OT | Official Fitness & Health Thread

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,980

Re: OT | Official Fitness & Health Thread 

Post#441 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:02 pm

I'm not gonna do paleo long term. I like burgers and deep fried fish and grilled cheese sandwiches too much. There's also way too much drinking in my family to expect that I turn down booze every time we get together. I'm just using this diet to get down to an ideal weight. At 207 now, and somewhere between 190-195 is probably my ideal. After that it'll just be a matter of maintaining it. Knowing what I know now about sugar and how I'm enjoying my nightly runs I don't see it being much of a problem.
pe_it72
Senior
And1: 83

Post#442 » by pe_it72 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:24 pm

Newz wrote:
KingWing wrote:That is basically what I do Newz. Strict diets like paleo and the ketosis ones can be become such a burden that they are difficult to maintain for most people.

I go by the following mantra: Don't eat sugary things, and don't eat processed foods.

Sugar is the major one. Sugar is highly addictive and makes you crave it. Removing it will reduce unnecessary snacking.

I have only been doing the no sugar thing for about three-four days now. (I already somehow lost about five pounds... which is pretty crazy... not just water weight either. :o ) But giving it up isn't easy.

I'm going to be working fruit back in eventually and a little 75%+ cocao as well. But I have been craving sugar after just about every meal. It's a good things I threw out anything sugar related in my apartment or I would have been screwed. :D

I started Monday after reading the discussion you guys have been having as well as reading the article. I almost ripped someones head off last night. Heroin addict thing came to fruition. Better today.
KingWing
Junior
And1: 168

Post#443 » by KingWing » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:38 pm

Newz wrote:
KingWing wrote:That is basically what I do Newz. Strict diets like paleo and the ketosis ones can be become such a burden that they are difficult to maintain for most people.

I go by the following mantra: Don't eat sugary things, and don't eat processed foods.

Sugar is the major one. Sugar is highly addictive and makes you crave it. Removing it will reduce unnecessary snacking.

I have only been doing the no sugar thing for about three-four days now. (I already somehow lost about five pounds... which is pretty crazy... not just water weight either. :o ) But giving it up isn't easy.

I'm going to be working fruit back in eventually and a little 75%+ cocao as well. But I have been craving sugar after just about every meal. It's a good things I threw out anything sugar related in my apartment or I would have been screwed. :D

Working in fruit/cacao in is a great way to get over sugar cravings. I like cacao nibs - quick and convenient - and stuff like no sugar added yogurt with berries and a little honey can make for a desert. Fruit is fine to eat, just don't drink fruit juice.

The cravings will lesson the longer you go. Eventually you won't think anything of it and sugary things will sometimes taste overly sweet.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#444 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:34 am

Be Here Now wrote:I've been doing a variation of the paleo diet with intermittent fasting for nearly 2 years. My peak weight was 195 (I'm 5'11"). Yesterday at a physical I weighed in at 156. My body composition is so much better compared to back when I counted calories and tried to lift. Now I just trust my body and eat until I don't want to eat any longer.

I've found the best macro breakdown to be as follows:

60% clean fats (grassfed ghee/butter, mct oil, coconut oil, olive oil/avocado oil, cacao butter)
30% protein (grassfed beef, wild seafood, pastured pork and chicken, collagen)
10% carbs (rice, good pasta once a week/occasional slice of bread, fruit and veggies)

Cheat foods: grassfed organic full fat cottage cheese with my pasta, beer, and gin/whisky.

Try starting your day of with a cup of high end coffee mixed with 1tbsp of grassfed butter, 1 tbsp of mct oil, 1 tbsp of cacao butter, 1 tbsp of collagen, and cinnamon. Blend it up and it's better than any latte you could possibly get from a coffee shop. Try to hold off on eating lunch until 1-2 pm and watch the fat melt off your body.

The routine here ended up being a lot more than I cared for in the morning, now that I'm grinding and weighing beans, heating water in a kettle and using a pour over coffee maker. I liked the end result, but in the end I think I like plain old black coffee more than a latte.

That said, I think I found a pretty nice replacement. Instead of that loaded coffee in the morning before work, I've started mixing those same ingredients with really hot Silk unsweetened vanilla almond milk after I get home from running. The stuff is 30 calories per serving with no sugar, and it actually tastes good, relatively speaking. Heating and mixing it with the above stuff makes for a nice 370-ish calorie zero sugar drink to sip on in the evening.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#445 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:58 pm

I set my unofficial goal at 195 lbs and I'm seven lbs away from that. None of my pants or work shirts fit anymore and I'm not waiting another day. Merry Christmas to me, I'm filling out my closet today.

:rockon:
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#446 » by Newz » Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:11 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:I set my unofficial goal at 195 lbs and I'm seven lbs away from that. None of my pants or work shirts fit anymore and I'm not waiting another day. Merry Christmas to me, I'm filling out my closet today.

I am down 5 pounds and I'm about 7-8 pounds from my goal weight. I am super angry about this time of year because it is brutal for me... but I got results and I've been able to keep that weight off.

It's rough for me because I have my Birthday, then right after my Birthday my family always comes into town for the holidays (and they go out to eat just about every night they are in town), then is Christmas, then is New Years.

I'm so excited to drop out the cheat meals that I have been having (I try to order as healthy as I can at restaurants... but obviously that's still not great) so that I can continue to see even more progress. :D
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 14,883

Post#447 » by RiotPunch » Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:08 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:I set my unofficial goal at 195 lbs and I'm seven lbs away from that. None of my pants or work shirts fit anymore and I'm not waiting another day. Merry Christmas to me, I'm filling out my closet today.

That's the most satisfying thing for me. I was starting to look like an MC Hammer impersonator for awhile wearing parachute pants.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,493

Post#448 » by Profound23 » Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:42 pm

Today is actually the first day I haven't worked out in a while.

I have given up bread products. I used to eat PB&J everyday for lunch.

I refuse to give up sugar, I love chocolate too much. I have watched my calorie in-take for the past few months and realized it was off the chart. I was eating a lot of donuts, bread, and beef.

In the year 2014 I went down from 205 to 175 (5'10"). My wife tells me I am getting too skinny but I have a six pack for the first time in 20 years and feel really good.

Usually 2 hour work-outs if time allows:
60 minutes of cardio everyday and rotate the other 60 minutes between upper body and lower body
RiotPunch
RealGM

Post#449 » by RiotPunch » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:33 pm

Anyone know of any places with open gyms/shoot arounds in Milwaukee? I just want to go work on my shot somewhere and I'm struggling to find anything that doesn't require a bunch of money for a gym membership. Thanks in advance.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,976

Post#450 » by Badgerlander » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:27 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Ryan_CSN/status/565887146780004352[/tweet]
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,018

Post#451 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:58 pm

RiotPunch wrote:Anyone know of any places with open gyms/shoot arounds in Milwaukee? I just want to go work on my shot somewhere and I'm struggling to find anything that doesn't require a bunch of money for a gym membership. Thanks in advance.

If you get enough guys, it wouldn't be bad trying to rent a local private grade school gym for 2 hours 1 night a week. No idea what they would charge, though.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#452 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:28 am

ReasonablySober wrote:I liked this article from Tim Grover this morning. Nothing new, but you hear it from a legend and it gets your attention.

When NBA teams opened training camp this season, everyone was talking about one thing: weight loss. Many of the leagues superstars got serious (and competitive) about their weight, shedding fat, getting lean, taking selfies, and talking about how they did it. Low carb, ultra-low carb, no carb. In other words, they got rid of the sugar. That’s not new, it’s basic science: If you dramatically reduce your sugar intake, you’re going to lose weight. But most people think good nutrition is too complicated because they never learned to eat right. When should I eat? What should I eat? How much can I eat? What if I can’t cook? For a lot of folks, fast food is easy, grilled chicken breast is not.

I give my athletes what I call The List: a yes/no inventory of foods they can eat, and those they can’t. Here are your options, here’s what you’re giving up. No sugar, no dairy, no fruit, no breads, no alcohol. No junk. Three weeks. Proven results. Very simple, because I want my guys focused on practice and games, not counting almonds and weighing boiled meat. The weight of the game is enough pressure.

I'm gonna give it a shot. It's three weeks until Christmas so what the hell.

Lost 25 lbs. Wrote about it.

One encouraging thing is how easy the first 20 lbs were. Lost that in less than a month. Then I spent January eating and drinking what I wanted and was able to maintain the weight by just not being stupid. After the Super Bowl I went back to no sugar and hit my 195 lb goal.
RiotPunch
RealGM

Post#453 » by RiotPunch » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:36 am

I'm tempted to try that, although giving up alcohol for three weeks would be seriously tough. I'm finally back down to my freshman year of college weight, 210, after being 265, at my heaviest. Now that I'm here, I know that I can drop another 20 or so to be at my ideal weight, but it might require me doing something like this. 3 weeks of not much fun, but getting myself over the edge.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,976

Post#454 » by Badgerlander » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:25 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/michaelluo/status/567720016221843456[/tweet]
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#455 » by Newz » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:32 pm

I was at 178 pounds in late October of last year and I was seriously 'skinny fat'. I am down to 160-161 as of this morning. Trying to get down to around 153-155 and have a flat stomach before I start to bulk and try to put on muscle.

Pretty pleased with the results so far of eating healthier. I just follow the simple "If It Fits Your Macros" diet and it has been working like a charm. I usually eat one thing that people would consider 'bad' every day or two... but I balance it out by eating very healthy the rest of the time.

I have stalled around 159-161 though. I haven't really been losing weight the last two or three weeks, I have just been seeing a gradual change in my waistline even though I'm eating at -500 calories a day still.

Pretty excited to be done cutting though. Excited to start packing on the muscle. :D
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,059

Post#456 » by Thunder Muscle » Wed May 6, 2015 8:07 pm

A friend of ours just gave us the KettleWorX DVD set and weight(s). Anybody do this before? Yay or nay?

I got hit with a stomach virus about a week and half ago and dropped 5#, and have used to springboard into better habits. I've really cut down on snacks, limit fast food, drinking more water, I've cut soda down (10/wk to a couple/week), cut out alcohol to a point (not sure how this will go long term), and trying to get active again. I've been good with getting on treadmill 2x day since I got healthy. I went from 195# to 186# as of this morning. I'd love to get to 180#.

I have T25 and now KWX, deciding what I want to start doing. I think with my improved habits (assuming I stay with them fairly well), the workouts should be more beneficial than in the past where I didn't really change my diet much. I did well with T25 last fall, but I tried about a month ago and my legs kind of gave out on me. I probably needed to build into it.
Nebula1
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#457 » by Nebula1 » Wed May 6, 2015 8:26 pm

Under Armour bought MyFitnessPal and so far so good. I can't recommend it enough as a tool. I've put all kinds of different tracking items in.

I'm still all about the cable flys and also now rowing/swimming much more.
PANDEMONEUM
Analyst
And1: 403

Post#458 » by PANDEMONEUM » Wed May 6, 2015 9:12 pm

cut soda for 3 months
last 2 months only 2 or so a week
havent lost much weight, but feel much much better
feel lighter and less bloated
increased my water intake, by a lot

been watching my portions and late night eating
feel a change with that too

but, i like food. i like eating.
will have to find the next thing to cut out
and limit other, goodies and favorites
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,059

Post#459 » by Thunder Muscle » Wed May 6, 2015 9:21 pm

Nebula1 wrote:Under Armour bought MyFitnessPal and so far so good. I can't recommend it enough as a tool. I've put all kinds of different tracking items in.

Counting calories is helpful. You truly realize what you're eating and make you more aware. I always get lazy with it over time though and forget to plug things in, etc.

Just did the Kettleworx first workout. Actually was tougher than expected. I used a 15# kettle bell too. Like that its 20 minute workout 3x week, very conducive to my schedule. First impression I liked it. If I can keep my diet habits in check, think I could see a nice result over time.
Nebula1
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#460 » by Nebula1 » Wed May 6, 2015 9:38 pm

Thunder Muscle wrote:
Nebula1 wrote:Under Armour bought MyFitnessPal and so far so good. I can't recommend it enough as a tool. I've put all kinds of different tracking items in.

Counting calories is helpful. You truly realize what you're eating and make you more aware. I always get lazy with it over time though and forget to plug things in, etc.

Just did the Kettleworx first workout. Actually was tougher than expected. I used a 15# kettle bell too. Like that its 20 minute workout 3x week, very conducive to my schedule. First impression I liked it. If I can keep my diet habits in check, think I could see a nice result over time.

But it's so much more than a calorie counter. I track all my macros and exercises in addition to personal things like how many minutes I'm reading, etc. and make sure all my data is in by end of day. I treat my body like a business and MFP is basically my income statement, cash flow and balance sheets.

I do know a few guys that love the kettle bells but I don't use them. I know they can be a powerful tool.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks