El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Re: 2014 TV/Movie/Book Thread with Spoilers 

Post#821 » by El Duderino » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:41 pm

jimmybones wrote:
chuckleslove wrote:GoT obviously:

Spoiler:
I see no way that it could be Cersei, she was the only one who seemed to care in the slightest that Joffrey was even dead and the time when she considered poisoning her offspring before was to spare him the inevitable cruelties that would have come with losing the war so it would have been out of compassion from her stance not out of the desire to eliminate her offspring.

I think Olenna is my prime suspect and definitely with the help of Baelish but I think Olenna was the mastermind. She is wise and I think some of the questioning of Sansa was not only to determine what type of person Joffrey was, she obviously had her suspicions and it isn't like he hid what a sick bastard he was, but also to determine what sort of person Sansa was at which point she determined she needed to save/spare her.

Also while I agree that Daenerys' story isn't exactly fast moving they don't give her a ton of screen time each week and I thought this week's episode in particular really showed that her army is gaining strength exponentially. She gets what, about 5 minutes ever episode? You can't completely ignore her but clearly most of the focus has been on what is going on at King's Landing and the north.

Spoiler:
I wouldn't be surprised if Tywin is in on it with Olenna and Littlefinger. Tywin wants Sansa in the north with Littlefinger for control of the North. Tywin also seems pretty into the role of molding Tommen in to a King and running the show until he comes of age. Tywin is such a beast. I love Littlefinger too, that opening scene was epic.

That was my thought also. My only trepidation was they made it almost seem obvious that he was behind it in some way.
jimmybones
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,685

Post#822 » by jimmybones » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:43 pm

PkrsBcksGphsMqt wrote:
Spoiler:
I don't know, by the end of it she is kissing him and easing up. But who knows, it was uncomfortable no matter how you look at it.

Honestly, I thought so too. It was clearly a strong no and enough that he should have stopped early. But it did seem relented a bit. Maybe because physically she couldn't do **** or because she was into it. Weird/creepy, regardless.
jimmybones
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,685

Post#823 » by jimmybones » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:44 pm

El Duderino wrote:
jimmybones wrote:

Spoiler:
I see no way that it could be Cersei, she was the only one who seemed to care in the slightest that Joffrey was even dead and the time when she considered poisoning her offspring before was to spare him the inevitable cruelties that would have come with losing the war so it would have been out of compassion from her stance not out of the desire to eliminate her offspring.

I think Olenna is my prime suspect and definitely with the help of Baelish but I think Olenna was the mastermind. She is wise and I think some of the questioning of Sansa was not only to determine what type of person Joffrey was, she obviously had her suspicions and it isn't like he hid what a sick bastard he was, but also to determine what sort of person Sansa was at which point she determined she needed to save/spare her.

Also while I agree that Daenerys' story isn't exactly fast moving they don't give her a ton of screen time each week and I thought this week's episode in particular really showed that her army is gaining strength exponentially. She gets what, about 5 minutes ever episode? You can't completely ignore her but clearly most of the focus has been on what is going on at King's Landing and the north.

Spoiler:
I wouldn't be surprised if Tywin is in on it with Olenna and Littlefinger. Tywin wants Sansa in the north with Littlefinger for control of the North. Tywin also seems pretty into the role of molding Tommen in to a King and running the show until he comes of age. Tywin is such a beast. I love Littlefinger too, that opening scene was epic.

That was my thought also. My only trepidation was they made it almost seem obvious that he was behind it in some way.

Spoiler:
And his reaction to find Sansa and prevent anyone from leaving the capital was pretty damn believable if he was acting.
El Duderino
RealGM

Post#824 » by El Duderino » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:55 pm

jimmybones wrote:
El Duderino wrote:

Spoiler:
And his reaction to find Sansa and prevent anyone from leaving the capital was pretty damn believable if he was acting.

Spoiler:
If it was Tywin, i think he simply thought Joffrey was to reckless and thus would eventually bring doom to the family. So get rid of him and mold Tommen instead to a king that he can manipulate however he sees fit. Like i said though, that seemed so obvious to me and GOT rarely seems to do was looks obvious.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,599

Post#825 » by emunney » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:00 pm

Spoiler:
I think it's beyond the pale for Tywin to kill his grandson the king under any circumstances. If killing offspring was something he did, he would have killed Tyrion long ago. Even if he fully understood that Joffrey was a psychopath and a terrible king (which he did), he's still the king, he's still blood, and maybe most importantly, he still has children to produce.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,934

Post#826 » by humanrefutation » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:01 pm

El Duderino wrote:
jimmybones wrote:
El Duderino wrote:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
If it was Tywin, i think he simply thought Joffrey was to reckless and thus would eventually bring doom to the family. So get rid of him and mold Tommen instead to a king that he can manipulate however he sees fit. Like i said though, that seemed so obvious to me and GOT rarely seems to do was looks obvious.

Spoiler:
Well, if you're going to go with the Tywin theory, which certainly has some merit, it would make sense that he'd stack the trial with three judges of his own choosing. He can either spare his son from being executed for a crime he committed, or he can have him killed to end any further suspicion.
El Duderino
RealGM

Post#827 » by El Duderino » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:15 pm

emunney wrote:
Spoiler:
I think it's beyond the pale for Tywin to kill his grandson the king under any circumstances. If killing offspring was something he did, he would have killed Tyrion long ago. Even if he fully understood that Joffrey was a psychopath and a terrible king (which he did), he's still the king, he's still blood, and maybe most importantly, he still has children to produce.

Spoiler:
But Tyrion never had the type of power to bring down the Lannister family as Joffrey did with his utterly reckless behavior.

I do understand though why you think he simply wouldn't kill his grandson, but i do believe preserving the Lannister family is always first in his mind and he may have thought that Joffrey was just to big of a threat by being such a psychopath, especially with other outside threats building and a very reckless king could cause doom. So with Tommen in place, Tywin becomes the defacto king.
emunney
RealGM

Post#828 » by emunney » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:45 pm

I was unsure about the pilot of Silicon Valley but I really like it now. I was gutted to learn that Christopher Welch, the guy who plays Peter Gregory, died of cancer almost 5 months ago.
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM
And1: 1,417

Post#829 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:49 pm

I thought the pilot was alright, haven't watched episodes 2 or 3 yet. One thing I will say, I think already hate the main character. I love the idea for the show, but this might be a situation where the main character is so bad/annoying that it ruins the show for me. My cousin worked for a start up that was eventually bought out by Google, so it is interesting contrasting his experience with the show.
BucksRuleAll22 wrote:Calvin Johnson is horrible and not a top WR.
emunney
RealGM

Post#830 » by emunney » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:50 pm

Just watch the next two episodes.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#831 » by humanrefutation » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:12 pm

Ask The Maester is up for this week: http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospect ... e-kingdom/
glenn
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,151

Post#832 » by glenn » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:27 pm

humanrefutation wrote:Ask The Maester is up for this week: http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospect ... e-kingdom/

That was as good read, thanks. Didn't know that was out there.
:reporter:
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#833 » by humanrefutation » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:29 pm

glenn wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:Ask The Maester is up for this week: http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospect ... e-kingdom/

That was as good read, thanks. Didn't know that was out there.

You should read his other ones. He puts it out on a weekly basis. It's one of my must-reads, because it provides useful background info that you can't get from watching the series.
KidA24
General Manager
And1: 7,235

Post#834 » by KidA24 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:59 pm

chuckleslove wrote:
jimmybones wrote:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Tywin certainly could be, the only thing that causes me hesitation for that is that Tyrion is potentially taking the fall for this and as much as Tywin gave him crap he did seem to care about and have a certainly level of respect for Tyrion. Though it could just be a situation where it was a necessary cost. He did seem to loathe Joffrey because even though Joffrey was the king he never gave any respect whatsoever to Tywin and he should have both as an adviser and as his grandfather. So it wouldn't be the most shocking thing to learn that Tywin played a hand in it. Like I said my only hesitation is that I don't think he would want Tyrion taking the fall.

Spoiler:
No. Tywin doesn't give a crap about Tyrion.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7who4CaKl14[/youtube]
Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,551

Post#835 » by blazza18 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:37 pm

emunney wrote:I was unsure about the pilot of Silicon Valley but I really like it now. I was gutted to learn that Christopher Welch, the guy who plays Peter Gregory, died of cancer almost 5 months ago.

Exactly the same for me. And wow that's kind of sad. Wonder how that'll play out on the show ?
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
ackypoo
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,354

Post#836 » by ackypoo » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:49 pm

blazza18 wrote:
emunney wrote:I was unsure about the pilot of Silicon Valley but I really like it now. I was gutted to learn that Christopher Welch, the guy who plays Peter Gregory, died of cancer almost 5 months ago.

Exactly the same for me. And wow that's kind of sad. Wonder how that'll play out on the show ?

hes one of the best characters on the show thus far.

that burger king sesame seed scene was crazy good.
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#837 » by Newz » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:31 pm

This looks like it could be pretty interesting:

https://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-ne ... 00782.html
Siefer
RealGM
And1: 5,961

Post#838 » by Siefer » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:22 pm

Spoiler:
How Graves and the showrunners handled the Jamie and Cersei scene is going to (and should) be a pretty big black eye for the show, and HBO.

http://www.vulture.com/2014/04/game-of- ... scene.html

The fact that the director thinks they showed us sex that was "consensual by the end" is disturbing to say the least. I'm not against depictions of rape in fiction; it can be an important part of a narrative. Last weeks scene, however, is part of a long list of show-only scenes of violence against women inserted for shock value. Drogo's rape of Danny in the pilot is another example of this. It fundamentally changes the characters, and their relationship (the sex is consensual in the book) with each other, yet it doesn't seem to matter in the narrative. It's a big deal that Drogo asks for her permission in the books. That their relationship beyond that point is treated as fundamentally the same, aligns with Graves' comments about the Jamie/Cersei scene. He thinks, "ultimately, it was meant to be consensual." As if consent applied retroactively.

Graves, apparently thinks the scene as depicted is of a complicated, emotional, and rough, but overall consensual sex encounter. He thinks it's generally pretty close to what was in the books.

That is not at all what they showed.
Whiteman
Rookie
And1: 209

Post#839 » by Whiteman » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:47 pm

Siefer wrote:

Spoiler:
How Graves and the showrunners handled the Jamie and Cersei scene is going to (and should) be a pretty big black eye for the show, and HBO.

http://www.vulture.com/2014/04/game-of- ... scene.html

The fact that the director thinks they showed us sex that was "consensual by the end" is disturbing to say the least. I'm not against depictions of rape in fiction; it can be an important part of a narrative. Last weeks scene, however, is part of a long list of show-only scenes of violence against women inserted for shock value. Drogo's rape of Danny in the pilot is another example of this. It fundamentally changes the characters, and their relationship (the sex is consensual in the book) with each other, yet it doesn't seem to matter in the narrative. It's a big deal that Drogo asks for her permission in the books. That their relationship beyond that point is treated as fundamentally the same, aligns with Graves' comments about the Jamie/Cersei scene. He thinks, "ultimately, it was meant to be consensual." As if consent applied retroactively.

Graves, apparently thinks the scene as depicted is of a complicated, emotional, and rough, but overall consensual sex scene. He thinks it's general pretty close to what was in the books.

That is not at all what they showed.

Agreed, they badly messed up both scenes.
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM
And1: 1,417

Post#840 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:06 pm

They could have made it more obvious than they did but it won't be a black eye at all. Remember when people were protesting the pilot because the show destroyed some pristine beach in europe? Yeah that really hurt the show's popularity...

http://io9.com/5694571/filming-of-a-gam ... cted-beach

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
BucksRuleAll22 wrote:Calvin Johnson is horrible and not a top WR.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks