ImageImage

The Josh Smith eventually to the Bucks thread (maybe)

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,061

Re: Gery: Bucks in on Josh Smith sweepstakes 

Post#41 » by Thunder Muscle » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:22 pm

Maybe Stackhouse showed him all of the good Milwaukee eateries back in 2010 like he said was going to. :)

I'm not a huge fan of Josh Smith, think he's a peabrain, but is talented. I just don't like it from alot of standpoints. He isn't going to re-sign here, is on record for not liking Milwaukee, will he just be a chucker here, etc. I think the cons outweigh the pros.
Bfinkish
Sixth Man
And1: 126

Post#42 » by Bfinkish » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:25 pm

tbh i just see this turning into a stephen jackson situation.
God is good.
jr lucosa
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,151

Post#43 » by jr lucosa » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:45 pm

emunney has a good point, does anyone have any clue what the Hawks would be seeking in return? Draft picks, young players, win now players?
mlloyd10
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#44 » by mlloyd10 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:47 pm

jr lucosa wrote:emunney has a good point, does anyone have any clue what the Hawks would be seeking in return? Draft picks, young players, win now players?

You have to think Jennings
WiscoKing13
RealGM
And1: 1,274

Post#45 » by WiscoKing13 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:48 pm

jr lucosa wrote:emunney has a good point, does anyone have any clue what the Hawks would be seeking in return? Draft picks, young players, win now players?

draft picks, young players. Looks like they want to rebuild and they want cap space if howard/paul want to team up in ATL
DanoMac wrote:
bullox wrote:That phone number was an asset to you. You had a direct line to the gm. You've squandered it.

I squandered an asset? Then Hammond taught me well.
GHOSTofSIKMA
RealGM
And1: 8,006

Post#46 » by GHOSTofSIKMA » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:51 pm

smith will sign with whoever offers the most money. if we offer it hes ours. if somebody else offers it then we do a s/t. if we get smith with the intention of maxing him out in the offseason then its a good move. im not sure im a big fan of josh smith at the max tho. im not sure how i feel about that good or bad.
raws
Pro Prospect
And1: 287

Post#47 » by raws » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:53 pm

If the option is BJ3 at near max or Josh Smith at max, I'll take Josh Smith.

Whether he likes Milwaukee or not is irrelevant, IMO. The new CBA makes the max so much more for the team who currently has him that it's a moot point. He'd resign here if offered. I don't really like Josh Smith, to be honest. He has the same infatuation as Monta with that elbow jumper that he can't make.
raws
Pro Prospect

Post#48 » by raws » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:55 pm

Who says no:

Teague / Smith for BJ3 / Ersan / Udoh
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Post#49 » by LUKE23 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:58 pm

I don't see Smith signing here, and even if he did it would be at an amount I sure as hell wouldn't want to pay. The "thrill" of a playoff push doesn't excite me whatsoever either, as Smith is such a marginal overall upgrade from Ersan over a 30 game stretch, that he surely doesn't make a difference in our playoff fate. So basically, I'm not giving any assets up for Josh. Honestly one of the last moves we should be looking to make.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#50 » by LUKE23 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:59 pm

raws wrote:Who says no:

Me.
drew881
RealGM
And1: 4,977

Post#51 » by drew881 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:59 pm

I think the reactions here are pretty funny. So many of you want full on rebuilds and have stated they would be willing to give up Jennings for nothing, or simply want to dump the contracts of role players who help us win games, that when this comes along (a BIG potential rebuild opportunity), you dismiss it.

Josh Smith could be a great ticket that could wipe out Monta, Jennings, and Ersan off the books. Smith will play here for half a season, and maybe take Monta with him wherever he goes. It would leave us with nothing, and next year we would tank really hard. That is what everyone wants, right?

On the other hand, maybe he does re-sign. Building around Sanders and Smith would be very interesting and we could still tank with those two provided we clear out other players in Luc, Dunleavy, Beno, etc.

Everyone is against this trade because Josh Smith "doesn't like Milwaukee." The harsh reality: No NBA player likes Milwaukee. Almost no one lives here in the offseason, and it has been very rare for a player to live here after his time is up. Bucks fans need to realize this and not let it cloud their judgement with the players we pick up. No one wants to re-sign here unless we are winning or can provide a Redd/Simmons overpay. I could care less what they say, especially given the context of a playoff series (when Josh Smith said what he said).
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#52 » by LUKE23 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:02 pm

drew881 wrote:

Josh Smith could be a great ticket that could wipe out Monta, Jennings, and Ersan off the books. Smith will play here for half a season, and maybe take Monta with him wherever he goes. It would leave us with nothing, and next year we would tank really hard. That is what everyone wants, right?

How does it wipe Jennings and Ellis off the books when Ellis will likely opt out and Jennings is going to free agency?

And I don't think that is what everyone wants. People want long-term assets for our assets, if we can get them, before we lose our assets for nothing.
CanadaBucks
Assistant Coach
And1: 314

Post#53 » by CanadaBucks » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:04 pm

I don't really like Josh Smith but I would heartily endorse a move like this as it's more than just "shuffling the cards" Take a chance......What's the worst thing that can happen, we lose a lot of games next year?
CanadaBucks
Assistant Coach
And1: 314

Post#54 » by CanadaBucks » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:07 pm

Not me
no3dg3
Freshman
And1: 6

Post#55 » by no3dg3 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:08 pm

Under the right circumstances I think this could be a great move. We would be a defensive nightmare to other teams! If we had guards that could do their job effectively (Jennings) and shoot efficiently (Ellis) it would be near perfect. Smith is the physical type of player we could use.
no3dg3
Freshman
And1: 6

Post#56 » by no3dg3 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:11 pm

It's like you read my mind :lol:
raws
Pro Prospect

Post#57 » by raws » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:12 pm

no3dg3 wrote: If we had guards that could do their job effectively (Jennings) and shoot efficiently (Ellis) it would be near perfect.

If I had a million bucks, I would be a millionaire.
WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,144

Post#58 » by WRau1 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:15 pm

Teague/Ellis/Moute/Smith/Sanders. That's like a way poopier version of Iverson's Sixers. At least we'd be athletic?
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
drew881
RealGM
And1: 4,977

Post#59 » by drew881 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:19 pm

LUKE23 wrote:How does it wipe Jennings and Ellis off the books when Ellis will likely opt out and Jennings is going to free agency?

And I don't think that is what everyone wants. People want long-term assets for our assets, if we can get them, before we lose our assets for nothing.

It wipes it out because if our team goes into free agency with both players (Jennings and Monta), they are likely to retain one at a price we all really hate. If we go into FA with Smith and Monta, I could easily see us losing both, which I won't be too bummed about. Retain just Smith at a high price, which will be tough, and I won't be too upset. Not as much as us extending Monta or Jennings at a bad price.

I would love to get some first round picks for both players and call it a day, but I don't think it will happen. This is a realistic way I could see a rebuild being forced on us.
RandyBreuer
Sixth Man
And1: 174
Location: hoistin' 3s like Delfino, pimpin' 4 recruits like Pitino

Post#60 » by RandyBreuer » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:19 pm

I can certainly see why Kohl would sign off on a Smith/Teague for BJ/Ersan deal. It will hold onto the 8 seed and fill the arena for those 2 games when they get swept by the Heat. My question is though: How much trade value will he have when resigned to a max contract? He likely signs it then whines to be traded. Probably no worse than what could be had in free agency anyway.
Drugbust wrote
"Sorry if my opinion offended your delicate sensibilities"

In Horst we trust.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks