ImageImage

What do you want to do this off-season?

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,674

Re: What do you want to do this off-season? 

Post#121 » by AussieBuck » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:32 am

Baddy Chuck wrote:
DanoMac wrote:Can we do a sign and trade with Monta?

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/897 ... nge-part-2

Lowe (2:57 p.m.): Two Josh quibbles, though …

1. I'm surprised the Bucks were so interested in this move with both SANDERS! and Ersan Ilyasova onboard. I heard from multiple people they sniffed around a Thad Young/Monta Ellis swap, but might have gotten cold feet — presumably because of positional overcrowding issues.

Man, I would've loved Thad. He can play SF too, especially with Ersan at the four.

Thad's good, Milsap's better. I think he's as good at SF and better at PF.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
BigDoggyStyle
Senior
And1: 49

Post#122 » by BigDoggyStyle » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:34 am

1. I'm surprised the Bucks were so interested in this move with both SANDERS! and Ersan Ilyasova onboard. I heard from multiple people they sniffed around a Thad Young/Monta Ellis swap, but might have gotten cold feet — presumably because of positional overcrowding issues.

Crap, this would've been awesome. Now I'm even more disappointed we didn't trade Ellis, if that's even possible.
eagle13
Head Coach
And1: 107

Post#123 » by eagle13 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:13 am

I'd also like to know-
if Ellis opts OUT can we do S&T

if he opts IN can we trade him like any other expiring?

GAD? Anyone?
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,674

Post#124 » by AussieBuck » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:04 am

eagle13 wrote:

I'd also like to know-

GAD? Anyone?

Dwight Howard signed a one year extension then got traded. Same same.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
KG_Wolves
Starter
And1: 530

Post#125 » by KG_Wolves » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:06 am

Let Jennings walk
Sign JJ Redick
Convince Ellis to walk
Sign Milsap
Sign Tyreke Evans
Amnesty Ducktail

Roll with;

Tyreke
Redick
Illyasova
Milsap
Sanders
mlloyd10
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#126 » by mlloyd10 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:58 pm

Assuming the Mavs miss the playoffs, does anybody know if we could do a sign-n-trade with DAL for their 1st pick?
A Diddy2231
Analyst
And1: 106

Post#127 » by A Diddy2231 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:07 pm

Ily can not play SF. He can barely stay laterally with some of the PF in the league
Johnny wrote:You betrayed me! You're not good. You, you're just a chicken. Chip-chip-chip-chip-cheep-cheep.
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#128 » by Badgerlander » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:31 pm

Sign and trade Jennings to Dallas for their 1st.

Draft Burke+Porter/Poythress/Oladipo

Resign Redick+Dunleavy

Sign Jarret Jack+Corey Brewer

Amnesty Gooden and sign Splitter or failing that go after Earl Clark

let Ellis walk

Extend Larry
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
Badgerlander
RealGM

Post#129 » by Badgerlander » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:34 pm

Oh and sign Hollins or Brian Shaw or Kelvin or Joerger in that order

Spoiler:

paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 25,840

Post#130 » by paulpressey25 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:39 pm

AussieBuck wrote:
eagle13 wrote:

I'd also like to know-

GAD? Anyone?

Dwight Howard signed a one year extension then got traded. Same same.

Small technical correction. Dwight did not sign a one-year extension and then get traded as those are not allowed. What he did was agree to waive his early termination option that he had last summer (July 2012). He did that in March 2012.

In the case of Monta, he has to notify the Bucks by June 30, 2013 that he wants to "opt-out" of his current contract using his early termination option. If he does NOT do that, he then is under contract with us for another season and he can be traded by us.

If he elects to opt out, he then becomes an unrestricted free agent on July 1st, free to sign anywhere. However, we still retain his "Bird Rights" and thus could sign and trade him to another team. However it is important to note that:

a) Any S&T contracts must be for at least three years with year one fully guaranteed

b) WIth the new luxury tax rules taking effect, teams that are more than $4mm over the luxury tax or use the mini-MLE can't accept a player in a S&T. So we can't S&T him to the Lakers for example unless they reduce their salaries considerably.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
ConoverBucks
Senior
And1: 39

Post#131 » by ConoverBucks » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:07 pm

mlloyd10 wrote:Assuming the Mavs miss the playoffs, does anybody know if we could do a sign-n-trade with DAL for their 1st pick?

Not unless we send our 2014 pick to them because they could be without a pick in consecutive years and that is not allowed. They traded their 2013 first round to the Rockets which is top 20 protected until 2017. Or we could just swap picks with them this year, provided that we finish higher than them.
Frank Nova
Head Coach
And1: 2,519

Post#132 » by Frank Nova » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:32 pm

DocHoliday wrote:

Is this in any sort of order? Because ironically I would put these 4 in complete reverse order. Oladipo, Poythress, Burke, Otto Porter.
RIP Kobe Forever. GOAT 8-24. Long Live Giannis
tranjSAIC
Banned User
And1: 527

Post#133 » by tranjSAIC » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:33 pm

InsideOut wrote:Pick a direction.

Do whatever you want but STOP making moves that lead to an 8th seed year after year after year after... Blow it up and start over or trade it all for win now moves that get you a 4th seed in the crappy east. Enough of watching the good teams win and the bad teams draft future stars while we do neither and stay stuck.
I totally agree with this, I hate when people make the argument you don't win thru the draft. When your a small market team, your best chance is too do well in the draft. You NEED superstars to compete for championships.
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,834

Post#134 » by coolhandluke121 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:11 pm

Almost-A-Yooper wrote:
mlloyd10 wrote:Assuming the Mavs miss the playoffs, does anybody know if we could do a sign-n-trade with DAL for their 1st pick?

Not unless we send our 2014 pick to them because they could be without a pick in consecutive years and that is not allowed. They traded their 2013 first round to the Rockets which is top 20 protected until 2017. Or we could just swap picks with them this year, provided that we finish higher than them.

This is the most misunderstood rule in the CBA and has been for years. You can be without a first-round pick for two consecutive years. Heck, you can do it for ten. What you can't do is commit to trading two consecutive future first-round picks. But you can agree to trade it and then do the deal after drafting a player on behalf of the team you struck a deal with. It's not considered a "future" first-rounder at that point; technically, it's considered the same as trading a player. Furthermore, even if you traded your last 10 first-rounders on draft day, you can still trade your next one.

So Dallas couldn't have traded us their pick at the trade deadline because it could have resulted in trading two consecutive future first-rounders. But they certainly can trade it to us for Jennings after the draft. Not sure if they can trade it on draft day though, because I don't think free agency will have begun yet. So the need to sign Jennings will be the issue at that point.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,431

Post#135 » by emunney » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:19 pm

coolhandluke121 wrote:
Almost-A-Yooper wrote:

This is the most misunderstood rule in the CBA and has been for years. You can be without a first-round pick for two consecutive years. Heck, you can do it for ten. What you can't do is commit to trading two consecutive future first-round picks. But you can agree to trade it and then do the deal after drafting a player on behalf of the team you struck a deal with. It's not considered a "future" first-rounder at that point; technically, it's considered the same as trading a player. Furthermore, even if you traded your last 10 first-rounders on draft day, you can still trade your next one.

So Dallas couldn't have traded us their pick at the trade deadline because it could have resulted in trading two consecutive future first-rounders. But they certainly can trade it to us for Jennings after the draft. Not sure if they can trade it on draft day though, because I don't think free agency will have begun yet. So the need to sign Jennings will be the issue at that point.

Yep, you got it all right. I do think the logistics of picking a player for another team well before FA starts are pretty dicey. But whatever player they pick could certainly be traded for BJ.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
Badgerlander
RealGM

Post#136 » by Badgerlander » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:39 pm

weezybaby856 wrote:
DocHoliday wrote:

Is this in any sort of order? Because ironically I would put these 4 in complete reverse order. Oladipo, Poythress, Burke, Otto Porter.

atm it looks like we should be able to get Burke with our pick (currently 15), and I would take Porter/Poythress/Oladipo in that order with the Dallas pick (currently 11). My guess is that Porter goes top 5 and Olidapo drops down to around 10 but there are quite a few games yet along with the "combine" that could change things. I like all of them so on any given day you could convince me to take any of them, but I think Porter has the most superstar potential which I would take over Olidapo's efficiency at the moment. It probably won't matter in the end as we may only have a shot at Poythress by the time the draft comes around.

Chad Ford has them ranked-
5. Olidapo
6. Porter
15. Poythress
16. Burke

Spoiler:

emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,431

Post#137 » by emunney » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:44 pm

You'd rather have Porter than Oladipo?

I realize you explained it, but I'm shocked. Between those guys, I definitely have Victor as the guy with the extremely high ceiling. Porter has so little lift.

I love Poythress but his motor is unsettling.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
Badgerlander
RealGM

Post#138 » by Badgerlander » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:56 pm

emunney wrote:You'd rather have Porter than Oladipo?

Yeah atm but I do need to see Porter play some more. I love Oladipo but I think Porter could be a guy that can be a more dominate scorer one on one in the NBA than Oladipo even though Oladipo's numbers are just incomprehensibly outstanding. Just a gut feeling I guess, but looking forward to seeing them both in the tournament.

Spoiler:

eagle13
Head Coach
And1: 107

Post#139 » by eagle13 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:28 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:Small technical correction. Dwight did not sign a one-year extension and then get traded as those are not allowed. What he did was agree to waive his early termination option that he had last summer (July 2012). He did that in March 2012.

In the case of Monta, he has to notify the Bucks by June 30, 2013 that he wants to "opt-out" of his current contract using his early termination option. If he does NOT do that, he then is under contract with us for another season and he can be traded by us.

If he elects to opt out, he then becomes an unrestricted free agent on July 1st, free to sign anywhere. However, we still retain his "Bird Rights" and thus could sign and trade him to another team. However it is important to note that:

a) Any S&T contracts must be for at least three years with year one fully guaranteed

b) WIth the new luxury tax rules taking effect, teams that are more than $4mm over the luxury tax or use the mini-MLE can't accept a player in a S&T. So we can't S&T him to the Lakers for example unless they reduce their salaries considerably.

Thank you PP. so not S&T w/ Lakers even if it reduces thier salary? darn
raysbookclub
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,159

Post#140 » by raysbookclub » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:42 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:

I would have been game.

Swag 1 / Redick / Thad / Ers / Sanders.

Holy ****, a team I actually would like.

Seriously.

I hope we didn't not make the trade because of Young's injury (missed the last few weeks but just came back). Ugh. In a win-now vision, that's a good trade. You know Philly doesn't want to make the playoffs lest they lose their pick. Why not take advantage? Trade for Morrow and you still have a 3-guard rotation, trade for Telfair if you need a backup point. sigh.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks