europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Re: Kohl and Hammond Working on Extension 

Post#81 » by europa » Tue Jan 8, 2013 6:58 pm

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
europa wrote:
BucksRUS wrote:Woelfuls Latest

Gery has a mention of a Hammond extension in his latest Bucks possible sale column.

Woelfel's right about Hammond being well respected around the league.

executives around the league must not be privy to all the league scuttlebutt and front office insider news that this board has access too :roll:

Lot of stuff posted here has eventually been confirmed nationally. I wouldn't be so quick to roll your eyes.
Nothing will not break me.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 25,840

Post#82 » by paulpressey25 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 7:03 pm

What I'm wondering is whether or not Hammond has gotten the green light now to blow it up.

I'm not thrilled keeping Hammond around. But if Kohl truly will allow him to gut this thing at the trade deadline, I'll take the outcome as a positive.

The two questions I'd like to know the answer to are:

a) Is some of this related to failed sale discussions with Heisley? So now Kohl thinks he'll hang onto the team another 2-4 years

b) How hard is the lack of ticket revenue hitting Kohl? The attendance has now reached Atlanta Hawks levels from years past. The entire upper deck is empty and the lower deck only 2/3rd's full. People just aren't coming to games even with a "16-16" competitive 8th seed team.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
GrandAdmiralDan
RealGM
And1: 1,291

Post#83 » by GrandAdmiralDan » Tue Jan 8, 2013 7:08 pm

BuckPack wrote:This is true. Fully expect Hammond to sign an extension.

Ugh

This part is really disturbing

"It's a part of what we all deal with," Hammond said. "We have an owner that is committed to winning; we have an owner that is committed to having the Milwaukee Bucks here long-term. Nothing has changed in that regard. Nothing is going to change in that regard.
97-98
Nick Van Exel (LAL) on defending the Stockton-Malone pick-and-roll: "Yeah,
I got a way to defend it. Bring a bat to the game and kill one of them."
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 44,902

Post#84 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Jan 8, 2013 7:09 pm

<sigh>
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
europa
RealGM

Post#85 » by europa » Tue Jan 8, 2013 7:10 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:What I'm wondering is whether or not Hammond has gotten the green light now to blow it up.

Doubt it. Again I think the best we can hope for is the younger guys start getting more of a chance to play with Skiles gone and maybe Ellis is traded assuming anyone wants him. As long as Kohl remains the owner I doubt we'll see the team blown up.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,213

Post#86 » by LUKE23 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 7:10 pm

The only way I can keep an open mind about a JH extension is if we're going to be allowed to rebuild. If it's still win now mandate, keeping Hammond is a really bad move.
Nebula1
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#87 » by Nebula1 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 7:13 pm

He's not going to say, "Okay we give up"

But I agree if the status quo remains, then all of this is useless.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks

Post#88 » by paulpressey25 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 7:17 pm

LUKE23 wrote:The only way I can keep an open mind about a JH extension is if we're going to be allowed to rebuild. If it's still win now mandate, keeping Hammond is a really bad move.

That is the fascinating part about this. If Skiles was our problem with front office moves, then Hammond should have no problem turning things around. He's got a flexible deck of cards to work with.

But I wonder if Hammond won his power battle by telling Kohl the team was under-achieving under Skiles and that this roster should really have a 20-12 record instead of 16-16?

Or did he win by telling Kohl that in order to recapture fan interest and have a chance at long-term success, they need to play the young guys, showcase the vets and blow it up? And that keeping Skiles around any longer would prevent all that?

I'm praying Hammond's message was the latter but I could see the former.

Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#89 » by Badgerlander » Tue Jan 8, 2013 7:17 pm

pathetic
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,743

Post#90 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Jan 8, 2013 7:20 pm

I don't think anyone here thought tanking was possible with this roster provided they played the guys that should get minutes. A crappy back-court isn't going to do enough to derail a .500ish season if Ersan and Henson split PF minutes, Dunleavy and Harris get SF minutes, and Sander and Udoh do they same at C.

If they go that route we're all probably happy regardless of what happens at PG and SG. If the opportunity arrises to break up the SWAG BROS, do it. But I don't see a way to get into the top ten unless Gooden gets on the court.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,213

Post#91 » by LUKE23 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 7:22 pm

Yeah, we're 4.5 games out of the 10th pick already (6 in the L column).
europa
RealGM

Post#92 » by europa » Tue Jan 8, 2013 7:23 pm

In the past year we've seen Bogut ask for a trade behind the scenes because he was frustrated with Skiles; Moute privately hope the team wouldn't match his offer sheet; Capt. Jack go off on Skiles and Ilyasova take some shots at Skiles (although he took some at Hammond too). With the exception of Ilyasova's comments about the roster, there's been a lot of anti-Skiles sentiment expressed by players on this team. There hasn't been similar negative sentiments directed toward Hammond.

Hammond had plenty of ammo to get Kohl back on his side. If there was a feeling players were tuning Skiles out as Hammond alluded to today Skiles really had no chance if he began making demands of any kind.
Treebeard
Head Coach
And1: 1,739

Post#93 » by Treebeard » Tue Jan 8, 2013 7:23 pm

Not a fan of a Hammond extension, but I can hope that he works for long-term fixes.

I fully expected that both Hammond and Skiles would be retained through the end of season, working from the premise that Kohl is selling the club, and doesn't want the management salaries and methods to hinder a sale. A new owner would be set up with a pretty good player payroll July 1, and could pick his own GM & Coach. Maybe the sale is happening - maybe not. I could also see a new owner looking for some continuity in the player personnel part of the FO.

Is the expectation that Boylan runs the show through the rest of the season? If so, that still works within the idea of new ownership having a say going into next year.
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,834

Post#94 » by coolhandluke121 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 7:24 pm

Again, it is my strong suspicion that when Hammond got the job, Kohl said "get me players that I consider good, and even though I have no clue what that is I'm happy to rely on the opinions of casual fans and the media that caters to them, and while you're at it don't give away any of the decent players we already have, and you're absolutely NOT allowed to obtain high draft picks by losing no matter how weak the team appears to be at the trade deadline. Welcome to Milwaukee."

I'm not sure many GM's could have done significantly better if my suspicion is correct.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,743

Post#95 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Jan 8, 2013 7:26 pm

God I keep forgetting LRMAM is even on this team. If there's anyone on the team that could be in line for a trade, he's it.
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#96 » by Badgerlander » Tue Jan 8, 2013 7:29 pm

europa wrote:In the past year we've seen Bogut ask for a trade behind the scenes because he was frustrated with Skiles; Moute privately hope the team wouldn't match his offer sheet; Capt. Jack go off on Skiles and Ilyasova take some shots at Skiles (although he took some at Hammond too). With the exception of Ilyasova's comments about the roster, there's been a lot of anti-Skiles sentiment expressed by players on this team. There hasn't been similar negative sentiments directed toward Hammond.

Hammond had plenty of ammo to get Kohl back on his side. If there was a feeling players were tuning Skiles out as Hammond alluded to today Skiles really had no chance if he began making demands of any kind.

I don't think there are too many coaches out there that could squeeze many more wins out of this crappy roster that Hammond put together, not that I'm a Skiles fan, but Hammond put the turds on his plate and said bon appetit.
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
europa
RealGM

Post#97 » by europa » Tue Jan 8, 2013 7:31 pm

DocHoliday wrote:
europa wrote:In the past year we've seen Bogut ask for a trade behind the scenes because he was frustrated with Skiles; Moute privately hope the team wouldn't match his offer sheet; Capt. Jack go off on Skiles and Ilyasova take some shots at Skiles (although he took some at Hammond too). With the exception of Ilyasova's comments about the roster, there's been a lot of anti-Skiles sentiment expressed by players on this team. There hasn't been similar negative sentiments directed toward Hammond.

I don't think there are too many coaches out there that could squeeze many more wins out of this crappy roster that Hammond put together, not that I'm a Skiles fan, but Hammond put the turds on his plate and said bon appetit.

As I said before those were turds Skiles wanted too. That was his cuisine of choice. He wanted Bogut gone and got his wish. He wanted Jennings and got his wish. He wanted guys like Gooden and got his wish. It's a messy bed but by no means was Hammond the only one who's soiled it.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks

Post#98 » by paulpressey25 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 7:32 pm

europa wrote:there's been a lot of anti-Skiles sentiment expressed by players on this team. There hasn't been similar negative sentiments directed toward Hammond.

I know this is Festivus day for you (as mine was last March with the Bogut trade) but are any of these players with negative comments any good? I'd be more concerned about players tuning out if we were talking about Kobe, Harden, Melo, Blake Griffin, etc.

I mean we're talking about complaints from Stephen Jackson and Bogut primarily. Clubhouse lawyers extraordinaire. At the end Mo and Bobby didn't like Larry K. either. Nor did Yi's chair.

Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,155
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#99 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue Jan 8, 2013 7:33 pm

We've argued this a million times but that is mostly Hammond's fault for hiring the guy and marrying himself to the system. Unless Kohl meddled more than we thought, Hammond hired Skiles and is therefore at fault when the guy wants to make idiotic decisions underneath you and you actually execute them at his wish.

For the record, "wanting Bogut gone" has not proven to be negative at all. We got a crappy player in return but unless we extend Ellis for stupid money, the trade is completely irrelevant to me.
BuckPack
Starter
And1: 802

Post#100 » by BuckPack » Tue Jan 8, 2013 7:33 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:b) How hard is the lack of ticket revenue hitting Kohl? The attendance has now reached Atlanta Hawks levels from years past. The entire upper deck is empty and the lower deck only 2/3rd's full. People just aren't coming to games even with a "16-16" competitive 8th seed team.

Not nearly as bad as you'd think. Revenue sharing ended up being a lot better than anticipated.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks