ImageImage

How good is Larry Sanders

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,213

Re: How good is Larry Sanders 

Post#16 » by LUKE23 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 8:57 pm

Baddy Chuck wrote:I mean, look at Ibaka percetanges throughout his career outside of the paint. He has a very good jumper, Sanders does not. Both are garbage guys in the paint but Ibaka is a much more rounder player on offense.

As of today, I'd agree. I believe his jumper has improved between year 3 and year 4 though.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#17 » by LUKE23 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 8:57 pm

Turd Ferguson wrote:
Every single player in our frontcourt is soft.

:rofl: :rofl:
JBucks
Analyst
And1: 393

Post#18 » by JBucks » Tue Jan 8, 2013 8:58 pm

Turd Ferguson wrote:Every single player in our frontcourt is soft.

Pretty much. EDIT: let me qualify this. Sanders can sometimes play tough but is too dumb to harness it into anything resembling an advantage.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#19 » by LUKE23 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 8:58 pm

JBucks wrote:A grossly overrated player who looks good on the Bucks because they have the least amount of talent in the league. Also, bound to be paid by newly minted John Hammond with a $60 million contract.

This really isn't true. If you want to include the backcourt in the above, I won't argue. But Sanders being near the lead league in blocks and defensive rating has little to do with how bad the Bucks are.

There seems to be a mentality from some that says, Bucks = bad, therefore, every Bucks player = bad. Not how it works.
Turd Ferguson
Rookie
And1: 160

Post#20 » by Turd Ferguson » Tue Jan 8, 2013 8:58 pm

europa wrote:I said last season I thought Sanders could follow a similar trajectory that Ibaka enjoyed and nobody agreed with me. :(

I still don't see Larry making a jump to that level of discipline, coordination, and ability to finish around the rim. Although there are things Larry excels at now at a higher rate than Ibaka, I'd probably put Ibaka as one floor above Larry's ultimate ceiling. Here's to hoping Larry proves me wrong.
trwi7 wrote:Monta's career has done a complete 360 since he was traded here.
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#21 » by europa » Tue Jan 8, 2013 9:00 pm

Turd Ferguson wrote:
europa wrote:I said last season I thought Sanders could follow a similar trajectory that Ibaka enjoyed and nobody agreed with me. :(

I still don't see Larry making a jump to that level of discipline, coordination, and ability to finish around the rim. Although there are things Larry excels at now at a higher rate than Ibaka, I'd probably put Ibaka as one floor above Larry's ultimate ceiling. Here's to hoping Larry proves me wrong.

I'm not sure it happens either but I do think Sanders has quality offensive potential. I think he has good form on his jumper, for example. But it seems like the further away from the basket he gets the looser his game becomes. Because of that, I'm not sure he'll master that aspect of his game or develop it the way Ibaka has. But I do think the potential is there.
Nothing will not break me.
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 22,612

Post#22 » by Baddy Chuck » Tue Jan 8, 2013 9:03 pm

I like Sanders, but I don't think he has much offensive potential. He's much more DeAndre Jordan on offense then Ibaka.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
Turd Ferguson
Rookie
And1: 160

Post#23 » by Turd Ferguson » Tue Jan 8, 2013 9:04 pm

europa wrote:
Turd Ferguson wrote:

I'm not sure it happens either but I do think Sanders has quality offensive potential. I think he has good form on his jumper, for example. But it seems like the further away from the basket he gets the looser his game becomes. Because of that, I'm not sure he'll master that aspect of his game or develop it the way Ibaka has. But I do think the potential is there.

Like I said, the potential is there, but with I just don't see him putting everything together and being as complete a player as Ibaka currently is. I still see him improving somewhat (assuming no string of in-game meltdowns on his part) over the next 1-2 years, where I do see Ibaka kind of staying at/dropping off ever so slightly from his numbers that he's currently putting up offensively. Larry's got a long way to go to get to that level, but I really like his game so far, and would look to extend him on something reasonable, even if this season were his actual ceiling.
trwi7 wrote:Monta's career has done a complete 360 since he was traded here.
A Diddy2231
Analyst
And1: 106

Post#24 » by A Diddy2231 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 9:04 pm

To the guys who hate Sanders..do you hate him because of how he likes to showboat from time to time? If so, then get bent..it's good to have a player with some heart
Johnny wrote:You betrayed me! You're not good. You, you're just a chicken. Chip-chip-chip-chip-cheep-cheep.
Nebula1
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#25 » by Nebula1 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 9:13 pm

When Sanders came into the League he was always looking for his offense and would even shoot the jumper. Even though he was not effective, Skiles has crushed that part of his game ala Andrew Bogut to the point where he no longer even looks for it.

I'm a big fan of Larry Sanders no different than the majority here.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,888

Post#26 » by BUCKnation » Tue Jan 8, 2013 9:28 pm

Baddy Chuck wrote:I like Sanders, but I don't think he has much offensive potential. He's much more DeAndre Jordan on offense then Ibaka.

Yep. I think he could be a better version of Jordan, since he has become a decent free throw shooter and is already better at defense according to his stats. He just needs to stay on the floor 30+ min. every night and limit his jumper use to an absolute minimum.
MasterChef
Junior
And1: 11

Post#27 » by MasterChef » Tue Jan 8, 2013 9:52 pm

Sanders rules. I see him and Henson becoming the face of this franchise for a few years if they can play at the top of their game. He just needs to obtain more offensive skills and learn to take care of his **** dogs :-?
midranger
RealGM
And1: 9,939

Post#28 » by midranger » Tue Jan 8, 2013 9:52 pm

Did someone honestly just blame Bogut's inability to shoot a basketball on Scott Skiles?
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
midranger
RealGM
And1: 9,939

Post#29 » by midranger » Tue Jan 8, 2013 9:54 pm

He was the one guy I was excited for this year. I think he's pretty darned good, despite the inconsistencies.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
Nebula1
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#30 » by Nebula1 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 10:07 pm

midranger wrote:Did someone honestly just blame Bogut's inability to shoot a basketball on Scott Skiles?

Not blaming anybody, just saying that similar to Bogut, Sanders looked for his offense and then stopped doing so. Obviously Skiles wasn't there at the beginning for Bogut.
tski1972
Head Coach
And1: 3,588

Post#31 » by tski1972 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 10:13 pm

from what I understand, his dogs don't like him.
http://twitter.com/MarkIsOld

"Because of Giannis, the once lousy Bucks are back in the NBA conversation." - 60 Minutes
Ayt
RealGM
And1: 13,718

Post#32 » by Ayt » Tue Jan 8, 2013 10:20 pm

A serious DPOY level defender who needs to get his fouls in order to the point that he can play 32-35 MPG.

If he didn't improve at all offensively for the rest of his career I wouldn't care as long as he cut his foul rate by another 15-20%. The guy is a **** force defensively and he's somehow developed pretty good hands on the offensive end.

When Larry is on the court we have a top 3 defense.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#33 » by El Duderino » Tue Jan 8, 2013 10:34 pm

Baddy Chuck wrote:I like Sanders, but I don't think he has much offensive potential. He's much more DeAndre Jordan on offense then Ibaka.

Obviously Sanders will never be an offensive threat in the post and his jumper needs a lot of practice, but i do think he's done a much better job this year finishing in the paint off dishes from the guards and i'm not talking about dunks.

No question his somehow turning his claws into actual hands has been a big factor since he now can catch passes thrown to him, but he has put numerous shots in the basket this year that last year i think he would have missed.
Run-MKE 311
Senior
And1: 9

Post#34 » by Run-MKE 311 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 10:36 pm

He is a solid young player, still very raw on many levels, but I like the passion that he shows.
Ball so hard.
mlloyd10
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#35 » by mlloyd10 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 10:41 pm

More energetic Ervin Johnson

Return to Milwaukee Bucks