Blow it up = good
Kohl sells = hope

Things have the potential to be coming together nicely
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,061

Re: Aldridge: Skiles Unlikely To Return Next Season 

Post#22 » by Thunder Muscle » Mon Jan 7, 2013 6:36 pm

I guess the thing that is the most confusing to me is...

Skiles (per sources) may be unhappy with the direction of the team, almost as if he either wants to go all-in or start from scratch. Okay, that is what many here want. BUT we all assume Kohl is the cause of the mediocre team, right?

But then it says Skiles like Kohl, and there are no issues b/w the 2. So that suggests to me that Skiles may not like Hammond's vision of the future. And if that is the case, it would suggest Hammond has a strong control on everything --- contrary to what many think.

It's really confusing how our organization is run...
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,048

Post#23 » by paulpressey25 » Mon Jan 7, 2013 6:37 pm

If this report is accurate, it would appear that Hammond has won the internal power struggle for this week and the braintrust will keep him on another couple years because he's perhaps becoming a good corporate man that does what the braintrust wants.

And Skiles lost his attempt to have control of everything so he'll move on. Unless Kohl changes his mind, which he sometimes does.

But if Kohl is set on this, then you have to let Skiles move on now. Let Boylan coach interim and let Hammond and the Horsemen make their best attempt to position the team long-term. But we will probably attempt to do the impossible again and have Skiles win now while also trying to figure out how to position things long-term.

If Hammond is staying though, I think that deal needs to get done shortly so he's got some leverage and power at the trade deadline with other teams.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
jr lucosa
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,151

Post#24 » by jr lucosa » Mon Jan 7, 2013 6:39 pm

Nebula1 wrote:Skiles walks = good
Hammond stays = good
Blow it up = good
Kohl sells = hope

Things have the potential to be coming together nicely

Yep.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Post#25 » by Thunder Muscle » Mon Jan 7, 2013 6:40 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:If Hammond is staying though, I think that deal needs to get done shortly so he's got some leverage and power at the trade deadline with other teams.

I've been preaching this for a few weeks now. Please lets decide our GM's fate, either way, soon so we can have a set GM around the deadline. PLEASE. I just want somebody that has the future as part of the equation. Otherwise I have a bad feeling we'll have Hammond making wild desparate trades.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Post#26 » by LUKE23 » Mon Jan 7, 2013 6:42 pm

I don't see why Hammond staying is a positive. I am glad Skiles is moving on, though I don't think we'll be in the market for one of the stud coaches, at least we'll get to see more of the young guys. But what has Hammond done to deserve more time? He's a solid drafter but completely inept at finding efficient scoring and putting together a win now team.
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,847

Post#27 » by coolhandluke121 » Mon Jan 7, 2013 6:45 pm

N8Frog wrote:
It's really confusing how our organization is run...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN4RaPfgP1U[/youtube]
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Post#28 » by Thunder Muscle » Mon Jan 7, 2013 6:47 pm

LUKE23 wrote:I don't see why Hammond staying is a positive. I am glad Skiles is moving on, though I don't think we'll be in the market for one of the stud coaches, at least we'll get to see more of the young guys. But what has Hammond done to deserve more time? He's a solid drafter but completely inept at finding efficient scoring and putting together a win now team.

I don't have any real strong cases for keeping Hammond. He hasn't been exceptional in bringing in NBA talent. He'll find a decent one here and there, like Mike Dunleavy Jr. However overall he has not and his trades have been disasterous. His drafting has been pretty good for the most part, but hasn't hit a home run yet. Sanders, especially where he was picked, may end up being a really good one for him. Jennings has been good, but I don't think has been the stud we first anticipated. Henson looks like a player. But yeah, I don't think Hammond is a no-brainer to get an extension. I mean most importantly we've missed the playoffs 3 of 4 years, and are far from a lock again this season.
randy84
RealGM
And1: 6,411

Post#29 » by randy84 » Mon Jan 7, 2013 6:55 pm

GrendonJennings wrote:
LUKE23 wrote:Jennings and Ellis have played well together, forming easily the least efficient volume backcourt in the entire NBA.

19.4 + 17.8 = 37.2

You tell me how you find 2 players cheaper to replace 37 PPGZ!

Just let Tobias take 30 shots a game.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,048

Post#30 » by paulpressey25 » Mon Jan 7, 2013 7:01 pm

LUKE23 wrote:I don't see why Hammond staying is a positive.

It isn't.

But this is the way all our GM's have worked since Kohl took over. They get power for the first couple years. Then once Kohl sees they aren't accomplishing any great magic, he and the committee take over to a much greater extent. Kohl and the committee figure that they can't do much worse than the guy they hired.

Larry Harris his last year was simply the front man who dealt with other GM's and the league on things. But Kohl's cronies pretty much called the shots as to what got done.

I think Hammond is in the same boat here.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#31 » by europa » Mon Jan 7, 2013 7:03 pm

I think we'll find out a lot about Hammond if he does stay beyond this season. Even if Kohl offers him an extension he doesn't have to take it - especially if he realizes the team is a mess and he'll be little more than a figurehead. Unless he's hoping Kohl sells and the next owner gives him more complete autonomy.
Nothing will not break me.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Post#32 » by Thunder Muscle » Mon Jan 7, 2013 7:08 pm

europa wrote:Unless he's hoping Kohl sells and the next owner gives him more complete autonomy.

I doubt he'd want that as I would assume a new owner would clean house.
whatthe_buck!?
Banned User
And1: 163

Post#33 » by whatthe_buck!? » Mon Jan 7, 2013 7:09 pm

worthlessBucks wrote:Our franchise is dynamic.

Keeping Ellis and Jennings together would be crucial to any long-term hopes of building a contending team

"They've played well together," Hammond said.

Terrible.

Holy sh*t REALLY HAMMOND????!?!?!!? Jesus Christ that can't be true, he couldn't have said that. And if he did it must be gamesmanship or something to not let it out that he's desperate to trade one or the other or both. If he made that statement and actually MEANT it I swear that sh*t makes me wanna give myself a lobotomy to remove the part of my brain that makes me a Bucks fan. Jesus man there really isn't any hope for us is there guys smh...
randy84
RealGM
And1: 6,411

Post#34 » by randy84 » Mon Jan 7, 2013 7:09 pm

That is why IMO this year is a year to get the young guys alot of playing time and try to develop them. Whatever success they have this year is unsustainable since Skiles will be gone, Ellis will be gone, Dunleavy will be gone, Beno will be gone. The majority of the team will be gone after this year. And even if you want to resign them, you will be overpaying to keep them.
tski1972
Head Coach
And1: 3,598

Post#35 » by tski1972 » Mon Jan 7, 2013 7:16 pm

just because Hammond says "they've played well together" doesn't mean he believes it.
http://twitter.com/MarkIsOld

"Because of Giannis, the once lousy Bucks are back in the NBA conversation." - 60 Minutes
SkilesTheLimit
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,795

Post#36 » by SkilesTheLimit » Mon Jan 7, 2013 7:23 pm

Not to defend Hammond, but if I was him I would be saying Jennings and Ellis are playing well together too.

Especially if I planned to field offers of either player, what good would it do for me to point out anything other than a positive?

There is some salesmanship that goes into the GM job. Ask Larry Harris.
We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees.
- Jason Kidd
whatthe_buck!?
Banned User

Post#37 » by whatthe_buck!? » Mon Jan 7, 2013 7:24 pm

tski1972 wrote:just because Hammond says "they've played well together" doesn't mean he believes it.

He better not f*cking believe it. He's the GM of the team, if he believes it he's either r*tarded or he doesn't watch most of the games, and either way we would be completely f*cked...
GHOSTofSIKMA
RealGM
And1: 8,006

Post#38 » by GHOSTofSIKMA » Mon Jan 7, 2013 7:26 pm

hammond has drafted well and taken some decent swings with his trades. other than gooden who was a skiles guy you cant really hate on anything else he did...... it just hasnt worked out.

i think we need to play it safe now tho for a minute... keep acquiring young assets paired with a better developmental coach, and see if we can hit one out of the park for a guy like harden instead of the other lesser "stars" weve targeted earlier. those guys havent hurt us, but they havent worked out either. we need to be thinking along the lines of a max guy from here on out. as far as im concerned until we have a 50 win team we should always have a max slot available to jump..... always. dont ever give that room up except maybe for neutral value expirings.
whatthe_buck!?
Banned User

Post#39 » by whatthe_buck!? » Mon Jan 7, 2013 7:28 pm

SkilesTheLimit wrote:Not to defend Hammond, but if I was him I would be saying Jennings and Ellis are playing well together too.

Especially if I planned to field offers of either player, what good would it do for me to point out anything other than a positive?

There is some salesmanship that goes into the GM job. Ask Larry Harris.

Wow, u guys are certainly giving Hammond the benefit of the doubt. I hope you guys are completely right and he doesn't believe that even slightly, I mean lets keep in mind tho that this is the guy who asked for Ellis over Curry in the Bogut trade...
GHOSTofSIKMA
RealGM
And1: 8,006

Post#40 » by GHOSTofSIKMA » Mon Jan 7, 2013 7:42 pm

whatthe_buck!? wrote: I mean lets keep in mind tho that this is the guy who asked for Ellis over Curry in the Bogut trade...

are you proposing he wanted ellis more for his talent or simply to gaurd against another key player being shelved long term for health reasons?

Return to Milwaukee Bucks