ImageImage

What Do You Want To Happen With Ellis?

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Your Preference on What Happens With Monta Ellis

He is traded by the 12-13 deadline in a win now playoff move
21%
He is traded by the 12-13 deadline for the best possible young asset (pick and/or player)
64%
He is kept past the deadline if the team has a chance at playoffs, and opts out for 13-14
6%
He is kept past the deadline if the team has a chance at playoffs, and opts in for 13-14
5%
He is kept, opts in for 13-14 and is extended as our long-term SG this summer
4%

Total votes: 131

paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,000

Re: What Do You Want To Happen With Ellis? 

Post#21 » by paulpressey25 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:31 pm

LUKE23 wrote: I just think some team will overrate Monta based on ppg enough to get a better asset.

Who are some better assets you think we could get for Monta? I'm not as optimistic as you are on that one.

I think Afflalo would be top of the world market value for Monta and the only way Orlando does it would be to dump Afflalo's contract and bring some swag to provide cover with the casual fans for their tank.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
Nebula1
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#22 » by Nebula1 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:33 pm

Why would Ellis not opt-in? I think he'd be crazy to leave money on the table before going to market. He will go to market the following year.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Post#23 » by LUKE23 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:37 pm

Depends if you're talking veterans or unknowns like picks. I think we could get a pick that could land a better player than Afflalo. Maybe we can get Burks/filler from Utah (he's not even in the rotation). But you know I'm against a veteran win now move if there are younger options available. I'm still in asset hording mode if I'm running this team. I don't view Afflalo at his contract as an asset, nor do I view him as a piece to push us to 50+ wins.

To try and make a historical comparison, 27 year old Steve Francis (who many have compared to Monta) coming off a 14.8/4.9/5.6/1.6 @ .501TS season paired with 29 year old Cuttino Mobley landed 25 year old T-Mac. Obviously, most thought it was a bad trade at the time, nor do I think we could get a player of that caliber, but I think we can do better than Afflalo. The list of players who can play passable defense and put up 15 ppg on 13.7 shots on a really bad team is long. I guess what I'm saying is I'd like to aim higher. If we strike out and feel compelled to add a veteran SG we'll have the cash to do so this summer or next.
GHOSTofSIKMA
RealGM
And1: 7,962

Post#24 » by GHOSTofSIKMA » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:38 pm

the only thing i dont want to happen is a deal for another vet with time left on non rookie contract. i know how that story ends.

i say keep him around if were in the hunt, then let him opt out in the summer. we can shore that position back up in the offseason either with FA or a trade. i want to keep our flexibility intact above all else in this situation
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks

Post#25 » by paulpressey25 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:40 pm

Nebula1 wrote:Why would Ellis not opt-in? I think he'd be crazy to leave money on the table before going to market. He will go to market the following year.

Ted Davis thinks Monta opts in. I think it is a fair question to ask and don't see it as a slam dunk either way.

The MLE is now restricted so teams way over the cap like the Lakers and Heat can only offer him 3/$9.

Then the full MLE teams can only offer him 4/$22. I don't see him leaving one year at $11 million for the security of four years at $22 million. The risk/reward isn't there. So rule out the teams that have only the full MLE.

So for it to be worth the gamble to opt out, he's got to find a team with more cap room than the MLE. What teams will those be next summer? If it is a rebuilding team, they aren't ponying up money for Monta. Who are his suitors outside of maybe Dallas if Cuban gets shut out on other players?

Nebula1
RealGM

Post#26 » by Nebula1 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:44 pm

I just see no way he opts out.
GHOSTofSIKMA
RealGM
And1: 7,962

Post#27 » by GHOSTofSIKMA » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:44 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
Nebula1 wrote:Why would Ellis not opt-in? I think he'd be crazy to leave money on the table before going to market. He will go to market the following year.

Ted Davis thinks Monta opts in. I think it is a fair question to ask and don't see it as a slam dunk either way.

The MLE is now restricted so teams way over the cap like the Lakers and Heat can only offer him 3/$9.

Then the full MLE teams can only offer him 4/$22. I don't see him leaving one year at $11 million for the security of four years at $22 million. The risk/reward isn't there. So rule out the teams that have only the full MLE.

So for it to be worth the gamble to opt out, he's got to find a team with more cap room than the MLE. What teams will those be next summer? If it is a rebuilding team, they aren't ponying up money for Monta. Who are his suitors outside of maybe Dallas if Cuban gets shut out on other players?

what options could be available with a s/t to a contender? im still confused about what the new cba allows with that vs what it used to be.
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#28 » by Newz » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:46 pm

Traded for some combination of youth/expirings/picks.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#29 » by LUKE23 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:50 pm

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
what options could be available with a s/t to a contender? im still confused about what the new cba allows with that vs what it used to be.

Good breakdown here:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/730 ... labor-deal

Sign-and-Trade

Starting in Year 3 of the new CBA, sign-and-trades will be prohibited for any team that is more than $4 million over the luxury tax. For all the back and forth over this particular restriction, it is actually rare for a team over the tax to participate in a sign-and-trade. This was done only a handful of times in the previous CBA, and the only one to directly impact the championship was the Mavericks' acquisition of Shawn Marion.

The more interesting change here is that new provisions allow for an S&T to have annual salary raises of 4.5 percent. This is lower than the max Bird Exception raises of 7.5 percent. The maximum contract length is also limited to four years, one fewer than the Bird Exception contract. So if this had been in place in the summer of 2010, what would LeBron James' sign-and-trade contract have looked like versus what it actually is, and how much money would he have lost by leaving Cleveland (dollars in millions)?

Code: Select all

2010-11    2011-12    2012-13    2013-14    2014-15    2015-16    Total
Actual    $14.500    $16.023    $17.545    $19.067    $20.590    $22.112    $109.837
New CBA    $14.500    $15.153    $15.834    $16.547    
X

X
   $62.034
New CBA had he stayed in CLE    $16.324    $17.548    $18.864    $20.279    $21.800    
X
   $94.816

Last year, LeBron had the ability to sign a full Bird Exception contract and then be traded to Miami (he took less money, but he didn't have to). In the new CBA he wouldn't have had that option, and instead would have had to sacrifice significant money. This should allow teams to better retain their existing players.

Extend-and-Trade

An extend-and-trade is similar to a sign-and-trade, with the difference being that rather than wait until a player hits the free-agent market, a team will offer a contract extension and then trade a player immediately after that contract is signed. The maximum length on these extensions is three years.

While the dollar values (similar to a sign-and-trade) have been lowered, this type of deal opens the door for Carmelo Anthony-like maneuvers, in which he forced his way out of Denver. Sure enough, as the details of the new CBA emerged, rampant speculation about the futures of Chris Paul and Dwight Howard started, with the possibility of an extend-and-trade making these moves more likely.
cheeztrain
Sophomore
And1: 16

Post#30 » by cheeztrain » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:51 pm

Trade with Sac

Monta/Ersan/Mike D Jr

for

Tyreke/Garcia/Jimmer/Hayes

Go Young and still win!!! hopefully :P

Jennings/Udrich/Jimmer
Evans/Lamb/Garcia
Harris/Moute
Henson/Udoh
Sanders/Hayes/Dalembert

Kings clear Hayes and pickup a stretch 4 in Ersan.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#31 » by LUKE23 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:52 pm

cheeztrain wrote:Trade with Sac

Monta/Ersan/Mike D Jr

for

Jennings/Udrich/Jimmer
Evans/Lamb/Garcia
Harris/Moute
Henson/Udoh
Sanders/Hayes/Dalembert

Horrible.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks

Post#32 » by paulpressey25 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:53 pm

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:

The sign and trade will be difficult for a couple reasons.

First off, Monta gets max flexibility on money in a new contract only if he "opts out" versus being extended. Although that difference in money may not be meaningful as few teams would pay him the $11 million he is now making.

Monta has to opt out before July 1st. After July 1st the new restrictions on S&T's for teams over the cap take effect. So does the punitive luxury tax. So the days of Mark Cuban signing him to a big deal and then not worrying if he pans out because he'd get a big salary slot are gone.

I think our best bet is to deal him now before the trade deadline. The more I think about the lack of teams with cap room and his defense against Rip these past two games, the more I think he might just opt in.

J-Nut
Freshman
And1: 7

Post#33 » by J-Nut » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:01 pm

LUKE23 wrote:
cheeztrain wrote:Trade with Sac

Monta/Ersan/Mike D Jr

for

Jennings/Udrich/Jimmer
Evans/Lamb/Garcia
Harris/Moute
Henson/Udoh
Sanders/Hayes/Dalembert

Horrible.

I agree. That's a horrible trade! I wouldn't want any of those players on the Bucks.
It's like butta baby!!!!
Max Green
RealGM
And1: 4,668

Post#34 » by Max Green » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:02 pm

Nebula1 wrote:I just see no way he opts out.

Most were saying the same thing about Richard Jefferson a few years ago....
Vice President of Parker-Nation.
#Jabariunleashed
#OwnTheFuture
:wizard: Maxtradamus
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,059

Post#35 » by Thunder Muscle » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:04 pm

I also find it interesting there is much talk about this in the media. Majority of the attention is focused on Jennings. And I understand his deadline was recent and he's been a face of the franchise since 2009, but Ellis is a fairly high profile player, was the "name" in the Bogut trade, and there has been very minimal discussion on his future here. The last I heard Hammond discuss was on the season ticket holder conference call last June or July.
Nebula1
RealGM

Post#36 » by Nebula1 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:07 pm

Max Green wrote:
Nebula1 wrote:I just see no way he opts out.

Most were saying the same thing about Richard Jefferson a few years ago....

Of course there are always exceptions and perhaps he does, but he'd be foolish to leave that annual salary on the table. I sure wouldn't.

Monta is actually in a pretty good situation and with a team that likes him around.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,059

Post#37 » by Thunder Muscle » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:16 pm

Yeah, but does Monta like being around? Most leaked reports, granted they may not be true, are that Monta has no interest in opt-in nor extending here.
xTitan
RealGM
And1: 2,279

Post#38 » by xTitan » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:23 pm

An expiring contract could be more attractive if you plan on selling the team.
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 22,685

Post#39 » by Baddy Chuck » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:48 pm

I'd prefer a young guy like Alec Burks or some type of pick, I'd live with a wing like Afflalo/Wes Matthews. Trading him with assets would piss me off unless we got an exceptional deal.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
Chuck Diesel
RealGM
And1: 11,556

Post#40 » by Chuck Diesel » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:00 pm

I woud like to see Ellis play the best basketball of his career as a Milwaukee Buck. Continue to burden the opposing defense, limit turnovers, take quality shots, create more for others and dig down on defense.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks