Redick, Ayon & Smith to the Bucks for Harris, Lamb and Udrih

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

unklchuk
Head Coach
And1: 94

Re: Redick, Ayon & Smith to the Bucks for Harris, Lamb and U 

Post#811 » by unklchuk » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:08 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
showtimesam wrote:I'm still at a loss for how Hammond managed to give up Tobias in this deal.

He wanted to keep the 2013 first round pick.

I'm not sure though where our small forward comes from for 2013-14.

I subscribe to the theory that Chancellor Kohl forced the trade. After that, as PP says, it probably came to a choice between Harris and the #1 pick. If Hammond made that choice, he must have moderate expectations for Harris. If Kohl made that choice, I suppose the pick is cheaper for longer.
AFAIK, IDKM
Ill-yasova
RealGM
And1: 2,552

Post#812 » by Ill-yasova » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:10 pm

Nebula1 wrote:Look, the Bucks are going for the Playoffs.. might as well sit back and support it since ain't nothing changing until the summer. Here's hoping they get the 7 or better and steal a first round series. I definitely think Redick helps them pull that off.

Hate giving up Harris, but let's roll.

This response could have literally been copied and pasted from last year's Monta trade thread. People complained about that trade, others said "Hey well at least we're going to the playoffs, we may as well support the team." A year later we're in the same situation and we're supposed to suck it up and cheer for carbon copy of last year? I admire your optimism Nebs, but I just can't get with that line of thinking.

There are going to be a portion of posters who will complain about the personnel decisions made over the last few years, and with good reason. There may be people on here who evenly openly root for the team to lose to prove their point. Most of the posters doing that have spent decades of their lives dedicating their time and money to a team who is letting them down with every available opportunity that presents itself. I can't just sit back and accept the consequences of these decisions and even continue to encourage the team's misguided direction for the future. The Bucks are losing more and more fans by the season. After a sweep at the hands of Miami or even another, very realistic, playoff whiff the result will only lead to more indifference with the people of Wisconsin.

I think the people who are speaking out are doing the biggest favor to the organization. It's not like these decisions are a recent development, they are the continuation of a trend that started after the break-up of the Big Three. This is death by a thousand cuts over the course of years right now, it's slowly but consistently whittling the fan base down until you look around and we no longer have an NBA team in Milwaukee.

Lather, Rinse, Repeat.
bucksbrewers3
Starter
And1: 292

Post#813 » by bucksbrewers3 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:17 pm

[quote=Lather, Rinse, Repeat.[/quote]

should we just complain 24/7 like the rest of you? its done so much good in the past since the FO looks at these and takes your thoughts seriously.

I'm not thrilled with the 8th seed every year none of us are but make the most of it while kohl is here because I can assure you its not going to change. When we get a new owner (hopefully it stays here) then its time to put in a new idea or two of what you want changed because it might just happen. Until then enough of the crying from all of you.
showtimesam
Veteran
And1: 32

Post#814 » by showtimesam » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:17 pm

Its just so funny how this team is "going for the playoffs" by adding what Hammond envisions as our third guard after the Swag twins get their 35 plus minutes a night.

Meanwhile he didn't address our gaping hole at starting Small Forward or the fact that our offense has no post up presence what so ever.
bucksbrewers3
Starter

Post#815 » by bucksbrewers3 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:19 pm

showtimesam wrote:Its just so funny how this team is "going for the playoffs" by adding what Hammond envisions as our third guard after the Swag twins get their 35 plus minutes a night.

Meanwhile he didn't address our gaping hole at starting Small Forward or the fact that our offense has no post up presence what so ever.

this off season will be fun...No PG, no SG, no SF, no coach
showtimesam
Veteran

Post#816 » by showtimesam » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:20 pm

bucksbrewers3 wrote:
showtimesam wrote:Its just so funny how this team is "going for the playoffs" by adding what Hammond envisions as our third guard after the Swag twins get their 35 plus minutes a night.

At least we have the architect of this team locked up for 3 more years!
bucksbrewers3
Starter

Post#817 » by bucksbrewers3 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:22 pm

showtimesam wrote:
bucksbrewers3 wrote:

At least we have the architect of this team locked up for 3 more years!

I have faith he will draft fine. We will have a lot of money to work with. Is that necessarily a good thing with Hammond? hes shown with cap room its not but I have faith that he learned from his mistakes last time
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,976

Post#818 » by Badgerlander » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:23 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
showtimesam wrote:I'm still at a loss for how Hammond managed to give up Tobias in this deal.

He wanted to keep the 2013 first round pick.

I'm not sure though where our small forward comes from for 2013-14.

He kept the pick and at the same time created a need, now he doesn't have to worry about who is the BPA and can focus in on SF.

Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
VooDoo7
RealGM
And1: 20,837

Post#819 » by VooDoo7 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:26 pm

bucksbrewers3 wrote:
VooDoo7 wrote:
Wise1 wrote:It'll all be on Brandon. If he goes on a mega-tear in the playoffs...

The downside of this...some team offers him the max and we match.

I love when people say this. Who cares how much he gets, its not your money. If he gets max so be it.

This is so silly it doesn't even deserve a response. Jesus. :lol:
showtimesam
Veteran

Post#820 » by showtimesam » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:28 pm

bucksbrewers3 wrote:

I have faith he will draft fine. We will have a lot of money to work with. Is that necessarily a good thing with Hammond? hes shown with cap room its not but I have faith that he learned from his mistakes last time

How do you have faith Hammond will do anything fine?
*Drafted Joe Alexander over Brooke Lopez
*Traded back from having the chance to draft Klay Thompson only to draft Tobias who he gave up on prematurely
*You could have picked a name out of a hat in the Jennings draft and either taken him or someone better (lawson or holiday)
*Henson looks good now but the Jury is still out (plus Hammond has a penchant for giving up on his draft picks prematurely)

Its a myth that Hammond is good in the Draft. He won big on Sanders and had a solid 2nd round selection in Moute. Thats not very good for a guy who has been here for over 4 years.
VooDoo7
RealGM

Post#821 » by VooDoo7 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:28 pm

And even if we somehow get the 6th-7th seed and somehow advance to the 2nd round, then guess what? Boylan will be extended.

It's always a lose-lose situation with these clowns (Hammond/Kohl) running the show.
showtimesam
Veteran

Post#822 » by showtimesam » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:29 pm

[/quote]
He kept the pick and at the same time created a need, now he doesn't have to worry about who is the BPA and can focus in on SF.

[/quote]

Classic hammond
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 25,994

Post#823 » by paulpressey25 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:30 pm

DocHoliday wrote:

So what you are saying is that we can now draft a project SF like Tobias with the 14-16th pick?

Sounds good. You need a new avatar now BTW.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
Nebula1
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#824 » by Nebula1 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:04 pm

Redick is good and I suspect people will be backing him soon enough. I want to see the Bucks make some noise.
step3profit
Analyst
And1: 819

Post#825 » by step3profit » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:33 pm

Ill-yasova wrote:
Nebula1 wrote:Look, the Bucks are going for the Playoffs.. might as well sit back and support it since ain't nothing changing until the summer. Here's hoping they get the 7 or better and steal a first round series. I definitely think Redick helps them pull that off.

Hate giving up Harris, but let's roll.

This response could have literally been copied and pasted from last year's Monta trade thread. People complained about that trade, others said "Hey well at least we're going to the playoffs, we may as well support the team." A year later we're in the same situation and we're supposed to suck it up and cheer for carbon copy of last year? I admire your optimism Nebs, but I just can't get with that line of thinking.

Let's take a moment to appreciate that there is a difference between getting Monta vs. getting Redick, and there is a difference between giving Tobias and giving Bogut. To say these trades are anything close to a carbon copy is doing a disservice to both Redick and Bogut.

Tobias might become a very good player, and I hope he does, and I'm sad it won't be here. But let's not lump in Monta for Bogut with Redick for Harris. Jesus.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,606

Post#826 » by emunney » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:00 pm

I think what it boils down to is that because of Tobias' age it's easier to imagine him becoming Bernard King than it is to imagine Redick becoming SG version of Steve Nash. What we need to remember is that neither of those things is ever going to happen. They are only to be imagined.

Meanwhile we could draft Otto Porter, Poythress or Saric and any one of those guys could very well be better than Tobias.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,238

Post#827 » by LUKE23 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:04 pm

We can debate Harris and that's fine, but to me, how he's viewed shouldn't matter a ton. He's a young unknown that has shown something. He shouldn't be moved to land a UFA who can be signed in the offseason anyway, and who doesn't move us to another tier of team in the interim. The fact that people think a bench SG is going to largely change our fortunes these last 29 games is crazy to me.
VooDoo7
RealGM

Post#828 » by VooDoo7 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:09 pm

Nebula1 wrote:Redick is good and I suspect people will be backing him soon enough. I want to see the Bucks make some noise.

I don't think many are disputing that. It's the surrounding circumstances that people have an issue with. How is this hard for some to grasp?

I like JJ a lot, but not on this team. Not now.

He would've been a great pickup/rental for a team who has a chance to contend/make noise this season.
jr lucosa
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,151

Post#829 » by jr lucosa » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:16 pm

LUKE23 wrote:We can debate Harris and that's fine, but to me, how he's viewed shouldn't matter a ton. He's a young unknown that has shown something. He shouldn't be moved to land a UFA who can be signed in the offseason anyway, and who doesn't move us to another tier of team in the interim. The fact that people think a bench SG is going to largely change our fortunes these last 29 games is crazy to me.

I agree with your main point that young talent shouldn't be given up for older UFA's, but I think how Harris is viewed matters a ton. We don't know exactly what kind of value he had, at best probably that of a mid-late 1st, but as every year passes, unless he does improve, he just becomes less young and the "prospect" label starts to slip until eventually he is a 24-25 year old bad player.

I really believe in Tobias, so I don't see that being the case, but it definitely could end up being so. Also Redick is more than just "bench SG", he's easily top 10. That's like the argument in the off-season when some people didn't want to trade the farm for a "bench SG" in Harden. Redick is no Harden not even close, but whether he has been starting or coming off the bench doesn't matter when you're ranking positions. "Bench SG" makes it sound like we just traded for Fransisco Garcia or Daequan Cook.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,238

Post#830 » by LUKE23 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:19 pm

To me the debate is Udrih vs. Redick, and if that upgrade for 29 games is worth Harris. I'd argue hell no it is not.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks