ImageImage

Player of the Game - Bucks vs 76ers (01/22)

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

Player of the Game

Ersan Ilyasova
79%
Brandon Jennings
11%
Monta Ellis
10%

Total votes: 73

theFireBlanket
RealGM
And1: 3,772

Re: Player of the Game - Bucks vs 76ers (01/22) 

Post#21 » by theFireBlanket » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:25 am

Image's back.
DukeH wrote:Plenty, RealGM Bucks Board is the Golden Dawn of forums.

f=21 runs better with Diesel, #FreeChuckDiesel
ampd
RealGM
And1: 4,883

Post#22 » by ampd » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:36 am

Turd Ferguson wrote:
LedZepp007 wrote: I thought this was a smarter more subdued performance when he didn't feel as though he had to do too much. Imagine if Ellis were this efficient all the time.

This was a game where Ellis played to his strengths. Sure some games he will take more shots, or have a better matchup, or whatever. But the way he involved himself in the offense and defense was exactly how he can fit in as a positive here. Shoot those mid range shots in the catch and shoot, not off the dribble early in the shot clock. Use his possessions to find open teammates and attack off the dribble. Create extra possessions by playing smart defense in the passing lanes.

When he is stopping the ball and shooting early shot clock jumpers, he's a negative. But when he plays like he did tonight he can be a big positive too. Here's hoping that Ersan can continue to emerge from his shell and it helps the rest of the players settle into more efficient roles in the offense.
KeyRabbit
Rookie
And1: 38

Post#23 » by KeyRabbit » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:45 pm

emunney wrote:Ersan but Jennings' full court defense is definitely bothering people. Why it took Kobe doing it to him to remember it used to be the best part of his game is a question I don't have the endurance to deal with right now.

+1

Ersan for PoG
Senior
And1: 9

Post#24 » by Run-MKE 311 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:49 pm

Great to see Ers play the way that he did last night, that was a solid win against a team we needed to beat.

I do not expect this nice run to last forever with Boylan, but for now it is great to see a consistent rotation and to begin to have Ers crawling back out into the fray.
Ball so hard.
Steve210
Pro Prospect
And1: 79

Post#25 » by Steve210 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:18 pm

I voted Jennings, but I could have easily given it to Ersan. It was nice to see the Bucks step and play a good game on national tv. I think Brandon set the tone and don't think he forced any shots and he just kind of took what the defense gave him, and he also did a nice job defensively on Holiday. I like the way he got others inovlved but still was aggressive on offense. Ersan was a beast, it's good to see him stringing a few good games together, you can see he's starting to get his confidence back, let's hope he can keep it going.
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,824

Post#26 » by coolhandluke121 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:34 pm

Monta could be such a beast if he drove to the basket more. I think ersan's shooting helps monta a lot, because it opens up lanes and also gives him a nice kick-out option. Surround him with shooters and tell him to stop shooting jumpers, and he could be a stud.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
ampd
RealGM

Post#27 » by ampd » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:38 pm

coolhandluke121 wrote:Monta could be such a beast if he drove to the basket more.[snip] Surround him with shooters and tell him to stop shooting jumpers, and he could be a stud.

People have been saying that about (and to) Monta for his entire career.
coolhandluke121
RealGM

Post#28 » by coolhandluke121 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:49 pm

ampd wrote:
coolhandluke121 wrote:Monta could be such a beast if he drove to the basket more.[snip] Surround him with shooters and tell him to stop shooting jumpers, and he could be a stud.

I'm not sure what you're getting at. Monta always had respectable efficiency for a volume scorer until last season, and it was predicated on his ability to get to the rim and convert. He is far from a lost cause in that regard as long as he's still in his physical prime.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,203

Post#29 » by LUKE23 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:58 pm

coolhandluke121 wrote:
I'm not sure what you're getting at. Monta always had respectable efficiency for a volume scorer until last season, and it was predicated on his ability to get to the rim and convert. He is far from a lost cause in that regard as long as he's still in his physical prime.

But Jennings is a lost cause, despite being significantly more efficient than Monta this season and being four years younger?
ampd
RealGM

Post#30 » by ampd » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:02 pm

coolhandluke121 wrote:
ampd wrote:

I didn't mean to say he was a lost cause. Just that people have been pointing out to him that he could be so much better if only... for his whole time in the NBA.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,691

Post#31 » by floppymoose » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:35 am

I discovered I had league pass on my cable last night (sometimes it shows up without me ordering it), so I actually saw a rerun of the Bucks/Sixers game. You guys got a glimpse of the Monta I thought you were getting back at the trade.
CanadaBucks
Assistant Coach
And1: 314

Post#32 » by CanadaBucks » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:43 am

floppymoose wrote:I discovered I had league pass on my cable last night (sometimes it shows up without me ordering it), so I actually saw a rerun of the Bucks/Sixers game. You guys got a glimpse of the Monta I thought you were getting back at the trade.

More glimpses please
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 22,605

Post#33 » by Baddy Chuck » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:50 am

floppymoose wrote:I discovered I had league pass on my cable last night (sometimes it shows up without me ordering it), so I actually saw a rerun of the Bucks/Sixers game. You guys got a glimpse of the Monta I thought you were getting back at the trade.

Whens the Ekpe you guys praised gunna show up?
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
-Jragon-
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,393

Post#34 » by -Jragon- » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:30 pm

Regarding the All-Star voting by coaches for the reserves: Does anyone else think that it might work against us that Monta and Jennings have identical stats? No coach will pick both of them, but most coaches will probably pick one because of our record (the excuse for not picking Jennings last year). Add to that that some coaches might fear Monta more (like the Cleveland coach) and some might think Brandon is better because of the 3's, so if they pull too many votes from each other they might both get snubbed!
Fight the Tank
Assistant Coach
And1: 0

Post#35 » by Fight the Tank » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:43 pm

-Jragon- wrote:Regarding the All-Star voting by coaches for the reserves: Does anyone else think that it might work against us that Monta and Jennings have identical stats? No coach will pick both of them, but most coaches will probably pick one because of our record (the excuse for not picking Jennings last year). Add to that that some coaches might fear Monta more (like the Cleveland coach) and some might think Brandon is better because of the 3's, so if they pull too many votes from each other they might both get snubbed!

Smart money is neither make it. I think Jennings has an outside chance, but I certainly wouldn't bet on it.
"I just wanted to play because I just love the game," Jennings said. "It doesn't matter to me. I get up to play basketball. It's my job. I have to still be a professional and finish the season."
averageposter
Sixth Man
And1: 722

Post#36 » by averageposter » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:47 pm

I fully expect Brandon gets snubbed. This year it won't matter what your teams record is, last year it apparently did. On the one hand I feel like its a legitimate snub, but still I'm not really surprised, after all our own fan base has been lukewarm on him at best. I think it was a game or two ago during one of those Larry chant moments, where my wife said, I wonder how Brandon feels about this. Her point was really that in all the home games we went to where Brandon was really the only thing going right, we never had a Brandon chant going. I had to admit I started remembering hearing Larry chants after a couple of nice blocks in an otherwise quiet game statistically and Brandon is sitting at 20 and 8 or something thinking to myself even with his uneven play the fans haven't embraced him as their star.

I thought the allstar chant by sector 7 and Brandon's response was a nice gesture and I hope he gets in, but I think he's probably getting snubbed. This time I hope he comes back with a fire lit though.
ampd
RealGM

Post#37 » by ampd » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:06 pm

I think it will be Kyrie / Jrue / Rondo. Jennings needs a Bogut type dominant half season or more to get on the national radar for things like the ASG.
CanadaBucks
Assistant Coach
And1: 314

Post#38 » by CanadaBucks » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:24 pm

averageposter wrote:I fully expect Brandon gets snubbed. This year it won't matter what your teams record is, last year it apparently did. On the one hand I feel like its a legitimate snub, but still I'm not really surprised, after all our own fan base has been lukewarm on him at best. I think it was a game or two ago during one of those Larry chant moments, where my wife said, I wonder how Brandon feels about this. Her point was really that in all the home games we went to where Brandon was really the only thing going right, we never had a Brandon chant going. I had to admit I started remembering hearing Larry chants after a couple of nice blocks in an otherwise quiet game statistically and Brandon is sitting at 20 and 8 or something thinking to myself even with his uneven play the fans haven't embraced him as their star.

I thought the allstar chant by sector 7 and Brandon's response was a nice gesture and I hope he gets in, but I think he's probably getting snubbed. This time I hope he comes back with a fire lit though.

Tbh I don't think he deserves it and I don't think he'll get in but please Brandon, don't sulk.
coolhandluke121
RealGM

Post#39 » by coolhandluke121 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:17 pm

LUKE23 wrote:
coolhandluke121 wrote:

But Jennings is a lost cause, despite being significantly more efficient than Monta this season and being four years younger?

Brandon's style of play doesn't lend itself to significant improvements in efficiency. Aside from the usual fluctuations due to his occasional hot streak, he will continue to hover around 50% ts unless he learns to take it to the basket more and get to the ft line more. He hasn't proven to be at all capable of doing that on a consistent basis. He has no inclination to do that. Just the fact that he's younger doesn't mean he's going to start doing that. It's not a question of inexperience, it's a question of toughness and desire. He lacks the disposition to play that way.

Monta, on the other hand, has proven that he's capable of being a much more assertive, efficient scorer than Jennings. He hasn't done it every season, but he has at least proven capable of being that type of player. And he was at his best when he was Brandon's age, which is when a player that quick and athletic should be changing games by attacking the basket at will. And at age 27, and with the eye test showing that he clearly does still have elite quickness and agility, there's hope for him to return to being that type of player for extended stretches. What evidence is there that Brandon will ever stop living and dying with his suspect jumper in almost every single game?
Serge28
RealGM
And1: 1,696

Post#40 » by Serge28 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:40 pm

Ersan passes up Monta with his third POG:

Player of the Year

Brandon Jennings: 7.5

Larry Sanders: 4

Ersan Ilyasova: 3

Monta Ellis: 2.5

Mike Dunleavy: 1

John Henson: 1

Luc Richard Mbah a Moute: 1

Samuel Dalembert: 1

Marquis Daniels: 1