ImageImage

Is Ellis going to opt out?

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

books
Starter
Posts: 2,122
And1: 75
Joined: Jan 26, 2008
     

Re: Is Ellis going to opt out? 

Post#16 » by books » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:24 pm

I think Dwight Howard will still be a Laker. I don't see Ellis signing there to back up Kobe Bryant.

But yeah Ellis will opt out. It's not like his offers are going to be 2/8mil deals; he'll get a multiyear offer for a lot of money somewhere. He won't choose 11mil guaranteed over much-more-than-that guaranteed.
User avatar
blazza18
RealGM
Posts: 23,645
And1: 4,453
Joined: Dec 02, 2010
Location: Aussie bias
     

Re: Is Ellis going to opt out? 

Post#17 » by blazza18 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:31 pm

Knowing how this franchise is run I see two scenarios.

1. He opts in for another year because he doesn't think he'll get that kind of money elsewhere. Or...

2. We make him an offer he can't refuse.
Image
trwi7 wrote:Nah, I prefer touching real men.
User avatar
RiotPunch
General Manager
Posts: 9,560
And1: 423
Joined: Jul 05, 2009
Location: Final Four
Contact:
     

Re: Is Ellis going to opt out? 

Post#18 » by RiotPunch » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:00 pm

The way he's been playing paired with our inability to move him leads me to believe he may not opt out after all. $11M may look pretty good to him this summer.
Image
User avatar
InsideOut
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,532
And1: 299
Joined: Aug 22, 2006
Location: Hammond's junk yard

Re: Is Ellis going to opt out? 

Post#19 » by InsideOut » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:17 pm

Sherman Douglas wrote:
jeremyd236 wrote:Do you really want him to opt out? Obviously we want him off the team, but would Ellis have value as a (for sure) expiring contract next year?

Yeah and this deadline gave me great confidence in Hammond to get value for good assets.


This deadline...heck, what about the last 4. deadlines? The guy can't maximize an asset to save his life yet some posters still assume he'll maximize Ellis? Based on what exactly? Is it all the times he let an asset walk for nothing or all the times he traded the asset for another bad asset? I can't speak for the rest of you but when I watch a career .200 hitter that is currently in a 2 for 23 slump come to the plate I'm going to assume he makes an out.
John “Fred Sanford” Hammond.

Dealing in junk, scrap and unwanted players since 2008.
HurricaneKid
Veteran
Posts: 2,852
And1: 369
Joined: Jul 13, 2010

Re: Is Ellis going to opt out? 

Post#20 » by HurricaneKid » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:29 pm

My concern is that JJ takes enough PT from Monta (clearly this SHOULD happen) that Monta has no other option but to opt-in at the end of the year. When it becomes clear JJ Redick is a better player than you are AND you are over the hill its hard to walk away from that kind of money. And given the way the second half of the season has kicked off... I just don't see anyone giving him a 3-4 yr deal that would be worthy of him ripping up 11MM.
fishnc wrote:If I had a gun with two bullets and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and LeBron, I would shoot LeBron twice.
User avatar
smauss
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,149
And1: 100
Joined: Jul 23, 2005
Contact:
     

Re: Is Ellis going to opt out? 

Post#21 » by smauss » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:30 pm

I had a nightmare last night that he opted in and then Hammond extended him..........
simul justus et peccator
User avatar
RiotPunch
General Manager
Posts: 9,560
And1: 423
Joined: Jul 05, 2009
Location: Final Four
Contact:
     

Re: Is Ellis going to opt out? 

Post#22 » by RiotPunch » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:47 pm

smauss wrote:I had a nightmare last night that he opted in and then Hammond extended him..........


You should get a crystal ball and start charging people money.
Image
User avatar
Chapter29
RealGM
Posts: 11,923
And1: 240
Joined: Jul 08, 2005
Location: Wauwatosa, WI
   

Re: Is Ellis going to opt out? 

Post#23 » by Chapter29 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:54 pm

My guess is that he is unhappy here and is wanting to opt out right now. Come decision time he and his agent will sit down and weigh his options. He will likely decide to opt in and take the 11M. For us, imo it gives us an expiring contract and a bit of headache. Man did that trade suck.

The thing that gets me is that Kohl and / or the coaches seem to like Ellis and like the current backcourt pairing.

Or do they? So here comes Redick. I guess we will see just how much we really like Ellis and his 39 from the floor and 25 from three. And most recently he has turned single-handedly losing the game into an art form.

When Ellis starts the game and goes 1-5 lets say and in comes JJ and he gets a little hot and goes 3-5 and now its time form a substitution (normally when Beno would rotate out lets say). Does JJ stay in? And for how long? My hope is the coach does the right thing in those situations and keeps the player who's being successful in the game for more and more time.

I think Milwaukee will like JJ Redick btw. I know everyone is up in arms about it and some it justifiably so (some) but I really think he's the type of hard working blue collar player Milwaukee fans tend to gravitate to. I think he will be a good player for us at this very moment, for this very season. I like to enjoy watching the Bucks and I think this will make us more fun to watch and a better team.

Ellis can start. Let the best player earn their PT.
In Kidd we trust!
User avatar
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
Posts: 41,752
And1: 884
Joined: Jun 22, 2003
Location: Championshipville

Re: Is Ellis going to opt out? 

Post#24 » by floppymoose » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:06 am

crkone wrote:I think it's going to be a battle of wits between Boylan and Ellis.

That sounds like a knife fight where neither guy has a knife.
User avatar
RiotPunch
General Manager
Posts: 9,560
And1: 423
Joined: Jul 05, 2009
Location: Final Four
Contact:
     

Re: Is Ellis going to opt out? 

Post#25 » by RiotPunch » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:10 am

floppymoose wrote:
crkone wrote:I think it's going to be a battle of wits between Boylan and Ellis.

That sounds like a knife fight where neither guy has a knife.


TAKE HIM BACK, PLEEEAAASE!!
Image
User avatar
Chapter29
RealGM
Posts: 11,923
And1: 240
Joined: Jul 08, 2005
Location: Wauwatosa, WI
   

Re: Is Ellis going to opt out? 

Post#26 » by Chapter29 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:19 am

Can you call take backs in the NBA?
In Kidd we trust!
RickInCali
Junior
Posts: 451
And1: 1
Joined: Jul 14, 2009

Re: Is Ellis going to opt out? 

Post#27 » by RickInCali » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:30 am

You Milwaukee area people had better riot at the barn when Monta opts out and we ended up trading Bogut for Udoh and cap space. Or worse...they bid against themselves for Monta, give BJ 4/44m and we continue to basically suck for 5 years or more. This franchise is vomitous to the point I can't stand it anymore....and that doesn't even count getting nothing for Dalembert, Dunleavy, BJ (or worse keeping and overpaying)....and how is the Prince going to be now that he knows he was on the trading block? What a cluster.....
We all need hope, but hope is not a plan.
User avatar
smauss
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,149
And1: 100
Joined: Jul 23, 2005
Contact:
     

Re: Is Ellis going to opt out? 

Post#28 » by smauss » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:34 am

floppymoose wrote:
crkone wrote:I think it's going to be a battle of wits between Boylan and Ellis.

That sounds like a knife fight where neither guy has a knife.


onguard (or should I say off guard) :D
simul justus et peccator
User avatar
Sarunas_4_MVP
Ballboy
Posts: 42
And1: 0
Joined: Oct 24, 2012
Location: San Francisco

Re: Is Ellis going to opt out? 

Post#29 » by Sarunas_4_MVP » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:35 am

I really hope so, Bucks fans. I really do.

I appreciate you folks from the Midwest, your blue collar mentality and overall generous and kind attitudes. Great sense of humor as well. It makes me feel like crap to see you guys suffering like this, but I must admit, the comedic element on this board post-trade deadline has been great. Us Warriors and Bucks fans have an unofficial alliance (We hate the Raptors and Nets too, while you can't stand LA) and our connection through the trades we made continues to be a topic of conversation.

The great thing about Ellis in Milwaukee is you fans weren't suckered in to falling in love with the guy like we were (Although we assumed his ceiling would be higher) so getting rid of him won't be an issue. One thing I'm not fond of is his Basketball iq, as he makes ill advised mistakes in crucial moments. Is he a pg or a sg? One thing he's not is someone you can build a team around. When he was here, he used to cringe and roll his eyes at David Lee when he put his hands out for the ball. Not interested.

As far as my take on Big Bogue, I honestly think he's a bit quicker up and down the court than when he was in Milwaukee. I'm not sure if Bucks fans have noticed this. I know he was starting to develop "the art of blocking" in his final years in Milwaukee but I really think he's hitting his stride now. His timing has gotten so good that he barely gets "posterized" anymore. His post game is so polished that it's almost like watching theatre. Nothing excites me more about this team than seeing Bogut working the post, almost always drawing double teams and then throwing out to Curry or Thompson. And his passing is possibly his best quality for an active player of his size. If he was a foot shorter, he'd be a top 5 pg imo. Obviously I'm judging this in limited minutes but for anyone to say that he lost a step is just wrong. In fact, I think he gained a step. When he's out there, he's the boss. Everything runs through the big guy.

You also have a stud in Larry Sanders. When I see him out there, I feel like he's grown about 4 inches since his rookie year. I know you guys aren't fond of Hammond but he found a "special one" with Sanders. It's a project that became a success and he'll be an All-Star in this league in the next few years.
Good luck Bucks fans!
User avatar
EzeDoesIt
Junior
Posts: 462
And1: 7
Joined: Jun 01, 2012

Re: Is Ellis going to opt out? 

Post#30 » by EzeDoesIt » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:36 am

There is no "good news" if Ellis opts in.
User avatar
WRau1
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,917
And1: 538
Joined: Apr 30, 2005
Location: Milwaukee
     

Re: Is Ellis going to opt out? 

Post#31 » by WRau1 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:42 am

I hope he opts in so we can trade his expiring + picks for Gordon.
User avatar
KeyRabbit
Rookie
Posts: 1,097
And1: 36
Joined: Jun 08, 2005
Location: NoVa

Re: Is Ellis going to opt out? 

Post#32 » by KeyRabbit » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:13 am

A quote from the "win now" article on espn:

The Bucks have enough room under the cap to pursue all three, Hammond said.

________________________________

blkout wrote:
I really can't see what could possibly go wrong with a bunch of assets for him to play with
jtrinaldi
Banned User
Posts: 1,040
And1: 21
Joined: Jan 16, 2009

Re: Is Ellis going to opt out? 

Post#33 » by jtrinaldi » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:19 am

Sarunas_4_MVP wrote:I really hope so, Bucks fans. I really do.

I appreciate you folks from the Midwest, your blue collar mentality and overall generous and kind attitudes. Great sense of humor as well. It makes me feel like crap to see you guys suffering like this, but I must admit, the comedic element on this board post-trade deadline has been great. Us Warriors and Bucks fans have an unofficial alliance (We hate the Raptors and Nets too, while you can't stand LA) and our connection through the trades we made continues to be a topic of conversation.

The great thing about Ellis in Milwaukee is you fans weren't suckered in to falling in love with the guy like we were (Although we assumed his ceiling would be higher) so getting rid of him won't be an issue. One thing I'm not fond of is his Basketball iq, as he makes ill advised mistakes in crucial moments. Is he a pg or a sg? One thing he's not is someone you can build a team around. When he was here, he used to cringe and roll his eyes at David Lee when he put his hands out for the ball. Not interested.

As far as my take on Big Bogue, I honestly think he's a bit quicker up and down the court than when he was in Milwaukee. I'm not sure if Bucks fans have noticed this. I know he was starting to develop "the art of blocking" in his final years in Milwaukee but I really think he's hitting his stride now. His timing has gotten so good that he barely gets "posterized" anymore. His post game is so polished that it's almost like watching theatre. Nothing excites me more about this team than seeing Bogut working the post, almost always drawing double teams and then throwing out to Curry or Thompson. And his passing is possibly his best quality for an active player of his size. If he was a foot shorter, he'd be a top 5 pg imo. Obviously I'm judging this in limited minutes but for anyone to say that he lost a step is just wrong. In fact, I think he gained a step. When he's out there, he's the boss. Everything runs through the big guy.

You also have a stud in Larry Sanders. When I see him out there, I feel like he's grown about 4 inches since his rookie year. I know you guys aren't fond of Hammond but he found a "special one" with Sanders. It's a project that became a success and he'll be an All-Star in this league in the next few years.
Good luck Bucks fans!

Sanders is the ideal Center for the offense that we are trying to run.
Bogut could not keep up Jennings and or Monta, although if he stayed healthy, he would lead the league in rebounds off all of our misses
User avatar
BUCKnation
RealGM
Posts: 10,226
And1: 347
Joined: Jun 15, 2011
       

Re: Is Ellis going to opt out? 

Post#34 » by BUCKnation » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:23 am

I hope not. We could go get Josh Smith then trade for Dwight Howard and have our own super friends team.

/green
User avatar
blazza18
RealGM
Posts: 23,645
And1: 4,453
Joined: Dec 02, 2010
Location: Aussie bias
     

Re: Is Ellis going to opt out? 

Post#35 » by blazza18 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:31 am

KeyRabbit wrote:A quote from the "win now" article on espn:

The Bucks have enough room under the cap to pursue all three, Hammond said.




Oh god :noway:
Image
trwi7 wrote:Nah, I prefer touching real men.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks