Lebron James
22%

Total votes: 69

Wise1
RealGM
And1: 256

Re: OT | Lebron vs Jordan (poll) 

Post#61 » by Wise1 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:56 pm

Do you think Manu is better than Clyde AB?
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,659

Post#62 » by AussieBuck » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:58 pm

Wise1 wrote:Do you think Manu is better than Clyde AB?

I have no interest in following you down the rabbit hole.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
Wooderson
RealGM
And1: 5,243

Post#63 » by Wooderson » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:06 pm

There's really just no point in comparing the two unless you are only considering Jordans career up to age 28. Any other comparison is completely asinine. Even then though, Jordan's getting the nod. If LeBron had continued his dominant play through the Finals against the Mavs and came out with the victory / FMVP, I think it would be incredibly close.

Also, I think it's far crazier to think Durant is better than LeBron right now then it is to take LeBron over Jordan (up to age 28). It's pretty evident that non-basketball feelings about LeBron, as well as stylistic preference, infect people's ability to objectively compare the two.
Ayt
RealGM
And1: 13,712

Post#64 » by Ayt » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:39 am

Durant is a phenomenal player, but he's not better than LeBron on either end of the court and it really isn't close. Defensively, the gulf is so massive that it is laughable to compare them. LeBron's vision and playmaking also clearly sets him apart from Durant offensively.
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#65 » by REDDzone » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:01 am

paul wrote:Taking any current player over Lebron is completely insane IMO. Like not a discussion just toss your ass in a padded cell kind of insane, but that could just be me.

fasho.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
HurricaneKid
General Manager
And1: 5,034

Post#66 » by HurricaneKid » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:32 am

They play different positions in different ages. I hate the comparisons. If you are going to make them at least make them relevant. Ask if Kobe equalled MJ (clearly not). Ask about guys going into retirement how their careers stack up. Don't ask about guys who have 4 peak years left. If LBJ matches what he did last year with reg season MVP, FMVP, Gold Medal, 1st team all def, etc for the next 4 yrs then yes, absolutely. I mean MJ only had one title at 28. But to have so much left and be left with this question is frustrating.

I will say this: people say defense was so much more physical in MJs day. There hasn't ever been a player more equipped to play in such a game as LBJ. Also, the rules for defenses were absurd. Utah was able to play 2v2 for 10 years. The net result is that those two compiled enormous stats. Defenses are now capable of forcing "other guys" to beat them. Don't believe me? In MJs best season (IMO) 1990-1991, there were only 27 teams. Yet there were 10 players that avg 25+ppg and another 17 players that were 20+. So fewer teams, fewer points, but 27 guys that scored 20+. This year there are 11 players over 19ppg. So all the high volume guys got theirs. Can you imagine trying to defend LBJ without being able to bring help, or at least being able to attempt disguising where the help could come from? Because that is essentially how teams were forced to deal with MJ. If you had two offensive players strongside you had to have two defenders. You couldn't bring a third guy without losing your ability to fall back. Now teams are able to do so much more to prevent one or two guys from wreaking such havoc.
fishnc wrote:If I had a gun with two bullets and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and LeBron, I would shoot LeBron twice.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#67 » by El Duderino » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:52 am

DrugBust wrote:Christ, I should have known this was about Kobe.

Kobe hasn't been in LeBron's league since LeBron's 2nd year in the league. He might be the most overrated basketball player in the history of the NBA. The fact that he's even in the discussion with Jordan is proof that ESPN is a joke.

Yea, i wonder what exactly is Jordan's agenda by saying something as ridiculous as Kobe being better than LeBron?

Does Jordan feel some fear that James will go on a run winning titles?
HurricaneKid
General Manager

Post#68 » by HurricaneKid » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:35 pm

I have worshipped at the alter of MJ for most of my life. But the guy is a dick and everything that he has said has been grotesquely self serving and dumb for a while. I don't grasp how he could possibly feel slighted as everyone reveres him. Yet he continues to take shots at everyone except for Kobe who is so clearly a lesser version of him. Besides, he has been laughably impotent in talent evaluation.
fishnc wrote:If I had a gun with two bullets and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and LeBron, I would shoot LeBron twice.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,359

Post#69 » by emunney » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:53 pm

Didn't LeBron once say his favorite player as a kid was Penny Hardaway? I bet that rubbed Jordan the wrong way if he heard it.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#70 » by Newz » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:19 pm

emunney wrote:Didn't LeBron once say his favorite player as a kid was Penny Hardaway? I bet that rubbed Jordan the wrong way if he heard it.

Penny Hardaway was everyone's favorite player as a kid though.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,283

Post#71 » by trwi7 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:23 pm

Newz wrote:
emunney wrote:Didn't LeBron once say his favorite player as a kid was Penny Hardaway? I bet that rubbed Jordan the wrong way if he heard it.

Penny Hardaway was everyone's favorite player as a kid though.

Except jerrod. He was somehow a Corey Brewer fan 15 years ago.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
Newz
Banned User

Post#72 » by Newz » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:23 pm

I will add this too...

I think Durant is closing the gap on LeBron, but LeBron is still a superior player at this point. I think LeBron and Jordan are pretty close with Jordan having a slight edge on him.

I don't really think Kobe at any point in his career is close to any of those guys though. He's easily the fourth best player out of those guys.
HurricaneKid
General Manager

Post#73 » by HurricaneKid » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:36 pm

Anyone that saw the game last night saw the chasm between LBJ and KD. KD's statline was fraudulent. He scored 14 pts in the first 4 minutes of the 4th before LeBron came in. He made 15 FTs, half of which were on dubious calls. He basically didn't make a basket until the game was over and yet he somehow ended with 40. Meanwhile, LeBron was getting his whole team involved and dominating play. He took 5 miserable, late in the shot clock, heaves. He made 1. That accounts for half his misses. His 39/12/7 was a marvel and the movement that Mia played with was breathtaking. Maybe its just a bad matchup for OKC, but LeBron's game is so much more rounded than Durant's it was glaring to watch the contrast.
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,968

Post#74 » by Badgerlander » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:33 pm

Marques Johnson poster on the wall in MJ's dorm room
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
Ayt
RealGM

Post#75 » by Ayt » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:51 pm

Newz wrote:I will add this too...

I think Durant is closing the gap on LeBron, but LeBron is still a superior player at this point. I think LeBron and Jordan are pretty close with Jordan having a slight edge on him.

I don't really think Kobe at any point in his career is close to any of those guys though. He's easily the fourth best player out of those guys.

He still isn't anywhere close to being a guy that you can run your offense through on a play by play basis and have him be both the scorer and facilitator. He's better at it this year, but if you think about all the truly elite players, you could run your offense through them play after play after play. LeBron is obviously an exceptional example of that. Even with a player as good as Wade and with Bosh, it still doesn't make sense to run the offense through someone other than LeBron on nearly every possession.

Durant is without question a beast on offense, but I think it is obvious that you can have a much bigger impact on an offense when you are both the primary scorer and facilitator. Durant has improved, but he's never shown the instincts or the natural vision to be a primary playmaker. He could certainly get to the point that he can facilitate more and more, but I can't ever imagine him being the kind of guy you marvel at while he orchestrates an offense like a LeBron.

Defensively they aren't in the same stratosphere.

This reads like I'm ripping Durant in a way, but that is more of a testament to how incredible LeBron is as a player.
Newz
Banned User

Post#76 » by Newz » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:10 pm

Like I said... Durant is closing the gap, but LeBron is still a superior player.
emunney
RealGM

Post#77 » by emunney » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:11 pm

I don't even think Durant's closing the gap.
Wooderson
RealGM
And1: 5,243

Post#78 » by Wooderson » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:27 pm

emunney wrote:I don't even think Durant's closing the gap.

This.

Durant's improved this year, but so has LeBron. If LBJ continues shooting 3's at a 40% rate or better, it's hard to see Durant closing the gap in the next foreseeable future.
Ayt
RealGM

Post#79 » by Ayt » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:48 pm

emunney wrote:I don't even think Durant's closing the gap.

Yep. Durant has expanded his game a bit, but the change isn't dramatic. He's only increased his responsibilities offensively minimally. He also still has a huge jump he needs to take forward defensively. He got killed by LeBron when he was actually on him this past game, which was only a handful of times.

Meanwhile, LeBron is perfecting his offensive game as the scorer and facilitator while still being the best non-big defender in the league by a rather large margin. With Dwight's dropoff this year, LeBron could actually come close to winning the DPOY. His role defensively on that Miami team is gigantic. They can only go with the lineups that they do because LeBron is such an amazing team defender. Plus, he's an elite man to man defender as well.

In other words, look at what Miami asks of LeBron on both ends of the court compared to what OKC asks of Durant. LeBron is asked to do so much more.
emunney
RealGM

Post#80 » by emunney » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:00 pm

I don't want to put down Durant, he's great without question, but is he even the 2nd best player in the league right now? Paul's got a pretty strong argument too.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks