ImageImage

Head Coach candidates

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

tyland
Veteran
And1: 422

Re: Head Coach candidates 

Post#21 » by tyland » Tue Jan 8, 2013 7:54 am

Another option would be Mo Cheeks. Did a reasonable job in Philly a few years back and has been involved in the success of OKC in recent years.
SAVE OUR BUCKS
Twitter: @thetytimes
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,722

Post#22 » by AussieBuck » Tue Jan 8, 2013 8:11 am

GrandAdmiralDan wrote:I can't say I know that much about Mike Malone off the top of my head. What are the reasons he would be a good hire?

He's making Mark Jackson look like a great coach.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
DanoMac
General Manager
And1: 3,737

Post#23 » by DanoMac » Tue Jan 8, 2013 8:14 am

Right now, here's my lost, in order

Sloan
Jeff Van Gundy
Kelvin Sampson
Mike Malone
McMillan
Brian Shaw (Pacers assistant)
Ron Adams (Bulls assistant)
David Fizdale (Heat assistant)
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,623

Post#24 » by blazza18 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 8:30 am

Why are people putting Van Gundy on their list. I thought he was more hated than Skiles with his players ?
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
AussieBuck
RealGM

Post#25 » by AussieBuck » Tue Jan 8, 2013 8:34 am

blazza18 wrote:Why are people putting Van Gundy on their list. I thought he was more hated than Skiles with his players ?

That's Stan and he's hated more by opposing players I think?
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 22,781

Post#26 » by Baddy Chuck » Tue Jan 8, 2013 8:37 am

I don't think any coach with a recognizable name (besides Sampson if that counts) would ever come here.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
blkout
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,914

Post#27 » by blkout » Tue Jan 8, 2013 8:38 am

tyland wrote:I think he did a reasonable job with the talent he had available. They put on a reasonable showing in London.

What did you dislike about his coaching?

His rotations are pretty average, Nielsen and Andersen were garbage but still managed 20~ mpg in the Olympics, he doesn't really know how to get anything out of bigs offensively. I felt like his offense was really disorganized and too perimeter oriented, especially given how poorly they shot from outside they were still taking 20+ shots from three every game.

Although as I'm typing I'm realizing my number 1 concern is how **** he is at utilizing bigs, but he is decent at using jump shooting power forwards so he'd probably be quite good for Ersan.
GrandAdmiralDan
RealGM
And1: 1,291

Post#28 » by GrandAdmiralDan » Tue Jan 8, 2013 8:39 am

AussieBuck wrote:
blazza18 wrote:Why are people putting Van Gundy on their list. I thought he was more hated than Skiles with his players ?

It is Stan, yes, but it is not opposing players. It's his own players, just like Skiles (who finished second to SVG in that poll).

I do like Jeff Van Gundy, but that has a 0% chance of happening while Kohl owns the team. JVG holds too big a grudge (it's well known in the NBA world, not to mention obvious during the handful of national Bucks broadcasts JVG has done) against Kohl regarding Kohl's role in ousting SVG from the Wisconsin Badgers gig.
97-98
Nick Van Exel (LAL) on defending the Stockton-Malone pick-and-roll: "Yeah,
I got a way to defend it. Bring a bat to the game and kill one of them."
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,623

Post#29 » by blazza18 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 8:41 am

AussieBuck wrote:

**** >>> Me. Mind went blank.
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
AussieBuck
RealGM

Post#30 » by AussieBuck » Tue Jan 8, 2013 8:42 am

Baddy Chuck wrote:I don't think any coach with a recognizable name (besides Sampson if that counts) would ever come here.

Coach's will go where the money is for the most part.
emunney wrote:

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
Epicurus
RealGM
And1: 867

Post#31 » by Epicurus » Tue Jan 8, 2013 8:44 am

Reading these threads on coaching is like being on the set of "Groundhog Day". Get a list of the 100 or so persons in the wolrld who have significant NBA sideline experience and then throw a dart. Except for about two guys, the rest will produce about the same results, all things being equal. Now that doesn't mean that anyone off the street or from an internet forum can do the job; but the idea that some noteworthy difference exists in those who qualify is just anti-empirical. Luck (including compatibility with the contributing players) matters. All the guy of which I speak have the same knowledge, the same bag of tricks, even nearly the same temperments. Oh well, in truth, reality biases are not as much fun as fictions.
AussieBuck
RealGM

Post#32 » by AussieBuck » Tue Jan 8, 2013 8:52 am

I'd probably avoid coaches who think Drew Gooden is a good defender.
emunney wrote:

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
Chuck Diesel
RealGM
And1: 11,556

Post#33 » by Chuck Diesel » Tue Jan 8, 2013 9:07 am

David Blatt is regarded as the best professional american coach outside the NBA. He has recently stepped down as head coach of the Russian national team after leading them to Bronze in the London Olympics. Has had a lot of success and knows the game as well as anyone I've ever heard speak about basketball. Strict disciplinarian, was very tough on the Russian guys at times. I don't know if his coaching style could work on the NBA on a personal level. A guy like Stephen Jackson might want to go all up in his mouth.

Andrea TRINCHIERI runs the most beautiful offense I've seen in quite some time. Up tempo, so much movement. I'd love to see our backcourt operate under this dude. Not sure if he speaks English. Was recently named head coach of the Greek national team.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11gxXeyk3EU[/youtube]
tyland
Veteran
And1: 422

Post#34 » by tyland » Tue Jan 8, 2013 9:11 am

Chuck Diesel wrote:David Blatt is regarded as the best professional american coach outside the NBA. He has recently stepped down as head coach of the Russian national team after leading them to Bronze in the London Olympics. Has had a lot of success and knows the game as well as anyone I've ever heard speak about basketball. Strict disciplinarian, was very tough on the Russian guys at times. I don't know if his coaching style could work on the NBA on a personal level. A guy like Stephen Jackson might want to go all up in his mouth.

Andrea TRINCHIERI runs the most beautiful offense I've seen in quite some time. Up tempo, so much movement. I'd love to see our young money backcourt operate under this dude. Not sure if he speaks English. Was recently named head coach of the Greek national team.

Both interesting options. Is Blatt still coaching in the Russian league?

With Trinchieri, he may come across cheaply just to avoid the financial mess in Greece. Who cares is he cannot speak English. Never stopped the Bucks broadcasters from interviewing Delfino.
SAVE OUR BUCKS
Twitter: @thetytimes
Chuck Diesel
RealGM

Post#35 » by Chuck Diesel » Tue Jan 8, 2013 9:15 am

Blatt coaches in Tel Aviv and Trinchieri in Cantu, Italy. He is the new coach for the Greek national team during the summer. He actually speaks English very well.
Chuck Diesel
RealGM

Post#36 » by Chuck Diesel » Tue Jan 8, 2013 9:18 am

Also, these guys are really good Euroleague coaches. I don't know they they could just come over and become really good NBA coaches right away.
ReddWing
Banned User
And1: 808

Post#37 » by ReddWing » Tue Jan 8, 2013 10:27 am

Sampson, Cassell, or Sloan. What about Bruce Pearl?
carmelbrownqueen
RealGM
And1: 42

Post#38 » by carmelbrownqueen » Tue Jan 8, 2013 12:09 pm

Sampson or Sloan are the only guys on my list
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan

"We don't accept anything but winning. We don't accept anything but playing hard." - John Hammond
Nebula1
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#39 » by Nebula1 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 12:29 pm

Put me down for Sampson or McMillan
eagle13
Head Coach
And1: 107

Post#40 » by eagle13 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 12:47 pm

MY LIST