ImageImage

ESPN Insider rumors/speculation

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,237

Re: ESPN Insider rumors/speculation 

Post#81 » by LUKE23 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:49 pm

Villanoeyebrows wrote:I think it is weak to say that people want to trade for Gortat because of name recognition. I doubt he is in the top 50 most recognizable NBA players. Phoenix isnt exactly burning it up on league pass or sportscenter highlights. I imagine a more likely scenario for people wanting to acquire him is that he is a legit big body NBA center. In a playoff series he could bully Noah, Hibbert, Bynum, Garnett, etc.

I think we are set at center with Larry and Epke. But I still think there are nights when we could really use a heavier bruiser like Gortat.

I don't even like him but that is the one role Dalembert can actually play (body his own man). There is no need to trade long-term assets for Gortat. This is as strong as the Bucks frontcourt has been in many years.
paul
RealGM
And1: 1,038

Post#82 » by paul » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:52 pm

Bruiser? Bully? I don't think Gortat is who you think he is. Like literally, I think you've got him confused with Pekovic.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 25,994

Post#83 » by paulpressey25 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:54 pm

A Diddy2231 wrote:People want Gortat just because they recognize the name

I recognize the name Dalembert much better. And we got him for a much cheaper price tag than this proposed deal. We just got 15/8 production from him Saturday night in 20 minutes of play.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,922

Post#84 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:56 pm

LUKE23 wrote:I have no idea why anyone would want to trade any long-term assets for Gortat given that he's only signed through next year, is nearly 29, and the fact that our frontcourt defense right now is one of the best in the NBA (in addition to being the top defensive rebounding team), with a ton of that due to our youth.

Are you planning on giving Gortat a large extension in a year and a half when he's 30?

Save the money. Amnesty Gooden this offseason. Give yourself a lot of financial/trade options this summer.

Ilyasova, Sanders, Udoh, and Henson all have a place on this roster moving forward. None is over 25 years old. Stay the course.

For the record I'm not even saying I would make the deal. I think Hammond absolutely would and the Suns absolutely wouldn't.
xTitan
RealGM
And1: 2,279

Post#85 » by xTitan » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:58 pm

LUKE23 wrote:I have no idea why anyone would want to trade any long-term assets for Gortat given that he's only signed through next year, is nearly 29, and the fact that our frontcourt defense right now is one of the best in the NBA (in addition to being the top defensive rebounding team), with a ton of that due to our youth.

Are you planning on giving Gortat a large extension in a year and a half when he's 30?

Save the money. Amnesty Gooden this offseason. Give yourself a lot of financial/trade options this summer.

Ilyasova, Sanders, Udoh, and Henson all have a place on this roster moving forward. None is over 25 years old. Stay the course.

Well it makes sense from a national perspective, looking at the fact you have an owner who would sell his soul for an 8th playoff seed coupled with a GM and coach on the last year of their contracts. It would also lend to the theory of another ending contract which makes selling the franchise even more likely, I believe there is at least a 50/50 chance Kohl sells if not higher. Having said all that, I do not see Henson going anywhere.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#86 » by LUKE23 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:02 pm

DrugBust wrote:For the record I'm not even saying I would make the deal. I think Hammond absolutely would and the Suns absolutely wouldn't.

I don't think Hammond would trade any of Ilyasova, Harris, Henson, Udoh, or Sanders in a deal for Gortat. For all the flack the organization has been taking lately, they have been making an attempt to go younger (as much as is possible under a win now mandate, anyway).

Last year they were 8th youngest team in terms of age weighted for minutes played, and that was before they got slightly younger in the Ellis/Udoh deal. I'm guessing right now the Bucks are probably in the 5 to 8 range in terms of youngest teams for minutes vs. age.

http://hoopism.com/?p=2611
Fresh_Prince12
Head Coach
And1: 2,184

Post#87 » by Fresh_Prince12 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:10 pm

I think you have to look at the bottom line. "Does this trade make us contenders?" No, so it is not worth raring our future for it.
Stopshere2
Head Coach
And1: 38

Post#88 » by Stopshere2 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:17 pm

Gortat dreams of being Zydrunas Ilgauskas without the awesome set shot or extra 4" in height :)
Luckily, for the revenue department of the government, speed doesn't kill.
Nebula1
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#89 » by Nebula1 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:23 pm

Gortat sucks. Let me add my name to this list of 'hell no'
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#90 » by LUKE23 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:31 pm

Oh, if anyone cares, threw this together quick. Our current weighted age is 26.59 (26.34 in January of last year). If anyone knows a better way to embed from Excel I'm all ears.

Code: Select all

Player   Years Old   Months Old   Age   Minutes   Age Weighted-Minutes Played
Jennings   23   2   23.17   283   6556.17
Ellis   27   1   27.08   280   7583.33
Dunleavy   32   2   32.17   214   6883.67
Sanders   24   0   24.00   195   4680.00
Ilyasova   25   6   25.50   193   4921.50
Udoh   25   6   25.50   165   4207.50
Harris   20   4   20.33   151   3070.33
Dalembert   31   6   31.50   134   4221.00
Udrih   30   5   30.42   127   3862.92
Daniels   31   10   31.83   99   3151.50
Henson   21   11   21.92   31   679.42
Lamb   21   0   21.00   29   609.00
Przybilla   33   1   33.08   19   628.58

Total   343   54   347.5   1920   51054.92

Weighted Age      26.59
SupremeHustle
RealGM
And1: 28,403

Post#91 » by SupremeHustle » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:38 pm

Maybe I'm overvaluing the Bucks' youth (Henson, Harris) but that just seems like too much for Gortat, especially when the upgrade is incremental as far as wins are concerned. I like the guy, but he doesn't move the needle toward us becoming contenders in the East anymore than we are now.

And I believe Kendall Marshall, as mentioned by someone earlier, will struggle to stay in the NBA. Never saw the appeal. Forget GMs (who sometimes have questionable motives) Would anyone who follows basketball closely really trade Henson for Marshall?

I'm all for the Bucks making a trade to improve and I hope they do. They can get better 1-5. But I don't think this is the trade they should cash in their assets on, even if it means dumping Gooden.
jschligs wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't know who the **** SupremeHustle is?
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,599

Post#92 » by emunney » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:43 pm

I like Kendall Marshall a lot, but as a backup on his 2nd contract.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
SupremeHustle
RealGM
And1: 28,403

Post#93 » by SupremeHustle » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:46 pm

That's probably my issue with Marshall. I see FIRST ROUND PICK and I think he's projected/expected to be a starting PG. But sure, I could see him as a backup. Maybe he'll even have a Linsanity-type stretch that gets him paid.
jschligs wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't know who the **** SupremeHustle is?
JimmyTheKid
General Manager
And1: 5,105

Post#94 » by JimmyTheKid » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:57 pm

Milwaukee Bucks | Gortat and Kendall Marshall for Tobias Harris, John Henson and Drew Gooden

Center is the one glaring weakness for Scott Skiles' team

:lol:

Get the fug outta here. Watch basketball before writing about basketball. Idiot.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,599

Post#95 » by emunney » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:07 pm

Yeah. One rough and simple way I like to think about draft slots is assuming 10 year careers (which is obviously generous outside of the top tier of players), the average outcome of top pick should be a top 10 player, 2nd should be top 20, 3rd top 30, etc. That would mean my expectation for the 13th overall pick would be a below average starter.

I think he could get there. I'd just rather take the boom/bust guy than the heady player/bust guy. Marshall or somebody like him almost certainly will be available to us before his rookie deal lapses. With a guy like Henson, that's a lot less certain -- it's a lot easier for me to imagine Henson turning into somebody who'd be very difficult to part with.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,843

Post#96 » by coolhandluke121 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:16 pm

I think the idea of the Bucks trading Harris and Henson for a good veteran makes some sense. They could win 50+ easily if they made the right deal, and it's not like Harris and Henson are a driving force behind their current good play. But Gortat is not the right deal because it's not a big upgrade at center. Here are some guys I might consider trading Henson and Harris for:

Matthews
Afflalo
Deng
Eric Gordon
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#97 » by LUKE23 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:21 pm

coolhandluke121 wrote:I think the idea of the Bucks trading Harris and Henson for a good veteran makes some sense. They could win 50+ easily if they made the right deal, and it's not like Harris and Henson are a driving force behind their current good play. But Gortat is not the right deal because it's not a big upgrade at center. Here are some guys I might consider trading Henson and Harris for:

Matthews
Afflalo
Deng
Eric Gordon

The only one of those names that would even be debatable for trading both Henson and Harris would be Gordon, and he's making the max and has barely played the last two years. However, at least he's young and has played at an extremely high level before. I like both Matthews and Afflalo, but they are both at their ceiling as just really solid role playing starters.

It's weird to me though that anyone that has strongly been against trading young for old in the past would advocate a young for old trade now, when it appears the current core has a lot of potential despite being young. This is legitimately one of the last times under JH/SS that I'd actively seek out a youth for veteran deal. It seems that the ones calling for it are doing so just to be a vocal minority.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,922

Post#98 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:27 pm

LUKE23 wrote:
coolhandluke121 wrote:I think the idea of the Bucks trading Harris and Henson for a good veteran makes some sense. They could win 50+ easily if they made the right deal, and it's not like Harris and Henson are a driving force behind their current good play. But Gortat is not the right deal because it's not a big upgrade at center. Here are some guys I might consider trading Henson and Harris for:

Matthews
Afflalo
Deng
Eric Gordon

The only one of those names that would even be debatable for trading both Henson and Harris would be Gordon, and he's making the max and has barely played the last two years. However, at least he's young and has played at an extremely high level before. I like both Matthews and Afflalo, but they are both at their ceiling as just really solid role playing starters.

It's weird to me though that anyone that has strongly been against trading young for old in the past would advocate a young for old trade now, when it appears the current core has a lot of potential despite being young. This is legitimately one of the last times under JH/SS that I'd actively seek out a youth for veteran deal. It seems that the ones calling for it are doing so just to be a vocal minority.

Who's really calling for it? Coolhandluke and that's about it.
coolhandluke121
RealGM

Post#99 » by coolhandluke121 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:35 pm

LUKE23 wrote:

Matthews
Afflalo
Deng
Eric Gordon

I think a lot of "really solid role players" are often much more valuable than players who are often considered borderline stars. Especially when you factor in defense. I see it as somewhat unlikely that either Harris or Henson ends up as productive as Matthews/Afflalo. Shooting nearly 40% from 3 is a great asset by itself; when the player also can play very good defense and score 16 ppg that's the type of player that should be considered for all-star games IMO. And those players do get considered when they're on good team. Both players remind me of Dan Majerle. Players like that tend to find themselves on good teams often, and it's not surprising to me because they play a winning brand of basketball. They're better on the court than on paper.

I normally hate trading for veterans, but I believe this team has much more potential than any line-up the Bucks have had in years. That goes to even when they had Bogut, Redd, young Mo, young CV, etc. I wanted those teams to unload vets and tank because I thought they were good on paper but terrible on the court. I see this team as the opposite. They're too good on the court to even consider tanking. Furthermore, I've always wanted to tank for star players at the top of the draft, not for just potential solid starters like Harris and Henson. So I get why you would think trading them is a contradiction, but I don't really think it is. They have good young players at pf/c with Ersan, Udoh, Sanders, and LRMAM, and for the future they could have LRMAM plus Deng, Matthews, or Afflalo to play some sf as well. I love youth, but there's only so many good-but-not-great young players you can have before it becomes worthwhile to trade a couple of them for a good vet and make a run. The Bucks have never been in that position recently, but I think they are now.

I'm not strongly in favor of any of those trades, I just said I would consider any of them.
coolhandluke121
RealGM

Post#100 » by coolhandluke121 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:37 pm

DrugBust wrote:
LUKE23 wrote:

Matthews
Afflalo
Deng
Eric Gordon

Who's really calling for it? Coolhandluke and that's about it.

There's a big difference between saying "I might consider it" and calling for it.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks