OT | Official Fitness & Health Thread

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,725

Re: OT | Official Fitness & Health Thread 

Post#301 » by emunney » Sun Jan 5, 2014 12:46 am

Nebula1 wrote:
emunney wrote:I know a number of us have had that, Neb, so feel free to sound off if you're concerned about something or whatever. I definitely had my moments when I thought I'd never get it back, but I did.

I appreciate that, Em. I had PT today and it was great to start the healing process. I have my leg in a cpm at the moment.

Good thing is by the time it's time to start surfing and playing ball outside, I'll be ready to go. I'm also taking this opportunity to rebuild my diet and workout routine.

How many weeks before you were confident playing full 5s again?

The mental part is by far the hardest. Before I was confident enough to run 5s? About 10 months. I also had pretty bad tendinitis. It was 2 years before I felt 100%, but then I felt better than I had in a decade. I did have a partial meniscectomy and will have arthritis down the road. Hasn't hit yet.

What did you go for on the graft?
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
Nebula1
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#302 » by Nebula1 » Sun Jan 5, 2014 8:52 am

I requested a kick ass cadaver but went with the same knee patella. The surgeon I went with does Houston Texans knees and did get a full meniscus repair in addition to the acl.

Sorry to hear about the arthritis.. But I thank both of you for your comments. I miss the game terribly and will get back on the floor but giving more and more thought about a permanent transition to the golf course and surf board.

I'm on crutches for 6 weeks and trying to take advantage of the time.. Been reading more and burying myself in market /company research while flirting with the idea of chasing the CFA. All the extra upper body strength training has me looking like Brandon Knight so that's a plus.

Bored but getting healed.

Thanks again fellas. These are perks of this board.
Jez2983
RealGM
And1: 7,952

Post#303 » by Jez2983 » Sun Jan 5, 2014 12:17 pm

Nebula1 wrote:
Sorry to hear about the arthritis.. But I thank both of you for your comments. I miss the game terribly and will get back on the floor but giving more and more thought about a permanent transition to the golf course and surf board.

Unfortunately the arthritis is pretty much a given once you've had a serious ligament injury :(

As a PT, I'd definitely stop any competitive sport once I did my knee. Mind you, surfing needs a fair bit of knee control, but it's not as bad as the jumping/landing, start/stop of balling.

Best of luck in your rehab. Weird to think that before too long they'll probably be regrowing cartilages and ACL's.
trwi7 wrote:Will be practicing my best Australian accent for tomorrow.

"Hey ya wankers. I graduated from Aranmore back in 2010 and lost me yearbook. Is there any way you didgeridoos can send anotha yearbook me way?"
Nebula1
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#304 » by Nebula1 » Sun Jan 5, 2014 3:16 pm

Jez2983 wrote:As a PT, I'd definitely stop any competitive sport once I did my knee. Mind you, surfing needs a fair bit of knee control, but it's not as bad as the jumping/landing, start/stop of balling.

What do you mean stop? As in once healed, don't play?

My PT has said his goal is to get me strong enough to return me to where I was, including playing ball again. He wants to work with me to improve form and technique to avoid reinjury. He's suggesting I take a jumping class.

My goal is to play again and leave the floor on my terms, not injury.
averageposter
Sixth Man
And1: 722

Post#305 » by averageposter » Sun Jan 5, 2014 4:06 pm

One thing is certain. O.J Mayo has not read this thread. Lots of good tips here OJ...just saying.
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM
And1: 1,417

Post#306 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Sun Jan 5, 2014 4:31 pm

Nebula1 wrote:
Jez2983 wrote:As a PT, I'd definitely stop any competitive sport once I did my knee. Mind you, surfing needs a fair bit of knee control, but it's not as bad as the jumping/landing, start/stop of balling.

My PT has said his goal is to get me strong enough to return me to where I was, including playing ball again. He wants to work with me to improve form and technique to avoid reinjury. He's suggesting I take a jumping class.

Since the doctor repaired your meniscus you'll have far less chance of arthritis. Just do the rehab like they tell you and you'll be fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
BucksRuleAll22 wrote:Calvin Johnson is horrible and not a top WR.
Jez2983
RealGM

Post#307 » by Jez2983 » Sun Jan 5, 2014 8:50 pm

Nebula1 wrote:

No, no, I mean starting and stopping type movements in basketball. I completely understand what you mean about finishing on your terms too. It's a matter if pride and determination IMO.

"Hey ya wankers. I graduated from Aranmore back in 2010 and lost me yearbook. Is there any way you didgeridoos can send anotha yearbook me way?"
Madtown
Sophomore
And1: 50

Post#308 » by Madtown » Sun Jan 5, 2014 8:56 pm

Saw someone post a link to nomnompaleo.com, but didn't say that they're paleo. Anywho, I went paleo in April and dropped a ton. I had 3 kids and gained the weight with my wife, but she lost it all and I didn't :) Just trying to be a good husband, ya know :)

People are skeptical of paleo, but I love it and I'm able to have chicken, steak, fish, etc. I don't feel like I'm starving or cheating myself. I cheated a bit over the holidays, but compared to what I would have done in previous years...

Anywho, for those that are interested the place where I learned what others are doing was at http://www.cavemanforums.com
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,669

Post#309 » by MikeIsGood » Mon Jan 6, 2014 4:46 am

I just started Insanity today. I'm already contemplating life and reality. Not sure I'll wake up tomorrow.

Note: I've never done anything other than run, really, which I stopped a little over a year ago for no real reason other than it fell out of habit. Today I used muscles I didn't know existed.
Jez2983
RealGM

Post#310 » by Jez2983 » Mon Jan 6, 2014 12:32 pm

PkrsBcksGphsMqt wrote:
Since the doctor repaired your meniscus you'll have far less chance of arthritis. Just do the rehab like they tell you and you'll be fine.

Sorry, I probably sounded like a bit of a dick saying that ligament injury = arthritis. Just trying to pass on anything useful.

Definitely most important part of rehab is the agility stuff. Work really hard on a lot of game simulated stuff. Like late-stage rehab for return to sport go from a jump straight into a side-lunge or something like that. Lots of skipping, jumping, hopping as you said.

People invariably do the weights really well and then drop off a bit with the agility. I guess it's hard to stay motivated at 4-5/12 post op, but that's the most important time to be cranking the return to sport type drills.

Good luck!

PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM

Post#311 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Mon Jan 6, 2014 2:37 pm

Jez2983 wrote:
PkrsBcksGphsMqt wrote:

Sorry, I probably sounded like a bit of a dick saying that ligament injury = arthritis. Just trying to pass on anything useful.

Definitely most important part of rehab is the agility stuff. Work really hard on a lot of game simulated stuff. Like late-stage rehab for return to sport go from a jump straight into a side-lunge or something like that. Lots of skipping, jumping, hopping as you said.

People invariably do the weights really well and then drop off a bit with the agility. I guess it's hard to stay motivated at 4-5/12 post op, but that's the most important time to be cranking the return to sport type drills.

Good luck!

Yeah I did my rehab through UW Health and they had me doing all sorts of crazy agility drills and I think that did help. They even incorporated a basketball and basketball-like movements because they knew I planned on playing again.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,017

Post#312 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:37 pm

Really enjoying Gabe Kapler's new blog. I've started some of his routines lately and they're kicking my ass.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#313 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Aug 4, 2014 4:28 pm

Need a really good brace for my repaired knee. Starting to play basketball again and learning racquetball. Any recommendations from people with repaired (post ACL/meniscus) knees?
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#314 » by Newz » Mon Aug 4, 2014 4:38 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:Need a really good brace for my repaired knee. Starting to play basketball again and learning racquetball. Any recommendations from people with repaired (post ACL/meniscus) knees?

You should get the one Charlie Bell had. Remember when he used to wear that knee brace that looked like it was bigger than his leg? :lol:
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,725

Post#315 » by emunney » Mon Aug 4, 2014 5:09 pm

Are you sure you need a brace?
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM

Post#316 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Mon Aug 4, 2014 5:13 pm

emunney wrote:Are you sure you need a brace?

I was king of thinking the same thing. There literally is no brace that can help prevent an ACL tear (per my doctor and numerous physical therapists-I asked everyone). Meniscus is a different story though. I had an ACL reconstruction surgery and also had my meniscus stitched up, but I never wore a brace after surgery/rehab. It just took a little time to regain my confidence in the knee.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#317 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Aug 4, 2014 8:04 pm

I honestly have no idea. If there isn't anything to prevent another tear, then no, I don't need anything.
-Kees-
Lead Assistant
And1: 52

Post#318 » by -Kees- » Thu Aug 7, 2014 4:23 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:I just started Insanity today. I'm already contemplating life and reality. Not sure I'll wake up tomorrow.

Note: I've never done anything other than run, really, which I stopped a little over a year ago for no real reason other than it fell out of habit. Today I used muscles I didn't know existed.

Started it yesterday, its a ton of fun but man I was so close to throwing up the first day. I need to eat more.

I'm a very slight guy (135 lbs, 6'0, 18 y/o) and I'm used to eating like 1500-1700 calories a day. During this workout I need to start eating in the 2800-3000 range haha. I used to be 5'5, 165 but it wasn't muscle at all, so I'm used to being on a diet of sorts. I do eat healthy though, I love fruits (raw, cooked and I love smoothies too) and grilled meats (chicken, pork, lean hamburgers), and i don't eat fried food or candy/chocolate/chips really anymore, so now I'm just trying to basically double what I have been eating to gain some muscle.

Loving the workout itself though. You can go as hard as you want, and he's pretty motivating. The 35-45 min is real nice too.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Post#319 » by LUKE23 » Thu Aug 7, 2014 4:43 pm

For those doing Insanity, is there any place to get it without paying the full price, if you know what I mean? :)
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#320 » by Newz » Thu Aug 7, 2014 5:25 pm

LUKE23 wrote:For those doing Insanity, is there any place to get it without paying the full price, if you know what I mean? :)

You have had knee problems before, haven't you?

I hated Insanity. I did it for about two weeks and my knees were destroyed afterwards. Ended up having to take a 2-4 week break because my knees felt unstable. Looked online after that and a ton of people were saying the same thing, that their knees were under too much pressure and were getting hurt. I know a couple of my friends who have done it that have developed knee problems as well.

Insanity could be a good thing to do once a week, just like plyometrics is awesome once a week for non-pro athletes. But any more than that and it's really going to do a number on a lot people's bodies, IMO.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks