ImageImage

OT: Rice Lake, WI

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

NathanDonald13
Ballboy
And1: 0

Re: OT: Rice Lake, WI 

Post#41 » by NathanDonald13 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:20 pm

My Grandparents live in nearby Ladysmith, and we're always driving into Eau Claire and the Twin Cities. I love both of those citie, would take them anyday over Milwaukee. Congrats and enjoy the new city.
sneakerdust
Banned User
And1: 101

Post#42 » by sneakerdust » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:30 pm

Rumor has it JSmoove is looking for a hunting/fishing spread near Rice Lake.

Lets get this b**** to 50 pages.
jute2003
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,325

Post#43 » by jute2003 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:27 pm

Hey HR,

Sorry to bring your thread back from the dead but I saw it a few days ago and remembered wanting to comment at the time.

First of all congratulations on the job offer. That's always a big deal

Secondly, I grew up in Barron which is very close to Rice Lake. It's not a bad place. Most of my family still lives up there. I'm sure there will be an adjustment period but that's true whenever there's a major move. Like others have said Eau Claire and the Twin Cities are both very close and easily accessible if there happens to be a big city need.

For the most part you'll be able to find just about everything you need in Rice Lake and the surrounding communities though. They are getting more options for shopping with a lot of the big box stores moving into town and they have a pretty decent downtown area for the size of the city. There's a decent sized movie theater if you want to catch a movie and there's some ok restaurants. My favorites are Dana's right on main street and Adventures which is by Shopko if my memory is accurate(sketchy at times). Also, Bona Casa is a short drive down 48 towards cumberland. OF course it wouldn't be Wisconsin if there weren't supperclubs scattered about out in the country. The liquor store in the grocery store has a massive beer selection and a Pick 6 deal where you can mix and match. Might be my favorite part of the town.

Chetek, Birchwood, Weyerhauser, and even Rice Lake itself rely pretty heavily on tourism.

The Winter's aren't that much worse than Madison. A little colder, less ice, slightly more snow. Overall the weather shouldn't really bother much.

The town itself is a bit hick. Compared to some of the other counties in northern wisconsin it's damn near Madison though. I think it has a little higher population density and a little stronger economy.

Finally, be prepared to learn to hate mudducks. If you have any other question feel free to ask.
only a fan, only an opinion
Sherman Douglas
Veteran
And1: 1,467

Post#44 » by Sherman Douglas » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:01 pm

DrugBust wrote: Applebees is packed to capacity because it's almost all the town has.

You guys. omg. DrugBust is Ryan Longwell.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,969

Post#45 » by humanrefutation » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:59 pm

jute2003 wrote:Hey HR,

Sorry to bring your thread back from the dead but I saw it a few days ago and remembered wanting to comment at the time.

First of all congratulations on the job offer. That's always a big deal

Secondly, I grew up in Barron which is very close to Rice Lake. It's not a bad place. Most of my family still lives up there. I'm sure there will be an adjustment period but that's true whenever there's a major move. Like others have said Eau Claire and the Twin Cities are both very close and easily accessible if there happens to be a big city need.

For the most part you'll be able to find just about everything you need in Rice Lake and the surrounding communities though. They are getting more options for shopping with a lot of the big box stores moving into town and they have a pretty decent downtown area for the size of the city. There's a decent sized movie theater if you want to catch a movie and there's some ok restaurants. My favorites are Dana's right on main street and Adventures which is by Shopko if my memory is accurate(sketchy at times). Also, Bona Casa is a short drive down 48 towards cumberland. OF course it wouldn't be Wisconsin if there weren't supperclubs scattered about out in the country. The liquor store in the grocery store has a massive beer selection and a Pick 6 deal where you can mix and match. Might be my favorite part of the town.

Chetek, Birchwood, Weyerhauser, and even Rice Lake itself rely pretty heavily on tourism.

The Winter's aren't that much worse than Madison. A little colder, less ice, slightly more snow. Overall the weather shouldn't really bother much.

The town itself is a bit hick. Compared to some of the other counties in northern wisconsin it's damn near Madison though. I think it has a little higher population density and a little stronger economy.

Finally, be prepared to learn to hate mudducks. If you have any other question feel free to ask.

Lots of great information here. Thanks!

Return to Milwaukee Bucks