2014 TV/Movie/Book Thread with Spoilers

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM
And1: 1,417

Re: 2014 TV/Movie/Book Thread with Spoilers 

Post#761 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:46 am

humanrefutation wrote:
PkrsBcksGphsMqt wrote:Andy Greewald had a great GoT recap...

Spoiler:
I'm a little surprised that he is convinced Prince Martell poisoned Joffrey. That just seems too obvious. My first instinct was the House Tyrell. Margaery and Olenna have been spending a great deal of time probing Sansa about Joffrey and what kind of person he is. Whoever poisoned Joffrey wanted to protect Sansa (since that fool came to get her out of there) and other than Tyrion I can't see anyone else wanting to save Sansa more than the Tyrell girls since they have bonded with her. I think Maegaery and Olenna probably calculated Joffrey was too dangerous or at least too unpredictable alive so they decided to kill him after the wedding, since then Margaery would still have a claim to the throne.

The best thing about the poisoning and the mystery behind it is that Joffery pissed off so many people that any number of people could have been involved.

If you have read the books just ignore this post and don't reply. Thanks. :D

Spoiler:
Agree that Greenwald's recap was great, and also agree that his thought that Martell was the obvious culprit didn't jibe with me. Thought Tyrell made more sense as well. In addition to the reasons you cited, there was something about the way Lady Olenna looked at the cup as Tyrion reached for it - almost like she was anticipating it.

My best guess is that Ser Dontos was hired by the Tyrells to make it happen, which explains why he knew what was coming and tried to get Sansa out of there.

Yep.

Spoiler:
I noticed the way she was watching him too. Maegaery seemed somewhat suspicious as well. Can't wait for Sunday.

ETA: I'm also pretty sure Olenna and Maegaery were the first two to scream for help. It took everyone else a little while to figure out what was going on.
BucksRuleAll22 wrote:Calvin Johnson is horrible and not a top WR.
DanoMac
General Manager
And1: 3,736

Post#762 » by DanoMac » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:57 am

PkrsBcksGphsMqt wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:

Spoiler:
I'm a little surprised that he is convinced Prince Martell poisoned Joffrey. That just seems too obvious. My first instinct was the House Tyrell. Margaery and Olenna have been spending a great deal of time probing Sansa about Joffrey and what kind of person he is. Whoever poisoned Joffrey wanted to protect Sansa (since that fool came to get her out of there) and other than Tyrion I can't see anyone else wanting to save Sansa more than the Tyrell girls since they have bonded with her. I think Maegaery and Olenna probably calculated Joffrey was too dangerous or at least too unpredictable alive so they decided to kill him after the wedding, since then Margaery would still have a claim to the throne.

The best thing about the poisoning and the mystery behind it is that Joffery pissed off so many people that any number of people could have been involved.

Spoiler:
Agree that Greenwald's recap was great, and also agree that his thought that Martell was the obvious culprit didn't jibe with me. Thought Tyrell made more sense as well. In addition to the reasons you cited, there was something about the way Lady Olenna looked at the cup as Tyrion reached for it - almost like she was anticipating it.

My best guess is that Ser Dontos was hired by the Tyrells to make it happen, which explains why he knew what was coming and tried to get Sansa out of there.

Yep.

Spoiler:
I noticed the way she was watching him too. Maegaery seemed somewhat suspicious as well. Can't wait for Sunday.

ETA: I'm also pretty sure Olenna and Maegaery were the first two to scream for help. It took everyone else a little while to figure out what was going on.

Check out this slideshow via Reddit. Obviously don't click if you haven't watched...let me know if the link needs to be a spoiler link.

http://imgur.com/a/2DtPH
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,997

Post#763 » by humanrefutation » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:00 am

DanoMac wrote:
PkrsBcksGphsMqt wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:
Spoiler:

Yep.

Spoiler:

Check out this slideshow via Reddit. Obviously don't click if you haven't watched...let me know if the link needs to be a spoiler link.

I hope this isn't a spoiler from the books.

ETA: If you know it's a spoiler from the books, don't tell me.
jimmybones
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,721

Post#764 » by jimmybones » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:22 am

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Except Margaery doesn't have a claim to the throne now. If she would have had a child with Joffrey, their child would have been the heir. The heir now is Joffrey's brother, Tommen. (I have not read the books so I don't know more than any other show viewers) I'm not saying the Tyrell's weren't involved, I wouldn't be surprised if they were.
WEFFPIM
RealGM
And1: 473

Post#765 » by WEFFPIM » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:13 am

Spoiler:
As a non-book reader, I felt it was obvious that Olenna is behind this. She tells Sansa how unfortunate it was for her brother to die at a wedding (paraphrase). The cup is set down in her vicinity as the pie arrives, and she looks very...anxious...at Tyrion as he grabs the cup.

Plus, she's badass and would do this. Margaery wouldn't
ReddWing wrote:Being a fan of this team is tantamount to being in hell...There is no Christ that is coming to save us. Even if there was, we'd trade him for a 28 year old wing.
bizarro
RealGM
And1: 7,290

Post#766 » by bizarro » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:14 am

You all really shod read the books. I see complaints on here about the minutiae of Martin's story. **** that nonsense. His books are epic good. They are also epically better than the show. And, it's not the show's fault - it's simply a huge challenge to pack everything into hour segments. But, the story and backstory are so much better in the books. So much more nuanced and clearer. In the TV world you end up w nonsense like Theon getting tortured by Bolton's bastard throughout half a season. Nonsense. Anyhow, I watch the shows and enjoy them (I'm 150 pages into Book 5) but, truthfully, at the end of the day their best purpose has been giving the characters in the books recognizable faces as I form the story in my mind's eye.

Edit: And due to contractual snafus we now have a different Meera and a different Dario Naharis! That pisses me off! The new Dario isn't half the quality of last season's. Irritating.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,878

Post#767 » by Turk Nowitzki » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:38 am

bizarro wrote:And due to contractual snafus we now have a different Meera

I agree with most of your post but just wanted to say I think it's still the same girl playing Meera. I can't find anything to suggest they recast that part.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,013

Post#768 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:40 am

Not a spoiler, but out of the respect for the non reader:

Spoiler:
The last two books are **** and nothing happens. IMO.
Siefer
RealGM
And1: 6,044

Post#769 » by Siefer » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:46 am

bizarro wrote:You all really shod read the books. I see complaints on here about the minutiae of Martin's story. **** that nonsense. His books are epic good. They are also epically better than the show. And, it's not the show's fault - it's simply a huge challenge to pack everything into hour segments. But, the story and backstory are so much better in the books. So much more nuanced and clearer. In the TV world you end up w nonsense like Theon getting tortured by Bolton's bastard throughout half a season. Nonsense. Anyhow, I watch the shows and enjoy them (I'm 150 pages into Book 5) but, truthfully, at the end of the day their best purpose has been giving the characters in the books recognizable faces as I form the story in my mind's eye.

Edit: And due to contractual snafus we now have a different Meera and a different Dario Naharis! That pisses me off! The new Dario isn't half the quality of last season's. Irritating.

Dario went to star in his own Transporter movie, not really a contractual snafus as much as him wanting his own starring role. Agreed that this Dario is inferior, though. Meera is being played by the same actress.
DanoMac
General Manager
And1: 3,736

Post#770 » by DanoMac » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:07 am

humanrefutation wrote:
DanoMac wrote:
PkrsBcksGphsMqt wrote:
Yep.

Spoiler:

I hope this isn't a spoiler from the books.

ETA: If you know it's a spoiler from the books, don't tell me.

I don't know if it is or not, it just shows what happens in the episode slideshow by slideshow that the viewer may not have caught the 1st, 2nd, or even 3rd time around. It's interesting, but also explains how it was done.
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM

Post#771 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:41 am

DanoMac wrote:
PkrsBcksGphsMqt wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:
Spoiler:

Yep.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Even more than the pictures, the reminder that the Tyrell's bought the food is the clincher for me. There were way too many references to the Tyrell's paying for the food for it not to be an important piece of the episode.

In the pictures, is the missing jewel supposed to be the poison?
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM

Post#772 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:59 pm

Ask the Maester recap article from Grantland on Sunday's ep.

Shout out to HR for sharing these. Really helps to understand what is going on and the background information is really interesting.
Siefer
RealGM
And1: 6,044

Post#773 » by Siefer » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:43 pm

http://www.avclub.com/article/stephen-c ... -la-203387

Great piece on why Colbert's move to the Late Show is likely a downgrade.

Colbert’s dilemma is that he didn’t become a true successor to David Letterman by taking over Letterman’s job. He did so by hosting Report and, like Dave before him, reinventing what a television show could do.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#774 » by humanrefutation » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:49 pm

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nztzwMiQTaI[/youtube]

Le Batard put it best on HQ yesterday - not only are you going to be known as the kid who lost a million dollars and a car, but you're also going to be known as an idiot.
TroyD92
RealGM
And1: 10,651

Post#775 » by TroyD92 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:55 pm

LMFAO I can't even. I CAN'T HAAHHAHAHA
VooDoo7 wrote:
JEIS wrote:

Kidd would have curb stomped him.

Maybe if his name was Denise instead of Dennis.

Fotis St wrote:Wherever you are David, I love you man.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#776 » by humanrefutation » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:00 pm

I mean, I can't hate the guy for mispronouncing Achilles. But when the category is "PERSON," why the **** are you guessing a C? And what the **** is a "DICESPIN?" LMAO.
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM

Post#777 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:00 am

humanrefutation wrote:Watched the season premiere of Mad Men. I have a feeling that when I finish watching this series, I'll be thinking "I just invested a ton of time watching a series which repeated the same plot over and over again."

+1

Finally got around to watching this since GoT and the Bucks have been taking up my free time this week. This show does seem to be going in circles. The premiere felt so empty, especially when compared to the GoT Joffrey episode. It is a good thing this is the final season. It even almost feels like the cast is about ready to move on.
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,275

Post#778 » by jakecronus8 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:15 am

humanrefutation wrote:[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nztzwMiQTaI[/youtube]

Le Batard put it best on HQ yesterday - not only are you going to be known as the kid who lost a million dollars and a car, but you're also going to be known as an idiot.

Do it for Chuck
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,723

Post#779 » by emunney » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:31 am

humanrefutation wrote:I mean, I can't hate the guy for mispronouncing Achilles. But when the category is "PERSON," why the **** are you guessing a C? And what the **** is a "DICESPIN?" LMAO.

I just love that he thought it was World's Fastest Cat and was willing to overlook the Person thing.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM

Post#780 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:59 am

Just getting into Orphan Black tonight. Pretty solid so far. You guys should have told me one of the clones is a Gopher. :D

Return to Milwaukee Bucks