ImageImage

ATL - Can't bear to watch the Pistons edition

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Re: ATL - Can't bear to watch the Pistons edition 

Post#1121 » by Newz » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:34 pm

DrugBust wrote:Yea, you guys love LeBron and hate Woj. Got it. Read this anyway. Some very interesting anecdotes regarding the Knicks.

The overwhelming hate toward LeBron just got me started on disliking Woj. The guys writing style makes me sick. He writes sports articles like they are some sort of dramatic fantasy novel or something. It's like the fate of middle earth depends on what happens in the NBA.

He's a good follow on Twitter. I can go without ever reading another one of his articles again though, regardless of if I agree with him or not.
Newz
Banned User

Post#1122 » by Newz » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:36 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
DrugBust wrote:Yea, you guys love LeBron and hate Woj. Got it. Read this anyway. Some very interesting anecdotes regarding the Knicks.

I'm not going to defend Stern's slimeball business practices over the last 25-years. He is what he is. He's created a WWE type league that for some reason I still follow even though it greatly favors the power markets.

I'm more critiquing the Spurs and Popovich. Because Stern is a jack-wagon doesn't mean Pop needs to be as well.

Why is he being a "jack-wagon" though?

He has an old team and all of the best players are old with a ton of mileage on him. They are in the middle of a grueling stretch of games with some insane travel... so he gave them a day off.

Yeah, what a douche. Either that or he just uses common sense.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,743

Post#1123 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:37 pm

averageposter
Sixth Man
And1: 722

Post#1124 » by averageposter » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:38 pm

Personally I like watching the Spurs, but then I enjoy watching basketball in general. If there are no marquee games during the season and if the Spurs don't draw, if That's true then why do tickets to the Bobcats, Cavs, and Pistons cost $45 face value for lower bowl weeknight games and $110 face value for the Spurs the same as other "marquee" teams. Obviously they are getting what they are asking here and around the league. Lord knows the Bucks give away the lower bowl nightly yet still charge what they do for the Spurs though "nobody" wants to see them, I think that's overblown a bit.

I'm sure Stern's more concerned with the sponsors or the long term effects on the sponsors if this sort of thing became common place. But as a paying fan I would be disappointed if my games were affected, especially since you only see the western teams once at home. I can see where people just don't care if they aren't buying anyway.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1125 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:39 pm

To be honest I never really realized what was going on between the league and San Antonio. By opening his mouth last night all Stern did was shine a light on a petty feud that makes him look terrible and the Spurs look great.
Newz
Banned User

Post#1126 » by Newz » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:44 pm

I'm surprised the player's union doesn't step in on this one.
jr lucosa
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,151

Post#1127 » by jr lucosa » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:03 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7zWfZ-nqNA[/youtube]

:rofl:
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,888

Post#1128 » by BUCKnation » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:35 pm

I had no problem with what Pop did. Its not like he sat them against the bobcats and still hoped for a W. He sat them against the defending champs on the road, in an unlikely W. Stern is upset about people not watching the game, when really the game probably had pretty good ratings because of the intrigue and the fact that they still almost won.
Turd Ferguson
Rookie
And1: 160

Post#1129 » by Turd Ferguson » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:31 pm

https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/ ... 1822099456

$250K fine for Spurs.

Newz wrote:I'm surprised the player's union doesn't step in on this one.

trwi7 wrote:Monta's career has done a complete 360 since he was traded here.
Turd Ferguson
Rookie
And1: 160

Post#1130 » by Turd Ferguson » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:35 pm

Now I want nothing more than for Stern to have to hand the Larry O'brien trophy over to Pop and the Spurs' ownership after sweeping the Heat in the Finals.
trwi7 wrote:Monta's career has done a complete 360 since he was traded here.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1131 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:46 pm

In case you're a fan and you're wondering if you should rethink your stance, the only person in the media that's standing with the commissioner is Darren Rovell.

**** Stern.
xTitan
RealGM
And1: 2,279

Post#1132 » by xTitan » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:52 pm

I guess I am not as mad as most people....when you have a good portion of your league playing in front of 1/2 empty arenas, and fewer stars coming into the league each year, you have some major PR problems. I also understand it from Pop's point of view, perhaps the answer is to have your guys sit out a home game, that way it is your own gate and your own PR that takes a major hit. I can see both sides.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1133 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Dec 1, 2012 12:10 am

The thing is this was in Miami and virtually no one is showing up to see the Spurs.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,818

Post#1134 » by Turk Nowitzki » Sat Dec 1, 2012 12:12 am

Totally and off topic from the Spurs vs. Stern thing but I found this to be randomly hilarious.

Damian Lillard is afraid of historic statues

However, Lillard has a lot of growing up to do. Like, say, not being afraid of "historic statues." From two tweets on his Twitter account (via TBJ):

"I like DC. I wana come back and visit the memorials even though I'm scared of statues"

"People I'm only scared of historic statues. Abraham Lincoln , MLK, etc . Had a bad experience at the wax museum lmao"

Later, Lillard explained his fear to USA Today's Jeff Zillgitt:

He has trouble pinpointing the exact time he fretted seeing statues and monuments but said the uneasy feeling was palpable during a visit to a wax museum two summers ago before his senior season at Weber State.

"The last room was Barack Obama, Oprah Winfrey, Martin Luther King, Malcolm X, George Washington, Abraham Lincoln — all these big-time historic people, and it looked just like them. Same size," he said. "They had music playing in the room to set the mood, and it just threw me off."

"Ever since then I've done. Even at Lake Oswego (near Portland), I drive past the cemetery, and there's a statue of Jesus with his hands up. That even scared me. I don't mess with statues no more.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball- ... --nba.html
Nebula1
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#1135 » by Nebula1 » Sat Dec 1, 2012 12:52 am

Insane to fine the Spurs
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,213

Post#1136 » by LUKE23 » Sat Dec 1, 2012 1:21 am

A quarter million? LOL. Stern is a **** bum.
jtcooky
Sophomore
And1: 8

Post#1137 » by jtcooky » Sat Dec 1, 2012 5:07 am

Turk Nowitzki wrote:Totally and off topic from the Spurs vs. Stern thing but I found this to be randomly hilarious.

Damian Lillard is afraid of historic statues

However, Lillard has a lot of growing up to do. Like, say, not being afraid of "historic statues." From two tweets on his Twitter account (via TBJ):

"I like DC. I wana come back and visit the memorials even though I'm scared of statues"

"People I'm only scared of historic statues. Abraham Lincoln , MLK, etc . Had a bad experience at the wax museum lmao"

Later, Lillard explained his fear to USA Today's Jeff Zillgitt:

He has trouble pinpointing the exact time he fretted seeing statues and monuments but said the uneasy feeling was palpable during a visit to a wax museum two summers ago before his senior season at Weber State.

"The last room was Barack Obama, Oprah Winfrey, Martin Luther King, Malcolm X, George Washington, Abraham Lincoln — all these big-time historic people, and it looked just like them. Same size," he said. "They had music playing in the room to set the mood, and it just threw me off."

"Ever since then I've done. Even at Lake Oswego (near Portland), I drive past the cemetery, and there's a statue of Jesus with his hands up. That even scared me. I don't mess with statues no more.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball- ... --nba.html

Can't blame him, mannequins freak me out too :lol:
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1138 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Dec 1, 2012 5:12 am

haralabob: Wait you mean the Spurs didn't inform their opponents as to what their strategy was going to be? Wild.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,818

Post#1139 » by Turk Nowitzki » Sat Dec 1, 2012 5:17 am

We need to get some historical figure statues in Sector 7 when the TrailBlazers come to Milwaukee.
Siefer
RealGM
And1: 5,950

Post#1140 » by Siefer » Sat Dec 1, 2012 7:08 am

LUKE23 wrote:A quarter million? LOL. Stern is a **** bum.

What complete, and utter bull. If the goal of an NBA team is to win a championship, Pop is putting his team in the best position to acheive that goal. His team is old, and their schedule has been grueling. Resting his best players in a tough match up on the road is a great decision for the long-term health of his players, and by association, the championship chances of his team. All the Stern is doing is shining a light on a) his petty feud with the Spurs, and b) the overriding power of the NBA's cynical greed.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks