their best guard defender by a significant amount. I do agree they need a penetrator, although Dekker has already shown he can get by most small forwards off the bounce. Marshall certainly has very good quickness but he seems to use it laterally instead of vertically for some reason.

Either way, this year Wisconsin is weak at the guards and it's probably the worst year in a while to be weak at guards in the Big Ten. Losing Taylor AND Gasser off last years team and then coming into a conference that could have 7 tourney teams is tough. Granted, it would also help if their senior frontcourt stopped playing like a bunch of pink tacos too.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,928

Post#250 » by BUCKnation » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:21 am

Quite a few new names for MU. It reminds me of the first year (3 years ago?) with all of the new JUCO guys like Jae, DJO, etc.
skitch815
Starter
And1: 59

Post#251 » by skitch815 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:19 am

Really ugly game for MU tonight but another really nice game for Vander Blue. We're starting to see what we were expecting from him when he got to Milwaukee. Slashing to the hoop and finishing, drawing fouls and hitting free throws and even hitting the open 3. His shot still looks ridiculous but it seems to be coming together over these last 4-5 games
SpursNBucks
Banned User

Post#252 » by SpursNBucks » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:26 am

El Duderino wrote:
SpursNBucks wrote:

Bo has struggled to recruit well for awhile, but in defense of him, the Dekker class and the one coming in next year have been noticeably better.

The Dekker kid looks like the real deal. He occasionally gets a high regarded recruit (like Butch) and a few that outperform, but there just aren't enough. The guy plays his classic old-school "swing" offense, but he just can't matchup with the schools that recruit the top talent. Maybe UW can't ever get top talent, but you would like to see them have a little better chance. I think the main problem I have with Bo lately is his inability to start younger more talented guys - Dekker should be getting a ton of minutes- he plays with more poise then just about anyone on the roster. I also think that he doesn't use Bergren right- sometimes maybe you have to adjust your system to the talent, not the other way around.

Bottom line he will retire a legend and one of the best UW Coaches of all-time. He has brought consistently good basket ball to this program. I just think it wouldn't be a bad time for him to step down if the right guy comes along- dude really looks old this year. I would probably develop a list that would include Coaches like Bennett, guy from Crighton, Butler, and Gonzaga.
SpursNBucks
Banned User

Post#253 » by SpursNBucks » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:31 am

skitch815 wrote:Really ugly game for MU tonight but another really nice game for Vander Blue. We're starting to see what we were expecting from him when he got to Milwaukee. Slashing to the hoop and finishing, drawing fouls and hitting free throws and even hitting the open 3. His shot still looks ridiculous but it seems to be coming together over these last 4-5 games

Buzz recruits very well, but like Crean can't seem to get a true big- Gardner is more of a fat small forward with good post moves. That big black dude for FLA is going to be a high pick- nice NBA body and has more moves then Sanders or Udoh- I can see him going top 10. FLA could beat any team in the country. Marquette I think will struggle this year- as will UW without Gasser. Both could end up being NIT teams.
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM
And1: 1,417

Post#254 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:33 pm

SpursNBucks wrote:I would probably develop a list that would include Coaches like Bennett, guy from Crighton, Butler, and Gonzaga.

You're crazy if you think Brad Stevens or Mark Few would even consider the Wisconsin job. Bennett I have no clue about, same with McDermott.
BucksRuleAll22 wrote:Calvin Johnson is horrible and not a top WR.
buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,898

Post#255 » by buckboy » Sat Dec 1, 2012 1:37 am

I agree on Stevens.

I would hope Few wouldn't be considered. Wake me up when he wins a big game.
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,605

Post#256 » by emunney » Sat Dec 1, 2012 5:33 pm

Shaka Smart.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
DH34Phan
Lead Assistant

Post#257 » by DH34Phan » Sat Dec 1, 2012 7:51 pm

emunney wrote:Shaka Smart.

Doesn't he not want to come back to Wisconsin? Racism or something?
Nebula1
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#258 » by Nebula1 » Sat Dec 1, 2012 8:57 pm

Baylor :lift:
jeremyd236
General Manager
And1: 16

Post#259 » by jeremyd236 » Sun Dec 2, 2012 9:02 pm

Mike Kelley joins BTN!