ImageImage

Potential Jennings trade thread (POLL ADDED)

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

Would you trade Jennings before the deadline

Yes (if yes, let us know what it would take)
46%
No (what would you sign him to, long term)
54%

Total votes: 67

xTitan
RealGM
And1: 2,279

Re: Ford: Jennings #7 on players most likely to be traded 

Post#221 » by xTitan » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:11 am

Bucks_Pre wrote:People hate on Jennings for shooting too much, but he has so much pressure on him to score just so we have a chance to win. As a young player with the wrong coach what is he suppose to do. Your only asking him to be inconsistent. He never was told if he its the scorer or the floor general. His mind set is he has to do both, since skiles never establish that role. Seems boylan has him going in the right direction.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Who is the right coach?
CanadaBucks
Assistant Coach
And1: 314

Post#223 » by CanadaBucks » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:33 am

I see thi thing with Jennings being that he can be so good....and yet so bad. The good games make you think...gee if her ever got more consistent he'd be a star...but as a lot have said, don't think he's ever going to be consistent....I'd trade him, just not sure about what kind of deal I'd take...not Lin for sure.
gbmb34
Pro Prospect
And1: 74

Post#224 » by gbmb34 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:17 am

So Jennings has stretches where he looks great and stretches where he doesn't even look like he belongs in the NBA, effectively making him an average player. His shooting comes and goes and so does his defense, but all in all he's middle of the pack.

Sounds like the franchise.
packerbreakdown.wordpress.com
Bucks_MacGyver
Sixth Man
And1: 339

Post#225 » by Bucks_MacGyver » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:49 pm

gbmb34 wrote:So Jennings has stretches where he looks great and stretches where he doesn't even look like he belongs in the NBA, effectively making him an average player. His shooting comes and goes and so does his defense, but all in all he's middle of the pack.

Sounds like the franchise.

When has he looked like he doesn't belong in the NBA...sounds like you were never a fan.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
giraldo5
Sixth Man
And1: 109

Post#227 » by giraldo5 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:58 pm

Some rumor news.

The Nets, Bucks and Nuggets are rumored to have interest in trading for Paul Millsap.
Millsap's expiring contract makes him a particularly alluring trade target, to be sure, but unsourced rumors will be a dime a dozen for the next few weeks. A recent report suggested the Jazz are more inclined to trade Al Jefferson, if anyone, and we're taking it all with appropriate skepticism.
Source: Fox Sports Ohio Jan 20 - 9:55 AM
4xBuck
Sixth Man
And1: 569

Post#228 » by 4xBuck » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:20 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:

That is really an amazing link you did there. I didn't realize the massive gap between the elite PG's and the other guys.

Yeah, that’s a real complete gauge, yeah… How many of those guys are 23 & under & how many have had to play on teams with the same offensive talent as Jennings had around him?

Jennings had 7 or 8 assists last night?!?- should have been more like 12 or 13.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,360

Post#229 » by emunney » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:56 pm

Jennings played great last night and should have had more assists, and I certainly agree that he'd have more assists on a team with more offensive talent. I think how many more is probably oversold. Even 10% more on average over the course of a season is probably stretching it.

If he plays Lillard every night, different story. Even if he just has the same measured approach in probing the lane as he had last night, different story. But he does not have a consistent approach, and he certainly isn't defended by Lillard every night. And if he does continue to improve, he's going to start drawing tougher defenders more consistently.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
4xBuck
Sixth Man

Post#230 » by 4xBuck » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:45 pm

Fair enough…

What do you think Jennings would have been like if he didn’t have such dysfunctional offensive coaching & talent around him? Just switch him out with Rondo… Coached by Rivers & passing to Garnett, Pierce & Allen.

Me thinks there would be more than a 10% bump.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 25,808

Post#231 » by paulpressey25 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:46 pm

Bucks now 10-0 when Brandon has 8 or more assists.

Tons of noise in that stat but I still find it helpful when your PG is able to get other guys involved. I'd personally rather have the guy dedicate himself to averaging 8apg versus improving his shooting.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Post#232 » by EastSideBucksFan » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:47 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:Bucks now 10-0 when Brandon has 8 or more assists.

Tons of noise in that stat but I still find it helpful when your PG is able to get other guys involved. I'd personally rather have the guy dedicate himself to averaging 8apg versus improving his shooting.

Remember when Jennings said he wanted to average 10 assists a game?

What happened with that?
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 25,808

Post#233 » by paulpressey25 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:49 pm

Look at Andre Miller's 2001 season.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/CLE/2002.html

10.9. apg and he's playing with a bottom of the barrel roster.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
4xBuck
Sixth Man

Post#234 » by 4xBuck » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:55 pm

That team was OK on offense, Miller was 26 by the end of the season & that was his career year.
ampd
RealGM
And1: 4,883

Post#235 » by ampd » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:17 pm

emunney wrote:And if he does continue to improve, he's going to start drawing tougher defenders more consistently.

I think its pretty telling that despite having Monta Ellis, the Heat were playing Lebron on Jennings in OT, the Lakers came out with Kobe on him (and our other guys couldn't take advantage of a 38 year old STEVE NASH ffs), and a lot of other teams tend to trap Jennings in key situations to force someone else to take the shots.

About assist totals, I think Jennings just needs to do what he does well and we will be fine. When he plays well, the team tends to do well regardless of assist totals. If he does anything along those lines, it would be to look to create more for others in the games that his shot isn't falling instead of just shooting less.

Calderon has been in the top few guys in the league in assist totals when given starters minutes and their offense couldn't even crack the top half the past few seasons.

Not that passing is bad, I just think trying to force Jennings into a pass first mold would be a failure.
jr lucosa
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,151

Post#236 » by jr lucosa » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:31 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:Look at Andre Miller's 2001 season.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/CLE/2002.html

10.9. apg and he's playing with a bottom of the barrel roster.

Andre Miller was amazing at being a traditional Point Guard, you don't find guys like that anymore.
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Post#237 » by EastSideBucksFan » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:36 pm

Andre Miller reminds me of Sam Cassell quite a bit. Both have excellent post games for a PG and just have that slow but steady and deceiving style of dribbling to trick defenders which direction they're going.
Wise1
RealGM
And1: 256

Re: Ford: Jennings #7 on players most likely to be tradedu 

Post#238 » by Wise1 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:39 pm

mattg wrote:
paulpressey25 wrote:The splits ampd put up are the problem with Jenning. Those stats in wins are great. But then you realize we've also lost almost as many games where the bad stats appear.

So the question is why do we have the bad games? I chalk it up in a lot of the cases to matchups since most of the losses come against better teams. Better teams have better defenses that bother Brandon. And when he's bothered on his shooting there isn't a lot else he is able to do on the court to overcome that.

The question becomes, what happens with Jennings when you put him alongside a good offensive player who can take pressure off of him so he doesn't have to use so many offensive possessions because we have no chance to win if Jennings doesn't shoot a lot and shoot well. I'm talking about an efficient secondary(or even primary creator), not just an efficient catch and shoot player or something. Think about how good we look offensively at times playing Beno and Jennings together when beno is playing well, and now imagine that skillset in a SG or SF who could do it consistently.

Couldn't type this faster than you said it. The player you mentioned will make Brandon and the team better. Just have to find him. Brandon is the least of this team's problems (along with Larry of course).
Wise1
RealGM
And1: 256

Re: Ford: Jennings #7 on players most likely to be tradedu 

Post#239 » by Wise1 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:44 pm

mattg wrote:How is it not Ellis? Uhh because Ellis is inefficient, has terrible shot selection and isn't effective without the ball anymore. It's cut and dry. Ellis can act as a secondary handler just fine, but that's it.

The argument that Jennings plays like a SG not a PG is really dumb for a number of reasons. I'd prefer you to explain your position first so I can refute what you say and then expand upon it more in depth so I can enlighten you.

As for the notion that surrounding talent doesn't effect who you are as a player, I laugh. The role you're asked to play is everything. If I play in a pick up game and the rest of my team are total scrubs so that I have to run the point, be the main scorer, defend their best guy, and then I ask you guys to break down and analyze my game. You'll tell me that I'm inefficient because ill miss a bunch of shots I'd never normally take, I'd be turnover prone because there is no one to take the pressure off when they ramp up the defense, and my own defense would suffer because of the huge offensive responsibility on my shoulders. Now change things up and give me better teammates. Ask me to play off ball as a catch and shoot guy who doesn't have to handle the ball ever, and just defend all out. Now analyze my game. I'm gonna be mega efficient, and barely turn it over if ever, and my defense will be extremely bothersome. Same exact player, just a different role based on who else I play with.

People need to realize, Jennings has weaknesses as a player, but they aren't the driving cause of the bucks not being a great team, this is a roster composition problem. I've never said Jennings is good enough to lead you anywhere as the best player on the team, but that should be common sense. As a 3rd best guy though, in a smaller role? So you guys can continue to bitch and moan about Jennings not being able to play like a top 10 player every night, or you can be realistic and just realize the team needs better talent up top and shouldn't be banking on a 10th overall selection to carry you. And there's plenty of folks here like that, that realize this team goes nowhere until you can acquire a top end talent. That doesn't make Jennings a garbage player or not worth keeping though.

And baddy, where does your idea come from that guys who make 10 million have to be an efficient 20ppg instead of an efficient 16ppg? That's just silly to me in the current nba.

Rumble young man rumble. AHHHHH!
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,659

Post#240 » by AussieBuck » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:39 pm

4xBuck wrote:
paulpressey25 wrote:

That is really an amazing link you did there. I didn't realize the massive gap between the elite PG's and the other guys.

Yeah, that’s a real complete gauge, yeah… How many of those guys are 23 & under & how many have had to play on teams with the same offensive talent as Jennings had around him?

Jennings had 7 or 8 assists last night?!?- should have been more like 12 or 13.

It's pretty much every PG that gets decent minutes. The better backups are right behind him too.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter

Return to Milwaukee Bucks