paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 25,808

Ted Davis team commentary on WSSP this afternoon 

Post#1 » by paulpressey25 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:26 am

Link to the podcast for this hour is here:

http://podcast.sportsradio1250.com/wssp2/3774442.mp3

My own speculation is that the Bucks now understand they need a multi-media presence to spread the gospel and that because Hammond and Skiles aren't good public spokesmen they have turned Ted Davis loose on WSSP this year.

I'm actually enjoying Ted's thoughts and commentary quite a bit when he's on. The other part is that I believe 50% of what he says is his opinion and the other 50% represents what the franchise braintrust is thinking and would like put out there. This gives us some insight into their mindset that we used to regularly get on the now defunct "Pro Hoops Show" that Sparky used to do.

For those who don't want to listen, Ted said:

-The Bucks are who they are right now. Likely a team that hovers around .500 for the year

-Whether they win or lose on a given night is essentially in the hands of Jennings, Monta, Dunleavy and Ersan and whether or not one or more of those guys shots are falling.

-He thinks the Central Division is so weak that 43 or 44 wins might win the division.

-Because of that, the Bucks need to really focus on winning the Central because then they would get the 4th seed in the conference and have a favorable matchup with the 5th seed. It would give the Bucks the best chance they've had in a decade to advance past the first round.

-Thinks Skiles is now settling in on his 9-man rotation and it will be Jennings, Monta, Sanders, Udoh, Daniels with Dunleavy, Ersan, Moute and Udrih (while he's injured Lamb) and that will be what he'll ride.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
SkilesTheLimit
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,795

Re: Ted Davis team commentary on WSSP this afternoon 

Post#2 » by SkilesTheLimit » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:33 am

paulpressey25 wrote:Link to the podcast for this hour is here:

http://podcast.sportsradio1250.com/wssp2/3774442.mp3

My own speculation is that the Bucks now understand they need a multi-media presence to spread the gospel and that because Hammond and Skiles aren't good public spokesmen they have turned Ted Davis loose on WSSP this year.

I'm actually enjoying Ted's thoughts and commentary quite a bit when he's on. The other part is that I believe 50% of what he says is his opinion and the other 50% represents what the franchise braintrust is thinking and would like put out there. This gives us some insight into their mindset that we used to regularly get on the now defunct "Pro Hoops Show" that Sparky used to do.

For those who don't want to listen, Ted said:

-The Bucks are who they are right now. Likely a team that hovers around .500 for the year

-Whether they win or lose on a given night is essentially in the hands of Jennings, Monta, Dunleavy and Ersan and whether or not one or more of those guys shots are falling.

-He thinks the Central Division is so weak that 43 or 44 wins might win the division.

-Because of that, the Bucks need to really focus on winning the Central because then they would get the 4th seed in the conference and have a favorable matchup with the 5th seed. It would give the Bucks the best chance they've had in a decade to advance past the first round.

-Thinks Skiles is now settling in on his 9-man rotation and it will be Jennings, Monta, Sanders, Udoh, Daniels with Dunleavy, Ersan, Moute and Udrih (while he's injured Lamb) and that will be what he'll ride.

Interesting. Thanks for posting PP.

I have always liked Ted Davis and have thought of him as intellectually honest and not a company blowhard like ______ (insert any other Bucks employee's name).

Take aways for me:
-Skiles is done with the Harris/Henson experiment. Get ready to ride the pines, boys.
-Paschke gets the year off from being Kohl's mouthpiece on the radio. He can keep the "electric" all to himself.
-Ted could read me the dictionary and I'd tune in. He was born with a voice for radio.
We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees.
- Jason Kidd
The Wet Whistle
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,245

Post#3 » by The Wet Whistle » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:45 am

I definitely like Ted Davis. I wish he did the TV broadcasts instead of radio because if I'm following the game its always on TV. Anyways, I like running with a shorter rotation just disappointed it doesn't include Harris or Henson.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 25,808

Post#4 » by paulpressey25 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:51 am

You guys can draw your own conclusion after listening, but his take on Tobias seemed to be that Tobias doesn't understand the defensive system and more importantly may not have the lateral quickness to guard many of the more mobile and active small forwards in the league. He seemed to express doubt whether Tobias can defensively handle the SF spot given his physical body type.

Again, I'm guessing some of that is his own opinion and some of that represents the team's position on things.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,659

Post#5 » by AussieBuck » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:31 am

Tobes is a better defender than Monta, Dunleavy and Beno. Other than over-rotate he hasn't been bad at all defensively. "Hey Tobias, stay closer to your man on the perimeter." Fixed.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
Turd Ferguson
Rookie
And1: 160

Post#6 » by Turd Ferguson » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:00 am

His over-exaggerations on help D and his inability to recover back to his man quickly are one thing. But to say he hasn't been bad at all otherwise is purely asinine. He is without a doubt a terrible face-up defender at this point in his career, and is unquestionably worse on defense than any other guard/small forward on our team. He makes Monta look like Gary Payton defensively. And for what it's worth, Monta has very quietly been seriously stepping up his defensive effort and over all defense this last couple of weeks or so.

I know nobody wants to hear this, but to me, it almost looks like the whole inability-to-keep-his-man-in-front-of-him-on-defense thing could stem from a lack of effort on Tobias' part (BUT WE SAW HIS WORKOUT VIDEOS!!!!11!!1! HE WORKED SO HARD IN THE OFFSEAZON1!!!1!!1 HE'S A HARD WORKER11111)

The thing that concerns me most about him getting shook with only a jab step or a ball handler's first step is that, after Tobias makes the first shuffle of his feet, his next move is to either let up (since his man has already gotten around him) and put his hands over his guy's head as he tries to chase him down toward the rim, or just turn around and try to figure out what to do next, because there's already enough separation created where Tobias has no hope of even chasing down his man from behind.

The lack of effort thing really comes in to play when he shuffles his feet once and then gives up. You can say he's been coached poorly or that it's just an issue of poor technique, but the fact of the matter is that man-to-man D with someone of Tobias' size and skill is all about effort (and speed, or lack thereof). Just like it is with Monta. Or Jennings. Or literally anyone else who's on roughly the same playing field as the man he's guarding in terms of size and speed. Post D is one thing, but I really don't see how it comes down to anything but lateral quickness and effort from Tobias when guarding someone on the perimeter. It's not a complicated process to keep your man in front of you (even if he is transferring over to a new position from the one he played in his short college stint).

AussieBuck wrote:Tobes is a better defender than Monta, Dunleavy and Beno. Other than over-rotate he hasn't been bad at all defensively.

That's just simply not true.
trwi7 wrote:Monta's career has done a complete 360 since he was traded here.
Turd Ferguson
Rookie
And1: 160

Post#7 » by Turd Ferguson » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:03 am

And Tobias having one good game defensively where he managed to stay with a totally non-aggressive, almost disinterested looking Paul Pierce can't be used in a counter argument after Tobias has gotten absolutely shredded by nobodies practically every other time he's seen the floor this season. It hurts to say that.
trwi7 wrote:Monta's career has done a complete 360 since he was traded here.
AussieBuck
RealGM

Post#8 » by AussieBuck » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:35 am

Your eye test is failing you. That's ok though there's a highly paid career coach in your corner.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,376

Post#9 » by blazza18 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:47 am

I don't know what's wrong with Tobes. As AB said its a lot to do with him tending to over-rotate, and he takes forever to get back to his man. You gotta think is he playing scared on both ends ? Why isn't he learning ? Is it coaching ?

IMO it sucks he's now lost his minutes. I tend to believe if Tobias was playing next to adequate defenders he'd look a ton better. I'm not saying he's not terrible atm but I don't think he's bad enough to not get any playing time. And the guy who's replaced him hasn't been great either. And it still ticks me off that for what ever reason Daniels actually gets plays run for him. Yet Tobias a more efficient offensive player was told to stand in the corner or when he gets the ball to immediately pass it to the swag brothers.

I don't mean anything against him as a person but I can't stand watching Marquis play. And I hate that I do.

#FreeTobias
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
AussieBuck
RealGM

Post#10 » by AussieBuck » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:53 am

It's all confirmation bias brother. Skiles (and others) get an idea about a player then only remember the stuff that confirms that belief. I'm not going to pretend I know more about the nuances of NBA defenses than Scott Skiles but I'm fairly certain I'm significantly more sane.
emunney wrote:

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
mattg
General Manager
And1: 2,985

Post#11 » by mattg » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:31 am

I like Tobias as a prospect but his defense is atrocious at this point. He's stiff in his stance/has a high center of gravity and his footwork is very clumsy. He looks like a big man who isn't used to stepping out on the perimeter and guarding. You can tell he lacks some coordination in that aspect, and that's always been his physical profile IMO. He's a guy who has worked for every single bit of athletic ability he has, and isn't super naturally gifted.

I'd get his ass doing jump rope for an hour every day(if he isn't already) and see how he develops.
AussieBuck
RealGM

Post#12 » by AussieBuck » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:36 am

I'd let him play where he can significantly help the team and worry about his D when he's opponents actually started regularly lighting him up rather than just when Carmello Anthony hit some shots on him.
emunney wrote:

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
mattg
General Manager
And1: 2,985

Post#13 » by mattg » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:45 am

I have no problem with him playing, but at least recognize his terribleness on defense. He's the worst defender on the team(besides gooden lolz) because he also has bad instincts in addition to the problems I already mentioned. Yes even dunleavy is better because he's not always out of position. However Tobias is young and gifted offensively so I'd like to see him get minutes. He's just an abortion defensively at this point though.
AussieBuck
RealGM

Post#14 » by AussieBuck » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:46 am

Not true but feel free to keep repeating it. Skiles dumped him because he went 1-4 then 1-9 which you can't do when you're the new short leash guy.
emunney wrote:

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
paul
RealGM
And1: 1,038

Post#15 » by paul » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:22 am

Tobias Harris = Last years Larry Sanders.

Scotty will look just as much of a moron this time next year for not playing Tobes as he does right now for not playing Sanders last season, and a couple of posters on here will still defend him and say Tobes was crap and deserved it - and so the cycle continues. Welcome to Scott Skiles doghouse Tobes, With Larry playing and Bogut traded someone had to fill the vacancy. Pray for an injury or a trade.
paul
RealGM
And1: 1,038

Post#16 » by paul » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:24 am

Also the talk of Tobes defense being so horrendous is out of this world exaggerated, but whatever.
Chapter29
RealGM
And1: 1,220

Post#17 » by Chapter29 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:30 pm

Tobias is a poor defender and wasn't anything special on offense. Effectively overall wasn't very good for us. Daniels has been much better.

I don't have a ton of faith in Tobias and have no issue at all with him sitting.

I'll take Moute every day over him.
Giannis
is
UponUs
randy84
RealGM
And1: 6,368

Post#18 » by randy84 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:54 pm

Hilariously, the synergy numbers say otherwise on Harris.

Offensive PPP 1.04
Rank 36

Defensive PPP 0.69
Rank 21

Marquis Daniels defensive numbers are only slightly better at 0.66. However, his overall offensive PPP is only .93 ranked 133.
Nebula1
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#19 » by Nebula1 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:05 pm

paul wrote:Tobias Harris = Last years Larry Sanders.

Scotty will look just as much of a moron this time next year for not playing Tobes as he does right now for not playing Sanders last season, and a couple of posters on here will still defend him and say Tobes was crap and deserved it - and so the cycle continues. Welcome to Scott Skiles doghouse Tobes, With Larry playing and Bogut traded someone had to fill the vacancy. Pray for an injury or a trade.

Yup
randy84
RealGM
And1: 6,368

Post#20 » by randy84 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:09 pm

Just as a follow up because i know Harrison Barnes is a lot of people's wet dream on here.

Barnes numbers:

Offensive PPP .84
Rank 197

Defensive PPP 1.01
Rank 296

Difference on perception between Barnes and Harris is, as Paul can attest, GSW plays Barnes no matter what. They let him go through the growing pains. Something Skiles doesn't do with Harris.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks