ImageImage

Is Ellis going to opt out?

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

Sherman Douglas
Veteran
And1: 1,467

Is Ellis going to opt out? 

Post#1 » by Sherman Douglas » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:12 pm

I know most reporters say he will. But that's because it's probably what he intends on doing right now.

But 11 million dollars is a lot of dough, and there are better options on the market. If his agent has any sense, he might advise Ellis to take the money, tough it out in Milwaukee for another year and then try the market next season.

The good news for some of you is that if he does opt in it probably means no Redick contract. The bad news for some of you is that it means no Redick contract.

But another year of Ellis? Another year of probably failed attempts to get something for him at the deadline? Kill me now.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,319

Re: Is Ellis going to opt out? 

Post#2 » by crkone » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:17 pm

All there needs to be is one dumb team to offer up a multi-year contract around 9 million a year I believe. I would think that if Atlanta busts, they may want Monta. But maybe the Bucks offer to beat that since they like Monta too.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
Fort Minor
Lead Assistant
And1: 70

Post#3 » by Fort Minor » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:17 pm

I don't think he will, and the thought frightens me.
BuckPack wrote:People still listen to Gery?
BigDoggyStyle
Senior
And1: 49

Post#4 » by BigDoggyStyle » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:18 pm

I'm concerned about this myself. However, we can all hope that Redick ends up taking away his playing time. That will hopefully upset him enough to make him opt out and go elsewhere. We know Redick will outplay him for sure. We just have to hope it's by enough, and that Ellis also plays horribly. Then the playing time will sway to Redick.
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 22,612

Post#5 » by Baddy Chuck » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:19 pm

If there truly is a God, yes.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
Aaron It Out
General Manager
And1: 3,101

Post#6 » by Aaron It Out » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:19 pm

I'm almost 100% sure he will.
EastSideBucksFan wrote:At some point this board is going to have to drop their stupid bullsht agendas and just enjoy the team for once.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,319

Post#7 » by crkone » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:22 pm

I think it's going to be a battle of wits between Boylan and Ellis. Does Boylan want a possible mutiny on his hands while he is trying to coach for a job when he takes a chance and tries to go for a better seed in the playoffs by playing Redick 35 a night? Or will he want to show Kohl he can get the egos under control by letting Ellis showcase his talents?

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
GHOSTofSIKMA
RealGM
And1: 7,929

Post#8 » by GHOSTofSIKMA » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:24 pm

if he opts in we can just trade him. as an expiring hed be really easy to move for spare parts....OR probably even to a team that strikes out in free agency and absorbs that final year while preserving open space beyond it for 2014 when all the big names go back on the market.
whatthe_buck!?
Banned User
And1: 163

Post#9 » by whatthe_buck!? » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:26 pm

Baddy Chuck wrote:If there truly is a God, yes.

This.
But honestly I think it's close to 50/50 and that the odds are more in favor of him opting in than opting out at this point so if I had to commit to predicting what happens one way or another I predict he opts in. Heres hoping he has an agent with the same amount of higher education as him. If the bucks were smart they would start planting the seed in his agents head about helping to facilitate a favorable sign and trade for Monta if he opts out...
averageposter
Sixth Man
And1: 722

Post#10 » by averageposter » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:27 pm

I think the scarier revelation is Josh Smith wants to play with him and we want Josh Smith. While I like Smith I fear for the concessions that might be made in his pursuit. I know Smith said he'd sign here play here with or without him, but if you are the Bucks and you want Smith and you have Ellis and Reddick both FAs with nothing else to fill a spot you have to fill in some way it could get ugly. I think it probably influences the decision in a disappointing way, opt in or out. Maybe Smith takes a tiny bit less because we bring Monta back. I can torture myself a number of ways with variations on this theme. There may be some efforts to make something work, depending of course on the actual market for those guys.
BigDoggyStyle
Senior
And1: 49

Post#11 » by BigDoggyStyle » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:27 pm

crkone wrote:I think it's going to be a battle of wits between Boylan and Ellis. Does Boylan want a possible mutiny on his hands while he is trying to coach for a job when he takes a chance and tries to go for a better seed in the playoffs by playing Redick 35 a night? Or will he want to show Kohl he can get the egos under control by letting Ellis showcase his talents?

This is a good point. I think he'll continue to play Ellis. But the presence of Redick now gives him the option of playing Ellis less. Doubt that'll happen right away, but if Ellis keeps stinking up the place, we could see Redick dip into his playing time a bit. I hope that's what happens. He could spin it as wanting to keep Ellis more fresh down the stretch if he wants to.
A Diddy2231
Analyst
And1: 106

Post#12 » by A Diddy2231 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:27 pm

I don't see him getting 11 million or more for a multi year contract, but he still will probably get a a good amount per year somewhere else. Hopefully he hates it here so much he's willing to make less next season, for the fact of signing a new multi year contract somewhere else
Johnny wrote:You betrayed me! You're not good. You, you're just a chicken. Chip-chip-chip-chip-cheep-cheep.
jeremyd236
General Manager
And1: 16

Post#13 » by jeremyd236 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:28 pm

Do you really want him to opt out? Obviously we want him off the team, but would Ellis have value as a (for sure) expiring contract next year? It takes away the cash we can throw at Jennings, Redick, and maybe Josh Smith, but we probably won't get Smith anyways. It'd be nice to get something for him.
Sherman Douglas
Veteran
And1: 1,467

Post#14 » by Sherman Douglas » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:28 pm

jeremyd236 wrote:Do you really want him to opt out? Obviously we want him off the team, but would Ellis have value as a (for sure) expiring contract next year?

Yeah and this deadline gave me great confidence in Hammond to get value for good assets.
Max Green
RealGM
And1: 4,668

Post#15 » by Max Green » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:29 pm

He's opting out. Both he and his agent know there is some team willing to pay about him 4 times the $11m he will be giving up to become a free agent over the length of a deal. IF there is someone on the roster who truly thinks they are getting the max and wants to play in a big Market it's him. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up following Dwight to his new team next season, unless it's Brooklyn.
Vice President of Parker-Nation.
#Jabariunleashed
#OwnTheFuture
:wizard: Maxtradamus
raysbookclub
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,159

Post#16 » by raysbookclub » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:24 pm

I think Dwight Howard will still be a Laker. I don't see Ellis signing there to back up Kobe Bryant.

But yeah Ellis will opt out. It's not like his offers are going to be 2/8mil deals; he'll get a multiyear offer for a lot of money somewhere. He won't choose 11mil guaranteed over much-more-than-that guaranteed.
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,436

Post#17 » by blazza18 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:31 pm

Knowing how this franchise is run I see two scenarios.

1. He opts in for another year because he doesn't think he'll get that kind of money elsewhere. Or...

2. We make him an offer he can't refuse.
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 14,780

Post#18 » by RiotPunch » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:00 pm

The way he's been playing paired with our inability to move him leads me to believe he may not opt out after all. $11M may look pretty good to him this summer.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis
InsideOut
Lead Assistant
And1: 534

Post#19 » by InsideOut » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:17 pm

Sherman Douglas wrote:
jeremyd236 wrote:Do you really want him to opt out? Obviously we want him off the team, but would Ellis have value as a (for sure) expiring contract next year?

Yeah and this deadline gave me great confidence in Hammond to get value for good assets.

This deadline...heck, what about the last 4. deadlines? The guy can't maximize an asset to save his life yet some posters still assume he'll maximize Ellis? Based on what exactly? Is it all the times he let an asset walk for nothing or all the times he traded the asset for another bad asset? I can't speak for the rest of you but when I watch a career .200 hitter that is currently in a 2 for 23 slump come to the plate I'm going to assume he makes an out.
HurricaneKid
General Manager
And1: 5,034

Post#20 » by HurricaneKid » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:29 pm

My concern is that JJ takes enough PT from Monta (clearly this SHOULD happen) that Monta has no other option but to opt-in at the end of the year. When it becomes clear JJ Redick is a better player than you are AND you are over the hill its hard to walk away from that kind of money. And given the way the second half of the season has kicked off... I just don't see anyone giving him a 3-4 yr deal that would be worthy of him ripping up 11MM.
fishnc wrote:If I had a gun with two bullets and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and LeBron, I would shoot LeBron twice.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks