ImageImage

2013 Coaching Candidates / Offseason Head Coach Thread

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

User avatar
BUCKnation
General Manager
Posts: 9,867
And1: 284
Joined: Jun 15, 2011
       

Re: 2013 Coaching Candidates 

Post#46 » by BUCKnation » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:40 pm

Woeful was on WSSP today with Bill Michaels and he asked him about Kelvin Sampson. Woeful said that if Skiles was fired, and Sampson was still available, he would be in their top 2-3 choices.
User avatar
SkilesTheLimit
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,388
And1: 753
Joined: Oct 23, 2010
Location: Pop Up Zone
     

Re: 2013 Coaching Candidates 

Post#47 » by SkilesTheLimit » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:44 pm

BUCKnation wrote:Agreed with most where Sampson and Cassell are my top guys.

With Sampson, we could make a legit run at Eric Gordon if we wanted too.


Well, we know Kelvin has Gordon's cell #.
This is about winning basketball games. This is about winning Championships.

-Wes Edens
books
Starter
Posts: 2,022
And1: 65
Joined: Jan 26, 2008
     

Re: 2013 Coaching Candidates 

Post#48 » by books » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:57 pm

SkilesTheLimit wrote:
BUCKnation wrote:Agreed with most where Sampson and Cassell are my top guys.

With Sampson, we could make a legit run at Eric Gordon if we wanted too.


Well, we know Kelvin has Gordon's cell #.


haha funny one.

am curious about Gordon's health--how much of his missed time is really just his problems with NO management? and is his leg injury bad enough that it leaves him not the same player?
User avatar
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
Posts: 29,156
And1: 3,501
Joined: Apr 18, 2006
Location: Monta Ellis have it all.
 

Re: 2013 Coaching Candidates 

Post#49 » by Baddy Chuck » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:01 pm

books wrote:
SkilesTheLimit wrote:
BUCKnation wrote:Agreed with most where Sampson and Cassell are my top guys.

With Sampson, we could make a legit run at Eric Gordon if we wanted too.


Well, we know Kelvin has Gordon's cell #.


haha funny one.

am curious about Gordon's health--how much of his missed time is really just his problems with NO management? and is his leg injury bad enough that it leaves him not the same player?

It was probably legit but he doesn't want to be there, I'm sure he milked it.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
User avatar
humanrefutation
RealGM
Posts: 13,383
And1: 1,001
Joined: Jun 05, 2006
       

Re: 2013 Coaching Candidates 

Post#50 » by humanrefutation » Tue Jan 1, 2013 1:01 am

No to Sam Cassell. That would be the homer move but he's not head coach material right now and isn't exactly learning from a premier coach in Washington.
Turd Ferguson
Pro Prospect
Posts: 936
And1: 66
Joined: Mar 12, 2012
Location: Mediocrity, WI

Re: 2013 Coaching Candidates 

Post#51 » by Turd Ferguson » Tue Jan 1, 2013 5:30 am

The more I think about Cassell, the less I believe he'd really bring anything to the table in terms of player development that would be different from any other hot assistant in the league. I think everybody saw him jumping up and down on the sideline when we played the Wiz and suddenly this is a guy our young guys are gonna get behind and he's gonna turn them into studs etc.

I guess I don't really see how Cassell would come in from a putrid franchise and really get anything going here. I feel like, if we heard the news this offseason after finishing 6-10, no matter what, people will regret the hire versus another assistant (assuming we don't get anyone notable and have to go the unproven route, as I'm sure our FO will try for a former head coach before they exhaust other options) as soon as word comes down.

The hire absolutely has to be from a winning organization, and this team would be foolish to even consider anyone from a team that's going absolutely nowhere. I realize our options for candidates who legitimately consider coming here are slim, but there are always assistants looking to take the reigns and make a name for themselves, and I'd go with literally anyone else besides Cassell given the criteria of coming from a winning organization.

An assistant hire means they're going tank mode, and since that ship has sailed, get ready for somebody completely washed up after Sampson draws interest from other more enticing teams and passes on us. Too predictable.
trwi7 wrote:Monta's career has done a complete 360 since he was traded here.
User avatar
JayMKE
RealGM
Posts: 13,442
And1: 1,876
Joined: Jun 21, 2010
Location: AZ
     

Re: 2013 Coaching Candidates 

Post#52 » by JayMKE » Tue Jan 1, 2013 8:14 am

I'm not sure what you're expecting from a coach. Nobody we bring in is going to "turn things around" on his own, that has to happen from the top. Some random no name no personality assistant from team like the Thunder or Spurs or whoever isn't going to shake some magic winning fairy dust on this team. We could get Phil Jackson and it wouldn't make much of a difference, you can't polish a turd.The reason I like Sam is because of his personality, I think he'll be a guy that players want to play for.
FREE GIANNIS
User avatar
AussieBuck
RealGM
Posts: 24,540
And1: 2,931
Joined: May 10, 2006
Location: saveourbucks.com
 

Re: 2013 Coaching Candidates 

Post#53 » by AussieBuck » Tue Jan 1, 2013 8:23 am

JayMKE wrote:I'm not sure what you're expecting from a coach. Nobody we bring in is going to "turn things around" on his own, that has to happen from the top. Some random no name no personality assistant from team like the Thunder or Spurs or whoever isn't going to shake some magic winning fairy dust on this team. We could get Phil Jackson and it wouldn't make much of a difference, you can't polish a turd.The reason I like Sam is because of his personality, I think he'll be a guy that players want to play for.

We need a modern coach. We're a problematic market so we need to draft/trade for/sign more under the radar talent. We need a great GM and a coach who plays all the right guys rather than going with "winners" "scorers" "legit big bodies" etc. We need a Morey or better and a coach who will listen to him. There's no point getting a Udoh, Hayes or Taj Gibson type guy if your coach plays them behind guys who "fill the stat sheet." Basically we need to optimise everything and right now we aren't within any facet of the organisation.
aol4532 wrote:what exactly is the difference between him (Bill Russell), and say a guy like Ryan Hollins, who is 20 lbs heavier and can get his head over the rim? He would get in foul trouble so quick, just trying to hold position.
User avatar
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
Posts: 29,156
And1: 3,501
Joined: Apr 18, 2006
Location: Monta Ellis have it all.
 

Re: 2013 Coaching Candidates 

Post#54 » by Baddy Chuck » Tue Jan 1, 2013 8:39 am

I think one thing that most of us differ from you is I believe you severely overrate Udoh's impact.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
User avatar
AussieBuck
RealGM
Posts: 24,540
And1: 2,931
Joined: May 10, 2006
Location: saveourbucks.com
 

Re: 2013 Coaching Candidates 

Post#55 » by AussieBuck » Tue Jan 1, 2013 8:47 am

Baddy Chuck wrote:I think one thing that most of us differ from you is I believe you severely overrate Udoh's impact.

Too much different +/- data for it not to be true IMO. :D Udoh's only a minor part of the larger issue anyway.
aol4532 wrote:what exactly is the difference between him (Bill Russell), and say a guy like Ryan Hollins, who is 20 lbs heavier and can get his head over the rim? He would get in foul trouble so quick, just trying to hold position.
User avatar
Bucks_MacGyver
Rookie
Posts: 1,022
And1: 158
Joined: Nov 16, 2009

Re: 2013 Coaching Candidates 

Post#56 » by Bucks_MacGyver » Tue Jan 1, 2013 3:54 pm

Is Sam Cassell a realIstic possibility?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
User avatar
CanadaBucks
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,383
And1: 312
Joined: Sep 14, 2012

Re: 2013 Coaching Candidates 

Post#57 » by CanadaBucks » Tue Jan 1, 2013 4:03 pm

While for the most part I am ok with Skiles, -it makes me smh some times when I see him do the same things over and over again. I recall laste last year when we were getting killed at the start of games and Skiles even commented on that and said how it was hurting the team. Yet every game we saw Gooden, Ilyasova and Delfino out there as the starters. Think the start Daniels experiment need to end and Skiles needs to reconcile with Dalembert
User avatar
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
Posts: 29,156
And1: 3,501
Joined: Apr 18, 2006
Location: Monta Ellis have it all.
 

Re: 2013 Coaching Candidates 

Post#58 » by Baddy Chuck » Tue Jan 1, 2013 9:09 pm

Bucks_Pre wrote:Is Sam Cassell a realIstic possibility?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Any assistant coach is pretty much a high possibility if you actually have interest in them.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
User avatar
CanadaBucks
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,383
And1: 312
Joined: Sep 14, 2012

Re: 2013 Coaching Candidates 

Post#59 » by CanadaBucks » Tue Jan 1, 2013 11:42 pm

Maybe Carlisle will be available soon
User avatar
ampd
RealGM
Posts: 15,136
And1: 1,530
Joined: Dec 06, 2010

Re: 2013 Coaching Candidates 

Post#60 » by ampd » Wed Jan 2, 2013 5:24 am

AussieBuck wrote:legit big bodies


I got so sick of hearing about that before the season. Am more than slightly amused that our 2 'legit big bodies' are both glued to the bench and we are better for it and so is our defense.
User avatar
Garbs_7
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,490
And1: 666
Joined: Jan 03, 2005
Location: Perth, Australia
     

Re: 2013 Coaching Candidates 

Post#61 » by Garbs_7 » Wed Jan 2, 2013 5:55 am

Would love to give Sampson his start here because I believe he will be a very good head coach in time. I remember players used to rave about him when he was here and it was a big loss to lose him to Houston.

Question is would he want to come here with the uncertainty of the team's future, meddling owner, lack of a star player etc? Guess it would depend a lot on whether on not Kohl sells at the end of the year and if the GM we hire brings in his own guy etc.
Image

www.saveourbucks.com

"Build for the future, not the 8th seed"
User avatar
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
Posts: 11,742
And1: 342
Joined: Feb 18, 2005
Location: Wisconsin
       

Re: 2013 Coaching Candidates 

Post#62 » by Thunder Muscle » Wed Jan 2, 2013 1:31 pm

I think realistically Kelvin Sampson is the best candidate at the moment. He seems to have good knowledge of the game, players like him, has had success as head coach at the collegiate level, and did okay with the Rockets interm job earlier. He's had ties here fairly recently and knows some of our personnel. It may not be a home run with the casual fan, but he does have name recognition.

I'm not sure how much of a X's and O's guy he is, but what about Bruce Pearl? Here is a guy that may be a little shady for college basketball, but would bring some personality and flavor. I'm a MU guy, so I wasn't a huge Pearl guy back in the day but he wins where he goes and seems to always be liked by his players. I don't know if he'd fit well in the NBA or not, but thought I'd throw him out there.

And you gotta think right now Skiles is helping his stock elsewhere. Nationally the Bucks are viewed as a nice surprise of the season. Even Hammond for that matter I guess.
TBD
User avatar
LUKE23
RealGM
Posts: 66,360
And1: 1,949
Joined: May 26, 2005
Location: Stunville
       

Re: 2013 Coaching Candidates 

Post#63 » by LUKE23 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:29 pm

Careful what you wish for.

Q: Luke Geiger, Greenfield, WI - Who are some of the possible candidates to become the permanent head coach of the Milwaukee Bucks?

A: Charles F. Gardner - Hi everyone, We have some breaking news here with Bucks GM John Hammond to sign a three-year extension with the team today, according to league sources. I will be busy with this story so may have to keep our chat a little shorter than usual. Thanks for understanding. I will try to answer a few questions. It's a bit early on a coaching search question, particularly with Jim Boylan going 6-2 thus far. I'm sure he wants to be a candidate. Who's out there? Flip Saunders, Alvin Gentry (just let go by Phoenix), Avery Johnson, to name a few.


Image
Trade Impact:

Before: 30-23, 104.4 O, 102.2 D, 93.9 Pace, 1.42 SRS, .547 TS, .154 TOV
Now: 35-36, 102.6 O, 102.3 D, 93.8 Pace, -.20 SRS, .536 TS, .156 TOV
MCW Per 36 w/MIL: 15.9 PTS, 4.0 REB, 6.3 AST, 2.0 STL, 4.0 TO, .482 TS, .256 USG, .193 TOV
User avatar
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
Posts: 11,742
And1: 342
Joined: Feb 18, 2005
Location: Wisconsin
       

Re: 2013 Coaching Candidates 

Post#64 » by Thunder Muscle » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:46 pm

It seems more like Gardner throwing out "name" guys where he didn't put alot of thought and effort into it. I wonder what the organization's plan is with Boylan and if he really will be a serious candidate. Unless they win like 60% of their games and maybe win a playoff series, I can't imagine they will go his route.
TBD
User avatar
CanadaBucks
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,383
And1: 312
Joined: Sep 14, 2012

Re: 2013 Coaching Candidates 

Post#65 » by CanadaBucks » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:49 pm

LUKE23 wrote:Careful what you wish for.

Q: Luke Geiger, Greenfield, WI - Who are some of the possible candidates to become the permanent head coach of the Milwaukee Bucks?
A: Charles F. Gardner - Hi everyone, We have some breaking news here with Bucks GM John Hammond to sign a three-year extension with the team today, according to league sources. I will be busy with this story so may have to keep our chat a little shorter than usual. Thanks for understanding. I will try to answer a few questions. It's a bit early on a coaching search question, particularly with Jim Boylan going 6-2 thus far. I'm sure he wants to be a candidate. Who's out there? Flip Saunders, Alvin Gentry (just let go by Phoenix), Avery Johnson, to name a few.


Image

Gotta be someone worse than those 3

Return to Milwaukee Bucks


Users browsing this forum: marcush, PedroGrande