ImageImage

2014 TV/Movie/Book Thread with Spoilers

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

SpursNBucks
Banned User
And1: 113

Re: 2014 TV/Movie/Book Thread with Spoilers 

Post#741 » by SpursNBucks » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:02 pm

Late Night Talk Shows all kind of suck. Don't really care what most of those people have to say. The j Stewart show is funny- I thought Oliver was the best of his team, but not sure how he would do as an interviewer. Could never get into Colbert's brand of comedy.

True Detective was awesome. Hannibal has been good. Don't really have time to watch much else.
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,275

Post#742 » by jakecronus8 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:06 pm

Draft Day was entertaining but so terribly written. Got me jacked for football season though. I also found it kinda funny that the Cush character from the movie was a QB from Wisconsin, given that Wisconsin's big criticism is that they can't recruit QBs.
Do it for Chuck
chuckleslove
RealGM
And1: 1,128

Post#743 » by chuckleslove » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:55 pm

If you haven't watched Orphan Black, BBCAmerica is running a marathon next weekend it looks like both Friday and Saturday will air all 10 episodes from season 1 leading up to the premier at 8 central on Saturday.
I'm dealing with cancer, it sucks, can follow along for updates if that's your thing: Chuck's cancer Go Fund Me page
Ayt
RealGM
And1: 13,776

Post#744 » by Ayt » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:05 am

crkone wrote:
Siefer wrote:http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/11/business/media/stephen-colbert-to-succeed-letterman-on-late-show.html

For fans of the Colbert Report, this has to be a gut punch. I have a hard time believing this isn't a massive downgrade in both his comedic potential, and ability to deliver social commentary.

I just wonder if he is actually going to be able to be himself and not play a character. He'll really have to broaden his comedy to include things other than politics.

I don't see why someone would think Colbert is tied to politics. He's very intelligent and extremely witty. He's excellent in his role on the Colbert Report, but his sense of humor extends well beyond politics. Even on his show, they are constantly doing bits and interviewing people that have nothing to do with politics.

The issue with Daft Punk was funny and didn't have anything to do with politics.

http://thecolbertreport.cc.com/videos/s ... n-colbert-

http://thecolbertreport.cc.com/videos/y ... aft-punk-d

Colbert has satirically covered some very heavy issues on his show. His job as a late night host will be easier comedically in comparison.

Edit: I'd recommend the services of Pup-B-Gone to anyone
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,885

Post#745 » by Turk Nowitzki » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:42 am

chuckleslove wrote:If you haven't watched Orphan Black, BBCAmerica is running a marathon next weekend it looks like both Friday and Saturday will air all 10 episodes from season 1 leading up to the premier at 8 central on Saturday.

God, I'm so excited for Season 2.
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM
And1: 1,417

Post#746 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:46 am

All Is Lost was great. Glad I didn't watch a trailer beforehand though. I just watched one after finishing the film and it gives away the whole thing. I have even more respect for Robert Redford after watching it though. Dude had had an incredible career.
BucksRuleAll22 wrote:Calvin Johnson is horrible and not a top WR.
SpursNBucks
Banned User
And1: 113

Post#747 » by SpursNBucks » Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:09 pm

I think Colbert is funny, but after you see basically the same shtick over and over- it's kind of gets old. I know younger college people really love that show though.

I do like Stewart and think he has a good staff. I especially liked his take on the war on pizza between Chicago and New York- that was a great bit. My favorite recent bit was the one he had on EPA head John Beale who lied and said he was in Iraq on some CIA undercover thing while staying at home and doing nothing for 3 years.
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM

Post#748 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:29 pm

Totally forgot tomorrow is the premiere of Mad Men's final season.

Spoiler:

humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,015

Post#749 » by humanrefutation » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:54 pm

PkrsBcksGphsMqt wrote:Totally forgot tomorrow is the premiere of Mad Men's final season.

Spoiler:

That's a lot of gifs.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#750 » by humanrefutation » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:18 am

GOT
Spoiler:
TroyD92
RealGM
And1: 10,653

Post#751 » by TroyD92 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:38 am

Spoiler:
I know everybody is happy, but I'll miss his character, and Gleeson.
VooDoo7 wrote:
JEIS wrote:

Kidd would have curb stomped him.

Maybe if his name was Denise instead of Dennis.

Fotis St wrote:Wherever you are David, I love you man.
Siefer
RealGM
And1: 6,044

Post#752 » by Siefer » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:53 am

TroyD92 wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Gleeson really was incredible in the role. Hopefully we'll start to see more of Ramsey as the series moves forward. I've always found him to be significantly more terrifying than Joffrey. He's not just a psychopath, but a patience and clever one.
Ill-yasova
RealGM
And1: 2,552

Post#753 » by Ill-yasova » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:01 am

Siefer wrote:
TroyD92 wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Gleeson really was incredible in the role. Hopefully we'll start to see more of Ramsey as the series moves forward. I've always found him to be significantly more terrifying than Joffrey. He's not just a psychopath, but a patience and clever one.

Spoiler:
Ramsey is one of the best actors in the series IMO. His barely restrained insanity is actually really fun to watch and the shaving scene really captured the Ramsey-Reek dynamic from the books too.
jimmybones
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,722

Post#754 » by jimmybones » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:05 pm

GOT=GOAT
DanoMac
General Manager
And1: 3,736

Post#755 » by DanoMac » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:18 pm

Finished True Detective a couple weeks ago. The acting was fantastic. The ending was disappointing though. Was expecting a little more I guess.

Started House of Cards last week. Flew thru season 1, about halfway thru season 2 right now. Incredible.

GOT as always is just unreal. Last night was ****.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#756 » by humanrefutation » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:53 pm

Watched the season premiere of Mad Men. I have a feeling that when I finish watching this series, I'll be thinking "I just invested a ton of time watching a series which repeated the same plot over and over again."
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,275

Post#757 » by jakecronus8 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:53 pm

Finally got around to seeing Grand Budapest Hotel. Not very funny but told a great story and might be Wes' best film. For me it's a toss up between this GPH and Fantastic Mr. Fox.
Do it for Chuck
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM

Post#758 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:58 am

Shocked I made it to Monday night without someone spoiling GoT for me. Holy ****, what an episode.

ETA: And I agree with all the spoiler posts on this page now that I read them.
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM

Post#759 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:37 am

Andy Greewald had a great GoT recap...

Spoiler:
I'm a little surprised that he is convinced Prince Martell poisoned Joffrey. That just seems too obvious. My first instinct was the House Tyrell. Margaery and Olenna have been spending a great deal of time probing Sansa about Joffrey and what kind of person he is. Whoever poisoned Joffrey wanted to protect Sansa (since that fool came to get her out of there) and other than Tyrion I can't see anyone else wanting to save Sansa more than the Tyrell girls since they have bonded with her. I think Maegaery and Olenna probably calculated Joffrey was too dangerous or at least too unpredictable alive so they decided to kill him after the wedding, since then Margaery would still have a claim to the throne.

The best thing about the poisoning and the mystery behind it is that Joffery pissed off so many people that any number of people could have been involved.

If you have read the books just ignore this post and don't reply. Thanks. :D
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#760 » by humanrefutation » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:44 am

PkrsBcksGphsMqt wrote:Andy Greewald had a great GoT recap...

Spoiler:
I'm a little surprised that he is convinced Prince Martell poisoned Joffrey. That just seems too obvious. My first instinct was the House Tyrell. Margaery and Olenna have been spending a great deal of time probing Sansa about Joffrey and what kind of person he is. Whoever poisoned Joffrey wanted to protect Sansa (since that fool came to get her out of there) and other than Tyrion I can't see anyone else wanting to save Sansa more than the Tyrell girls since they have bonded with her. I think Maegaery and Olenna probably calculated Joffrey was too dangerous or at least too unpredictable alive so they decided to kill him after the wedding, since then Margaery would still have a claim to the throne.

The best thing about the poisoning and the mystery behind it is that Joffery pissed off so many people that any number of people could have been involved.

If you have read the books just ignore this post and don't reply. Thanks. :D

Spoiler:
Agree that Greenwald's recap was great, and also agree that his thought that Martell was the obvious culprit didn't jibe with me. Thought Tyrell made more sense as well. In addition to the reasons you cited, there was something about the way Lady Olenna looked at the cup as Tyrion reached for it - almost like she was anticipating it.

My best guess is that Ser Dontos was hired by the Tyrells to make it happen, which explains why he knew what was coming and tried to get Sansa out of there.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks