ImageImage

BREAKING: Bucks/Skiles part ways

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

9abovetherim
Banned User
And1: 73

Re: BREAKING: Bucks/Skiles part ways 

Post#241 » by 9abovetherim » Tue Jan 8, 2013 3:47 pm

Wow, maybe this team will be finally watchable after all.
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Post#242 » by EastSideBucksFan » Tue Jan 8, 2013 4:02 pm

I really have zero faith in Jim Boylan making this team look better.

By all accounts, Skiles had this team overachieving.

This will be interesting to say the least.

If at the very least, if he can get Marquis out of the rotation and Tobias back in I will be happy.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,009

Post#243 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Jan 8, 2013 4:05 pm

Quotes:

“Scott and I met yesterday after practice and after some honest discussion, we both came to the conclusion that it was best to part ways,” Hammond said. “It is never an easy decision to make, but in the end a decision we felt was best for both parties. I want to thank Scott for his hard work, dedication and the imprint he leaves on our team and our entire organization. We all wish him and his family well.”

In four-plus seasons as head coach of the Bucks, Skiles compiled a 162-182 regular season record (.471), including a 46-36 mark in the 2009-10 campaign when the Bucks took Atlanta to seven games in the First Round of the NBA Playoffs. He was named the 11th head coach in Bucks franchise history on April 21, 2008, replacing Larry Krystkowiak.

“John and I met and mutually agreed that a coaching change would be in the best interest of both parties,” Skiles said.

“The Senator, the people of Wisconsin, and especially those in the Bucks organization have been very kind to me, my wife, and family. I am truly grateful for our time here. We are leaving with many fond memories.

“I believe this team can and will have success in the next 50 games and postseason. I want to thank the players for all of their hard work. I wish them all the best.”

Just a really weird situation.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,059

Post#244 » by Thunder Muscle » Tue Jan 8, 2013 4:07 pm

I have a hard time openly rooting for a tank and I don't know how far they can fall anyway with the State of the East, but I do hope...

1. Monta is traded. All signs say he's gone anyways, he isn't a good fit, thus deal him. He has to have some value to teams.
2. Go youth and hope for the best. If we lose, we lose. If we win, great. I'd like to see Harris back in there, Henson get minutes. No Gooden, Dalembert is doses at most, etc.

I'm also curious how Ersan reacts to this. If he gets consistent PT and without the thought of Skiles yanking him, maybe he improves some more. Hard to say, but could happen.

But for me, #1 is most important. I've tried to like Ellis, I think he is talented but he just hasn't been a good fit and you need to parlay the asset into something else since he's going to leave.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,059

Post#245 » by Thunder Muscle » Tue Jan 8, 2013 4:10 pm

DrugBust wrote:Quotes:

“Scott and I met yesterday after practice and after some honest discussion, we both came to the conclusion that it was best to part ways,” Hammond said. “It is never an easy decision to make, but in the end a decision we felt was best for both parties. I want to thank Scott for his hard work, dedication and the imprint he leaves on our team and our entire organization. We all wish him and his family well.”

In four-plus seasons as head coach of the Bucks, Skiles compiled a 162-182 regular season record (.471), including a 46-36 mark in the 2009-10 campaign when the Bucks took Atlanta to seven games in the First Round of the NBA Playoffs. He was named the 11th head coach in Bucks franchise history on April 21, 2008, replacing Larry Krystkowiak.

“John and I met and mutually agreed that a coaching change would be in the best interest of both parties,” Skiles said.

“The Senator, the people of Wisconsin, and especially those in the Bucks organization have been very kind to me, my wife, and family. I am truly grateful for our time here. We are leaving with many fond memories.

“I believe this team can and will have success in the next 50 games and postseason. I want to thank the players for all of their hard work. I wish them all the best.”

Yeah, I agree. :-?
kanyon
Junior
And1: 212

Post#246 » by kanyon » Tue Jan 8, 2013 4:13 pm

Does this mean we resign CD=R?
CanadaBucks
Assistant Coach
And1: 314

Post#247 » by CanadaBucks » Tue Jan 8, 2013 4:14 pm

N8Frog wrote:I have a hard time openly rooting for a tank and I don't know how far they can fall anyway with the State of the East, but I do hope...

1. Monta is traded. All signs say he's gone anyways, he isn't a good fit, thus deal him. He has to have some value to teams.
2. Go youth and hope for the best. If we lose, we lose. If we win, great. I'd like to see Harris back in there, Henson get minutes. No Gooden, Dalembert is doses at most, etc.

I'm also curious how Ersan reacts to this. If he gets consistent PT and without the thought of Skiles yanking him, maybe he improves some more. Hard to say, but could happen.

But for me, #1 is most important. I've tried to like Ellis, I think he is talented but he just hasn't been a good fit and you need to parlay the asset into something else since he's going to leave.

Sums up my feelings for the most part too. I can't ever cheer for losses even though I see the upside. Let's see what happens and I can't say I am sorry to see Skiles go.
Nebula1
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#248 » by Nebula1 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 4:19 pm

Had to double check the thread to make sure it's really done. Great news for the Bucks and I think this franchise is really close to turning the corner.

Boylan is an excellent choice (for the remainder of the season) and I welcome heavy minutes from Gooden.

I expect some blow it up trades coming (Ersan, Ellis, Jr.) and hopefully an additional 1st is added to the cupboard.

Bucks should sink deeper into the lottery (target is 6/7) and finally has a shot a big time player.

I expect this team to be sold and that's part of all this. The NBA likely has a number of potential buyers lined up once the arena stuff is worked out and if so, we have the potential at the Stern lotto bounce.

Summer of 2013.. Bucks could have all the tools they need to become a young, fast, fun team to watch again.

VERY VERY exciting times for Bucks fan.

I take all this back if the Bucks make a 'win-now' trade.

January 15th Ersan becomes eligible for trade..
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,026

Post#249 » by paulpressey25 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 4:19 pm

Based on the press release above, Hammond has won the power struggle. At least for the moment. Because Skiles wanted Hammond out.

Let's see if Hammond has the power then to make personnel moves at the deadline.

Based on prior Kohl experiences, my guess is the braintrust want to see if the team plays better the next 30-days under a different coach. And if they don't, maybe just maybe we will be sellers at the deadline. Indy and the Bulls are starting to pull away as it relates to the "division race"
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
bigkurty
General Manager
And1: 1,511

Post#250 » by bigkurty » Tue Jan 8, 2013 4:20 pm

BrooklynBulls wrote:
DrugBust wrote:
BrooklynBulls wrote:I don't know what you guys know of Boylan. But if the Boylan I know hasn't learned a LOT about coaching, you guys are in for some pain. The Bulls had Skiles, Boylan, and Vinny Del Negro coach, and there's no doubt who the worst one was.

We want losses.

Well he didn't make us lose THAT much (we sucked anyway). It's more like he's going to run an awful offense, rotations that make no sense in the world, make zero adjustments...you'll see. It's been years, so maybe he's improved. But for the Bulls, even when they were out of the playoffs, he was so bad to watch that most fans couldnt bear to see it anymore.

He's going to play the **** out of Gooden. He did with the Bulls anyway.

I might cry if that happens. What is really sad is I remember when we hired Skiles and you all in Chicago basically said this is what is going to go down. I think we all believed it due to our inept FO and owner but we held out some hope for awhile for something more. Alas, Hope does not spring eternal with this franchise.
unklchuk
Head Coach
And1: 94

Post#251 » by unklchuk » Tue Jan 8, 2013 4:23 pm

My half-comic, half-serious theory is that Skiles learned well from Cap'n Jack. Noted that the Bucks organization cannot tolerate a dissenter. An "embarrassment."

The difference is that Jackson threw a ton of garbage at the wall, getting branded persona non grata almost immediately. (Big smile on his face.) Skiles was probably more threat than action. But his description of what he was willing to do likely made them need fresh underwear.

I love it (not really) that my front office faints at the sight of blood... (And then makes passive aggressive decisions when it regains consciousness.)
AFAIK, IDKM
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#252 » by europa » Tue Jan 8, 2013 4:25 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:Based on the press release above, Hammond has won the power struggle. At least for the moment. Because Skiles wanted Hammond out.

It's interesting how the power dynamic has swung in recent months. At the end of last season Skiles was the preferred one. As I posted yesterday I think we'll learn a lot about Hammond now. Did he sell his soul to Kohl to stay on beyond this season or does he hope to curry favor with a new owner should one come in?
Nothing will not break me.
DickCunningham
Rookie
And1: 238

Post#253 » by DickCunningham » Tue Jan 8, 2013 4:26 pm

DrugBust wrote:Quotes:

This is just all B.S. In my opinion, these people hate each other, but don't want to screw up their next chances for employment. The bottom line is that Herb needs to sell the team to a pro-Milwaukee ownership group, and we start anew. The last couple of decades have been a gaseous disaster for the team and its long-time fans.

Hammond: FU, Scott. Your rotations suck.
Skiles: FU, John. I hate this team.

Skiles: Are you finally ready to buy me out, old man? I warned you how this season would go.
Kohl: Take some more of my dollars for you and and your families, and go. Just go.

Kohl: Who else we got?
Steinmiller: Better get that Boylan guy in here. I've got some new ideas for Hammond too.
"Our goal is to become a championship team," Kidd said.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,330

Post#254 » by crkone » Tue Jan 8, 2013 4:27 pm

I hope we either see a heavy dose of Gooden and the Vanilla Gorilla or a youth movement with minimal vets. Not both please.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#255 » by europa » Tue Jan 8, 2013 4:27 pm

DickCunningham wrote:Hammond: FU, Scott. Your rotations suck.
Skiles: FU, John. I hate this team.

Skiles: Are you finally ready to buy me out, old man? I warned you how this season would go.
Kohl: Take some more of my dollars for you and and your families, and go. Just go.

Kohl: Who else we got?
Steinmiller: Better get that Boylan guy in here. I've got some new ideas for Hammond too.

This could very well be how the situation went down. Minus a swear word or two. :D
Nothing will not break me.
unklchuk
Head Coach
And1: 94

Post#256 » by unklchuk » Tue Jan 8, 2013 4:31 pm

Nebula1 wrote:Had to double check the thread to make sure it's really done. Great news for the Bucks and I think this franchise is really close to turning the corner.

Boylan is an excellent choice (for the remainder of the season) and I welcome heavy minutes from Gooden.

I expect some blow it up trades coming (Ersan, Ellis, Jr.) and hopefully an additional 1st is added to the cupboard.

Bucks should sink deeper into the lottery (target is 6/7) and finally has a shot a big time player.

I expect this team to be sold and that's part of all this. The NBA likely has a number of potential buyers lined up once the arena stuff is worked out and if so, we have the potential at the Stern lotto bounce.

Summer of 2013.. Bucks could have all the tools they need to become a young, fast, fun team to watch again.

VERY VERY exciting times for Bucks fan.

I take all this back if the Bucks make a 'win-now' trade.

January 15th Ersan becomes eligible for trade..

Damn. That's all-around one hell of a post. If that becomes the Bucks bus, I'm jumping on board. I'm fine with Boylan as a temp -- and I think he's pro vet enough to handle it well for the team. Blow up trades from this owner? I can only hope. I like the idea of a Stern lotto bounce. ;) New majority owner and next year's team could not only be young, fast and fun -- they could have fresh energy and a new reputation. And a honeymoon with re-engaged casual fans.

And I agree that a Win Now trade would be a depressing reaffirmation of the stupid status quo.
AFAIK, IDKM
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,009

Post#257 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Jan 8, 2013 4:31 pm

Like everyone else I'm assuming, I'm going to be really interested in seeing what the rotations look like in the next week. Like I said, this is a pretty weird situation. I mean, why now? It isn't like the Bucks were expected to be anything more than .500ish on the season, and .500ish is what they are. I don't think anyone is really underperforming relative to what was expected. Hell, Sanders is doing better than most thought.

So if Skiles goes now, there has to be a reason. Aldridge's report may have been the key, but outside of the die-hards, did anyone notice?

So what could Skiles have been doing that didn't jive with what Hammond wanted to see?
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Post#258 » by EastSideBucksFan » Tue Jan 8, 2013 4:38 pm

Howie Magner ‏@howiemag

Left out of Skiles/#Bucks quotes: "It was unprecedented. It was the first truly mutual breakup in relationship history"
Nebula1
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#259 » by Nebula1 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 4:39 pm

DrugBust wrote:Like everyone else I'm assuming, I'm going to be really interested in seeing what the rotations look like in the next week. Like I said, this is a pretty weird situation. I mean, why now? It isn't like the Bucks were expected to be anything more than .500ish on the season, and .500ish is what they are. I don't think anyone is really underperforming relative to what was expected. Hell, Sanders is doing better than most thought.

So if Skiles goes now, there has to be a reason. Aldridge's report may have been the key, but outside of the die-hards, did anyone notice?

So what could Skiles have been doing that didn't jive with what Hammond wanted to see?

I'm hoping it's the January 15th Ersan deadline. Blow up starts next week.. hopefully.
SkilesTheLimit
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,795

Post#260 » by SkilesTheLimit » Tue Jan 8, 2013 4:41 pm

DrugBust wrote:Like everyone else I'm assuming, I'm going to be really interested in seeing what the rotations look like in the next week. Like I said, this is a pretty weird situation. I mean, why now? It isn't like the Bucks were expected to be anything more than .500ish on the season, and .500ish is what they are. I don't think anyone is really underperforming relative to what was expected. Hell, Sanders is doing better than most thought.

I have a feeling that some of the players have approached Hammond about playing time, lack of consistent rotations, and overall unhappiness with Skiles. It's not out of the realm of possibility that Hammond approached Skiles about these reservations, and I could see Skiles telling Hammond to **** off and let me coach my team and then basically come to the realization that their relationship isn't going to work anymore on a personal or professional level.

Thus, they can "part ways" and Skiles and call it a difference of opinion, or whatever they called it.
We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees.
- Jason Kidd

Return to Milwaukee Bucks