ImageImage

OT | Official Fitness & Health Thread

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Nebula1
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Re: OT | Official Fitness & Health Thread 

Post#521 » by Nebula1 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:07 am

Chocolate mint for me as well. Pretty low sugar too.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,061

Post#522 » by Thunder Muscle » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:46 am

I just got the FitBit Charge HR (Heart Rate monitor) the other day. So far I like the features of it, especially the calories being a little more accurate. It was a little uncomfortable at first, but getting used to it. The website has alot of inforamation with my #s which is cool.

Of course I read about radiation from the HR monitor and now thats in the back of my mind... :banghead: Can't be any worse than cellphone I guess. :-?
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,978

Post#523 » by Badgerlander » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:51 pm

thank goodness we don't live in a Walmart state, but wth Indy?
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,026

Post#524 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:49 pm

Doing a race in colorado in August. Anyone know a good place to do some good hill training? I live close to the beach but was looking for something with more of an elevation change than across the street from Bradford. I have some vacation coming up and wouldn't mind driving a few hours for a good workout
Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Post#525 » by Thunder Muscle » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:35 am

Man this is a hard time to try to clean up a diet, just saying. :) Fortunately been running on treadmill hard and staying on my feet to break even. I've kind of hit my wall at 182-183# (from 195# at end of April), which I'm fairly happy, but would love to get under 180# but think I'll need to change some eating habits to do so.
Nebula1
RealGM

Post#526 » by Nebula1 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:20 pm

Thunder Muscle wrote:Man this is a hard time to try to clean up a diet, just saying. :) Fortunately been running on treadmill hard and staying on my feet to break even. I've kind of hit my wall at 182-183# (from 195# at end of April), which I'm fairly happy, but would love to get under 180# but think I'll need to change some eating habits to do so.

I've found that sometimes when you hit a wall like that, it's actually time to start putting on weight. That's when I work harder in the weight room and spend a little less time on the court, otherwise you risk breaking down all the muscle.
KidA24
General Manager
And1: 7,291

Post#527 » by KidA24 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:12 pm

MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:Doing a race in colorado in August. Anyone know a good place to do some good hill training? I live close to the beach but was looking for something with more of an elevation change than across the street from Bradford. I have some vacation coming up and wouldn't mind driving a few hours for a good workout

You looking to run trails or roads?

Plenty of good sections on the Ice Age Trail are pretty darn hilly, for example, Lapham Peak State Park (out near Delafield) has nice wide x-country ski trails which are hilly and a great workout.
Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”
HurricaneKid
General Manager
And1: 5,034

Post#528 » by HurricaneKid » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:00 pm

Nebula1 wrote:Chocolate mint for me as well. Pretty low sugar too.

??

29G carbs, 22g sugar

I MUCH prefer Quest Cookie Dough but its getting really difficult to get a reasonable price on them. I literally just ate a Choc Mint one. Bought 20 for $21 at PnS this weekend. More filling than Quest but the macros aren't even close.
fishnc wrote:If I had a gun with two bullets and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and LeBron, I would shoot LeBron twice.
Nebula1
RealGM

Post#529 » by Nebula1 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:10 pm

HurricaneKid wrote:
Nebula1 wrote:Chocolate mint for me as well. Pretty low sugar too.

??

29G carbs, 22g sugar

I MUCH prefer Quest Cookie Dough but its getting really difficult to get a reasonable price on them. I literally just ate a Choc Mint one. Bought 20 for $21 at PnS this weekend. More filling than Quest but the macros aren't even close.

Relative, of course. I like the Builder bars because they are so filling and with as much running I do, I'm less strict with my sugar intake. This is a place I'll spend a little more on sugar and cut it elsewhere since they fit my daily macros well.

20 for $21 is a great price, however. I love them as pre-workout fuel.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,781

Post#530 » by UcanUwill » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:06 am

I envy you people who have will to work out.
Nebula1
RealGM

Re: 

Post#531 » by Nebula1 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:46 pm

UcanUwill wrote:I envy you people who have will to work out.

I don't think it's will as much as it is passion. The gym is a great place and can change your life.

For me, it's as much as part of my life as work or sleep. It's part of my daily budget and something I look forward to every day. I go, punch in, put in work and leave.

The key is to have attainable goals and the rest will fall in line. :lift:
KidA24
General Manager
And1: 7,291

Re: Re: 

Post#532 » by KidA24 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:18 pm

Nebula1 wrote:

I don't think it's will as much as it is passion. The gym is a great place and can change your life.

For me, it's as much as part of my life as work or sleep. It's part of my daily budget and something I look forward to every day. I go, punch in, put in work and leave.

The key is to have attainable goals and the rest will fall in line. :lift:

It is will power, especially starting off.
After a two year period where I had a torn calf muscle and separate bad ankle sprains on each ankle, I'm down to 215 from almost 250 a year ago (and still want to lose another 40, probably) having made some minor diet changes, and working hard to not make bad decisions.

Working out regularly and starting to stretch, get back into better shape (as a 36 year old) has been one of the tougher things I've done in my life. Learning to listen to my "old" body and determine what pain I can push through and what I need to rest (seriously, achilles, stop hurting) is the toughest for me.

The easiest advice I can give someone starting off is to budget time at least every other day to do *something* even if it is as simple as a 20 minute brisk walk, as standing up from your desk once an hour and going to get water.... baby steps.
Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Re: 

Post#533 » by REDDzone » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:41 pm

I think you have to find something you enjoy to keep you in shape. Some love lifting weights while others love running or whatever the case may be. I didn't enjoy either so I got into martial arts which is fun to me AND keeps me in good shape. There has to be something.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Re: 

Post#534 » by Thunder Muscle » Wed Jul 1, 2015 1:06 pm

No doubt. I just have to get to the point that its webbed within my daily routine. It becomes a habit to get on treadmill or do a workout video. It is hard though, and easy to get off track.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,954

Post#535 » by BUCKnation » Wed Jul 1, 2015 6:39 pm

I hate cardio, so I'm always looking for new/different ways to do it. Right now its jump rope.

I usually make time for about 4 hours a week of lifting. I'm always looking for different routines, exercises, and ways to improve on my lifts. Definitely a way to stay motivated.
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#536 » by Newz » Wed Jul 1, 2015 6:57 pm

BUCKnation wrote:I hate cardio, so I'm always looking for new/different ways to do it. Right now its jump rope.

I usually make time for about 4 hours a week of lifting. I'm always looking for different routines, exercises, and ways to improve on my lifts. Definitely a way to stay motivated.

I signed up for '9 Round' for a few months. I think that's a lot of fun for cardio related stuff, plus you get a pretty good full body workout. The people who work at mine are all pretty awesome too. :D
Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Post#537 » by Thunder Muscle » Wed Jul 1, 2015 7:28 pm

I only have a 15# dumbbell laying around so been using that to do some arm stuff. I probably could afford to bump up to a 20 or 25# one though. But been doing the below 2x week and trying to do some pushups on the off-days (this really shows how much work I need though, lol).

10 compression arm curls (2 reps)
8 general curls (3 reps)
7 angled curls (2 reps)
6 hammer curls (3 reps)
After a few weeks, plan to bump up a rep each...or maybe buy heavier weights as sure with 15# its not going to do much after awhile.

I've been getting about 40-45 pushups and try to go a few more each time.

Nothing earth moving here, but its something and using the equipment I have. I have noticed a little more definition in my arms, but could be more from the kettleworx I did.
Peja Stojakovic
Starter
And1: 2,939

Re: 

Post#538 » by Peja Stojakovic » Thu Jul 2, 2015 12:13 am

my commitment is built entirely on guilt. i feel soft and sloppy if i go a few days without exercising
Nebula1
RealGM

Post#539 » by Nebula1 » Thu Jul 2, 2015 6:13 pm

BUCKnation wrote:I hate cardio, so I'm always looking for new/different ways to do it. Right now its jump rope.

Hoops and swimming are my favorite cardios. Hoops outside in 100 degree 100% humidity is even better.
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,674

Re: Re: 

Post#540 » by chonestown » Thu Jul 2, 2015 6:20 pm

Nebula1 wrote:For me, it's as much as part of my life as work or sleep. It's part of my daily budget and something I look forward to every day. I go, punch in, put in work and leave.

Cannot overstate the importance of establishing a schedule. My workouts come right after my workday is finished, so it's incredibly easy to follow. Even when I don't feel like working out, I get myself to the gym and it takes care of itself.
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB

Return to Milwaukee Bucks