ImageImage

PG: Brandon > Holiday

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,725

Re: PG: Brandon > Holiday 

Post#221 » by emunney » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:21 pm

So far the main thing I like about Boylan over Skiles is that there is actually some deliberation offensively. The Bucks have been attacking mismatches repeatedly. Saw it with how we repeatedly went into the post on mismatches like LRMAM/Turner, Udoh/Young, Henson/anybody.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
Nebula1
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#222 » by Nebula1 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:21 pm

Afflalo is not the guy and let's not forget the reason the Bucks franchise has life again is because of drafting well and not trading away picks. I'd rather see what this team can do and work in the offseason to perhaps move up in the draft, sign/trade for a franchise player, etc. I don't think there is any reason to rush a move like Afflalo especially at such a high cost.

Remember not that many were very high on Larry Sanders until he started to blossom and now folks wouldn't trade him for Nerlens Noel. Let's see what Tobias can blossom into before deeming him 'marginal'.

Simply no way I'm giving up two nice assets (pick, Harris) for a player like Afflalo.
Steve210
Pro Prospect
And1: 79

Post#223 » by Steve210 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:22 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
LUKE23 wrote:It's been 8 games, and four of their wins are Suns, Sixers, and Raptors. They are playing well, but lets wait and see how they do when the schedule toughens up. I know many are anxious to get their agendas verified, but there is usually a surge when a coaching change is made.

I said they'd go 7-3 in their first ten. Switching from drill sergeant to players friend always works initially.

I'm happy though with the switch and encouraged by what I see.

I'm very happy with what I see so far, for those of us that have been hoping for Skiles departure, this is exactly the kind of bump I thought we would get once the little drill instructor got relieved of his duties. You look at a few minor changes Boylan has made like putting Ersan back in as the starter which clearly has got Ersan going. Marquis Daniels back in the role that he should be, veteran bench guy. Henson getting consistent minutes on a nightly basis, all of these little changes have had a positive impact on the team. I really like the way Boylan tends to compliment his players before and after the games, I think these guys are starting to have fun again which is all we could hope for as fans.

Thoughts on Gasol, no thanks, no interest what so ever, I'm not saying he's done, but he's a step backwards, not forwards, I'd rather keep rolling with Larry, Henson, Ersan, then bring in a guy like Gasol that hasn't been the same guy for whatever reason for awhile. If he's not 100% that's one thing, but if he is ok, and still not playing well, that's not a good sign.

I'm wondering how many more top point guards does Jennings have to out play to get some respect around here? Jennings clearly owned Holiday last night, I hope that game might help tip the scale in his favor for one of those last All-Star spots. If Kyrie gets in, and Jennings doesn't, Friday's game could be very interesting or vice versa.
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,978

Post#224 » by Badgerlander » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:22 pm

emunney wrote:
I agree with you in principle, I just don't think Afflalo is very good.

Especially when you take into account what we'd be giving up to get him. A late first one of these years to get a guy like a Jeffery Taylor or a Jimmy Butler would be perfect and a lot more cost effective.
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,049

Post#225 » by paulpressey25 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:23 pm

LUKE23 wrote:We can not straddle without also giving up Harris and our 1st. I mean come on, that's overpaying for Afflalo. Harris will likely be a better scorer than Afflalo alone, let alone giving the pick.

If we can't turn Monta and/or Udoh and/or our expiring into a better wing fit, we have problems. We need to stay patient though and keep the young pieces together.

No problem if something good is out there for Monta and Udoh. I also am not wedded to Afflalo. But I don't see Tobias ever being as good as Afflalo is now.

I just want us to go all in on the future (Deal Jennings, Duns, Monta) or go all in on the present. Outside of this board, the fanbases of the other 29 teams wouldn't be very excited about Tobias unless they gave up minimal to get him.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
Nebula1
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#226 » by Nebula1 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:23 pm

emunney wrote:So far the main thing I like about Boylan over Skiles is that there is actually some deliberation offensively. The Bucks have been attacking mismatches repeatedly. Saw it with how we repeatedly went into the post on mismatches like LRMAM/Turner, Udoh/Young, Henson/anybody.

All that and sticking with a rotation and letting the guys play a little more loose. I feel like Skiles would have found a way to lose the game last night when it got tight down the stretch.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,061

Post#227 » by Thunder Muscle » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:23 pm

I think the next 8 games will be a good test. Its a mix of back to back, a mini West trip, to NY, and some good teams at home. If you walk out of that stretch 6-2, or even 5-3, I think we can start to get excited maybe.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Post#228 » by LUKE23 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:23 pm

emunney wrote:Henson/anybody

:D
Sigra
RealGM
And1: 1,240

Post#229 » by Sigra » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:27 pm

Boylan also had better record than Skiles in that season when both coached Bulls. Maybe he is just better?
JimmyTheKid
General Manager
And1: 5,136

Post#230 » by JimmyTheKid » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:28 pm

Steve210 wrote:If Kyrie gets in, and Jennings doesn't, Friday's game could be very interesting or vice versa.

All that "Jrue Holiday being 8 games better and on another tier" talk was obviously absurd. But Kyrie Irving is definitely better than Brandon Jennings. I think both Irving and Jennings deserve the nod.
Fight the Tank
Assistant Coach
And1: 0

Post#231 » by Fight the Tank » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:35 pm

JimmyTheKid wrote:
Steve210 wrote:If Kyrie gets in, and Jennings doesn't, Friday's game could be very interesting or vice versa.

All that "Jrue Holiday being 8 games better and on another tier" talk was obviously absurd. But Kyrie Irving is definitely better than Brandon Jennings. I think both Irving and Jennings deserve the nod.

ITS 6 GAMES NOW. :D . Or maybe 4 since Jennings beat up on Holiday the first game too. I'm not sure how to calculate this one.

For all of Jennings statistical faults I hope he makes it. He plays every game and when he plays well the Bucks win. I think it would be a shot in the arm for both the organization and himself. Plus the team has done really well head to head for the Eastern Conference. I thought I heard that the Bucks have the best record vs. teams currently in the playoffs in the EC.
"I just wanted to play because I just love the game," Jennings said. "It doesn't matter to me. I get up to play basketball. It's my job. I have to still be a professional and finish the season."
KeyRabbit
Rookie
And1: 38

Post#232 » by KeyRabbit » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:37 pm

LUKE23 wrote:It's been 8 games, and four of their wins are Suns, Sixers, and Raptors. They are playing well, but lets wait and see how they do when the schedule toughens up. I know many are anxious to get their agendas verified, but there is usually a surge when a coaching change is made.

QFT

They got a bump from the coaching change and players go into a higher gear every year pre-ASG. This isn't an upper-tier team even if you do the Gasol trade. The only real question for me is whether you just ride out this season as is and take advantage of a good cap situation vs. try for a "win-now" when you know you aren't competing for a championship anyway.

It's clear to me they need to make every move with re-signing Sanders in mind. Secondarily they need to strongly consider paying Jennings and Udoh, while continuing to groom Henson. That's the core and a futile effort to win now (i.e., second round of the playoffs) that interferes with that doesn't appeal to me at all. I can wait a season or two for a real contender.
And1: 1,173

Post#233 » by raysbookclub » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:42 pm

N8Frog wrote:If we continue to win, does it make more or less likely Ellis is dealt? Or no difference?
Does an All-Star appearance by BJ3 really make his contract jump this offseason?
Short of going to the NBA Finals, do you feel there is any chance Boylan is the Head Coach next year?

1. Less likely Ellis is dealt. But more likely too that Ellis opts out after the season, making it nearly a lock we re-sign Jennings, who...

2. ... coming off an All-Star appearance, should get a jump in the contract. Not because of the "all-star" on his resume, but because the league will have recognized the way he played last night and against the Blazers, and the way he played during the weeks he was EC P of Wk, not as fluke games but as more and more who he is as a player.

3. No idea. If we win a playoff series, and maybe be competitive for another round if not win another round, I'd say there's a good chance he stays.
KeyRabbit
Rookie
And1: 38

Post#234 » by KeyRabbit » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:43 pm

DrugBust wrote:I also like that we're seeing a tighter rotation and guys are allowed to play through rough stretches.

I think this ends up helping guys like Henson, who can go through brutal stretches but then suddenly click and pull out some great moves or really sweet jumpshots. Boylan lets them play a little looser, it seems, and some of them are responding well.
And1: 1,173

Post#235 » by raysbookclub » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:44 pm

emunney wrote:So far the main thing I like about Boylan over Skiles is that there is actually some deliberation offensively. The Bucks have been attacking mismatches repeatedly. Saw it with how we repeatedly went into the post on mismatches like LRMAM/Turner, Udoh/Young, Henson/anybody.

Yes. great observation
Steve210
Pro Prospect
And1: 79

Post#236 » by Steve210 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:47 pm

KeyRabbit wrote:

QFT

They got a bump from the coaching change and players go into a higher gear every year pre-ASG. This isn't an upper-tier team even if you do the Gasol trade. The only real question for me is whether you just ride out this season as is and take advantage of a good cap situation vs. try for a "win-now" when you know you aren't competing for a championship anyway.

It's clear to me they need to make every move with re-signing Sanders in mind. Secondarily they need to strongly consider paying Jennings and Udoh, while continuing to groom Henson. That's the core and a futile effort to win now (i.e., second round of the playoffs) that interferes with that doesn't appeal to me at all. I can wait a season or two for a real contender.

I agree about re-signing Sanders and Jennings, but I don't see Udoh as part of the core or the future. I'd call the core guys, Jennings, Sanders, Moute, Ersan, Henson, and possibly Harris and Lamb? I'd move Udoh for another young wing player today if I could, he's just a guy in my opinion, he's yet to impress me.

I think a bigger question is what do they do with Tobias Harris? He can't crack the rotation, but he's still so young I'd hate to give up on him, I hope Boylan starts to get Harris some minutes so we can see what we really have in this kid? I'm still thinking back to that opening night game in Boston and I thought Harris was really impressive, I hope he get's another shot soon.
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Post#237 » by EastSideBucksFan » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:49 pm

I wasn't shocked to see Udoh shooting 40% on the season.

Putrid....putrid....

Trade Udoh for Gerald Henderson....
CanadaBucks
Assistant Coach
And1: 314

Post#238 » by CanadaBucks » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:51 pm

EastSideBucksFan wrote:I wasn't shocked to see Udoh shooting 40% on the season.

Putrid....putrid....

Trade Udoh for Gerald Henderson....

I approve
Ayt
RealGM
And1: 13,777

Post#239 » by Ayt » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:51 pm

BucksFanSD wrote:Gasol does a lot of things horribly awful these days. If you watch enough Laker games you will understand. If we had Gasol this board wouldn't be able to stand him.

If Ersan keeps up this play then I forgo looking to trade him for Millsap. I like the floor spacing Ersan can provide. However, I still think he will get destroyed when he plays the Carlos Boozer types, whereas Millsap would be able to handle those types better, and Millsap has a little range as well.

Gasol would be a completely different player if he played for a different team that utilized him properly in the post.
Run-MKE 311
Senior
And1: 9

Post#240 » by Run-MKE 311 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:52 pm

Brandon is a better player than Jrue, plain and simple. Getting the consistent effort on both ends, as well as the focused effort each night, is all everyone has really wanted to see.

He is playing with a chip, especially against a guy last night who got paid and who some feel is a superior player.

I love this nice little run and hope we can sustain it.
Ball so hard.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks