ImageImage

Potential Jennings trade thread (POLL ADDED)

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

Would you trade Jennings before the deadline

Yes (if yes, let us know what it would take)
46%
No (what would you sign him to, long term)
54%

Total votes: 67

ampd
RealGM
And1: 4,883

Re: Ford: Jennings #7 on players most likely to be traded 

Post#141 » by ampd » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:08 am

I don't think its a mental thing like it is with Monta where he will just never figure it out because he doesn't want to and prefers to just skate by on natural ability. The things most holding Jennings back are things that are very likely to improve over time, in his jumper, floater, and finishing which are at least partly about technique that can be taught, learned, and improved upon with work, which he is willing to do. To me that makes it at least fairly likely that he will have at least a mini break out at some point.

If I had to put a number on it, I'd say something like 50/50. I'll take that shot given our situation.
linguini8
Junior
And1: 47

Post#142 » by linguini8 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:15 am

Bobicous wrote:One big factor I think most of you are missing is Jennings is a name beyond just the NBA. He is that rare player that has fans outside the NBA and brings a focus to the Bucks that no other player they have or have talked about getting have. Just look at his commercials, or how his name was in the news all the time during the lockout from playing. That brings fans, sells jerseys, its a big part of the money part of the game.

The funny thing is people want to say nothing has improved with Jennings but the ignore improvement, just like about a month ago every is saying "he can't throw the lob" and yeat I see several high lights from almost every game of him lobbing to Sanders or Henson. The fact is the kid is a gym rat, he is willing to put the time in, does anyone really think he won't work on his offhand after getting it pointed out? Seems to like the Bucks and the city and at some level that has to matter. Not sure why people are going crazy about 4/10 for Jennings when we are paying close to that on scrubs like Ersanity and Gooden? At some point a small market team needs to take a risk and I can see alot of people I would be way more willing to move than Jennings.

You don't think after 3 seasons in the NBA, with a 5+ man coaching staff, watching film every week, that he hasn't had his flaws pointed out to him? We hear it every season. "Brandon Jennings has been really putting in the work this summer. He's been the first one in and last one out of the Cousins Center... blah blah blah." No we still have not seen any significant improvments. I don't think anyone would be going crazy if we were talking about signing Jennings to Ersan money. It's the extra 8-10mil that has people uninterested.
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 22,605

Post#143 » by Baddy Chuck » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:21 am

ampd wrote:I don't think its a mental thing like it is with Monta where he will just never figure it out because he doesn't want to and prefers to just skate by on natural ability. The things most holding Jennings back are things that are very likely to improve over time, in his jumper, floater, and finishing which are at least partly about technique that can be taught, learned, and improved upon with work, which he is willing to do. To me that makes it at least fairly likely that he will have at least a mini break out at some point.

If I had to put a number on it, I'd say something like 50/50. I'll take that shot given our situation.

But what is him getting it together? If he's just a Mo Williams type guy I don't see how that's worth $10 million. And he would have to take a pretty big step to even be Mo Williams.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,457

Post#144 » by JayMKE » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:08 am

Baddy Chuck wrote:
ampd wrote:I don't think its a mental thing like it is with Monta where he will just never figure it out because he doesn't want to and prefers to just skate by on natural ability. The things most holding Jennings back are things that are very likely to improve over time, in his jumper, floater, and finishing which are at least partly about technique that can be taught, learned, and improved upon with work, which he is willing to do. To me that makes it at least fairly likely that he will have at least a mini break out at some point.

But what is him getting it together? If he's just a Mo Williams type guy I don't see how that's worth $10 million. And he would have to take a pretty big step to even be Mo Williams.

If Moe Williams was 23, he'd be worth $10 mil. That just what the market is now.
FREE GIANNIS
Bfinkish
Sixth Man
And1: 126

Post#145 » by Bfinkish » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:17 am

Bj and gooden for Dragic and gortat

Monta, sammy, tobes and a pick for Eric Gordon (as long as he's healthy)

Dragic/beno/lamb
Gordon/MDJ/lamb
LRMM/ersan
Sanders/Henson
Gortat/grandpa udoh

Whatever... I tried
God is good.
Baddy Chuck
RealGM

Post#146 » by Baddy Chuck » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:21 am

JayMKE wrote:If Moe Williams was 23, he'd be worth $10 mil. That just what the market is now.

But Brandon is a C list version of Mo right now, that's worth 10 million?

Also, I'm not hung up on this age thing. Great, he's 23. He's 4 seasons into the league, that's what I would look at. Especially 4 seasons into the league with as many minutes as Jennings has played. I mean, just because a guy is young doesn't mean he has a whole lot of potential then he's shown. The only player who was really young that I can think of that broke out after 4 years in the league is Jermaine O'Neal.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
Baddy Chuck
RealGM

Post#147 » by Baddy Chuck » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:28 am

Baddy Chuck wrote:Also, I'm not hung up on this age thing. Great, he's 23. He's 4 seasons into the league, that's what I would look at. Especially 4 seasons into the league with as many minutes as Jennings has played. I mean, just because a guy is young doesn't mean he has a whole lot of potential then he's shown. The only player who was really young that I can think of that broke out after 4 years in the league is Jermaine O'Neal.

To just elaborate on this, here is the list (in my opinion) of guys who became more then role players in the league the past 10 years who were drafted as sophomores or younger so they would be somewhere around 24 or younger at the time their 4 years were over.

I'm bolding the ones who really improved after their fourth season.

Tyson Chandler - Took him until his 6th season and being traded to play with Chris Paul.
Jason Richardson
Joe Johnson - His fourth year he showed signs of breaking out and he did in his fifth year. Then when he was traded to Atlanta he took it the next step.
Zach Randolph - Not sure about this one. He was a 20 and 10 guy within the four years but he didn't "click" in the head until about his ninth season. I'd say he shouldn't be bolded.
Gerald Wallace - He was buried on Sacramento's bench until he was drafted by Charlotte in the expansion draft and he hit his stride in his fifth year.
Gilbert Arenas - He was one of the top players in the league his fourth year, but his 5th and 6th years he became pretty much a super star, not sure if he should've been bolded?
Amare Stoudemire
Caron Butler
LeBron James
Carmelo Anthony
Chris Bosh
Mo Williams
Dwight Howard
Luol Deng
Andre Iguodala
Al Jefferson
Josh Smith
Chris Paul
Andrew Bynum - Took him around 7 years to his his true peak.
Monta Ellis
Lamarcus Aldridge
Rudy Gay
Rajon Rondo
Kevin Durant
Mike Conley
Derrick Rose
OJ Mayo - His first two years he was the guy he is right now, then he got benched for a smaller role and came back slightly better, not sure if he should be bolded? I think his numbers will fall back towards year 1+2 norms.
Russell Westbrook
Kevin Love
Brook Lopez
Eric Gordon
Ryan Anderson
Blake Griffin
James Harden
DeMar DeRozan
Jrue Holiday

Two of them were big men drafted right out of high school and one didn't really play at all until nearly his 4th year.

I'd say the list of young guys who took a step in their games after 4 years in the league in pretty small.
JayMKE
RealGM

Post#148 » by JayMKE » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:09 am

And what does Kyle Lowry accomplish?

Are we a contender? Not even close. Are we any better? Barely if at all. Will we be mediocre? Hell yes.

Not interested in taking on 27-28 year old role players at this point. Would rather Jennings just walks.
FREE GIANNIS
Baddy Chuck
RealGM

Post#149 » by Baddy Chuck » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:15 am

JayMKE wrote:And what does Kyle Lowry accomplish?

Are we a contender? Not even close. Are we any better? Barely if at all. Will we be mediocre? Hell yes.

Not interested in taking on 27-28 year old role players at this point. Would rather Jennings just walks.

You'd rather let Jennings walk then get an asset? And a pretty good one at that?
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,372

Post#150 » by blazza18 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:18 am

What is Lowry's contract like ?
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
Baddy Chuck
RealGM

Post#151 » by Baddy Chuck » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:20 am

blazza18 wrote:What is Lowry's contract like ?

5,750,000 this season and a partially guaranteed 6,210,000 next season. He is on a ridiculously good deal that would be easily moveable.
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,372

Post#152 » by blazza18 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:22 am

Well at that price I'm sold. Time to move on. Jennings will want double that.
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
JayMKE
RealGM

Post#153 » by JayMKE » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:26 am

Baddy Chuck wrote:
blazza18 wrote:What is Lowry's contract like ?

5,750,000 this season and a partially guaranteed 6,210,000 next season. He is on a ridiculously good deal that would be easily moveable.

Yes, I'd rather tank and get a nicer pick than 1 year of Kyle Lowry. Trading for a guy you want to trade right away is just dumb as we've all seen with Monta Ellis. If we're desperate to get an "asset" for Jennings then cash out for the best draft pick or prospect you can get. I am in no way interested in perpetuating mediocrity.
FREE GIANNIS
Baddy Chuck
RealGM

Post#154 » by Baddy Chuck » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:30 am

That's the thing though, I would absolutely love to trade Jennings for a rebuilding package but Kohl and co. aren't giving up the playoffs. With Lowry we would still be in the playoff picture and we could then have an asset after the season if they finally give up the 8th seed chase rather then nothing or an overpaid Jennings (who himself would be spinning the wheels on mediocrity more then Lowry).
jr lucosa
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,151

Post#155 » by jr lucosa » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:52 am

I can't see Kohl looking at Kyle Lowry and thinking that's an upgrade from Brandon. Less PPG, similar FG %, similar APG. Isn't a full time starter. Is he even going to glance at anything else?
JayMKE
RealGM

Post#156 » by JayMKE » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:55 am

Baddy Chuck wrote:That's the thing though, I would absolutely love to trade Jennings for a rebuilding package but Kohl and co. aren't giving up the playoffs. With Lowry we would still be in the playoff picture and we could then have an asset after the season if they finally give up the 8th seed chase rather then nothing or an overpaid Jennings (who himself would be spinning the wheels on mediocrity more then Lowry).

And why would they give up on the playoffs next season? The cycle needs to end somewhere. Jennings is a better asset right now due to age and contract. If we trade Jennings, it needs to be for something that helps this team going forward. Either we cash out with Jennings or tank hard next year. The top of next years draft is suppose to be strong or so I hear.
FREE GIANNIS
Baddy Chuck
RealGM

Post#157 » by Baddy Chuck » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:55 am

jr lucosa wrote:I can't see Kohl looking at Kyle Lowry and thinking that's an upgrade from Brandon. Less PPG, similar FG %, similar APG. Is he even going to glance at anything else?

It's not looking at it as an upgrade, it's looking at it as a holdover move to make the playoffs and not have to pay someone 40+ million in the offseason.
jr lucosa
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,151

Post#158 » by jr lucosa » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:58 am

Baddy Chuck wrote:
jr lucosa wrote:I can't see Kohl looking at Kyle Lowry and thinking that's an upgrade from Brandon. Less PPG, similar FG %, similar APG. Is he even going to glance at anything else?

It's not looking at it as an upgrade, it's looking at it as a holdover move to make the playoffs and not have to pay someone 40+ million in the offseason.

What I meant was, Herb Kohl looks at that as a clear downgrade and most likely won't do it with Lowry not locked into anything very long term either.

This would be similar to thinking that he might sign off on Brandon Jennings for Beno Udrih straight up, who put up Lowry like numbers his last year in Sacramento and was on a similar contract. I don't see it as realistic.
Baddy Chuck
RealGM

Post#159 » by Baddy Chuck » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:02 am

JayMKE wrote:And why would they give up on the playoffs next season? The cycle needs to end somewhere. Jennings is a better asset right now due to age and contract. If we trade Jennings, it needs to be for something that helps this team going forward. Either we cash out with Jennings or tank hard next year. The top of next years draft is suppose to be strong or so I hear.

Well for one Monta Ellis would likely be gone next season. It could be the year where Kohl finally stops paying big money to chase the 8th seed. It would be then he decides that he would move Lowry and "tank". They are going one of two ways, for the playoffs or not caring. This season there is no chance we don't go for the playoffs. Absolutely none. If you're fighting for mediocrity, you resign Jennings or keep Lowry and fight for that 8th seed again, if you finally throw in that 8th seed towel you don't resign Jennings or you trade Lowry. Give me the potential scenario where you get something out of it.
paul
RealGM
And1: 1,038

Post#160 » by paul » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:18 am

I'm no Kyle Lowry fan, in fact I don't like him at all, but I can honestly say the thought of watching Jennings chuck away as many games as he wins us while strutting like a peacock for the next 4 years is about as off-putting as anything Bucks related could be.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks