ImageImage

Homer's open letter to Herb Kohl (Mitch Rant part II)

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

InsideOut
Lead Assistant
And1: 534

Re: Homer's open letter to Herb Kohl (Mitch Rant part II) 

Post#81 » by InsideOut » Fri May 3, 2013 4:06 pm

Nebula1 wrote:
InsideOut wrote:How would you explain to the people that could care less about basketball and think the Bucks are a joke that the franchise is an asset? They don't care about basketball and the team has been bad for like forever and now they are being asked to pay a tax to build the team a new arena. If they are paying money for something they could care less about they may see that as a liability and not an asset. An asset to one person might be a liabilty to another. Think owning a car in New York city. You might think a person would be stupid for turning down a free used car and that person might think you would be stupid to taking it. It all depends on each person's situation.

That's not correct. Asset valuation is not based on personal perception or use.

A car, for example, is a poor investment as it is a depreciating asset. An NBA franchise, in the modern CBA environment, is an appreciating asset and the appreciation is protected by profit-sharing, salary caps, etc. Totally different investments.

It's the public fault they can't understand basic concepts like that. They see a team that's losing and has been losing and equate poor value. That's just stupid.

What the team and city has to do is show how the asset contributes to other revenue streams. It should be part of a bigger city plan and really Milwaukee should build something wonderful and advanced. Milwaukee has an opportunity here to be creative and be a leader. Yes it's hard to be a leader and it takes courage, but that's what it takes. Milwaukee has that opportunity.

The Bucks are one of the oldest franchises in the NBA and have a long history and a championship. Both the precious Packers and Brewers were equally bad for a decade+ before getting public support which helped both franchises become relevant again. The Bucks can do the same.

A diamond covered in dirt and sitting in a faulty ring is still a diamond.

I disagree and feel that asset valuation is based quite a bit on personal perception. In many cases perception is more important than reality. Why did Coke or IBM stock drop right after 911? Were those companies worth less because of those planes flying into buildings? Did people stop drinking Coke? Did Coke’s earnings take a hit because of those planes? Personal perception is the reason why and asset like and old Ferrari is worth $1 million one year and worth $5 million two years later. As an FYI, I think the Bucks are ranked the least valued major sports team in the country.

Why should some 80 year old grandma living in Slinger care if the Bucks are an asset? Why is she stupid if she doesn't want to pay for that? The Bucks are Kohl's asset and not hers so why should she care?

Public support didn't make the Packers relevant. They have always been relevant and that is why I had to wait 35+ years for season tickets. change at the top made both the Packers and Brewers winners. The Bucks need to make the same change in order to become winners and then they will become relevant.

The fact is Milwaukee has a lot bigger problems than the Bucks. I think I read that from 20000-2010 Milwaukee lost more jobs than any other major city. The city is losing people. The school system is near the bottom of the country. When you look at stuff like that where a bunch of millionaires play games isn't as relevant. The Bucks need to make it relevant by doing two things. First would be a management change that leads to winning enough to be relevant. Second would be like you mentioned and show what money the Bucks bring to the community. Someone needs to come up with that dollar amount.
soboMP3
Sixth Man
And1: 1,239

Post#82 » by soboMP3 » Fri May 3, 2013 4:14 pm

That was... difficult to listen to (the production values and "WORLD WIDE x x x" stuff are lolz). However, some good points were made. As others have said, Sparky has been saying this stuff in a less spastic way for at least a year. He obviously gets his ideas from here as well, whether it be from reading here or the various members that call in.
Nebula1
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#83 » by Nebula1 » Fri May 3, 2013 4:41 pm

These threads are embarrassing imo. I do not support cheerleading sports radio bitching about things they are clearly not fully informed on.

Like the transition of the franchise isn't a top priority for Kohl and Co.

Like Homer and Thunder have a clue about the actual conversations being had by Kohl, the NBA, the city of Milwaukee, prospective buyers, etc.

Like Homer and Thunder ever cared about the Bucks or the NBA. They are cliche NFL teet sucking radio guys.

Like Homer and Thunder are suddenly corporate transition experts.

Very unprofessional and embarrassing for this board.
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 14,780

Post#84 » by RiotPunch » Fri May 3, 2013 4:48 pm

Whether they are fully informed or not, they are calling out Kohl, which has never been done before. We can only be heard so much from this forum, but bringing the real issues with our Bucks to the Milwaukee/Wisconsin radio platform is a huge step, IMO.

Like I've said in the other threads, I don't like Homer and Thunder, I'm a Mike Heller Show guy... but I love what they did by breaking the calling out Kohl mold. It is in no way embarrassing, Neb. This organization is embarrassing.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis
SkilesTheLimit
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,795

Post#85 » by SkilesTheLimit » Fri May 3, 2013 4:49 pm

Nebula1 wrote:These threads are embarrassing imo. I do not support cheerleading sports radio bitching about things they are clearly not fully informed on.

Like the transition of the franchise isn't a top priority for Kohl and Co.

Like Homer and Thunder have a clue about the actual conversations being had by Kohl, the NBA, the city of Milwaukee, prospective buyers, etc.

Like Homer and Thunder ever cared about the Bucks or the NBA. They are cliche NFL teet sucking radio guys.

Like Homer and Thunder are suddenly corporate transition experts.

Very unprofessional and embarrassing for this board.

I'm confused. We've been banging the drum for years about how poorly our local media covers the Bucks and how they seemingly give their futility a pass.

So finally these guys step up and dedicate a whole show and most of the prior day to Bucks basketball, why ***** and moan about it?
We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees.
- Jason Kidd
Nebula1
RealGM

Post#86 » by Nebula1 » Fri May 3, 2013 4:57 pm

They aren't calling out Kohl. They are just bitching about the teams and franchise under Kohl's leadership. Yes, Kohl's teams and franchise has sucked. Fact. Thanks for showing up to the party 15 years late, Homer and Thunder. Where you been? Oh yeah, fapping to the Packers. Now they come in all loud when actual discussions are being had and obvious transition plans are being worked on.

It's embarrassing because this is not how true professionals conduct themselves. This is like two loud guys at a bar that just realized something we've all known for a long, long time.

But I guess it helps their egos to have their names on RealGM. Great. I'm sure Kohl will do something now that Homer and Thunder figured it out 15 years later!

Please just go back to riding Ted Thompson's jock. Open complaining solves nothing. Homer and Thunder are not helping.

It's embarrassing.
Nebula1
RealGM

Post#87 » by Nebula1 » Fri May 3, 2013 5:02 pm

SkilesTheLimit wrote:I'm confused. We've been banging the drum for years about how poorly our local media covers the Bucks and how they seemingly give their futility a pass.

So finally these guys step up and dedicate a whole show and most of the prior day to Bucks basketball, why ***** and moan about it?

So where is all their insight on the actual transition plans? It's just complaining.

The Bucks got beat up in the Playoffs and exposed, so shocker H&T start talking about it. Just typical sports radio nonsense.

I'm happy you guys are happy, but I see no constructive discussion. It's just saying "Kohl sucks and should sell" in different ways. Well no ****, fellas.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 25,840

Post#88 » by paulpressey25 » Fri May 3, 2013 5:02 pm

Nebula1 wrote:They aren't calling out Kohl.

Yes, they are. Homer multiple times asked Kohl to sell the team. Called him the worst owner in the NBA.

No question they are late to the party. But we need a lot of people to have a good party. I welcome their efforts.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
RiotPunch
RealGM

Post#89 » by RiotPunch » Fri May 3, 2013 5:04 pm

Agree to disagree then, I guess. It is all a matter of principle for me, as most of us have wanted the issues crippling the Bucks to be brought to light for years now. Homer and Thunder may not be the best guys for the job, as you said they are not big Bucks guys in the first place, BUT they are the first ones to have the balls to talk about this stuff on Milwaukee radio. That's what we've wanted!

How are they not calling out Kohl? Bitching about the franchise under Kohl's leadership sounds like calling him out to me... It may be two decades late, but better late than never. But yeah, I just plain disagree with you, and that's fine.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Nebula1
RealGM

Post#90 » by Nebula1 » Fri May 3, 2013 5:06 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
Nebula1 wrote:They aren't calling out Kohl.

Yes, they are. Homer multiple times asked Kohl to sell the team. Called him the worst owner in the NBA.

No question they are late to the party. But we need a lot of people to have a good party. I welcome their efforts.

Wow, brilliant insight Homer. You deserve a standing ovation. **** genius imo.
Nebula1
RealGM

Post#91 » by Nebula1 » Fri May 3, 2013 5:12 pm

RiotPunch wrote:Agree to disagree then, I guess. It is all a matter of principle for me, as most of us have wanted the issues crippling the Bucks to be brought to light for years now. Homer and Thunder may not be the best guys for the job, as you said they are not big Bucks guys in the first place, BUT they are the first ones to have the balls to talk about this stuff on Milwaukee radio. That's what we've wanted!

How are they not calling out Kohl? Bitching about the franchise under Kohl's leadership sounds like calling him out to me... It may be two decades late, but better late than never. But yeah, I just plain disagree with you, and that's fine.

I'm fine with that too and there's no love lost. But this changes nothing. The facts and issues with the transition of the franchise do not change. Kohl will not suddenly become enlightened by two sports radio guys. Selling a small market corporation with all the variables is not an easy process. These are very, very complex deals involving a number of different parties.

Who gives a **** that Homer and Thunder finally realized it was Kohl the whole time? Good job guys, way to catch up. However, this issue has moved on to later stages and most importantly, a new arena.
LittleRooster
General Manager
And1: 3,110

Post#92 » by LittleRooster » Fri May 3, 2013 5:12 pm

I guess I understand Nebula's frustration that this SHOULDN'T be a big deal. I don't care how late they are I'm happy they're saying something! Keep it coming
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#93 » by europa » Fri May 3, 2013 5:13 pm

Nebula1 wrote:Kohl will not suddenly become enlightened by two sports radio guys.

I doubt anything meaningful comes from this as well but I'm admittedly more cynical about this team and its prospects than I ever been.
Nothing will not break me.
LittleRooster
General Manager
And1: 3,110

Post#94 » by LittleRooster » Fri May 3, 2013 5:18 pm

europa wrote:
Nebula1 wrote:Kohl will not suddenly become enlightened by two sports radio guys.

I doubt anything meaningful comes from this as well but I'm admittedly more cynical about this team and its prospects than I ever been.

Sigh...if Europa is saying this it can't be good...

And, no, that wasn't sarcasm
Nebula1
RealGM

Post#95 » by Nebula1 » Fri May 3, 2013 5:20 pm

europa wrote:

Okay.. we've all become more jaded. I have as well.

But what does complaining do? Nothing. This franchise and the NBA understands that transition is priority.

Honestly, Kohl and his inept management team are basically irrelevant at this point, which makes the H&T bitching embarrassing. It's beyond management now. A sale is coming and that line of bitching was needed after the Grunfeld/Karl era. Now the discussion needs to be constructive about an arena and solutions.
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#96 » by europa » Fri May 3, 2013 5:21 pm

LittleRooster wrote:
europa wrote:I doubt anything meaningful comes from this as well but I'm admittedly more cynical about this team and its prospects than I ever been.

Sigh...if Europa is saying this it can't be good...

I wouldn't read too much into what I said. :) I just don't see any hope for this team as long as Kohl remains the owner. I applaud Homer and anyone else who is now calling him out. It's long overdue and deserved. I'm just not sure it's going to result in a meaningful epiphany of any kind with Kohl. I hope I'm wrong but I expect that it will remain business as usual inside the Bradley Center for as long as Kohl remains the owner.

And neb, I don't view it as complaining (although I'm sure Bucks' management does and will disregard it as such) but rather legitimate and long overdue criticism of the job Kohl has done as this team's owner.
Nothing will not break me.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,431

Post#97 » by emunney » Fri May 3, 2013 5:22 pm

I recognize that this is a significant step for local media, but I don't see the value in me listening to it.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
Nebula1
RealGM

Post#98 » by Nebula1 » Fri May 3, 2013 5:25 pm

Okay I'm out of this thread. Thank God Homer and Thunder have arrived to save the day. They've got it all figured out. Kohl sucks and needs to sell. Bravo.

Thanks guys, I feel much better since somebody on the radio said the sky was blue. Future Harvard Business School speakers imo.
Nebula1
RealGM

Post#99 » by Nebula1 » Fri May 3, 2013 5:27 pm

europa wrote:And neb, I don't view it as complaining (although I'm sure Bucks' management does and will disregard it as such) but rather legitimate and long overdue criticism of the job Kohl has done as this team's owner.

Solves and changes nothing, especially for a management team already working on transition.
RiotPunch
RealGM

Post#100 » by RiotPunch » Fri May 3, 2013 5:28 pm

emunney wrote:I recognize that this is a significant step for local media, but I don't see the value in me listening to it.

This, basically.
#FreeChuckDiesel

Return to Milwaukee Bucks