ImageImage

PG: Boylan first Bucks coach to win debut since 2007

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,441

Re: PG: Boylan first Bucks coach to win debut since 2007 

Post#61 » by blazza18 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 7:59 am

I actually didn't even notice Ellis for some reason today. Kinda glad I didn't either.

I'm amazed that Hammond and the rest of his phony's can keep a straight face when the swag twins are mentioned.

As someone mentioned in the game thread. At least when Brandon plays well he gets the whole team involved. When Monta has things going everyone just stands and watched him shoot long twosssss or 180 layups.
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
Bad Midget
Junior
And1: 12

Post#62 » by Bad Midget » Wed Jan 9, 2013 8:24 am

AussieBuck wrote:Ellis and Jennings were so vomit inducingly awful in the first 5 minutes I wouldn't have faulted the rest of the guys from walking off. No D, no passing unless it was absolutely the only option, running the clock down etc. Jennings came back on and played excellent, Ellis continued being the dumbest player ever for 40 minutes. Surely we can give his minutes to beno, Dun, Tobes whoever. Ersan was awesome running all over the court, Udoh was rocking his usual boring awesomeness. Larry struggled with our crap guard D then came on late when they deployed the Telfair/Brown anchor. That's just plain brazen tanking. We need to recruit both those guys. Everyone looked a lot happier today other than the crap vets who are still stuck on the bench.

Yep. Jennings/Ellis weren't doing Sanders any favors.
JimmyTheKid
General Manager
And1: 5,099

Post#63 » by JimmyTheKid » Wed Jan 9, 2013 12:27 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:Still good win. Tight rotations. Young guys responded. tomorrow is the big test.

Not only tight rotations, but the right players. 9 man rotation. Perfect. No Gooden, Daniels, Pryz, Lamb. Perfect. And Boylan actually spoke to his players during the course of the game (instead of only speaking to the other coaches). Its one game. And it was against a bad Suns team. Still, if last night was any indication, I can be entertained watching this group going forward.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,213

Post#64 » by LUKE23 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 1:27 pm

Through 33 (17-16):

O: 27th (102.2)
D: 8th (103.3)
Pace: 7th (93.6)
Expected W-L: 17th (.457, 37 wins over full season)
Actual W-L: 16th (.515, 42 wins over full season)
RPI: 18th (.503)
SOS: 13th (.499)
SRS: 18th (-1.26)
PPG Differential: 17th (-1.00)
Hollinger Power Rank: 19th (98.702)
Hollinger Playoff Odds: 8th seed in East, 41-41

Henson: 12.9 boards per 36
Sanders: 12.2 boards per 36, 4.6 blocks per 36

Rebound rates in NBA, players that have played at least 250 minutes this season:

Henson: #8
Sanders: #13
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,051

Post#65 » by Thunder Muscle » Wed Jan 9, 2013 1:31 pm

blazza18 wrote:Yea someone called in before saying play Dalembert because Udoh is useless. If Epke didn't play today we wouldn't of come back. He stopped Gortat dominating the paint. Some people I swear. :nonono:

Not that I have a scouting eye, because I don't, but your general fan is just going to see Udoh look inept offensively and think he is awful. I think Udoh's value doesn't show up on the stat sheet nor the eyeball test unless you are specifically watching him. I don't think Udoh is ever going to be a "star" in this league but I do see him as a valuable player off the bench for the next half decade or so. I think he's a good back-up to Sanders. I like the Ersan/Sanders/Udoh/Henson PF/C combination.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#66 » by LUKE23 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 1:37 pm

I don't think we need any changes in the frontcourt. For the future, I see Harris backed by Moute, Henson backed by Ilyasova, and Sanders backed by Udoh. That's really damn solid. We're an efficient halfcourt scorer away from being pretty good, and it will remain that way until a change is made. I'm damn excited about the frontcourt though. Henson/Sanders has the potential be absolutely dynamite.
A Diddy2231
Analyst
And1: 106

Post#67 » by A Diddy2231 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 1:38 pm

Udoh is undervalued by the casual fans..who also overrate guys like Gooden and Dalembert.
Johnny wrote:You betrayed me! You're not good. You, you're just a chicken. Chip-chip-chip-chip-cheep-cheep.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,051

Post#68 » by Thunder Muscle » Wed Jan 9, 2013 1:56 pm

A Diddy2231 wrote:Udoh is undervalued by the casual fans..who also overrate guys like Gooden and Dalembert.

Exactly.

LUKE23 wrote:We're an efficient halfcourt scorer away from being pretty good, and it will remain that way until a change is made. I'm damn excited about the frontcourt though. Henson/Sanders has the potential be absolutely dynamite.

I also agree with this.
Lippo
Lead Assistant
And1: 943

Post#69 » by Lippo » Wed Jan 9, 2013 2:15 pm

Best move to get rid of Ellis.

# way trade w/ Memphis and Toronto

Buck Out: Ellis, 2nd
Bucks IN: Derozan, Davis, Wroten

Grizzlies In: Calderone, Ellis
Grizzlies Out: Gay, Wroten

Raptors In: Gay, 2nd
Raptors Out: Calderone, Derozan, Davis
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#70 » by LUKE23 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 2:27 pm

No to DeRozan on his contract, for the last time.
tski1972
Head Coach
And1: 3,589

Post#71 » by tski1972 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 3:07 pm

can't wait until Jennings goes 6-19 against the Bulls tonight.
http://twitter.com/MarkIsOld

"Because of Giannis, the once lousy Bucks are back in the NBA conversation." - 60 Minutes
Steve210
Pro Prospect
And1: 79

Post#72 » by Steve210 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 3:08 pm

JimmyTheKid wrote:
paulpressey25 wrote:Still good win. Tight rotations. Young guys responded. tomorrow is the big test.

Not only tight rotations, but the right players. 9 man rotation. Perfect. No Gooden, Daniels, Pryz, Lamb. Perfect. And Boylan actually spoke to his players during the course of the game (instead of only speaking to the other coaches). Its one game. And it was against a bad Suns team. Still, if last night was any indication, I can be entertained watching this group going forward.

That's something I noticed also last night, during most of Skiles time outs, he would huddle up with his assistant coaches, and talk, and barely spent any time talking to the team. When Boylan took a time out, every single player on the team huddled around, including the inactives to see what was going on. I also liked after the game, Boylan complimented his players instead of the typical Skiles criticisms of what they need to do better.

It's only one game like many have said, the real test is tonight, we know this team has been horrible on back to backs, let's see how they respond?

One other thought, I do like the tight rotation however I'd still like to see Tobias get thrown into the mix. Dunleavy cetainly isn't a lock down defender but he's still going to get his minutes, and on nights where Dunleavy struggles, I hope Tobias gets an opportunity to show what he can do.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 25,845

Post#73 » by paulpressey25 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 3:21 pm

Steve210 wrote:It's only one game like many have said, the real test is tonight, we know this team has been horrible on back to backs, let's see how they respond?

We've played a number of games like last night earlier in the year. Games where everyone looks good, Jennings is raining three's and dishing, our bigs are dunking.

It all comes back to the defenses we face. Teams with good perimeter defenses tend to frustrate the crap out of Jennings, Monta and Dunleavy. And then those guys can't hit nor can they get the ball to our bigs.

You can see what type of game it is going to be in the first five minutes. If Jennings is allowed to be comfortable, and the other team's interior defense isn't super physical, it will be a good offensive night.

Until we figure out how to get a player who can handle tough defenses and respond in kind with ball handling and scoring, we will ride the treadmill of up and down offensive performances.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
jr lucosa
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,151

Post#74 » by jr lucosa » Wed Jan 9, 2013 3:38 pm

N8Frog wrote: I like the Ersan/Sanders/Udoh/Henson PF/C combination.

Yeah I've got no problem with that being our front court rotation going forward. So much talent, youth, length, defense, good mix of guys who can get buckets different ways. I like it. The question will eventually become can we afford both Sanders and Udoh off their rookie deals.
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#75 » by Badgerlander » Wed Jan 9, 2013 3:53 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:It all comes back to the defenses we face. Teams with good perimeter defenses tend to frustrate the crap out of Jennings, Monta and Dunleavy. And then those guys can't hit nor can they get the ball to our bigs.

You can see what type of game it is going to be in the first five minutes. If Jennings is allowed to be comfortable, and the other team's interior defense isn't super physical, it will be a good offensive night.

Until we figure out how to get a player who can handle tough defenses and respond in kind with ball handling and scoring, we will ride the treadmill of up and down offensive performances.

I think this is where we'll need the Harris-Henson combo to step up, but you are right those types of defenses like the Rockets in the second half forced turnovers on every entry pass to the paint and ran out long rebounds off our bad shot selection by the swag twins. We can't play half court offense.
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
Treebeard
Head Coach
And1: 1,740

Post#76 » by Treebeard » Wed Jan 9, 2013 3:54 pm

The general defense in the first half was pretty sloppy.

In spite of his spectacular blocking ability, Larry is very much a work in progress as a defender. Some poseessions, he's solid; the next possession, he slides out of place, or doesn't box out. on the plus side, I think he's improved alot over this season. While Udoh is seldom quite so showy, to me he looks like he stays home more often and does a better job of boxing out. If Henson can add strength, without impacting his athletic ability, he's going to be really good (and I wasn't a fan of the pick)

Last night, Scola and Gortat - both active beefy guys moved Larry, Udoh, and Ilyasoa out of place almost at will early on. It didn't help that the perimeter was really leaky too. Later in the game, the Bucks seem to adapt.
jr lucosa
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,151

Post#77 » by jr lucosa » Wed Jan 9, 2013 4:07 pm

Treebeard wrote:The general defense in the first half was pretty sloppy.

In spite of his spectacular blocking ability, Larry is very much a work in progress as a defender. Some poseessions, he's solid; the next possession, he slides out of place, or doesn't box out. on the plus side, I think he's improved alot over this season. While Udoh is seldom quite so showy, to me he looks like he stays home more often and does a better job of boxing out.

Yeah Larry is more of a home run hitter, sometimes he gets excited/distracted and finds himself out of place. Udoh can't get to all the balls Larry can but his feet are almost always in the right place, always making the smart play instead of gambling.
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#78 » by europa » Wed Jan 9, 2013 5:43 pm

I wasn't expecting massive changes but I didn't see all that much different in Game 1 with Boylan than we saw with Skiles. Hopefully that doesn't remain the case going forward.

Nice win over a truly awful team. Henson continues to impress. Larry has quickly become one of the most enjoyable defensive players in the league to watch. He brings serious attitude to the court and as long as he doesn't allow it to get the better of him I say keep bringing it.

I'd still be looking to aggressively trade Ilyasova. Henson should be groomed to see if he can handle the starting role and Moute is obviously more than capable of starting should Henson falter.
Nothing will not break me.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 25,845

Post#79 » by paulpressey25 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 6:00 pm

europa wrote:I wasn't expecting massive changes but I didn't see all that much different in Game 1 with Boylan than we saw with Skiles. Hopefully that doesn't remain the case going forward.

I saw something different. I saw those guys miss a bunch of rotations, hence the Suns executing well at times offensively. But the guys missing assignments at times didn't get the hook like they usually did under Skiles.

The big beneficiary of this is Henson. He's awful at times on rotations. But I think Boylan will let him play through this because he wants to interior offense and the rebounding.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#80 » by europa » Wed Jan 9, 2013 6:03 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
europa wrote:I wasn't expecting massive changes but I didn't see all that much different in Game 1 with Boylan than we saw with Skiles. Hopefully that doesn't remain the case going forward.

I saw something different. I saw those guys miss a bunch of rotations, hence the Suns executing well at times offensively. But the guys missing assignments at times didn't get the hook like they usually did under Skiles.

The big beneficiary of this is Henson. He's awful at times on rotations. But I think Boylan will let him play through this because he wants to interior offense and the rebounding.

On the flip side he kept Dunleavy on the court despite the fact he was horrendous for most of the game (played well late) and never gave Harris any run. I acknowledge my Tobes bias but that's who I really want to see get a chance to play now. Ellis playing 40 minutes despite looking terrible also was disappointing.

Again, I'd be surprised if we saw massive changes but there are some things I'd like to see going forward. At this point I'm wondering if Harris will remain banished to the bench no matter how poorly the guys ahead of him play.
Nothing will not break me.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks