PG: Bucks beat Portland

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

BucksFanSD
Veteran
And1: 1,363

Re: PG: Bucks beat Portland 

Post#61 » by BucksFanSD » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:44 am

Turk Nowitzki wrote:
WiscSports1 wrote:Can someone explain to me why Ersan didn't see much run in the 4th? I mean, he had 27/14 and only 4 fouls so sitting half the quarter makes sense, but....

I didn't get this either, he was playing his best game of the season. Put him back in, you can always pull him again for a bit if he picks up a 5th foul too.

The team on the floor had a 15 point lead with 7 minutes to go and was playing well.

The team had a 12 point lead with just under 3 minutes left and the game appeared over.

I was curious if Boylan was going to put Ersan back in as well but I thought it was his game-feel decision considering how the game and play was in the 4th quarter.
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,429

Post#62 » by blazza18 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:47 am

Everytime the camera went to Stotts I kept thinking he was Alan Ruck.
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
BankIt
Junior
And1: 0

Post#63 » by BankIt » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:48 am

bigkurty wrote:I didn't get to watch but happy to see we won. Why n the hell did Monta shoot 5 threes? Ughhh why doesn't he realize that he is terrible at threes. He is under .250 now. Wtf

Because he gets the ball late in the shot clock forcing him into bad shots,.
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 22,612

Post#64 » by Baddy Chuck » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:50 am

BankIt wrote:
bigkurty wrote:I didn't get to watch but happy to see we won. Why n the hell did Monta shoot 5 threes? Ughhh why doesn't he realize that he is terrible at threes. He is under .250 now. Wtf

Because he gets the ball late in the shot clock forcing him into bad shots,.

He shoots more threes with 20 seconds left in the clock then the situation you stated.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
Epicurus
RealGM
And1: 851

Post#65 » by Epicurus » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:51 am

Epicurus wrote:
DanoMac wrote:
Even so, he's doing his personal best to ram Lillard's head thru the Rookie Wall if he continues to play him 42 MPG.

Maybe, unlike you, Stotts knows that In the last 20 years, 38 rookies (16 of whom were ROYs) have played 35 MPG or more. 6 of them averaged more than Lilliard has so far this year (Damon Stoudamire, Allen Iverson, Shane Battier, LeBron James, Michael Finley and Tim Duncan).

Maybe he also knows, unlike you, that 114 players in the last 20 years have played 40 minutes or more per year. But then he is not dependent upon the echo chamber from uninformed sports media.

While I don't disagree with your point, your Stotts boner is really creeping me out. Seriously, you don't come on this board in forever only to swoop in on a Stotts gameday to verbally fellate Stotts to the ends of the world and back? What is with the Stotts obsession? I don't even think he's a bad coach, but your undying love for him is both odd and disconcerting.[/quote]
You are guilty here of selective recall or perception (depending if you have the capacity of memory). I have posted here several times this year already, having nothing to do with Stotts. And I posted here quite a few times since he left. All you do above is just show your immaturity to engage in meaningful discussion.
ampd
RealGM
And1: 4,883

Post#66 » by ampd » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:57 am

Bad Midget wrote:Unless Bucks really fall off, Ellis will not be traded.

If its true, its bad news.
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,429

Post#67 » by blazza18 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:10 am

ampd wrote:
Bad Midget wrote:Unless Bucks really fall off, Ellis will not be traded.

If its true, its bad news.

As fans we really are in a lose/lose situation when it comes to Ellis. Will be interesting to see if the FO are stupid enough to keep him around even though we are in playoff contention.
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
Jez2983
RealGM
And1: 7,879

Post#68 » by Jez2983 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:07 am

Good to get a win. Great that Ersan played well and that Jennings continues his good play.

Statistically Monta's basically playing as bad as he has since he was a rookie.
trwi7 wrote:Will be practicing my best Australian accent for tomorrow.

"Hey ya wankers. I graduated from Aranmore back in 2010 and lost me yearbook. Is there any way you didgeridoos can send anotha yearbook me way?"
VooDoo7
RealGM
And1: 20,790

Post#69 » by VooDoo7 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:48 am

Did Brandon just recently get that Rolling Stones tat on the middle of his chest? :lol:
randy84
RealGM
And1: 6,376

Post#70 » by randy84 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:09 am

This tweet sums up the Bucks the best.

Matt Moore @HPbasketball about 3 hours ago
Bucks are the drunk guy who had a good night, stayed too long, and are now stumbling to get out the door. Need a friend to put them in a cab

Read more: http://hoopshype.com/twitter/media.html#ixzz2IVNT9tvZ
ReddWing
Banned User
And1: 808

Post#71 » by ReddWing » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:21 am

Baddy Chuck wrote:If you put weight into records and not the best player I feel like he should make it over even Deron Williams. I just think it's hard to put him in an all-star game over Holiday and Irving. In my opinion an all-star is the best players, not records.

I think he is has an argument over Kyrie. The Cavs suck and the stats are pretty close to give BJ the nod. Holiday is having a better season but I wonder if they will use the record to judge. It may not show on the stat sheet but the Bucks good record can be attributed to BJ taking over games like tonight.
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,834

Post#72 » by coolhandluke121 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:11 pm

ReddWing wrote:
Baddy Chuck wrote:If you put weight into records and not the best player I feel like he should make it over even Deron Williams. I just think it's hard to put him in an all-star game over Holiday and Irving. In my opinion an all-star is the best players, not records.

I think he is has an argument over Kyrie. The Cavs suck and the stats are pretty close to give BJ the nod. Holiday is having a better season but I wonder if they will use the record to judge. It may not show on the stat sheet but the Bucks good record can be attributed to BJ taking over games like tonight.

Brandon has caused more losses than wins for the Bucks. If you break down his games into three categories - awful, average, and very good - which category has the most games in it by far?

Furthermore, Brandon has an incredibly foolish strategic approach to the game. It's an approach that guarantees a few great games out of every ten, but also guarantees a lot more games where he shoots his team out of the game. When you reward him for those few great games, you are only encouraging a loser's approach to the game.

I don't want to hear about any minor improvements in his ts%, either. Unless that improvement is based on creating more efficient opportunities at the basket and ft line, then it's always going to be a marginal improvement at best. Normal fluctuations might make it look like he's improving, but overall he's just a terrible jump-shooter who's entire game is predicated on shooting lots of jumpers so there's no reason to hope he'll ever be anything more than a chucker. Get back to me if he starts creating better opportunities for himself and his teammates on a regular basis.

The idea that he has an argument over Irving or Holiday is ludicrous. Put either of them on the Bucks and they might be 10 games over .500.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
KeyRabbit
Rookie
And1: 38

Post#73 » by KeyRabbit » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:12 pm

The post-Skiles-firing, individual-push-for-ASG bump is really helping the Bucks. Let's see them sustain it (and Jennings).

Whoever posted a day or 2 ago about Henson shooting every time he get the ball: spot on. If he ever learns to pass out of a double team it will be a good thing.

I'm no Ellis fan, but he had more good plays on offense and defense than bad. He was a huge matchup problem for the Blazers all night. Not going to slam him for that performance just for the sake of criticism.

Man those 2 teams seem like natural trade partners.
RealGM
And1: 1,220

Post#74 » by Chapter29 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:20 pm

Strange Game.

First half we really could do no wrong on either end. A very fun game to watch. The sharing and movement on offense was outstanding, setting picks and hitting our shots. The second half we start to stand around and then melt down after Larry gets tossed. A very ugly game to watch. Lillard is a nice talent and I'd take Matthews on this team in a heartbeat over Ellis.

Portland has been destroyed by injuries over the years. They have a good starting 5 but I think their bench is very weak and will be their Achilles heel when its all said and done. We should win this game imo though I would have guessed our bench would have done better against theirs.

Jennings. Gotta love him when he is in swag mode. It feels like he's been getting into swag mode a little bit more often. I though he did a good job running the team, being our primary scorer (which I wish wasn't the case) and really doing a nice job defensively. And he was getting to the line....what more can you ask for? OK he could be a better shooter....not gonna happen anytime soon.

Ellis? What's there to say really? The guy just cannot shoot the ball and against guys like Matthews he looks like a child who's really athletic. He can literally get any shot on the court he want's. Great...he can't hit em.

Moute. I think he's starting to shoot too much. Ever since he came back from injury I was pleasantly surprised by his improved offensive aggressiveness. Really active around the rim, slashing, getting fouled...etc etc. Now? I think he's starting to take on too much. His skill sets are elsewhere and we really don't need him taking 10 shots per game like he has most recently. He's shooting 40%. That's him Ellis and Jennings all shooting 40%. Terrible.

Ersan. Well thank goodness last years Ersan still exists somewhere. More so than most he's a confidence guy. Lets hope this is a turn around game for him.

Larry Larry Larry..... Ugh. He was just off last night and that got to him. He missed a dunk, fumbled several rebounds and catches and just got frustrated. Unfortunately he doesn't yet realize why he needed out there and that's on defense. I love when he and Henson are on the floor together. Can't wait to see that in a year or 2.

Udoh. I think he's the odd man out in due time. Obviously anyone on this team could easily be traded but since he's mostly redundant on the team I could easily see him moved. I still believe he is our best on ball defender in the FC though of late he seems to be fouling more. Had a terrible game.

Dunleavy. The only guy on the team that can actually shoot the ball. IMO he should be in the starting line up and increase him to starters minutes. Get him more shot attempts. Moute should get 1-5 per game and should be in a defensive stopper role, Dunleavy should be in the 10 plus range.

Udrih is a very nice backup PG. Very similar imo to when we had Ridnour. Solid fundamental backup PG. I'd have no issue keeping him if he'd be willing.

Henson. I love the guy. Got hurt a little bit and didn't have a good game. Didn't seem to get his rhythm and looked a bit lost. I cannot wait to see when he takes over the starting PF spot. He will be a better player than Ersan, its just a matter of when. His legs worry me. He looks very breakable.
Giannis
is
UponUs
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,213

Post#75 » by LUKE23 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:11 pm

Through 39 (21-18):

O: 27th (102.2)
D: 7th (103.1)
Pace: 4th (94.1)
Expected W-L: 17th (.461, 37.8 wins over full season)
Actual W-L: 13th (.538, 44.1 wins over full season)
RPI: T-14th (.505)
SOS: T-17th (.494)
SRS: 17th (-1.25)
PPG Differential: 17th (-.92)
Hollinger Power Rank: 20th (98.273)
Hollinger Playoff Odds: 6th seed in East, 41-41, 82.7% chance of playoffs
BucksFanSD
Veteran
And1: 1,363

Post#76 » by BucksFanSD » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:19 pm

coolhandluke121 wrote:
ReddWing wrote:

Brandon has caused more losses than wins for the Bucks. If you break down his games into three categories - awful, average, and very good - which category has the most games in it by far?

I disagree. We're 21-18. Brandon has been plenty good. He's a deserving all-star. He's had some games where he has been bad but who doesn't? Most of the time I see Brandon bailing out the team when the team is lacking confidence and they put it on his shoulders. I've stated this plenty of times- this is not a balanced team. It forces the back court to make stuff happen. Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't. From a strategic approach, the opponent really just needs to focus on shutting down our backcourt and Dunleavy. If they do that, our opponent will win. That's why I keep saying we need a David West type to balance things at the 4. That or a 2011-2012 Ersan and continued progress from John Henson.
Nebula1
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#77 » by Nebula1 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:29 pm

Point guard is the team leader so I do believe records should be a weighted part of the selection equation. I think Jennings deserves the nod over both Williams and Holiday and should be selected with Irving.
4xBuck
Sixth Man
And1: 569

Post#78 » by 4xBuck » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:49 pm

BucksFanSD wrote: We're 21-18. Brandon has been plenty good. He's a deserving all-star. He's had some games where he has been bad but who doesn't? Most of the time I see Brandon bailing out the team when the team is lacking confidence and they put it on his shoulders. I've stated this plenty of times- this is not a balanced team. It forces the back court to make stuff happen. Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't. From a strategic approach, the opponent really just needs to focus on shutting down our backcourt and Dunleavy. If they do that, our opponent will win. That's why I keep saying we need a David West type to balance things at the 4. That or a 2011-2012 Ersan and continued progress from John Henson.

Great stuff, but it will be lost on a lot of posters… They just have too big of an agenda to complain about the Bucks & Jennings.
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Post#79 » by EastSideBucksFan » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:52 pm

Watched the game on DVR late last night....very impressed with Jennings, showed that killer instinct and looks like a potential all star and a guy we want to pay to keep him around.

If there's any choice between him & Monta....the choice is easy....pay Brandon and ship out Monta....who looked garbage once again. When he's looking to pass he makes our offense look so good....when he's launching 5 threes and making none of them he's just killing offensive possessions and throwing them in the garbage....he provided good ball pressure though with 5 steals.

Udoh is terrible. I'm going to keep posting this statement on a regular basis until it's no longer true or he's off the team. Just can't understand what's so valuable about a guy who's 6'10...plays 19 minutes and can only grab 1 freaking rebound....5 fouls...come on man...

Nice road trip, Bucks can stay hot for a week or two we have a chance to solidify ourselves in the standings and look to move up a spot or two in the conference.
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,834

Post#80 » by coolhandluke121 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:52 pm

BJ has shot under 40% in 20 games, and under 30% in 8 of those. He has been to the ft line more than 5 times in only 8 games, and only 2 of those in which he shot under 40% - so he's clearly not making up for his bad shooting by drawing fouls the way a player with his quickness and ball-handling ability should.

For the 19 games in which he shot 40% or better, he has at least 4 turnovers in 7 of those. He does have 13 games where he shot 50% or better, but that certainly doesn't offset 20 games under 40%. And don't even get me started on assists.

He has had a lot more bad games than good, and that's been the story for 4 years now. His whole game is predicated on hitting jumpers, and he's off more often than he's on. I don't see how this is even a legitimate debate.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks