2014 TV/Movie/Book Thread with Spoilers

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Re: 2014 TV/Movie/Book Thread with Spoilers 

Post#1681 » by El Duderino » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:43 pm

Ill-yasova wrote:
El Duderino wrote:My brother is in town and was raving about the American Horror Story series on FX, so last night before bed i watched the first episode of season one. I wasn't really impressed by the feel of it. Two questions.

1. Should i keep going and finish season one?

2. He said each season is a new story with new characters. Are other seasons better than season one if i continue not liking it?

Season 2 in the mental asylum is a lot of fun. I personally am a fan of the show, but I always give a disclaimer when I recommend it to people. This show is ridiculously entertaining, but that does not mean it is "good". If you look for technicality, fine acting (outside of Jessica Lange who is a boss), and air-tight plots; this is not a good show for you. If you are the kind of person who can overlook plot holes you could drive a truck through just so you can enjoy stupid fun stories created with the sole intention of being as crazy as possible....

Basically it's a show for people who enjoy Nicolas Cage movies. :wave:

Even this?

Ill-yasova
RealGM
And1: 2,552

Post#1682 » by Ill-yasova » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:52 pm

El Duderino wrote:
Ill-yasova wrote:
El Duderino wrote:My brother is in town and was raving about the American Horror Story series on FX, so last night before bed i watched the first episode of season one. I wasn't really impressed by the feel of it. Two questions.

1. Should i keep going and finish season one?

2. He said each season is a new story with new characters. Are other seasons better than season one if i continue not liking it?

Season 2 in the mental asylum is a lot of fun. I personally am a fan of the show, but I always give a disclaimer when I recommend it to people. This show is ridiculously entertaining, but that does not mean it is "good". If you look for technicality, fine acting (outside of Jessica Lange who is a boss), and air-tight plots; this is not a good show for you. If you are the kind of person who can overlook plot holes you could drive a truck through just so you can enjoy stupid fun stories created with the sole intention of being as crazy as possible....

Basically it's a show for people who enjoy Nicolas Cage movies. :wave:

Even this?

Especially that.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,017

Post#1683 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:25 am

Seriously, The Affair is ridiculously good. In each episode you have at least two actors playing completely different versions of the same character.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,725

Post#1684 » by emunney » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:35 am

ReasonablySober wrote:The AV Club is reviewing Battlestar Gallactica again. They just came to the finale of season one:

“Kobol’s Last Gleaming” is a masterwork.

There is so much happening here that I am barely going to be able to do it justice, and that’s with 20-odd screenshots and copious notes. An episode like this almost renders further discussion of it meaningless, because it needs to be experienced, and felt, in order to be understood.

The reviewer ain't wrong. I was looking for something to fall asleep to last night and this is about as good as TV gets.

That whole first season was really great.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1685 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:37 am

emunney wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:The AV Club is reviewing Battlestar Gallactica again. They just came to the finale of season one:

“Kobol’s Last Gleaming” is a masterwork.

There is so much happening here that I am barely going to be able to do it justice, and that’s with 20-odd screenshots and copious notes. An episode like this almost renders further discussion of it meaningless, because it needs to be experienced, and felt, in order to be understood.

The reviewer ain't wrong. I was looking for something to fall asleep to last night and this is about as good as TV gets.

That whole first season was really great.

I remember really liking it, but only watching a few episodes more than once. The pilot, the boxing episode, the trial and the finale. Unlike many I actually enjoyed it throughout, including the finale. It'll probably be the show I re-watch next. I've forgotten a lot.
emunney
RealGM

Post#1686 » by emunney » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:00 am

The boxing episode was one of my least favorite. When you say the pilot, do you mean the miniseries or the first episode of the series? There wasn't really a pilot for it. The first episode ("33") is an all-timer in my book.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1687 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:08 am

emunney wrote:The boxing episode was one of my least favorite. When you say the pilot, do you mean the miniseries or the first episode of the series? There wasn't really a pilot for it. The first episode ("33") is an all-timer in my book.

Yea, over the years I've noticed how divisive the boxing episode is. Lotta people really don't like it but I do.

And I meant the mini-series but I really liked 33 too.
ejn1214
Pro Prospect
And1: 682

Post#1688 » by ejn1214 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:55 am

Nebula1 wrote:I'm pretty excited for Fury this Friday. That one looks solid and despite all the hate he gets, I still like Shia. I am a bit concerned about the potential for GI Joe-like tracers being used in the film.

Also can't wait to see, The Drop. I need more Tom Hardy in my world.

http://www.thedrop-movie.com/

I really liked The Drop. For me it seemed in the same vein of Eastern Promises or Drive. Slower moving with a quiet main character and moments of brutal violence. Hardy is also amazing. I would recommend Bullhead from the same director and I think it's on Netflix.

I also saw The Guest a couple of weeks ago. Best horror of the year and possibly the most unique in awhile, even though it borrows from a lot of different movies. An couple in their 70s walked out about 30 minutes in and missed all the good parts.
Nebula1
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#1689 » by Nebula1 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:14 pm

^Is The Drop available in the US yet? I guess I'm naive to that at this point, but I can't wait to see it. I loved Drive.

I did see Fury, which was pretty good. I thought Jon Bernthal was incredible and stole the show. If you think of his contrast to The Wolf of Wall Street, you really see his range.
ejn1214
Pro Prospect
And1: 682

Post#1690 » by ejn1214 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:48 pm

They had it at the Ridge in New Berlin a couple of weeks ago. I went on the first Friday it was there, and it was already in one of their smaller theaters. I'm guessing it didn't stay long.
Nebula1
RealGM

Post#1691 » by Nebula1 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:12 pm

ejn1214 wrote:They had it at the Ridge in New Berlin a couple of weeks ago. I went on the first Friday it was there, and it was already in one of their smaller theaters. I'm guessing it didn't stay long.

Interesting... thanks for the info. I'll just keep looking for it and worst case, I'll download it at some point.
ReddRum
Veteran
And1: 465
Location: Waiting for a superstar to awaken the city of Milwaukee

Post#1692 » by ReddRum » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:43 pm

Just watched the first 2 episodes of Boardwalk Empire last night (Season 1). Excellent show thusfar!
MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:Big baby ass Derozan tosses the ball in the stands and gets and gets his sorry a-- tossed. Cross him off our list of players to target.

Ejected with only two games left in your season.What immature nut...Grow up and just play.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#1693 » by El Duderino » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:04 pm

I went and saw Fury yesterday with my brother and it was better than i expected from the trailers. The ending was a bit over the top unrealistic, but overall the whole story to it and acting were impressive.
DanoMac
General Manager
And1: 3,736

Post#1694 » by DanoMac » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:15 pm

ReddRum wrote:Just watched the first 2 episodes of Boardwalk Empire last night (Season 1). Excellent show thusfar!

It's incredible. No clue how it's not more popular.
WEFFPIM
RealGM
And1: 473

Post#1695 » by WEFFPIM » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:13 am

ReasonablySober wrote:
emunney wrote:The boxing episode was one of my least favorite. When you say the pilot, do you mean the miniseries or the first episode of the series? There wasn't really a pilot for it. The first episode ("33") is an all-timer in my book.

Yea, over the years I've noticed how divisive the boxing episode is. Lotta people really don't like it but I do.

Hated the boxing episode, loved the finale.
ReddWing wrote:Being a fan of this team is tantamount to being in hell...There is no Christ that is coming to save us. Even if there was, we'd trade him for a 28 year old wing.
Siefer
RealGM
And1: 6,044

Post#1696 » by Siefer » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:03 am

WEFFPIM wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

Hated the boxing episode, loved the finale.

I loved BSG, but the the last 8 episodes were pretty rough. To this day, I'm not inclined to go back and watch it because of how much I hated the ending.
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,978

Post#1697 » by Badgerlander » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:58 pm

:o
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
The Wet Whistle
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,252

Post#1698 » by The Wet Whistle » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:45 am

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmeOjFno6Do[/youtube]

HOLY **** **** :o
emunney
RealGM

Post#1699 » by emunney » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:54 am

The Wet Whistle wrote:[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmeOjFno6Do[/youtube]

HOLY **** **** :o

THAT BALLET **** GOT ME SO HYYYYYYYPE.
Nebula1
RealGM

Post#1700 » by Nebula1 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:51 pm

First, I'm late to the party but I got to witness The Grand Budapest Hotel and what a gorgeous film. I loved the writing, the shooting, the acting, everything and even though I'm generally a Wes Anderson fan, I thought this was triumphant even for him.

Second, I'm going to see St. Vincent tonight which I worry is a little too "feel good" and less funny, but Murray is in it, so I'm going to see it. So far there has been a pretty solid string of films going to screen lately. However, the lack of showings for The Drop is frustrating me.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks