PG: Bucks beat Portland

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 22,775

Re: PG: Bucks beat Portland 

Post#121 » by Baddy Chuck » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:35 pm

4xBuck wrote:
Bobicous wrote:Why is it so hard who actually watch the game to see why Jennings assist total isn't as good as other point guards, the Bucks don't play a style of O that the point dominates. (the lack of good shooting doesn't help either) If you look at the Sixers stats Jru has most of their assist, with Turner 2nd and then everyone else under 2 assist per game. Beyond that we don't have an option to get Jru, what we have is Jennings and I am not sure why everyone is such a rush to get rid of him with no viable replacement.

Again, it comes back to an agenda of bellyaching about the Bucks in general & specifically all things Jennings by few posters.

It comes down to wanting the Bucks to improve. In my opinion, I've seen 4 years of Jennings to know flat out he isn't much of a creator for teammates and he is just a flat out inconsistent scorer. I don't believe he can "learn" to be a better creator for others, I think that is just a skill you posses and I've seen enough sample size where I'm not sold he'll be able to to score efficiently and consistently. I think if you want your team to go anywhere in the NBA you need atleast one of those two things at the point unless you have a superstar, which keeping Jennings prevents you from getting in the draft.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
GHOSTofSIKMA
RealGM
And1: 8,006

Post#122 » by GHOSTofSIKMA » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:46 am

40 minutes of basketball is fun for a 22 year old. i wish i could go do that again. he may slow down slightly at the end of any given game... maybe he learns bad habits because of it. but the idea that this is somehow going to affect his career physically in some way cracks me up. at that age i used to play 4 hours a day 3-4 days a week... in the offseason! im sure all the other rookies in this league are jealous. he needs to pick up his defense and a little in game rest would help that..... but in the grand scheme he'll be just fine. the blazers got a good one with that kid.
showtimesam
Veteran
And1: 32

Post#123 » by showtimesam » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:49 am

It was fun watching Terry Stotts' offense make no effort to get Aldridge the ball in positions to score. Aldridge easily would have put up 30 plus points last night with Sanders missing so much time if they posted him up.

The Blazers might as well deal him if they are going to hold onto good ol Terry as coach.
GHOSTofSIKMA
RealGM
And1: 8,006

Post#124 » by GHOSTofSIKMA » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:56 am

chris paul is immediately worth 8 games. im not sure holiday is right now. id say 2-3 is more like it.

but with holiday wed be a hell of alot more consistent. and consistency breeds improvement... individually and as a team. long term as a team its gonna be difficult to become a rock solid 50 win team with brandon jennings as he sits today. he plays like a good player on a bad team... thats his style. holiday doesnt have the swag or explosion but hes more productive and steady. hes a pg built for a long season that ends in the month of may.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Post#125 » by LUKE23 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:05 am

Baddy Chuck wrote:I think it's fairly easy to believe that we could be that much better. There isn't one thing on the court Brandon does better then Jrue this season. You can state that their career are the same but that can go back to the players breaking out in 4 seasons or less thing. Jrue is doing it, even after getting his extension, Brandon hasn't.

The one stat I love is 41.7% of teammates field goals are assisted by Jrue when he is on the floor. He is one of the best creators in the league. Jennings is sitting a paltry 26.3.

Sorry, but I'll say it flat out, you're wrong. If you think that, then you think this current roster is a 50 win team with Holiday. I understand disliking Jennings or getting upset about extending him at an overpay, but to say Holiday is 8 wins better is agenda-driven BS, quite clearly.
Baddy Chuck
RealGM

Post#126 » by Baddy Chuck » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:30 am

I think we're about a 40 win team right now. You give a point guard who is better at scoring, much better at creating for others and who can defend the tougher guard between he and Monta every night rather easily and I think we can be that Indy level team and win 48 games. You give me a shooting guard who can defend a little, give me 15-20 a night and shoot the three a reasonable rate and I think you could probably win 50.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,847

Post#127 » by coolhandluke121 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:50 am

coolhandluke121 wrote:
The idea that he has an argument over Irving or Holiday is ludicrous. Put either of them on the Bucks and they might be 10 games over .500.

:lol: Still trying to figure out why some people object to this statement. Perhaps it's a math deficiency? 3 more wins in the first 39 games would have them 9 games over .500 right now. 4 more wins would have them 11 games over .500. You telling me Holiday and Irving haven't been that much better than Brandon this year? Give me a frickin' break. Unless you hold Irving's injury against him I guess, but Brandon has thrown away as many games as Irving has missed so that's a wash IMO.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
CanadaBucks
Assistant Coach
And1: 314

Post#128 » by CanadaBucks » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:16 am

coolhandluke121 wrote:
coolhandluke121 wrote:
The idea that he has an argument over Irving or Holiday is ludicrous. Put either of them on the Bucks and they might be 10 games over .500.

:lol: Still trying to figure out why some people object to this statement. Perhaps it's a math deficiency? 3 more wins in the first 39 games would have them 9 games over .500 right now. 4 more wins would have them 11 games over .500. You telling me Holiday and Irving haven't been that much better than Brandon this year? Give me a frickin' break. Unless you hold Irving's injury against him I guess, but Brandon has thrown away as many games as Irving has missed so that's a wash IMO.

While I'm not arguing those guys are better I think 3-4 wins isunreasonable. Let's say you replace Jennings, Ellis, our SF and PF with better players. Are we now 36-3?
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,847

Post#129 » by coolhandluke121 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:41 am

CanadaBucks wrote:
coolhandluke121 wrote:
coolhandluke121 wrote:

While I'm not arguing those guys are better I think 3-4 wins isunreasonable. Let's say you replace Jennings, Ellis, our SF and PF with better players. Are we now 36-3?

No, because there's a point of diminishing returns when you keep adding better offensive players. There's only one ball, so you don't need a lot of stars. And I do realize that it's very hard to increase win totals by making marginal improvements, but when you've got a player like Jennings who routinely looks disinterested and apathetic when he can't make a shot to save his life, and lets it affect other parts of his game so much, then you could expect a bigger bump in wins than their overall body of work might suggest. That's not just by virtue of the talent discrepancy, it's also by virtue of having a player who won't throw away games on a regular basis.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
jr lucosa
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,151

Post#130 » by jr lucosa » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:47 am

Holiday is having a nice year and all the sudden he's 8 wins better than Brandon Jennings? :lol: No way. He may be slightly better, he may possibly add a win or two, maybe 3 in the perfect situation.

I'd love to see Jrue come in and take turns running Isos with Monta Ellis around a bunch of guys who can't hit the broad side of the barn and see him rack up assists and make this offense flow beautifully.
ReddWing
Banned User
And1: 808

Post#131 » by ReddWing » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:50 am

jr lucosa wrote:I'd love to see Jrue come in and take turns running Isos with Monta Ellis around a bunch of guys who can't hit the broad side of the barn and see him rack up assists and make this offense flow beautifully.
Max Green
RealGM
And1: 4,668

Post#132 » by Max Green » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:54 am

LOL @ us being 29-10 if we had Irving or Holiday. We'd be the #1 seed in the East, and be the 3rd best team record wise in the league.
Vice President of Parker-Nation.
#Jabariunleashed
#OwnTheFuture
:wizard: Maxtradamus
jr lucosa
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#133 » by jr lucosa » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:58 am

coolhandluke121 wrote:
coolhandluke121 wrote:

I don't have a problem with you making an argument that those guys have been better. That much better though? No. Not either one of them. Kyrie is a stat machine because he is the 1st and 2nd option in Cleveland. He can score and score efficiently, I wonder how his percentages look if he has to do anything on defense because as it stands today Cleveland has 4 defenders on the floor when Kyrie is playing. We saw Lilliard's D last night, I think Kyrie may be worse. Force him to exert as much energy on that end as Brandon does, then come on the other end and share all those possessions with ball dominant, idiot chucker Monta Ellis and he's not putting up those numbers he is in Cleveland.

I'm not sold that Jrue is even better than Jennings. He is having the better year but he's in a situation that is number-happy for him as well.

How are either of those guys moving the needle for their current teams? The notion that it's laughable that Brandon's season could be on par with those guys is laughable imo.

How is Kyrie going to step in here and add 9 wins when his team only has 10? Come on now.
Baddy Chuck
RealGM

Post#134 » by Baddy Chuck » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:19 am

Where is all this help I'm reading about for Jrue in Philly? Their second best player is Thaddeus Young and I'd easily argue that Mike Dunleavy is a much better offensive player then him. Their bigs are certainly not better then ours and their wings are mediocre at best. You want to see Jrue next to Monta, he already is next to Monta in Evan Turner. Jrue is #11 in the league at assists at the rim and seventh at assisted 2 point field goals, he isn't just getting his assists off of their three point shooters like you claim anyways.

We always talk about "when Brandon plays good" we are a really good team, newsflash, Jrue Holdiay averages what most would consider a good game for for Brandon. Lately we've seen the stat that we are like 8-0 when Brandon has over 8 assists, Jrue averages that. When Brandon gets teammates involved or is an efficient scorer we obviously play better, Jrue is that guy consistently, that isn't considered a good game, that is his norm.
CanadaBucks
Assistant Coach
And1: 314

Post#135 » by CanadaBucks » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:26 am

Baddy Chuck wrote:Where is all this help I'm reading about for Jrue in Philly? Their second best player is Thaddeus Young and I'd easily argue that Mike Dunleavy is a much better offensive player then him. Their bigs are certainly not better then ours and their wings are mediocre at best. You want to see Jrue next to Monta, he already is next to Monta in Evan Turner. Jrue is #11 in the league at assists at the rim and seventh at assisted 2 point field goals, he isn't just getting his assists off of their three point shooters like you claim anyways.

We always talk about "when Brandon plays good" we are a really good team, newsflash, Jrue Holdiay averages what most would consider a good game for for Brandon. Lately we've seen the stat that we are like 8-0 when Brandon has over 8 assists, Jrue averages that. When Brandon gets teammates or is an efficient scorer we obviously play better, Jrue is that guy consistently, that isn't considered a good game, that is his norm.

5.7, 6.6, 4.8, 8.5.(6.2 career).those are his a/36 for his first four years so norm might be stretching it. Jennings 6.3, 5.1, 5.6, 5.6(5.7 career)

Holiday has had a nice half season but you guys are getting carried away with potential impact here.
jr lucosa
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#136 » by jr lucosa » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:36 am

Thad Young is a PG's dream. He's shooting over 52% on the year and takes easy shots. Give us an athletic 3/4 who can score around the bucket as easy as he and that would indeed help out Brandon's assist numbers more than any catch and shooter. Also, would we be getting Doug Collins back in this trade too? Because that's the only way the type of game plan they are running in Philly would come into play here. In this offense you have two guards who either iso or hand-off and then either force something at the basket, force a jumper, find a big for an easy basket or pass out for a three. Just because Jrue would be coming here doesn't mean that all the sudden the guys around him would start being in better position to take shots.

Also, Evan Turner's USG% is 20.9% meaning that he basicly takes his portion of possessions, his career USG is 19.3 compared to Monta's 27.9% (25.8% career). He also doesn't take nearly as many bad shots, he's attempting under two 3 point shots per game at nearly 40% compared to Monta's 3.4 per at 24%, he also doesn't attempt 360 layups when it's 1 on 4. That is not the same thing.
Baddy Chuck
RealGM

Post#137 » by Baddy Chuck » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:38 am

CanadaBucks wrote:Holiday has had a nice half season but you guys are getting carried away with potential impact here.

Isn't it very well that this could just be the year he broke out though? Brandon's a year older and most are willing to give him 4 more years to finally break away from him norm.

We would clearly have a better record replacing Brandon for Jrue these 40 games. Maybe Jrue numbers drop drastically but I like to go by what I've seen. Jrue has busted free from his "projected norm", Brandon is still looking to do that.

I'm 100% willing to stick by what I've said. You give me Jrue we've seen for 40 games going forward instead of the Jennings we've seen for 40 games and this team is a tier above where it is now. We'd be right up there with a Rose-less Bulls and Indy.
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Post#138 » by EastSideBucksFan » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:40 am

jr lucosa wrote:Thad Young is a PG's dream. He's shooting over 52% on the year and takes easy shots. Give us an athletic 3/4 who can score around the bucket as easy as he and that would indeed help out Brandon's assist numbers more than any catch and shooter.

Free Tobias Harris.
Buck You
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 541

Post#139 » by Buck You » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:43 am

Daly was so bad out there.

It's amazing boylan took more than 1 minute to get him the hell off the court.
Bobicous
Junior
And1: 121

Post#140 » by Bobicous » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:51 am

Baddychuck did Jennings do your girlfriend on top of you after he took your lunch money??? Look at the assist totals on the 6ers after Jru, its 3 and change from turner then everyone is under 2. Now look at the bucks with Jennings and Monte both just above 5 then Udrih at 3 and change, see how the Bucks offense spreads the ball control around more than Philly??? (oh and the starters for Philly shoot .461 vs .422 for the Bucks, might help to get more assist when people can actually hit shots!)

Also if Jru is all that and a bag of chips and makes his team so great why are they 6 games under 500 and the Bucks are over 500? To people who think Jennings can't dish watch him when he played the Lockout summer games with people who can actually finish and you see a guy who is willing to pass and does a damn nice job of it but other than Duns he hasn't had a good finisher on this team in forever. The Bucks have issues but putting Jennings at the top of your list is very very strange! How about dump Monte who has been good in like 5 games, trade for a quality big that can finish, and ride Jennings through the year and then if you don't like the numbers to sign him you move on and use all that freed up money to sign from the tons of quality PGs that are better than Jennings. To be honest I would love for him to go to a team like the Knicks or Lakers and watch him blow up with quality players around him.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks