ImageImage

Poll: Who would you rather have-JJ Redick or Klay Thompson?

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

Who would you rather have on the Bucks roster now?

J.J. Redick
38%
Klay Thompson
62%

Total votes: 107

paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 25,840

Poll: Who would you rather have-JJ Redick or Klay Thompson? 

Post#1 » by paulpressey25 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:20 pm

If you could have one guy on the roster today, who would it be?

J.J. Redick - $7mm this year and FA in July

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/3024/jj-redick

Klay Thompson - $2.2mm this year, $2.3mm next year then RFA year.

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/6475/klay-thompson
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks

Re: Poll: Who would you rather have-JJ Redick or Klay Thomps 

Post#2 » by paulpressey25 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:20 pm

Put aside all the issues we vetted out yesterday (Monta, Josh Smith, playoff run, Redick being the best player in the deal, etc.)

Unless you guys surprise me in this poll and vote for Redick, the Klay Thompson discussion highlights well how the Bucks have consistently mismanaged assets and maybe the real reason why people are so upset.

If we agree to stipulate that in the 2011 draft the Bucks would have selected Klay Thompson with either the 7th overall or 10th overall draft pick, which has been reported on here, you can track how this asset was wasted over the last two years.

We start out on draft day 2011 where we split the value of that lotto pick in half. We allocate half of the value to acquiring Stephen Jackson and half to acquiring Tobias Harris. In 2011-12, Stephen Jackson was such a mess that we had to use a positive asset in Bogut to take him off the team. And we’ve gotten nothing out of Tobias in two years.

Additionally, because we are so focused on “win-now” 8th seed, we don’t give Tobias serious minutes either. I don’t think they guy will amount to a great player, nor am I crushed we traded him. But we really didn’t give him the minutes needed to see if he could flourish.

So now we arrive at yesterday where the Bucks send off the Tobias asset and what we basically have to show for that 2011 lotto pick is 29 games with JJ Redick. A nice player but also a guy who we will pay at least $30 million to in the offseason we want him to stick around.

We could have just drafted Klay Thompson and had the benefit of a good young sharpshooter on a rookie deal for all of the last two years. Instead the Bucks took that 2011 draft pick and completely mis-managed and depreciated it. We seem to have a knack for doing that with all our assets. Do people disagree?

jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,244

Post#3 » by jakecronus8 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:23 pm

This is a perfect topic to prove how awful Hammond is as a GM and I honestly don't see how anyone can support him anymore. His entire time here seems to be moves trying to atone for the last mistake he made. Just a wretched GM especially for a small market team.
Do it for Chuck
jtrinaldi
Banned User
And1: 22

Post#4 » by jtrinaldi » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:24 pm

At least hammond has 3 more years to run this organization further into the ground
tski1972
Head Coach
And1: 3,588

Post#5 » by tski1972 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:26 pm

is Monta still on the team?
http://twitter.com/MarkIsOld

"Because of Giannis, the once lousy Bucks are back in the NBA conversation." - 60 Minutes
ampd
RealGM
And1: 4,883

Post#6 » by ampd » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:33 pm

paulpressey25 wrote: the Bucks took that 2011 draft pick and completely mis-managed and depreciated it. We seem to have a knack for doing that with all our assets. Do people disagree?

No disagreement here
JoeyMorgan619
Rookie
And1: 1,767

Post#7 » by JoeyMorgan619 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:39 pm

I like how nobody has answered the question yet. I'll take Redick easily.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks

Post#8 » by paulpressey25 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:40 pm

jakecronus8 wrote: His entire time here seems to be moves trying to atone for the last mistake he made.

He is terrible, but Kohl is the guy who hired him, employs him and gives him direction. I did this thread because I got tired of hearing a few guys on WSSP talk about how in a vacuum the Redick trade was great.

If you trace back the assets we used to acquire him, the trail presents a very different story.

And we've now done this over and over the last five years.

Yi asset used for RJ who because of his huge salary and declining play we had to downgrade to Kurt Thomas, Delfino and Bruce Bowen's expiring.

Mo Williams, who due to salary and fit issues we had to dump for Ridnour, who we then tried to later dump with Potsie for more salary space. But when we couldn't dump Ridnour that meant we had to dump Ramon Sessions and not match his reasonable contract. Then in 2010 when Ridnour actually turns into a positive value player, we let him walk as a free agent because we supposedly don't have the money to pay a backup PG $4 million a year (Hello Beno! at $7.5 million a year one year later)

Gadzuric and Bell's expiring contracts used to acquire Maggette, who we had to then spend that 2011 lotto pick on to acquire Stephen Jackson, who we then had to blow part of the Bogut asset to dump.

Bogut who we had to use to dump Jackson and acquire Monta and Udoh, who we apparently tried to dump in different trades yesterday.

The only positive one I can think of is John Salmons. We got him for nothing and in the trade out, actually got positive value in Beno and moving up from pick 10 to pick 7 in 2011. But we turned around and pissed away that value.

I'm missing other examples that you guys can fill in.

emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,432

Post#9 » by emunney » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:42 pm

I just don't like Klay Thompson, but I agree with the underlying point.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,490

Post#10 » by JayMKE » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:54 pm

It's not even really a question. Klay is 23, on his rookie contract, already a comparable player to Redick, and likely to get better. It's not even close.
FREE GIANNIS
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,747

Post#11 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:55 pm

emunney wrote:I just don't like Klay Thompson, but I agree with the underlying point.
H2tObes
RealGM
And1: 10,022

Post#12 » by H2tObes » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:01 pm

Redick>>>>>>>Thompson

I'd take Redick fairly easily because I would hate for Thompson to be a long term solution at SG, when his shot it off he is a enormous net negative on the court, literally can't do anything else at an average level. He tries to do to much.
worthlessBucks
RealGM
And1: 4,823

Post#13 » by worthlessBucks » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Embarrassing when you drill up from each of Hammond's moves. It really has nothing to do with Redick, it's just the path the Bucks have taken to get where they sit today. The same idiotic path we'll be discussing in a year's time, then the next year, then the next, until they finally move.

You cannot hide from the truth anymore, every single person in the front office of the Bucks' organization is a moron. Kohl, Walter, Burr, whomever..they have no business running a basketball team.
Go Bucks!
wichmae
RealGM
And1: 1,031

Post#14 » by wichmae » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:14 pm

If we are lining up the players by skills alone and how they would fit on the roster I take JJ.
The Wet Whistle
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,245

Post#15 » by The Wet Whistle » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:16 pm

emunney wrote:I just don't like Klay Thompson, but I agree with the underlying point.

wichmae wrote:If we are lining up the players by skills alone and how they would fit on the roster I take JJ.

Agree with both
cam2win
Veteran
And1: 7

Post#16 » by cam2win » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:16 pm

wichmae wrote:If we are lining up the players by skills alone and how they would fit on the roster I take JJ.
ComeBackRay34
Sophomore
And1: 10

Post#17 » by ComeBackRay34 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:22 pm

Agree, JJ is the better fit now for this season, but as the Bucks always seem to lack any vision, I take Thompson in the long run no questions ask. I see Reddick as the solid player that you know what you're gonna get but don't expect much more from. Thompson is a guy with good coaching and development could be a much better player than JJ in the long-run, maybe a top 5 SG. Not saying he will reach that, but that is his ceiling imo.
"Monta Ellis have it all" ~ from the Great One who's only difference from Wade is winning games, an all-star appearance, two championship rings, and two gold medals.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks

Post#18 » by paulpressey25 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:23 pm

Fair commentary. And that is my main point, i.e., we just keep devaluing these assets and never can build anything.

It seemed like for awhile on WSSP yesterday we reached a tipping point where people would start to see through this.

But we will see Redick tomorrow night shoot 7-10 in a Bucks win, and we'll forget once again all our underlying screwups.

jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,244

Post#19 » by jakecronus8 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:28 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
jakecronus8 wrote: His entire time here seems to be moves trying to atone for the last mistake he made.

He is terrible, but Kohl is the guy who hired him, employs him and gives him direction. I did this thread because I got tired of hearing a few guys on WSSP talk about how in a vacuum the Redick trade was great.

If you trace back the assets we used to acquire him, the trail presents a very different story.

And we've now done this over and over the last five years.

Yi asset used for RJ who because of his huge salary and declining play we had to downgrade to Kurt Thomas, Delfino and Bruce Bowen's expiring.

Mo Williams, who due to salary and fit issues we had to dump for Ridnour, who we then tried to later dump with Potsie for more salary space. But when we couldn't dump Ridnour that meant we had to dump Ramon Sessions and not match his reasonable contract. Then in 2010 when Ridnour actually turns into a positive value player, we let him walk as a free agent because we supposedly don't have the money to pay a backup PG $4 million a year (Hello Beno! at $7.5 million a year one year later)

Gadzuric and Bell's expiring contracts used to acquire Maggette, who we had to then spend that 2011 lotto pick on to acquire Stephen Jackson, who we then had to blow part of the Bogut asset to dump.

Bogut who we had to use to dump Jackson and acquire Monta and Udoh, who we apparently tried to dump in different trades yesterday.

The only positive one I can think of is John Salmons. We got him for nothing and in the trade out, actually got positive value in Beno and moving up from pick 10 to pick 7 in 2011. But we turned around and pissed away that value.

I'm missing other examples that you guys can fill in.

I'm sure there are more too. PP, next time the wssp guys are blowing Hammond on the air you should call in and read the above post. There's no way to refute any of those points.
Do it for Chuck
InsideOut
Lead Assistant
And1: 534

Post#20 » by InsideOut » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:44 pm

For the rest of the season and the drive for the 8th seed I take JJ.

After that I'd take Klay by a wide margin. JJ is in a contract year and he knows this is his last chance to get a big contract. Howard left so this frees up more stats for everyone. If signed to long deal he will start to decline and this year will have been his best. Someday Hammond might figure out why you don't sign these guys in the first place. He likes to buy high and sell low.

Have been agreeing with PP main point point for 5 years. Hammond is just bad but we'll always have a couple posters living in denial.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks