ImageImage

PG: Boylan first Bucks coach to win debut since 2007

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Treebeard
Head Coach
And1: 1,746

Re: PG: Boylan first Bucks coach to win debut since 2007 

Post#81 » by Treebeard » Wed Jan 9, 2013 7:07 pm

Boylan worked for Skiles in Chicago and here for several years. You would have to believe their philosophies are at least somewhat similar. Probably not a lot of change.
JimmyTheKid
General Manager
And1: 5,112

Post#82 » by JimmyTheKid » Wed Jan 9, 2013 7:28 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
europa wrote:I wasn't expecting massive changes but I didn't see all that much different in Game 1 with Boylan than we saw with Skiles. Hopefully that doesn't remain the case going forward.

I saw something different. I saw those guys miss a bunch of rotations, hence the Suns executing well at times offensively. But the guys missing assignments at times didn't get the hook like they usually did under Skiles.

The big beneficiary of this is Henson. He's awful at times on rotations. But I think Boylan will let him play through this because he wants to interior offense and the rebounding.

Thats all you can ask for of a head coach.

1) Play your best players the most minutes.
2) Take the bad with the good and don't go yanking guys to prove some macho point.
3) Be consistent.
4) If you're going to talk the talk, you better walk the walk.
5) Figure out a rotation and stick with it.

One other minor thing I liked last night was Boylan's use of timeouts. It always seemed like Skiles would wait a few possessions too many before calling one.

Again, I know, its Phoenix. And nobody is saying the Bucks are now championship contenders. But I liked the way Boylan carried himself, managed his team, and managed the game.
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Post#83 » by EastSideBucksFan » Wed Jan 9, 2013 7:30 pm

europa wrote:I wasn't expecting massive changes but I didn't see all that much different in Game 1 with Boylan than we saw with Skiles. Hopefully that doesn't remain the case going forward.

Nice win over a truly awful team. Henson continues to impress. Larry has quickly become one of the most enjoyable defensive players in the league to watch. He brings serious attitude to the court and as long as he doesn't allow it to get the better of him I say keep bringing it.

I'd still be looking to aggressively trade Ilyasova. Henson should be groomed to see if he can handle the starting role and Moute is obviously more than capable of starting should Henson falter.

What were you expecting from Boylan that you didn't see?

The roster is the same. He took Daniels out of the rotation. Put Ersan back in the starting lineup.

Gave Henson more playing time as well.

Besides Tobias not seeing a minute, I'm not sure what there is to complain about his first game.
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#84 » by europa » Wed Jan 9, 2013 7:35 pm

EastSideBucksFan wrote:

Nice win over a truly awful team. Henson continues to impress. Larry has quickly become one of the most enjoyable defensive players in the league to watch. He brings serious attitude to the court and as long as he doesn't allow it to get the better of him I say keep bringing it.

I'd still be looking to aggressively trade Ilyasova. Henson should be groomed to see if he can handle the starting role and Moute is obviously more than capable of starting should Henson falter.

What were you expecting from Boylan that you didn't see?

I want to see Harris play consistent minutes. I realize that isn't likely to happen at this point but when guys ahead of him on the depth chart stink (and last night Dunleavy was terrible for most of the game) it frustrates me that he remains buried on the end of the bench. And it's not just me being a Tobes FanBoy either. I think he can legitimately help this team with his ability to score in the paint. I think that skill would be a huge addition to an offense far too dependent upon perimeter shooting and inefficient perimeter shooters. But like I said, it doesn't appear Boylan is going to move away from Skiles' thought process as it pertains to Harris. Oh well.
Nothing will not break me.
ampd
RealGM
And1: 4,883

Post#85 » by ampd » Wed Jan 9, 2013 7:45 pm

The three things I think a reasonable person could expect to change under Boylan are in no particular order, positivity / attitidude, steady and balanced rotations (offensively and defensively) including Henson and Tobes if they can contribute, and a bit more structure / accountability to the offense.
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM

Post#86 » by EastSideBucksFan » Wed Jan 9, 2013 8:05 pm

It's a valid point to want Harris' skills on the court, but to villify Boylan for not pulling Dunleavy quicker I don't think you can do that. I watched the whole game. While a few of his shots didn't drop, shooting 4-9 isn't a horrible game. He had a few rebounds, a couple assists, a block, a nice three point play. Dunleavy doesn't often hurt you on the floor. Tobias needs to learn how to play defense much, much better.

I'd rather see Ellis get some minutes squeezed from him and have Dunleavy at SG to get some minutes for Tobias at SF.
europa
RealGM

Post#87 » by europa » Wed Jan 9, 2013 8:07 pm

I'm not vilifying Boylan. I was just disappointed that Harris didn't get any playing time - especially considering how bad Dunleavy was for most of the game. I understand why Dunleavy plays and I'm generally in favor of it. I like him. I also know it's tough to find minutes at SF with Moute back there. But I'd like to see Harris get a shot. I think he deserves one. Hopefully Boylan gives him a chance at some point.
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM

Post#88 » by EastSideBucksFan » Wed Jan 9, 2013 8:23 pm

How can you say "Especially how bad Dunleavy was"?

How was Dunleavy bad?

I don't get it.
europa
RealGM

Post#89 » by europa » Wed Jan 9, 2013 8:31 pm

EastSideBucksFan wrote:How can you say "Especially how bad Dunleavy was"?

How was Dunleavy bad?

He shot 1-for-6 in the first half. I don't consider that very good shooting.
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM

Post#90 » by EastSideBucksFan » Wed Jan 9, 2013 8:37 pm

So if Boylan sat him then he wouldn't have shot 3-3 in the second half and we might have lost the game.

:D
europa
RealGM

Post#91 » by europa » Wed Jan 9, 2013 8:39 pm

EastSideBucksFan wrote:So if Boylan sat him then he wouldn't have shot 3-3 in the second half and we might have lost the game.

:D

I said Dunleavy played better late. All I said was Dunleavy was bad up until then (which is accurate) and I would've liked to see Harris get some playing time. Did it all work out in the end for the Bucks? Sure, but given Boylan's pregame comment about wanting to develop the young players more it would've been nice to see him back that statement up with something more than lip service as it pertained to Harris. Again, I'm not ripping on Boylan here. I'm just saying I'd like to see Harris play and I think you can make a case that when the other SFs aren't playing well he deserves a chance.
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM

Post#92 » by EastSideBucksFan » Wed Jan 9, 2013 8:43 pm

That's fine. I just honestly have a long leash with Dunleavy and he's not a guy you pull because he missed a couple shots. I realize 1-6 is more than a couple, but when he's going the Bucks usually win. So we've got to get him going.

Like I said, I really would rather see Ellis' minutes squeezed a bit and have Dunleavy play some back up SG so that would open up minutes for Harris.
europa
RealGM

Post#93 » by europa » Wed Jan 9, 2013 8:45 pm

EastSideBucksFan wrote:That's fine. I just honestly have a long leash with Dunleavy and he's not a guy you pull because he missed a couple shots. I realize 1-6 is more than a couple, but when he's going the Bucks usually win. So we've got to get him going.

Like I said, I really would rather see Ellis' minutes squeezed a bit and have Dunleavy play some back up SG so that would open up minutes for Harris.

That's what I'd do too and again I like Dunleavy and I agree he's usually a good guy to have on the court. But he's had some rough moments lately and Harris remains glued to the end of the bench. I was hoping things might (emphasis on "might") change with Boylan now in charge but it appears nothing will based on last night's game. Just one game and I'm hoping things change because, again, I think Harris can help this team if he's given a real opportunity to contribute.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,000

Post#94 » by paulpressey25 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 9:17 pm

Dunleavy is the most reliable perimeter shooter on the team. And he usually doesn't have a problem working to get open to get a shot off. I think he's more valuable than a lot of our other players and our record last year and this year is much worse if we didn't have him. Tobias isn't anywhere in Duns league in being able to create and make shots in the flow of the game at this point.

Now separate that concept from the fact Duns will be a FA and is 32 years old. And should this franchise rely on him to win games or to be around next season? And does Dunleavy have great trade value we should take advantage of? Those are different questions.

But if we want to win now, I think you ride Dunleavy even on nights he's cold.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
europa
RealGM

Post#95 » by europa » Wed Jan 9, 2013 9:19 pm

I agree about the value Dunleavy brings. But if he's not making shots he's boarderline useless since he's a terrible defender. Last night, he was boarderline useless until the fourth quarter (when as I've said he was very good). Again, I like the guy and I understand the value he brings but let's not make him out to be a star or an irreplaceable part of any team, including the Bucks. He's good but he isn't that good.
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM

Post#96 » by EastSideBucksFan » Wed Jan 9, 2013 9:23 pm

There's no way you can tell me this guy isn't a star!

:lol:

paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,000

Post#97 » by paulpressey25 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 9:33 pm

europa wrote: He's good but he isn't that good.

No, he's that good for this team.

His TS the prior two years were 59. 3 and 59.7%. Those are Ray Allen numbers. Even this year his TS is 57.6%.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
europa
RealGM

Post#98 » by europa » Wed Jan 9, 2013 9:35 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
europa wrote: He's good but he isn't that good.

No, he's that good for this team.

His TS the prior two years were 59. 3 and 59.7%. Those are Ray Allen numbers. Even this year his TS is 57.6%.

As I said, I like him and agree about his value. But if he's not making shots he becomes another perimeter-oriented guy who can't shoot well. I'd prefer to give someone else an opportunity then, especially one who brings something no one else on the roster possesses.

But I'm all for putting Dunleavy at SG and sitting Ellis' sorry ass down if there's an insistence that Dunleavy must play even on nights when he isn't playing well. That's more than fine by me.
Run-MKE 311
Senior
And1: 9

Post#99 » by Run-MKE 311 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 9:44 pm

Earthshattering stat, good to see a win last night.

Curious to see what the rest of the season has in store.
Ball so hard.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks