ImageImage

Potential Jennings trade thread (POLL ADDED)

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Would you trade Jennings before the deadline

Yes (if yes, let us know what it would take)
46%
No (what would you sign him to, long term)
54%

Total votes: 67

emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,634

Re: Ford: Jennings #7 on players most likely to be traded 

Post#101 » by emunney » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:44 am

I'm not going to set myself on fire if we keep Jennings or anything. But I don't think he's improved from last season on the two glaring things he should have improved on: his right hand and the consistency of his approach in the half court.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 22,685

Post#102 » by Baddy Chuck » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:46 am

paulpressey25 wrote:
Baddy Chuck wrote:
Pretty evident he's not in the top half of players there either.

Can you do these same stats for Lowry the past four years?

He only became a starter (over 25 minutes a game) in 2010-11

TS% of players over 13 (not 15 because Lowry hasn't) points (best to worst)
2010-11 Lowry #38 (90 possible, Jennings #88)
2011-12 Lowry #25 (79 possible, Jennings #64)
2012-13 Lowry #10 (85 possible, Jennings #69)
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
GHOSTofSIKMA
RealGM
And1: 7,962

Post#103 » by GHOSTofSIKMA » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:46 am

4xBuck wrote:
GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:jennings for lowry?

better defense
better passing
more strength
elite efficiency(currently at a career high ts of 58%)
on a great contract

VS

more upside
better swagger

tough decision :roll:

the idea that the proposed deal includes gooden and amir switching sides and people are still balking is nuts. the ultimate jennings fanboyz club is alive and well on realgm tonight.

More strength- huh?

Better passing- huh?... Ya, those 4.9 assists per game will be nice.

Better deference- huh”… Less steals & a DRtg of 108.

Ah, never mind… Get yer hate on, bro… :noway:

minute for minute on a basketball court lowry utterly destroys jennings in virtually every offensive statistical measure you could bring up.

defensively they perhaps are closer.

hate has nothing to do with it.... reading does. compare their per36s and advanced stats this season. its a non discussion. lowry is exactly the type of pg this team needs right now.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... nute::none
Baddy Chuck
RealGM

Post#104 » by Baddy Chuck » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:47 am

Max Green wrote:Also note the fact that Lowry lost his starting job the last 2 seasons to "inferior" players.

Note that this was also only due to injury in both cases.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
Baddy Chuck
RealGM

Post#105 » by Baddy Chuck » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:57 am

Assists per game (ranked best to worst) of guards with over 25 minutes a game

2010-11 Lowry #14 (Jennings #31)
2011-12 Lowry #12 (Jennings #21)
2012-13 Lowry #20 (Jennings #22)

Note: I just also want to add, I do not believe we are a much better (or worse) team with either of the two point guard even despite the obvious stat differential. I do believe trading Jennings before he is going to be paid what he will this offseason is what we should be doing. Kohl and co. won't give up playoffs this season and Lowry is a good player and a very good asset on his current contract. That is why I would do the swap. If you gave me each player on the same deal, I would choose Jennings and hope he improved. I do not want to bet $40 million + on that improvement.
Max Green
RealGM
And1: 4,668

Post#106 » by Max Green » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:58 am

Baddy Chuck wrote:
Max Green wrote:Also note the fact that Lowry lost his starting job the last 2 seasons to "inferior" players.

This ain't the NFL, guys don't usually lose their starting job to injury unless the team plays better without him. I find it concerning that his last 2 teams either played much better without him that they didn't want him starting, or didn't want him starting anymore once he returned no matter how the team played.
Vice President of Parker-Nation.
#Jabariunleashed
#OwnTheFuture
:wizard: Maxtradamus
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,976

Post#107 » by Badgerlander » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:01 am

Jennings vs Lowry huh, yay, life as a Bucks fan.

I thought the side article was interesting, curious to see what Houston can do if they manage to land JSmoove.
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
bigkurty
General Manager
And1: 1,511

Post#108 » by bigkurty » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:07 am

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
4xBuck wrote:
GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:jennings for lowry?

better defense
better passing
more strength
elite efficiency(currently at a career high ts of 58%)
on a great contract

VS

more upside
better swagger

tough decision :roll:

the idea that the proposed deal includes gooden and amir switching sides and people are still balking is nuts. the ultimate jennings fanboyz club is alive and well on realgm tonight.

More strength- huh?

Better passing- huh?... Ya, those 4.9 assists per game will be nice.

Better deference- huh”… Less steals & a DRtg of 108.

Ah, never mind… Get yer hate on, bro… :noway:

minute for minute on a basketball court lowry utterly destroys jennings in virtually every offensive statistical measure you could bring up.

defensively they perhaps are closer.

hate has nothing to do with it.... reading does. compare their per36s and advanced stats this season. its a non discussion. lowry is exactly the type of pg this team needs right now.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... nute::none

Looks good to me. I wish we could see a sample size of Brandon right now with a realsg next to him rather than Monta but as of right now I would be fine with a Lowry Jennings deal if we cleared gooden for an at least serviceable piece like Amir. How does Jennings still not have a right hand, a serviceable mid range jumper, or the ability to create for bigs down low much less any knowledge on how to run a pick and roll. It's amazing. Someone needs to check him in and get it into his thick skull what he needs to do to really improve and we obviously don't have the people who can get that across to him. Our only hope is Sampson or Cassell if we keep him. Honestly Cassell could teach BJ a lot IMO.
Baddy Chuck
RealGM

Post#109 » by Baddy Chuck » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:08 am

Max Green wrote:
Baddy Chuck wrote:

This ain't the NFL, guys don't usually lose their starting job to injury unless the team plays better without him. I find it concerning that his last 2 teams either played much better without him that they didn't want him starting, or didn't want him starting anymore once he returned no matter how the team played.

In Houston last season he missed a month and was playing his way back well Dragic was playing out of his mind (pretty evidently for his current contract). He started 38 of his 47 games last season and Houston was much better with him. 21 out of his 38 starts they won compared to 13 of 28 with Dragic. He was much better then Dragic. He was averaging 16, 7 and 5 on 56% TS before the injury.

Toronto has played better since he lost the starting job I agree, I think a lot of that could be attributed to Bargnani being out the whole time since Lowry was initially injured though.
ampd
RealGM
And1: 4,883

Post#110 » by ampd » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:21 am

Kyle Lowry is not better than Jennings. That trade would be horrendous.

Perfect example of just looking at box scores and a couple random advanced stats on basketball reference not telling the whole story. The only thing Lowry does better than Jennings is have a higher career TS%.
Max Green
RealGM
And1: 4,668

Post#111 » by Max Green » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:23 am

Baddy Chuck wrote:

In Houston last season he missed a month and was playing his way back well Dragic was playing out of his mind (pretty evidently for his current contract). He started 38 of his 47 games last season and Houston was much better with him. 21 out of his 38 starts they won compared to 13 of 28 with Dragic. He was much better then Dragic. He was averaging 16, 7 and 5 on 56% TS before the injury.[/quote]

That is what is concerning to me, the fact that he was a much better player then Dragic, and the team was much better and winning with him starting, yet when he comes back and doesn't get his starting job back and is eventually traded.... I'm willing to chalk that up to being an anomaly but the fact that it's happening again on a new team is what concerns me. He puts up nice stats but their might be something else going on with him....
Vice President of Parker-Nation.
#Jabariunleashed
#OwnTheFuture
:wizard: Maxtradamus
Baddy Chuck
RealGM

Post#112 » by Baddy Chuck » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:23 am

ampd wrote:Kyle Lowry is not better than Jennings. That trade would be horrendous.

As would signing Jennings to a big deal this offseason.
ampd
RealGM
And1: 4,883

Post#113 » by ampd » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:25 am

Baddy Chuck wrote:
ampd wrote:Kyle Lowry is not better than Jennings. That trade would be horrendous.

Depends on what the deal is. I'd rather find out or even try to work a sign and trade if that is still possible than pick up 2 more who cares roleplayers
Baddy Chuck
RealGM

Post#114 » by Baddy Chuck » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:29 am

ampd wrote:
Baddy Chuck wrote:

Depends on what the deal is. I'd rather find out or even try to work a sign and trade if that is still possible than pick up 2 more who cares roleplayers

Serious question, how many trades have there been where a restricted free agent was traded for anything worthwhile? The only two in recent years I can think of are Ryan Anderson and David Lee and their respective teams got basically nothing for the guys. A team willing to offer the guy a contract outright is going to give up much when a team clearly would rather trade him. I'd be willing to bet Lowry is 100x the return then anything we could get let alone a Gooden/Johnson swap.
giraldo5
Sixth Man
And1: 109

Post#115 » by giraldo5 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:30 am

Perfect example of just looking at box scores and a couple random advanced stats on basketball reference not telling the whole story. The only thing Lowry does better than Jennings is have a higher career TS%.

He can dribble with both hands too.
Baddy Chuck
RealGM

Post#116 » by Baddy Chuck » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:31 am

giraldo5 wrote:

He can dribble with both hands too.

He averages more assists with a lower usage rate as well.
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,976

Post#117 » by Badgerlander » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:31 am

Trade Jennings for Burks + Jeremy Evans
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
giraldo5
Sixth Man
And1: 109

Post#118 » by giraldo5 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:32 am

The only good sign and trade that I can think of is the Pistons dealing Grant Hill for Ben Wallace.
Baddy Chuck
RealGM

Post#119 » by Baddy Chuck » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:41 am

My view is you have three options.

You resign Jennings - Not a fan of this option. I don't have any reason to believe it would be less then 10 million a year and Jennings has not proved to be worth that and there isn't any real evidence of his game progressing. I understand if you believe he'd improve quite a bit, but unless he does he is not worth the money.

You let Jennings walk - If he's kept past the deadline I think the odds of this happening are slim to none.

Trade Jennings in a win now/keep the wheels spinning move - I don't think we'd be better or worse with Lowry, as everyone has said he's just another bandaid move. With that said, Kohl isn't trading for a rebuilding package so if you don't want to overpay for Jennings, this is the only option (not this trade, just the scenario). This in my opinion is the best asset maximization move. You don't have another overpaid player on "potential" and you have a solid player on a good contract that other teams would covet. If you pay Jennings and he doesn't improve quite a bit I'm not sure he has value on his new deal.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,954

Post#120 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:46 am

DocHoliday wrote:Trade Jennings for Burks + Jeremy Evans

In a **** heartbeat.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks