PG: Brandon > Holiday

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,569

Re: PG: Brandon > Holiday 

Post#101 » by JayMKE » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:48 am

Baddy Chuck wrote:
JayMKE wrote:Maybe we should sign Tracy McGrady, and Allen Iverson, they were good players at one time too

Ersan is averaging 9 and 5 on 42% shooting, he was a good player at one point too.

What is Ersan's issue? He's only 25(allegedly) so his skills have not regressed and he hasn't had any recent major injuries. He is essentially the same player he was last year. There is no reason to assume he won't preform as he has over his entire career and he has been turning it around after a cold start. Even right now, he's still better than Pau Gasol.
FREE GIANNIS
BucksFanSD
Veteran
And1: 1,363

Post#102 » by BucksFanSD » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:48 am

Baddy Chuck wrote:
BucksFanSD wrote:Gasol is a big risk, Ersan is a medium risk, and Millsap is a low risk.

The question is, do you like risks?

I don't think Gasol is a much bigger risk then Ersan. He could completely bottom out and you have him for big money one more season. Ersan plays like he's been the whole seasons and you have him for above average money for atleast 3 seasons. Millsap is a huge risk because you'd have to give up a lot more to get him and he can walk.

JayMKE states a lot of the risks I see as well. I love Gasol's play for his whole career with the exception of the last two years. He's not the same guy. I went to a Laker game this season and everyone around me was talking negative about Gasol.

I agree Millsap walking in a risk. Correct me if I'm wrong, but can a trade be on the condition that a player has willingly agreed to immediately sign an extension (i.e. James Harden's extension)? If so, my only risk on Millsap is can he still perform in 3 years at age 30 if he's signed for 4 or 5 years. I think the answer is yes. I think he's a David West type- smart and always prepared to play well. If so, we can always trade him for value if needed.
randy84
RealGM
And1: 6,394

Post#103 » by randy84 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:49 am

H2tObes wrote:
randy84 wrote:It really comes down to Henson and Ersan. Who is going to be your starting PF two years out?

Good problem to have, if Henson is clearly the superior player, you just let Ersan be the back-up,

If they both look like capable starters, you trade Ersan.

So Ersan becomes Drew Gooden?
JayMKE
RealGM

Post#104 » by JayMKE » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:50 am

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
JayMKE wrote:Some facts about Pau Gasol

He is 32 years old and has been playing professional basketball for 15 years.

makes $20 mil a season.

has plantar fasciitis (think Bobby Simmons)

has arthritic knees.

Currenty averaging 12 points and 8 rebounds a game on 43% shooting and has just been permanently benched for Earl freaking Clark.

He was garbage in the playoffs last year, he was garbage before D'Antoni took over.

He is known for being very sensitive and pouty (think Lamar Odom)

I honestly can't believe there are people advocating trading for this guy, I seriously cannot believe it

nice list. i still give up ersan in a heartbeat. now make a similar one for dwight and garnett. id trade ersan for them too. id even deal benson for lanier all over again.

Are you comparing 12-13 Paul Gasol to Dwight Howard, Kevin Garnett, and Bob Lanier? lol.
FREE GIANNIS
H2tObes
RealGM
And1: 10,022

Post#105 » by H2tObes » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:51 am

randy84 wrote:
H2tObes wrote:
randy84 wrote:It really comes down to Henson and Ersan. Who is going to be your starting PF two years out?

Good problem to have, if Henson is clearly the superior player, you just let Ersan be the back-up,

If they both look like capable starters, you trade Ersan.

So Ersan becomes Drew Gooden?

Not like Ersan will regress into being a huge net negative on the court like Gooden. If he's coming off the bench he's going to be a good-very good 6th man.
SkilesTheLimit
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,795

Post#106 » by SkilesTheLimit » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:54 am

paulpressey25 wrote:Ersan has some Bogut in him. He's got to have confidence and be in a groove. He also has to have favorable matchups. If he has those things he can go to town.

I'll want to see him next week against Detroit. Monroe, Drummond and Maxiell have beat Ersan like a drum this year. (and before one of you sez he got 24 pts in the first game, go watch the tape. Those guys got 60 points in the paint, many against Ersan).

Agreed on this, big time. Skiles got in both of their heads so easily it was sickening. They are both mental midgets, play very inconsistent basketball, and seemed to go in spurts where they lack aggression/motivation. I'm not building my team with a core guy like that.
We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees.
- Jason Kidd
aboveAverage
RealGM
And1: 2,604

Post#107 » by aboveAverage » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:54 am

I think at this point, I'd rather keep Ersan. Not impressed by Gasol this year, even if he is being under utilized. I still want to see more from Ersan this year.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,000

Post#108 » by paulpressey25 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:55 am

Is Ersan going to be good coming off the bench?

Seems to me Skiles tried that and it failed. Ersan needs a a starting role and PT to stay sharp. He hasn't in years past put up nights like the last two coming off the bench. It doesn't work.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
BucksFanSD
Veteran

Post#109 » by BucksFanSD » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:59 am

JayMKE wrote:
Baddy Chuck wrote:
JayMKE wrote:Maybe we should sign Tracy McGrady, and Allen Iverson, they were good players at one time too

Ersan is averaging 9 and 5 on 42% shooting, he was a good player at one point too.

What is Ersan's issue? He's only 25(allegedly) so his skills have not regressed and he hasn't had any recent major injuries. He is essentially the same player he was last year. There is no reason to assume he won't preform as he has over his entire career and he has been turning it around after a cold start. Even right now, he's still better than Pau Gasol.

The issue with Ersan is that his play has been very poor this season (before these last two games). I would say it's been equal to Gasol's. If Ersan can pull it together (I admit he usually does) then we're fine. The question is- can he? The reason why this team is hard to watch is because so much weight is put on the backcourt and Dunleavy to score when the front court can't produce points. Gasol and his knees won't solve that. So do we put our faith in Ersan's production when we have assets to go after someone more consistant?
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 22,685

Post#110 » by Baddy Chuck » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:00 am

I think you trade for Gasol and put him where he belongs he's a 15 and 10 player on at least average efficiency. I think if everything works out for him and the stars align Ersan is that. Gasol gives you a better shot in the playoffs the next two years and when he's gone you roll Henson as your starter. You aren't giving up any good piece for winning now or a future piece and you clear a little cap in the future. I'd do the deal 10/10 times right now and unless Ersan looks like a 15/10 every night guy until the deadline, I do it then as well.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
GHOSTofSIKMA
RealGM
And1: 7,962

Post#111 » by GHOSTofSIKMA » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:02 am

JayMKE wrote:
Are you comparing 12-13 Paul Gasol to Dwight Howard, Kevin Garnett, and Bob Lanier? lol.

yes. 12-13 gasol is right there with 12-13 howard and garnett and the older "broken down" version of lanier we traded for.

no matter how you try and spin it, hes one of the top 5 centers in the world today. thats assuming the energized olympic version of gasol from 6 months ago wasnt a mirage of course. that it could reappear once the crapshow in la goes into his rearview mirror, and hes utilized to his strengths again......not this gimmick crap they threw on him to appease howards sorry ass.

so yes.. im comparing them. id even suggest its possible he might bring the best impact of all 4 in that bunch for the next couple years.
JayMKE
RealGM

Post#112 » by JayMKE » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:09 am

BucksFanSD wrote:
JayMKE wrote:
Baddy Chuck wrote:Ersan is averaging 9 and 5 on 42% shooting, he was a good player at one point too.

The issue with Ersan is that his play has been very poor this season (before these last two games). I would say it's been equal to Gasol's. If Ersan can pull it together (I admit he usually does) then we're fine. The question is- can he? The reason why this team is hard to watch is because so much weight is put on the backcourt and Dunleavy to score when the front court can't produce points. Gasol and his knees won't solve that. So do we put our faith in Ersan's production when we have assets to go after someone more consistant?

He's been playing better for a while now after his atrocious November. I'm not too worried about him, there is no reason for him not to turn it around. He has a long contract but he isn't overpaid and shouldn't be too hard to move in the future if we need to free up more space for Henson.

If consistency and mental toughness are what we're upset at Ersan for lacking in, then Pau Gasol is probably the last player in the league you'd want to replace him with.
FREE GIANNIS
DanoMac
General Manager
And1: 3,733

Post#113 » by DanoMac » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:13 am

BucksFanSD wrote:I actually think Gasol makes us less competitive.

This. The guy is done.
JayMKE
RealGM

Post#114 » by JayMKE » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:14 am

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
JayMKE wrote:

yes. 12-13 gasol is right there with 12-13 howard and garnett and the older "broken down" version of lanier we traded for.

no matter how you try and spin it, hes one of the top 5 centers in the world today. thats assuming the energized olympic version of gasol from 6 months ago wasnt a mirage of course. that it could reappear once the crapshow in la goes into his rearview mirror, and hes utilized to his strengths again......not this gimmick crap they threw on him to appease howards sorry ass.

so yes.. im comparing them. id even suggest its possible he might bring the best impact of all 4 in that bunch for the next couple years.

Is this MBBOT in disguise? You'd rather have Pau Gasol right now than Kevin Garnett or Dwight Howard? Am I getting that right? Bob Lanier was before my time but he was still a 20 and 10 player when we traded for him.
FREE GIANNIS
JayMKE
RealGM

Post#115 » by JayMKE » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:15 am

Baddy Chuck wrote:I think you trade for Gasol and put him where he belongs he's a 15 and 10 player on at least average efficiency. I think if everything works out for him and the stars align Ersan is that. Gasol gives you a better shot in the playoffs the next two years and when he's gone you roll Henson as your starter. You aren't giving up any good piece for winning now or a future piece and you clear a little cap in the future. I'd do the deal 10/10 times right now and unless Ersan looks like a 15/10 every night guy until the deadline, I do it then as well.

Ersan has way more of a chance of being a 15/10 player at this point than Pau Gasol.
FREE GIANNIS
Baddy Chuck
RealGM

Post#116 » by Baddy Chuck » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:16 am

JayMKE wrote:If consistency and mental toughness are what we're upset at Ersan for lacking in, then Pau Gasol is probably the last player in the league you'd want to replace him with.

Mental toughness you are right on, Pau is a vagina but we've seen Ersan apparently is too when he doesn't get his way. Consistency I just don't see. He was one of the most consistent big men in the NBA last season (besides playoffs I will give you) and was one of the best player in the Olympics before being used like only a true jackass would next to Howard. For every excuse Ersan has with Skiles, Gasol has 3 with this current Lakers squad.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
Fight the Tank
Assistant Coach
And1: 0

Post#117 » by Fight the Tank » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:16 am

So is Jrue Holiday only worth 6 games over Jennings now?

Nice to see Ersan have some great games here, but I still think I close my eyes and pull the trigger on the right Gasol trade. As long as it is determined that Gasol is ok with it. Both mentally and physically.
"I just wanted to play because I just love the game," Jennings said. "It doesn't matter to me. I get up to play basketball. It's my job. I have to still be a professional and finish the season."
BucksFanSD
Veteran

Post#118 » by BucksFanSD » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:17 am

JayMKE wrote:He's been playing better for a while now after his atrocious November. I'm not too worried about him, there is no reason for him not to turn it around. He has a long contract but he isn't overpaid and shouldn't be too hard to move in the future if we need to free up more space for Henson.

If consistency and mental toughness are what we're upset at Ersan for lacking in, then Pau Gasol is probably the last player in the league you'd want to replace him with.

I agree with you on Gasol. I'm thinking a Millsap type as someone more consistent than Ersan and would give this team less ups and downs.

Perhaps we don't do anything major at all before deadline, maybe just a small tweak. We evaluate the entire team for the full year. Later in the season we play Tobias a little. We get the 6th or 7th seed. We take a small step towards the right direction. After the season end we decide on free agents and and any bigger trades to fill the gaps.

We're 22-18 so we're going the right direction. I think if we were sub .500 than the rumors would be flying for Monta and Jennings.
Baddy Chuck
RealGM

Post#119 » by Baddy Chuck » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:20 am

Fight the Tank wrote:So is Jrue Holiday only worth 6 games over Jennings now?

Let me take a look at the past 40 games. Yup.
Baddy Chuck
RealGM

Post#120 » by Baddy Chuck » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:24 am

JayMKE wrote:Ersan has way more of a chance of being a 15/10 player at this point than Pau Gasol.

He's 13 and 8 now next to the best rebounder in the league and being played like a complete jackass and has been a 18 and 10 guy the past 10 seasons and looked like one 6 months ago. In his best stretch as a pro Ersan was a 16 and 9 and that was like 2/3 of a shortened season, essentially what we'd see from here to the end of the season. I'd take Gasol in that bet all day.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks