ImageImage

2013 TV/Movie Thread

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

chuckleslove
RealGM
And1: 1,128

Re: 2013 TV/Movie Thread 

Post#181 » by chuckleslove » Sat Feb 9, 2013 3:03 am

This has me intrigued, but I'm a self admitted sci-fi nerd.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=do_BCA-vR9E[/youtube]
I'm dealing with cancer, it sucks, can follow along for updates if that's your thing: Chuck's cancer Go Fund Me page
ReddWing
Banned User
And1: 808

Post#182 » by ReddWing » Sat Feb 9, 2013 4:22 am

We are in a golden age of American television. House of Cards and The Americans are two more great shows added to the list.
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,551

Post#183 » by blazza18 » Sat Feb 9, 2013 12:06 pm

Finally got around to watching the Banshee pilot. Really enjoyed it. Will be another show to add to the list of good shows on currently.
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
upnorthfan
Banned User
And1: 16

Post#184 » by upnorthfan » Sat Feb 9, 2013 10:05 pm

OMG!! You guys know how excited I get when I see a show a really really like, and I just watched another one. Watched episode 1 of House of Cards (because of you guys talking about it), and hands down that is going to be a wonderful show.

Wife said I cant join netflix because I already indulge in too many things, but I cant wait for it to come out in dvd. Man, that show excites me a lot. Very well done, exceptional acting and writing. Very intertesting. I like it already.

Man that was a great pilot episode!!!!
Ill-yasova
RealGM
And1: 2,552

Post#185 » by Ill-yasova » Sat Feb 9, 2013 11:47 pm

upnorthfan wrote:OMG!! You guys know how excited I get when I see a show a really really like, and I just watched another one. Watched episode 1 of House of Cards (because of you guys talking about it), and hands down that is going to be a wonderful show.

Wife said I cant join netflix because I already indulge in too many things, but I cant wait for it to come out in dvd. Man, that show excites me a lot. Very well done, exceptional acting and writing. Very intertesting. I like it already.

That's why they have the one month free trial :wink:
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,158
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#186 » by Kerb Hohl » Sat Feb 9, 2013 11:55 pm

Saw Book of Mormon last night. Was very entertaining and well done for a musical (I'm obviously not a major musical-goer) but my expectations were supposed to be "downright hilarious." Wasn't even close in that regard. I'm not even sure it is possible to do that in a musical, though, I guess.
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM
And1: 1,417

Post#187 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:05 am

I'm still cruising through House of Cards. Pretty much every episode (chapter) has been entertaining except the 8th one. That was the first that felt like it was simply filler. Heard the final stretch of episodes are really good so I'm pumped to see how it all ends.
BucksRuleAll22 wrote:Calvin Johnson is horrible and not a top WR.
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,551

Post#188 » by blazza18 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:21 am

Yea just started House of Cards. Its brilliant.
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
upnorthfan
Banned User

Post#189 » by upnorthfan » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:23 am

Ill-yasova wrote:
upnorthfan wrote:OMG!! You guys know how excited I get when I see a show a really really like, and I just watched another one. Watched episode 1 of House of Cards (because of you guys talking about it), and hands down that is going to be a wonderful show.

That's why they have the one month free trial :wink:

I was using an old prexisting account. However I did not realize you could cancel during the free trial and not be charged anything :) Thanks,
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM

Post#190 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:06 am

Wow, House of Cards gets pretty damn dark.
upnorthfan
Banned User

Post#191 » by upnorthfan » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:49 pm

PkrsBcksGphsMqt wrote:Wow, House of Cards gets pretty damn dark.

Man I am so glad you made me realize I could watch all 13 episodes in the 30 day trial :) I am through 5 episodes and here is my overview...

It's West Wing meets Newsroom. It's on that level. Netflix spent 100 million dollars on season one, and they are already writing it's second season.

Kevin Spacey reminds me of Toranaga in the book Shogun by James Clavel. Mastermind strategist. The power, the manuvering, the enemies, the friends, the friends who one day may become enemies and vice versa.

It's Washington politics front and center, from the Secretary of State on down. They seem to leave the President and VP alone in writing the show.

Intellectually stimulating. Captivating! Highly recomened it.
Max Green
RealGM
And1: 4,668

Post#192 » by Max Green » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:13 pm

NBC canceled Do No Harm after 2 episodes. Also The Walking Dead returns tonight with New Episodes.
Vice President of Parker-Nation.
#Jabariunleashed
#OwnTheFuture
:wizard: Maxtradamus
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM

Post#193 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:14 pm

upnorthfan wrote:It's Washington politics front and center, from the Secretary of State on down. They seem to leave the President and VP alone in writing the show.[/b] Highly recomened it.

Just wait. :D

Frank Underwood reminds me so much of Walter White in the later seasons of Breaking Bad, absolute thirst for power and always seems to be one step ahead of everyone else. I do get a little bit of the Newsroom vibe (though I'm not a fan of that show) and I've never seen West Wing.
upnorthfan
Banned User

Post#194 » by upnorthfan » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:15 pm

PkrsBcksGphsMqt wrote:
upnorthfan wrote:It's Washington politics front and center, from the Secretary of State on down. They seem to leave the President and VP alone in writing the show.[/b] Highly recomened it.

Just wait. :D

Frank Underwood reminds me so much of Walter White in the later seasons of Breaking Bad, absolute thirst for power and always seems to be one step ahead of everyone else. I do get a little bit of the Newsroom vibe (though I'm not a fan of that show) and I've never seen West Wing.

Nothing to date matches West Wing, but the process of how things gets done in Washington is brought to light in this series, at least so far.

Last night I also watched the first episode of The Americans (because of this thread). Wow, thats another good show. Someone in here said in a post we are living in a great television era.

I believe that.
Ill-yasova
RealGM
And1: 2,552

Post#195 » by Ill-yasova » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:16 pm

Hey, guess what?!?
jeremyd236
General Manager

Post#196 » by jeremyd236 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:09 pm

I just finished the first season of House of Cards. Without having any prior knowledge of it after the first episode, I felt it was Newsroom meets the Social Network (some of you will know why this is funny - or ironic, rather). I disagree that it's got components of the West Wing in it - the two shows have absolutely nothing in common other than they involve politics. I'm not the biggest fan of the show, but my girlfriend enjoys it so I went through with it. I'm not trying to bash the show, but there's a few things I just have to get off my chest:

**SPOILER ALERT** for those who haven't finished it (DO NOT KEEP READING):

It's unrealistic to the point that I simply cannot take it seriously. Example: A drug addict and alcoholic who has only been clean for 1 year, just lost 12,000 jobs in his district, is disliked by his own party, etc. was going to run for Governor? And that's just one tiny example in an entire show is not plausible to the degree that it's difficult to take seriously - and I hope nobody does.

I mean the inhumanity of each character really drives me crazy. Are we really supposed to believe a person that a person as cold, manipulative, and just plain evil could ever become the Majority Whip of the House? Or Vice President of the United States? He murdered a Congressman in cold blood, after ruining his life.

I absolutely 100% understand that TV shows are supposed to be "entertaining", and not necessarily realistic, as I undoubtedly know somebody is going to say. However, I recognize this and I watch shows that are entertaining and don't pretend to be realistic. I love The Walking Dead, I love Lost, I love Breaking Bad, etc. But House of Cards depicts U.S. politics - something that is real (compared to zombies, time travel, etc.) - in a way that suggests its really an alternate universe instead of an accurate depiction of what politics are really like.

With that said, I will continue to watch. Kevin Spacey and Robin Wright give great performances. It's definitely riveting, especially down the stretch of the first season. I was sad to see what happened to Congressman Russo, I was really cheering for him. Just another pawn in Frank's game I guess. I hope Zoe takes him down.
jimmybones
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,685

Post#197 » by jimmybones » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:13 pm

Glad I took the advice here on House of Cards, two episodes in and I'm hooked. Also excited for Walking Dead to return.
upnorthfan
Banned User

Post#198 » by upnorthfan » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:26 pm

jeremyd236 wrote:I just finished the first season of House of Cards. Without having any prior knowledge of it after the first episode, I felt it was Newsroom meets the Social Network (some of you will know why this is funny - or ironic, rather). I disagree that it's got components of the West Wing in it - the two shows have absolutely nothing in common other than they involve politics. I'm not the biggest fan of the show, but my girlfriend enjoys it so I went through with it. I'm not trying to bash the show, but there's a few things I just have to get off my chest:

I did clarify and say nothing comes close to West Wing :) I struggled using it as a comparison, but it is till a great show very well done. I am through six episodes heading now to watch number 7.
FrieAaron
General Manager
And1: 5,055

Post#199 » by FrieAaron » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:14 pm

GrendonJennings wrote:Saw Book of Mormon last night. Was very entertaining and well done for a musical (I'm obviously not a major musical-goer) but my expectations were supposed to be "downright hilarious." Wasn't even close in that regard. I'm not even sure it is possible to do that in a musical, though, I guess.

I think "The Book of Mormon" is amazing, but I'm also a big musical fan. I think it's pretty damn hilarious, throughout. Only a couple of jokes fall flat for me. But even simple lines like "I'm going to take you back to biblical times: 1823" crack me up.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,852

Post#200 » by Turk Nowitzki » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:15 pm

Speaking of The West Wing, I personally just discovered that the whole series is on Netflix. I've been meaning to watch it, along with many other shows, for a long time and I finally dove in this week. I've only watched the first 7 episodes of season 1 and I'm completely addicted. It feels awesome to know that there are 7 full seasons of the show out there for me to watch though I've heard it's not as good in the later years.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks