ImageImage

Kohl and Hammond Working on Extension

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

Run-MKE 311
Senior
And1: 9

Re: Kohl and Hammond Working on Extension 

Post#141 » by Run-MKE 311 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 10:33 pm

I am neutral on this, nobody else that is out there really jumps to my mind.

This is a crucial next 12-18 months for this entire organization, should be interesting to watch.
Ball so hard.
InsideOut
Lead Assistant
And1: 534

Post#142 » by InsideOut » Tue Jan 8, 2013 10:58 pm

Siefer wrote:
El Duderino wrote:
InsideOut wrote:I don't get the people that blame Skiles for the coaching AND for the players that were brought in. I wonder what those people feel Hammond does all day? Does he also get Sklies his coffee in the morning?

It would be interesting to know just how much influence Skiles had on various trades and signings since he took the job with Hammond?

Did he have influence on just some of the moves or on all of them? If say Skiles only had influence on certain moves, which ones were they? Was he against some of the moves and if so, which ones?

What we do know is that Skiles was clearly "win now" in his mindset, and he had "his" guys whom he thought best contributed to that. I don't think it's a coincidence that he had guys like Malik Allen and Drew Gooden on his roster multiple times.

Didn't he have to have this mindset because the owner told both the GM and Skiles to win now?

If Skiles was both coaching the team AND telling Hammond how to do his job it depresses me even more that Hammond could get an extension. That would mean Hammond is even more useless than I thought he was. If Hammond is still here next year I will assume it is because Kohl could get him cheap to be his yes man.

If Hammond was so good and so well thought of around the league there is no way he takes a cheap job with the Bucks being Kohl's yes man over taking a job with another organization. That just makes no sense to me. Think about that. Hammond is a great GM and well respected around the league but he takes a minimum wage GM job with the Bucks?! I'm not buying that. What I will buy is that people think he is a nice guy and like him.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 25,840

Post#143 » by paulpressey25 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 11:01 pm

AussieBuck wrote:This is about the most depressing news since we dropped to 6th in the Oden/Durant draft.

I think that night was worse for me personally.

If we fired Hammond, Kohl would still be running things. Had we finished second in that lotto, we'd have Durant and be a 50-win team right now.

That lotto was our one chance to escape Kohl's mediocrity.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
BigDoggyStyle
Senior
And1: 49

Post#144 » by BigDoggyStyle » Tue Jan 8, 2013 11:15 pm

BuckPack wrote:
paulpressey25 wrote:b) How hard is the lack of ticket revenue hitting Kohl? The attendance has now reached Atlanta Hawks levels from years past. The entire upper deck is empty and the lower deck only 2/3rd's full. People just aren't coming to games even with a "16-16" competitive 8th seed team.

Not nearly as bad as you'd think. Revenue sharing ended up being a lot better than anticipated.

Is there any indication of how Hammond getting an extension will affect the potential for trades? I would think that trades are more likely given that he's returning, and that they wouldn't have to be win-now type deals. Still hoping for an Ellis trade.
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,244

Post#145 » by jakecronus8 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 12:12 am

paulpressey25 wrote:
AussieBuck wrote:This is about the most depressing news since we dropped to 6th in the Oden/Durant draft.

I think that night was worse for me personally.

If we fired Hammond, Kohl would still be running things. Had we finished second in that lotto, we'd have Durant and be a 50-win team right now.

That lotto was our one chance to escape Kohl's mediocrity.

Yep. That was the worst sports day of my life. I was destroyed. My chest hurts thinking about it.
Do it for Chuck
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#146 » by europa » Wed Jan 9, 2013 12:13 am

I still feel the kick in the nuts Stern delivered that night.

Bogut-Horford. What might've been. What should've been.
Nothing will not break me.
ReddWing
Banned User
And1: 808

Post#147 » by ReddWing » Wed Jan 9, 2013 12:22 am

Count me in on the group of Hammond supporters. I realize that he has made mistakes but I trust in him to rebuild this team. Fear the Deer and Glass Redd/Glass Bogut crapped on the last few years. We don't trade for or sign Salmons if our well paid franchise SG would have stayed healthy. We probably don't trade for Jax without Salmons contract. The unexpected excitement of FTD instantly made us a contender. That led to signing Gooden/Salmons and bringing in Maggette---which wasn't that bad of a move at the time. Gooden was a mistake but I have to believe that Kohl had a hand in that. There was alot of buzz in the city after the FTD run and they wanted to keep it going. And then Bogut was hurt the next few years to the present day. I am certain we are a playoff team with a healthy Bogut last year and perhaps the year before that. If he stays healthy, no Monta and no Dalembert. Trading Bogut for Monta was a pure Kohl move to get a playoff spot.

I trust Hammond because he has drafted well. LRMAM, Jennings, Meeks, Sanders, Leuer, Tobes, and Henson were all solid picks. He has one bust. Give this guy another shot in the lottery because there is only so much he can do drafting in the teens.
KidA24
General Manager
And1: 7,148

Post#148 » by KidA24 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 12:55 am

LUKE23 wrote:The only GM's I can see that have been with their teams greater than five years, and stayed after being sub .500 after five years are:

Petrie (Kings)
Colangelo (Raptors)
Grunfeld (Wizards)

Solid company.

Finally getting to the thread, if it's mentioned after this I apologize, but you missed Presti, who was 195-199 after 5 years as Thunder GM.

I'm not shocked at all by this move, I just wish we had some semblance of an idea as to where the franchise was headed. After hearing Woeful this morning saying how "Skiles had huge input on who was brought in, including Magette and Stephen Jackson" I don't know what to think.
Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,889

Post#149 » by BUCKnation » Wed Jan 9, 2013 1:09 am

europa wrote:I still feel the kick in the nuts Stern delivered that night.

Bogut-Horford. What might've been. What should've been.

:cry:
Nebula1
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#150 » by Nebula1 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 1:11 am

I'll never forget that night.
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#151 » by REDDzone » Wed Jan 9, 2013 3:14 am

Just saw this now. Came to post it here, and lo and behold you dudes have a 10 page thread already. Classic. :)

The bad news is Hammond may be extended, the good news is I get to continue saving all that money I would normally have spent on Bucks games.

Be Mediocrity!
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,313

Post#152 » by trwi7 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 3:22 am

The best news is I don't have to spend 30 seconds changing the name of my twitter account.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,313

Post#153 » by trwi7 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 3:24 am

ReddWing wrote:Listening to Hammond speak reminds me of Daffy Duck or some other cartoon character. I can just picture him bouncing off the walls.

Reminds me of Porky Pig. Ba-dee, ba-dee, ba-dee that's all folks.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
Sigra
RealGM
And1: 1,221

Post#154 » by Sigra » Wed Jan 9, 2013 8:44 am

midranger wrote:Interesting.

Not really. :sleep2:

As predictable as it can be. Always the only logical thing to do. One of the best GMs in NBA. You keep him offcourse.
Sigra
RealGM

Post#155 » by Sigra » Wed Jan 9, 2013 8:49 am

What a great day for me. Reading delusional haters cry?

There are some things money can't buy. For everything else there's MasterCard. :devil:
stellation
RealGM
And1: 8,904

Post#156 » by stellation » Wed Jan 9, 2013 9:08 am

Sigra wrote:

What a great day for me. Reading delusional haters cry?

There are some things money can't buy. For everything else there's MasterCard. :devil:

AB isn't a hater, he's just a lover that has been burned at the temple of Hammond one too many times. He has a differing opinion to you, I'd draw a parallel for you on how common that may be (or how you could be viewed as a hater) but you frankly flip/flop on opinions so much that it'd be hard to do.

He's one of my Antipodean bitches, you're welcome to touch them but please speak to me about the price first.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Sigra
RealGM

Post#157 » by Sigra » Wed Jan 9, 2013 9:26 am

stellation wrote:frankly flip/flop on opinions so much that it'd be hard to do.

Oh yea? Let me tell you something about you. You are....hmmm...well, you....

Damn it. I wanted to say something about you in response but I honestly can't remember I ever saw you posting before. I see that you are here from 2005 and that you have some posts but honestly I don't remember you :dontknow:
stellation
RealGM
And1: 8,904

Post#158 » by stellation » Wed Jan 9, 2013 9:34 am

Sigra wrote:
stellation wrote:frankly flip/flop on opinions so much that it'd be hard to do.

Oh yea? Let me tell you something about you. You are....hmmm...well, you....

Damn it. I wanted to say something about you in response but I honestly can't remember I ever saw you posting before. I see that you are here from 2005 and that you have some posts but honestly I don't remember you :dontknow:

:D I mean no harm, I find it endearing.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 22,612

Post#159 » by Baddy Chuck » Wed Jan 9, 2013 9:37 am

So let's say we stay the course and keep Beno, MDJ and Monta for a playoff push and they expire.

He inherited the bad contracts of Gadzuric, Bell and Simmons. After a slew of bad moves (Maggette, Jackson, Salmons, Gooden) the only one we have left is Gooden. You could argue Ersan may end up as a bad deal as well. Can we really say he did a good job here? I don't think so, time could've solved the problems of bad contracts better then Hammond did. He shuffled junk for 4 years and is left with a bad contract (or 2) to show for it.

He inherited the assets of Redd, Bogut, Sessions, Yi, Mo Will and Villanueva. Through any trade involving these players the only assets we will have to show is Ekpe Udoh. Can you say he did a good job here? I don't really think you can.

We have made the playoffs one time and will likely return this season. 2/5 years in the playoffs with likely no advancement. Did he do a good job there? 40% doesn't pass in any system that I know of.

He has done a solid job drafting. He turned some mediocre picks into some decent players from the looks of it. Two point guards drafted after Jennings look better, no one is really better then Luc, no one is really better then Sanders, theres players better then Tobes but we haven't seen a whole lot of him yet and he completely blew the Alexander pick. Has he done a good job here? Yes, that Alexander pick is a huge dark spot on a solid resume.

After 5 seasons we will have only made the playoffs twice and the only player besides draft picks or players already here that is on the team is Ekpe Udoh.

He started with 3 bad contracts, 5 assets, 5 first round pick and 5 second round picks. He is sitting here with 1 (arguably 2) bad contracts, 1 asset and 5 (6 with Lamb) players through the draft to build with. You will also have cap space so whatever we can get there you can add.

I don't really see how you can say he's been good.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,674

Post#160 » by AussieBuck » Wed Jan 9, 2013 9:59 am

Baddy Chuck wrote:
I don't really see how you can say he's been good.

You have to have fallen in love with his tough talk when hired and then ignore all the evidence since. Or you have to believe that he's been thwarted at every turn by Kohl/Skiles.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter

Return to Milwaukee Bucks