Rookie
And1: 197

Re: OT | Official Fitness & Health Thread 

Post#422 » by Be Here Now » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:25 am

emunney wrote:
Be Here Now wrote:
Cheat foods: grassfed organic full fat cottage cheese

Not in a mean way but go **** yourself.

MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:Gooden to me...is a rock.

He is the one player I wish was healthy all year but I do not complain about it. You can't control that so why cry?
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#423 » by Newz » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:57 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:I liked this article from Tim Grover this morning. Nothing new, but you hear it from a legend and it gets your attention.

When NBA teams opened training camp this season, everyone was talking about one thing: weight loss. Many of the leagues superstars got serious (and competitive) about their weight, shedding fat, getting lean, taking selfies, and talking about how they did it. Low carb, ultra-low carb, no carb. In other words, they got rid of the sugar. That’s not new, it’s basic science: If you dramatically reduce your sugar intake, you’re going to lose weight. But most people think good nutrition is too complicated because they never learned to eat right. When should I eat? What should I eat? How much can I eat? What if I can’t cook? For a lot of folks, fast food is easy, grilled chicken breast is not.

I give my athletes what I call The List: a yes/no inventory of foods they can eat, and those they can’t. Here are your options, here’s what you’re giving up. No sugar, no dairy, no fruit, no breads, no alcohol. No junk. Three weeks. Proven results. Very simple, because I want my guys focused on practice and games, not counting almonds and weighing boiled meat. The weight of the game is enough pressure.

I'm gonna give it a shot. It's three weeks until Christmas so what the hell.

Starting this tonight with 'cheat days' planned for Christmas and New Years most likely.

Have you stumbled upon any good recipes? I was thinking of trying to make a salad dressing with olive oil, dijon mustard, vinegar, salt and pepper. Mostly going to try to focus on stir fries using olive oil/coconut oil and Tamari Soy Sauce.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,971

Post#424 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:17 pm

Newz wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:I liked this article from Tim Grover this morning. Nothing new, but you hear it from a legend and it gets your attention.

When NBA teams opened training camp this season, everyone was talking about one thing: weight loss. Many of the leagues superstars got serious (and competitive) about their weight, shedding fat, getting lean, taking selfies, and talking about how they did it. Low carb, ultra-low carb, no carb. In other words, they got rid of the sugar. That’s not new, it’s basic science: If you dramatically reduce your sugar intake, you’re going to lose weight. But most people think good nutrition is too complicated because they never learned to eat right. When should I eat? What should I eat? How much can I eat? What if I can’t cook? For a lot of folks, fast food is easy, grilled chicken breast is not.

I give my athletes what I call The List: a yes/no inventory of foods they can eat, and those they can’t. Here are your options, here’s what you’re giving up. No sugar, no dairy, no fruit, no breads, no alcohol. No junk. Three weeks. Proven results. Very simple, because I want my guys focused on practice and games, not counting almonds and weighing boiled meat. The weight of the game is enough pressure.

I'm gonna give it a shot. It's three weeks until Christmas so what the hell.

Starting this tonight with 'cheat days' planned for Christmas and New Years most likely.

Have you stumbled upon any good recipes? I was thinking of trying to make a salad dressing with olive oil, dijon mustard, vinegar, salt and pepper. Mostly going to try to focus on stir fries using olive oil/coconut oil and Tamari Soy Sauce.

Buzzfeed has a good number of recipes that come close to fitting here and here. Just keep an eye on sugar content in some of those.

But the big thing I've noticed since I eliminated sugar is I don't get cravings or really that hungry anymore. The first thing I did when I started this was empty the pantry and fridge of all the food that wouldn't work under this plan, and replaced it all with veggies, spices, nuts and healthy fats. I had this idea that I'd be cooking dope recipes, like the ones above, regularly. But honestly, when you're not overly hungry it all just kind of seems like overkill.

One of my favorite things to do is dead simple:

Sautee onion, mushrooms and garlic
Add a veggie (broccoli, chopped asparagus, whatever)
Add whatever spices you like (I'm partial to cumin and paprika)
Cook until everything is done but firm and transfer it all to a plate to keep warm in the oven
Use the same pan to cook a protein over medium high for a couple minutes.

Boom, meal. Whole thing takes 15 minutes.

The other thing about the plan is eggs. I probably eat two dozen a week. It doesn't matter what I'm having for lunch or dinner, I'll add two or three.
Newz
Banned User

Post#425 » by Newz » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:59 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:Buzzfeed has a good number of recipes that come close to fitting here and here. Just keep an eye on sugar content in some of those.

But the big thing I've noticed since I eliminated sugar is I don't get cravings or really that hungry anymore. The first thing I did when I started this was empty the pantry and fridge of all the food that wouldn't work under this plan, and replaced it all with veggies, spices, nuts and healthy fats. I had this idea that I'd be cooking dope recipes, like the ones above, regularly. But honestly, when you're not overly hungry it all just kind of seems like overkill.

Cook until everything is done but firm and transfer it all to a plate to keep warm in the oven
Use the same pan to cook a protein over medium high for a couple minutes.

Boom, meal. Whole thing takes 15 minutes.

The other thing about the plan is eggs. I probably eat two dozen a week. It doesn't matter what I'm having for lunch or dinner, I'll add two or three.

That sounds simple enough... and delicious.

I'm doing awesome so far today. Two eggs with a little hot sauce, a hand full of cashews, steak and some sauteed mushrooms with a bit of organic butter mixed in (Grass-fed, Paleo approved butter... of course. ;) ).

Using the slow cooker for dinner. I put in some chopped up carrot and red onion, then set some chicken thighs on them. Seasoned and mixed in a little chicken broth. Seems like it will be pretty delicious.
KidA24
General Manager
And1: 7,268

Post#426 » by KidA24 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:34 pm

How do all you crazy diet people feel about brown rice?

I know it has carbs, but in my readings it seems to be a good compromise for someone like me (who has a carb inflated beer gut) to get off of breads while not killing my energy levels or completely starving myself.
Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”
Newz
Banned User

Post#427 » by Newz » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:39 pm

KidA24 wrote:How do all you crazy diet people feel about brown rice?

I know it has carbs, but in my readings it seems to be a good compromise for someone like me (who has a carb inflated beer gut) to get off of breads while not killing my energy levels or completely starving myself.

If you eat brown rice, you will die. Fact.

And by that I mean brown rice is fine. It doesn't fit the whole "paleo" thing, but if you like carb related things you could do a lot worse. I'd recommend trying sweet potatoes if you are trying to get off of breads and stuff like that too.
Zeezprah
Analyst
And1: 1,569

Post#428 » by Zeezprah » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:42 pm

perfectly fine. your body needs carbs.

just make sure they fit under your caloric allotment for the day. if you are trying to lose weight, you should be 10-20% under your caloric maintenance (depending how aggressive you want to be).
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#429 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:50 pm

I can't speak for others but the energy thing has been a complete non-issue for me. In fact, the opposite has been true. Moments after waking in the morning I'm as up and alert as I would be at 11:00 am, and when I get home I generally don't start to wind down until 8 or 9. Energy level has been off the charts.
PANDEMONEUM
Analyst
And1: 403

Post#430 » by PANDEMONEUM » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:11 pm

well,
i have gone the exact opposite route
these last 2 months
my diet has been
see it, eat it
2014, for the first 10 months was going well, but now
am the most weight ive ever been

signed up for a gym membership
gotta get back on track
Sky High
Sixth Man
And1: 280

Post#431 » by Sky High » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:49 pm

Be Here Now wrote:
emunney wrote:
Be Here Now wrote:
Cheat foods: grassfed organic full fat cottage cheese

Not in a mean way but go **** yourself.

Haha love it. This was a great bit....Jason Sudeikis pushes it over the top.
Be Here Now
Rookie

Post#432 » by Be Here Now » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:40 am

ReasonablySober wrote:
Newz wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

Use the same pan to cook a protein over medium high for a couple

Do you saute it in a fat? If so, that's exactly what I use to do a couple times a week when I first got going on paleo. A couple tbsp of a healthy fat to help digest those veggies really helped me.

I feel like in order to consume enough calories on a paleo diet you have to be getting 1500 plus from fats per day. Otherwise I would waste away to nothing. And don't worry about cholesterol if you're staying with quality products. I just got my bloodwork done 2 weeks ago and my doctor was really impressed at my "good" cholesterol number.

I eat a lot of white rice. I do chipotle a couple times a week and double up the rice. No carbs for like a week straight made me feel like a zombie.

He is the one player I wish was healthy all year but I do not complain about it. You can't control that so why cry?
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#433 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:43 am

Be Here Now wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
Newz wrote:

Do you saute it in a fat? If so, that's exactly what I use to do a couple times a week when I first got going on paleo. A couple tbsp of a healthy fat to help digest those veggies really helped me.

I feel like in order to consume enough calories on a paleo diet you have to be getting 1500 plus from fats per day. Otherwise I would waste away to nothing. And don't worry about cholesterol if you're staying with quality products. I just got my bloodwork done 2 weeks ago and my doctor was really impressed at my "good" cholesterol number.

I eat a lot of white rice. I do chipotle a couple times a week and double up the rice. No carbs for like a week straight made me feel like a zombie.

Either good olive oil and butter, or diced bacon.
Be Here Now
Rookie

Post#434 » by Be Here Now » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:50 am

A couple links that I think some of you might be interested in....

For really good, easy to cook meals and awesome paleo building blocks: http://www.amazon.com/Nom-Paleo-Food-Hu ... +nom+paleo

Ice Cream: https://www.bulletproofexec.com/get-some-ice-cream/

Find a good farm store to buy from...here's mine: http://grasswayorganics.com/

A good farm is a game changer. Mine is about an hour away from Oshkosh (right across Lake Winnebago). It's also only about an hour away from Milwaukee, but I'm sure there's farms like this all around the state. The meat is better, cheaper, more nutrious and fresher than what you'll find at your local grocery store. The prices on other snacks they carry that I usually buy from amazon are priced within a dollar, and you're gonna find much more knowledgeable employees.

Zeezprah
Analyst
And1: 1,569

Post#435 » by Zeezprah » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:56 am

^^yea it's always good practice to buy local whenever possible (for more than one reason). farmer's markets produce is so much better too.
HurricaneKid
General Manager
And1: 5,034

Post#436 » by HurricaneKid » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:56 pm

Newz wrote:Yeah, my problem with paleo has always been that I try to get too intense with it too quick and then I just end up falling apart. Like you said in our society it is incredibly hard to actually follow the diet... the one with no fruit is going to be even more brutal.

The last time I did paleo it only lasted 2-3 weeks... but I saw a huge change in my body in a very short time. Next time I need to keep it up, but just add in a cheat meal every once and a while so I eventually don't fall apart and go back to bad eating habits again.

Paleo crosses over into Atkins/ketosis diets quite a bit. That makes them completely unique in that you CANNOT have a cheat meal because it will drop you out of ketosis for a few days. Which will completely destroy your results, especially if you have more than one cheat a week.
fishnc wrote:If I had a gun with two bullets and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and LeBron, I would shoot LeBron twice.
Nebula1
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#437 » by Nebula1 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:03 am

In the end, a balanced healthy diet is the best way to go imo. It's hard to sustain diets like paleo over a long period of time and if you get both your cardio and weights, balanced turns out just fine. That said, I do eat overweight my diet in protein but no longer do powders and rather get it in the foods.

I've also reduced my supplements across the board while trying to focus on natural, balanced, healthy diets while rotating my workout. I like this clean approach better than the powders and pills and messy blenders, etc.
Newz
Banned User

Post#438 » by Newz » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:30 am

HurricaneKid wrote:
Newz wrote:Yeah, my problem with paleo has always been that I try to get too intense with it too quick and then I just end up falling apart. Like you said in our society it is incredibly hard to actually follow the diet... the one with no fruit is going to be even more brutal.

The last time I did paleo it only lasted 2-3 weeks... but I saw a huge change in my body in a very short time. Next time I need to keep it up, but just add in a cheat meal every once and a while so I eventually don't fall apart and go back to bad eating habits again.

Paleo crosses over into Atkins/ketosis diets quite a bit. That makes them completely unique in that you CANNOT have a cheat meal because it will drop you out of ketosis for a few days. Which will completely destroy your results, especially if you have more than one cheat a week.

Something tells me if I eat healthy and eat the appropriate amount of calories that I should end up feeling good and being in good shape. I know that I likely can't eat 100% paleo... but if I keep my house stocked with good foods and only really 'cheat' when I go out, I should be fine.

Maybe I won't get 100% of the results, but I'll still be eating a very healthy diet. :D
KingWing
Junior
And1: 168

Post#439 » by KingWing » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:44 pm

That is basically what I do Newz. Strict diets like paleo and the ketosis ones can be become such a burden that they are difficult to maintain for most people.

I go by the following mantra: Don't eat sugary things, and don't eat processed foods.

Sugar is the major one. Sugar is highly addictive and makes you crave it. Removing it will reduce unnecessary snacking.
Newz
Banned User

Post#440 » by Newz » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:53 pm

KingWing wrote:That is basically what I do Newz. Strict diets like paleo and the ketosis ones can be become such a burden that they are difficult to maintain for most people.

I go by the following mantra: Don't eat sugary things, and don't eat processed foods.

Sugar is the major one. Sugar is highly addictive and makes you crave it. Removing it will reduce unnecessary snacking.

I have only been doing the no sugar thing for about three-four days now. (I already somehow lost about five pounds... which is pretty crazy... not just water weight either. :o ) But giving it up isn't easy.

I'm going to be working fruit back in eventually and a little 75%+ cocao as well. But I have been craving sugar after just about every meal. It's a good things I threw out anything sugar related in my apartment or I would have been screwed. :D

Return to Milwaukee Bucks