ImageImage

Badger Basketball - GT v. Arizona

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

chuckleslove
RealGM
And1: 1,128

Re: Badger Basketball - GT v. Arizona 

Post#421 » by chuckleslove » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:22 pm

The worst part is they reviewed that out of bounds play for 5 minutes or whatever and overturned it after their initial review, clearly they were looking at who touched the ball but that is absolutely inexcusable I don't know if the NCAA reviews refs or whatever but those guys shouldn't see another tournament game anytime soon.
I'm dealing with cancer, it sucks, can follow along for updates if that's your thing: Chuck's cancer Go Fund Me page
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,935

Post#422 » by humanrefutation » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:39 pm

chuckleslove wrote:The worst part is they reviewed that out of bounds play for 5 minutes or whatever and overturned it after their initial review, clearly they were looking at who touched the ball but that is absolutely inexcusable I don't know if the NCAA reviews refs or whatever but those guys shouldn't see another tournament game anytime soon.

I'm not sure what your complaint is. That it took five minutes? That they didn't penalize Gordon (even though they couldn't)? That they got the call wrong (and that's arguable)?

I thought that the overturn was inconclusive, but I can't complain too much seeing as that offensive foul on Nick Johnson was incredibly ticky tack, especially late in the game.
jtf150
Bench Warmer
And1: 155

Post#423 » by jtf150 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:50 pm

humanrefutation wrote:
chuckleslove wrote:The worst part is they reviewed that out of bounds play for 5 minutes or whatever and overturned it after their initial review, clearly they were looking at who touched the ball but that is absolutely inexcusable I don't know if the NCAA reviews refs or whatever but those guys shouldn't see another tournament game anytime soon.

I'm not sure what your complaint is. That it took five minutes? That they didn't penalize Gordon (even though they couldn't)? That they got the call wrong (and that's arguable)?

I thought that the overturn was inconclusive, but I can't complain too much seeing as that offensive foul on Nick Johnson was incredibly ticky tack, especially late in the game.

It was supposed to be obvious evidence to have it overturned and I don't think it was that clear cut to overturn the call, so I agree, the overturning of the call was BS. The other bad thing was when they started the clock on the inbounds pass after that. How could the ball be inbounded and the AZ player bounce the ball almost 5 times in 2 seconds? Ya he didnt get the ball off in time, but it was a lot closer than it should have been. AZ was given way more time to win the game than they should of. Think about how fast 2 seconds go!
“I hated every minute of training, but I said, ''Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.''” - Muhammad Ali
buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,898

Post#424 » by buckboy » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:51 pm

Everyone was s complaining about the refs all night. I really don't think the refs were bad but i guess I'm in the minority. Couple of bad calls both ways but nothing major.
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
jtf150
Bench Warmer
And1: 155

Post#425 » by jtf150 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:56 pm

buckboy wrote:Everyone was s complaining about the refs all night. I really don't think the refs were bad but i guess I'm in the minority. Couple of bad calls both ways but nothing major.

I do agree though that the the charging call towards the end was a good call, where a lot of people say it was ticky tacky. The AZ player put his shoulder into the Wisconsin player.
“I hated every minute of training, but I said, ''Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.''” - Muhammad Ali
turbo2k
Bench Warmer
And1: 423

Post#426 » by turbo2k » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:01 pm

I thought the overturning of the out of bounds call was correct, it looked pretty clear the Badgers touched it last. I was much more pissed about the earlier call where the ball CLEARLY went off of the 'zona big man, and it was given back to 'zona. I could see that live. There were a few questionable calls early, seemed like they were letting them be much more physical than Wisconsin. For all of those Arizona fans that are all pissed about the charge call, there were a number of other calls that clearly worked in their favor. I do think they should not have called that charge though. I think over all the refs did favor Arizona, sans the charging call.
Newz wrote:I would also like it to be known that David Lee has not won an ESPY yet. This is **** ridiculous and it is obvious that they are doing it just to put him down. He should win all awards.
David Lee = Robbed again.

http://www.saveourbucks.com
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,429

Post#427 » by Matches Malone » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:07 pm

turbo2k wrote:I thought the overturning of the out of bounds call was correct, it looked pretty clear the Badgers touched it last. I was much more pissed about the earlier call where the ball CLEARLY went off of the 'zona big man, and it was given back to 'zona. I could see that live. There were a few questionable calls early, seemed like they were letting them be much more physical than Wisconsin. For all of those Arizona fans that are all pissed about the charge call, there were a number of other calls that clearly worked in their favor. I do think they should not have called that charge though. I think over all the refs did favor Arizona, sans the charging call.

I agree they got the out of bounds call correct with who touched it last, but they completely overlooked that Gordon was well over the baseline and was practically hugging Dekker. The officiating was subpar to say the least.
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 25,995

Post#428 » by paulpressey25 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:07 pm

humanrefutation wrote: That it took five minutes?

Conspiracy theory alert: I thought the video was inconclusive and you maybe could have even called a foul on the Arizona player, putting UW on the line. That is the call I probably would have made. Nonetheless, I assumed they'd give the ball to Wisconsin, and think after 2-3 minutes they were going to do that.

Then on the broadcast, Steve Kerr starts yakking away about how the trajectory of the ball changed, implying that it had to have gone off Wisconsin. I think it was plausible that someone who was listening to Kerr and watching that broadcast got to the refs again, and called them back to the table. Because at the halfway point of that review, it sure looked like they made a decision and were going to give the ball to UW. Now all of a sudden, they all get called back to the scorers table and spend another 3-4 minutes looking at the replay again.

That said, I think Kerr was correct in his logic. The ball did go a different direction, arguably off a Badger player.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
KidA24
General Manager
And1: 7,239

Post#429 » by KidA24 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:12 pm

buckboy wrote:Everyone was s complaining about the refs all night. I really don't think the refs were bad but i guess I'm in the minority. Couple of bad calls both ways but nothing major.

The lack of consistency was astounding. Every player seemed to have an issue with almost every call. No one knew what was and wasn't a foul. Bo never found out why he got a technical.
Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”
turbo2k
Bench Warmer
And1: 423

Post#430 » by turbo2k » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:13 pm

StikWitEM wrote:
turbo2k wrote:I thought the overturning of the out of bounds call was correct, it looked pretty clear the Badgers touched it last. I was much more pissed about the earlier call where the ball CLEARLY went off of the 'zona big man, and it was given back to 'zona. I could see that live. There were a few questionable calls early, seemed like they were letting them be much more physical than Wisconsin. For all of those Arizona fans that are all pissed about the charge call, there were a number of other calls that clearly worked in their favor. I do think they should not have called that charge though. I think over all the refs did favor Arizona, sans the charging call.

I agree they got the out of bounds call correct with who touched it last, but they completely overlooked that Gordon was well over the baseline and was practically hugging Dekker. The officiating was subpar to say the least.

Oh yeh, I agree they missed quite a few things. But I am more saying that Arizona fans don't have much of a right to complain, and also that the out of bounds call was correct. Yes the charge call was bad (IMO), but he missed the shot anyways, and there were a number of other oversights that favored 'zona.
Newz wrote:I would also like it to be known that David Lee has not won an ESPY yet. This is **** ridiculous and it is obvious that they are doing it just to put him down. He should win all awards.
David Lee = Robbed again.

http://www.saveourbucks.com
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,307

Post#431 » by Mags FTW » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:19 pm

LOL. Look where his arms were, and the ref is standing right there looking at it.
http://imgur.com/ClOa8gW
Scoops
General Manager
And1: 267

Post#432 » by Scoops » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:55 pm

So if Michigan and Michigan State win will UW be the first final four team to have beaten each of the other three during the regular season?
Go Bucks!
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,843

Post#433 » by coolhandluke121 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:15 pm

Agree 100%. Don't know how anyone can disagree with the overturn after Kerr even pointed out how the ball slightly changed rotation and direction. I guess you can't make people see something that their visual acuity can't process, no matter how many times you point it out. I also think they deserved another possession after that charge call. My heart sank after the replay because I hate winning that way. I thought the defender ran right into him to be honest, as if he was trying to tackle him without using his arms. It was more a defensive forearm by Johnson than a push-off, and if anything the foul should have been on the defender. Johnson had turned the corner and the defender wasn't even remotely in front of where Johnson was headed. You can't just run into the ball-handler from a 90 degree angle with respect to his path like that.

All that said, I don't feel too bad because Arizona quite clearly (IMO) benefited more than Wisconsin from the officiating. That lucky late-game charge call will stand out more, but a bad call that costs you 2 points at the end of a 1-point game is no worse than a bad call that costs you 2-points in the middle of a 1-point game; you just remember the last call better.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM
And1: 14,686

Post#434 » by HaroldinGMinor » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:29 pm

StikWitEM wrote:
ampd wrote:Still waiting for Dekker to show up in one of these games

Been saying this all tournament. I just don't see it happening. He's been way too passive. I'm hoping for more great games out of Kaminsky and Hayes and hoping Brust breaks out the three ball next game. He was off tonight.

I'm still waiting for Wisconsin to lose.
WiscSports1
Bench Warmer
And1: 499

Post#435 » by WiscSports1 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:47 pm

When are people going to understand that Dekker doesn't need to score 20 points a game to help this team. Bo has taught him that hitting the glass is just as important to help this team win. 8 rebs last night

I get that Sam is a 5 star guy, but let him develop. He's not great offensively, but he will be soon. Be patient with him.
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM

Post#436 » by HaroldinGMinor » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:05 pm

WiscSports1 wrote:When are people going to understand that Dekker doesn't need to score 20 points a game to help this team. Bo has taught him that hitting the glass is just as important to help this team win. 8 rebs last night

I get that Sam is a 5 star guy, but let him develop. He's not great offensively, but he will be soon. Be patient with him.

I don't get complaining about him at all. I mean they're in the Final Freaking Four. Any complaints at this point are truly nit picky.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#437 » by humanrefutation » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:35 pm

Nah, I think you can definitely criticize Sam for a few terrible plays I saw yesterday. He didn't look like he had his head in the game for stretches. He was making poor decisions with the ball and he had some sloppy misses and turnovers.

I'm not criticizing him against his recruiting stars or projected performance. I'm criticizing him as I would any other player.

That being said, he had some good boards and played solid defense. He also had a great drive in OT. He deserves credit for that.
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM

Post#438 » by HaroldinGMinor » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:56 pm

humanrefutation wrote:Nah, I think you can definitely criticize Sam for a few terrible plays I saw yesterday. He didn't look like he had his head in the game for stretches. He was making poor decisions with the ball and he had some sloppy misses and turnovers.

I'm not criticizing him against his recruiting stars or projected performance. I'm criticizing him as I would any other player.

That being said, he had some good boards and played solid defense. He also had a great drive in OT. He deserves credit for that.

He was going against probably the best defense in the country too. They've made players better than Sam look silly. It's what makes Frank's performance all the more amazing.
WiscSports1
Bench Warmer
And1: 499

Post#439 » by WiscSports1 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:02 pm

He did try to catch that one pass with one hand and that was a boneheaded play. Bo yanked him right after.

He's just not a huge offensive threat right now, his 3 shot has been off all year.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#440 » by humanrefutation » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:20 pm

Can I just say that yesterday's game was the first I've watched in a while where every single possession seemed like a make-or-break moment. I lived and died with every shot and miss. It was so incredibly stressful.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks