ImageImage

Kohl and Hammond Working on Extension

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

Max Green
RealGM
And1: 4,668

Re: Kohl and Hammond Working on Extension 

Post#61 » by Max Green » Tue Jan 8, 2013 6:16 pm

I'm guessing whatever direction we go will depend on how we play this next month or so. If Boylan is able to get this team to play well then there probably won't be any significant trades at the deadline unless it's a win-now trade. If we start to free fall by going on the big losing streak then I can see Hammond trading Daly, Duns etc... and tanking the rest of the season.
Vice President of Parker-Nation.
#Jabariunleashed
#OwnTheFuture
:wizard: Maxtradamus
kebzach
Bench Warmer
And1: 11

Post#62 » by kebzach » Tue Jan 8, 2013 6:16 pm

coolhandluke121 wrote:It's not up to him at all. Kohl could demand that Hammond acquire high-profile players despite the lack of assets, and Hammond would have to do it or get canned. It's entirely possible that Hammond wants to build through the draft and go young, but has been forced into making "win-now" moves at the same time. Trying all along to win the right way while humoring Kohl at the same time.

Granted, some of the win-now moves Hammond made could have been a lot better, but I think it's still relevant to ask whether those moves were entirely his idea.

Ok, I will play along with your thought...and if that's true that Hammond has made these moves in spite of his best wishes, and if it's true (it is) that he's interested in being extended by the Bucks, then what should make us think that anything but more of the same will occur in the future?

I won't necessarily argue that some or most of the "win now" moves weren't Hammond's preferred options. But if he's willing to continue to work for Kohl, then he's at least passively agreeing to be part of the problem. And because of that, I don't want him.
Bfinkish
Sixth Man
And1: 126

Post#63 » by Bfinkish » Tue Jan 8, 2013 6:19 pm

DrugBust wrote:Haven't you guys been telling me that Hammond is actually smart and knows that tanking is the way to go but he simply wasn't able to?

Maybe the Senator's mind has changed after witnessing how futile it is to 'win-now'. Perhaps it's become evident that the Bucks need a rebuild, and the reason Skiles was let-go is it became apparent he wasn't the right guy to coach a young rebuilding squad?

It would make sense.

this
God is good.
Faede
Sophomore
And1: 28

Post#64 » by Faede » Tue Jan 8, 2013 6:20 pm

Of the two, Hammond is definitely the better to keep. I have concerns that we won't be able to attract a net positive coach to Milwaukee, but, the likelihood is pretty high that it'll just be a net neutral in terms of coaching anyways.

Hammond's quotes always tend toward rebuilding with youth and making sure the salary cap is in good shape. I'm interested to see what happens when he isn't, presumably, pushing against Skiles.

Most importantly to me... every quote from every player that I've seen REALLY appreciates John Hammond. Even a nutcase like Steven Jackson comes out and says.. yeah, I want to work for him.

The only way to win in the NBA is to attract super star talent. That happens three ways. Trading assets for one, drafting one or getting one in free agency.

The bucks have a lot of decent assets now and have removed much of the non-asset anchors. John Hammond has really drafted very well in the position he was in. Getting one in free agency seems pretty impossible for Milwaukee.. but, maybe, just maybe, if we have a GM that players appreciate, that might be deemed as a selling point.

Who knows. Either way, if Hammond was around next year, I wouldn't be upset by any stretch of the imagination. And were he allowed to work his plan that he hints about in many of his interviews... all the better! Skiles was likely one anchor holding that plan back. Now Kohl on the other hand........
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#65 » by Badgerlander » Tue Jan 8, 2013 6:25 pm

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/features/rumors
Hammond is also in the final year of his contract, and since winning Executive of the Year in 2009-10, his moves have left Milwaukee stuck on the treadmill of mediocrity.

Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 661

Post#66 » by Jollay » Tue Jan 8, 2013 6:29 pm

Would love to see Hammond extended. I have always said I would judge him primarily on his draft picks, and since the Alexander fiasco its hard to say he has done anything other than very well in that department.

This deadline is really key for him. The pipe dream of a "total rebuild" apparently persists on this board, but he has a real opportunity this year to shape what could be a solid young team for years to come if he can ship a few vets for solid deals at the deadline and get a coach who can develop young talent.

I agree that now would not be a horrible time to play some vets more purely to showcase. The young guys can wait at least another month to get optimum playing time.

Yes, I admit I am biased a little toward Hammond...the guy is so nice...
BuckPack
Starter
And1: 802

Post#67 » by BuckPack » Tue Jan 8, 2013 6:32 pm

This is true. Fully expect Hammond to sign an extension.
Badgerlander
RealGM

Post#68 » by Badgerlander » Tue Jan 8, 2013 6:33 pm

BuckPack wrote:This is true. Fully expect Hammond to sign an extension.

why? $?

Spoiler:

Nebula1
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#69 » by Nebula1 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 6:33 pm

Wasn't Hammond just hired before the Alexander pick? Not making an excuse for him, but it seems reasonable that the franchise had already decided on BOA.
Godgers
Banned User
And1: 117

Post#70 » by Godgers » Tue Jan 8, 2013 6:35 pm

I cant stand Hammond and I think hes just as bad as Skiles. But who knows since Kohl is the dumbest owner ever in sports and who knows the crap he does with the team.

All I know is Im 28 years old and Kohl will hopefully die before me and I can have some hope for the Bucks again. Kohl is never giving this team up.

Tanking doesnt matter because this team makes bad decisions. They would just blow a top 3 draft pick anyway.
BuckPack
Starter

Post#71 » by BuckPack » Tue Jan 8, 2013 6:39 pm

Nebula1 wrote:Wasn't Hammond just hired before the Alexander pick? Not making an excuse for him, but it seems reasonable that the franchise had already decided on BOA.

They blew up the entire scouting department one month before the draft. That's why they ended up with Alexander.

Interstingly, Hammond's best attribute may be his drafting. Has done pretty well in that regard--Alexander notwithstanding.

The Bucks thinking is that it's far easier to replace a HC than it is to entirely rebuild the front office again and they are not as dissatisfied w/ the job Hammond has done as they are with the job Skiles has done. Hence, Hammond over Skiles.
Badgerlander
RealGM

Post#72 » by Badgerlander » Tue Jan 8, 2013 6:40 pm

Spoiler:

LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,213

Post#73 » by LUKE23 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 6:41 pm

Any word on length of extension?
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#74 » by europa » Tue Jan 8, 2013 6:42 pm

BuckPack wrote:
The Bucks thinking is that it's far easier to replace a HC than it is to entirely rebuild the front office again and they are not as dissatisfied w/ the job Hammond has done as they are with the job Skiles has done. Hence, Hammond over Skiles.

We've seen flashes from Henson this season. Harris showed them last season when given a legitimate opportunity. Sanders has blossomed this season. It's not hard to envision a scenario where Hammond told Kohl that he's drafted guys who can play but Skiles hasn't given them the time they need. If players were going to Hammond complaining about Skiles and his often bizarre rotations and lineup decisions that's more ammo to use against him.
Nothing will not break me.
Nebula1
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#75 » by Nebula1 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 6:48 pm

BuckPack wrote:
Nebula1 wrote:Wasn't Hammond just hired before the Alexander pick? Not making an excuse for him, but it seems reasonable that the franchise had already decided on BOA.

They blew up the entire scouting department one month before the draft. That's why they ended up with Alexander.

Interstingly, Hammond's best attribute may be his drafting. Has done pretty well in that regard--Alexander notwithstanding.

Yeah he's put together a nice core of young guys and I give him a pass on Alexander. Guess we'll see where he goes from here.

Thanks for the updates.
BuckPack
Starter

Post#76 » by BuckPack » Tue Jan 8, 2013 6:48 pm

LUKE23 wrote:Any word on length of extension?

Heard 3, but that's not definitive yet. He's without question sticking around though.
BucksRUS
Analyst
And1: 12

Post#77 » by BucksRUS » Tue Jan 8, 2013 6:48 pm

Woelfuls Latest

Gery has a mention of a Hammond extension in his latest Bucks possible sale column.
Trade S. Jackson soon. NJ seems like a nice place for him.
dogswithbeesintheirmouths
Head Coach
And1: 1,985

Post#78 » by dogswithbeesintheirmouths » Tue Jan 8, 2013 6:49 pm

Yeah he's done well in the draft. But he hasn't acquired an additional 1st round pick in his tenure. In fact the Bucks haven't had 2 in one draft since 1998. If the Bucks had a real focus on building through the draft they'd get more picks.

This deadline and off-season is critical to the future of this team. With Hammond on board it keeps the door open for not making major changes. Just more of the patchwork approach that guarantees mediocrity.
Ruben Quevedo
Pro Prospect
And1: 466

Post#79 » by Ruben Quevedo » Tue Jan 8, 2013 6:51 pm

Who cares?

Kohl still owns the team. That's all you need to know.

(I'm not buying the notion that Hammond convinced him to rebuild for one second)
GHOSTofSIKMA
RealGM
And1: 7,929

Post#80 » by GHOSTofSIKMA » Tue Jan 8, 2013 6:53 pm

europa wrote:
BucksRUS wrote:Woelfuls Latest

Gery has a mention of a Hammond extension in his latest Bucks possible sale column.

Woelfel's right about Hammond being well respected around the league.

executives around the league must not be privy to all the league scuttlebutt and front office insider news that this board has access too :roll:

Return to Milwaukee Bucks