ImageImage

Marquette College Basketball Thread (2015-16 discussion)

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

SpursNBucks
Banned User
And1: 113

Re: OT - Marquette Hires Wojciechowski / MU BBALL updates 

Post#181 » by SpursNBucks » Mon Dec 1, 2014 5:11 am

bucksbrewers3 wrote:solid 3rd place finish for marquette in the tournament. once luke comes back there will be far less offensive boards for the opposing team, which is a big problem for them right now with him out. Duane wilson is killing it this year so far.

The Georgia Tech game was a breakthrough game in some ways. I think it raised the confidence level of the whole team. Duane Wilson is a building block. I'm a little surprised Burton isn't getting more minutes, but at 6'4" he is just undersized. Johnson looks the part, but just is having problems finishing. Cohen was highly rated, but has yet to really show anything. Never been a fan of Derrick Wilson, yet he continues to get heavy minutes.

For a team with a thin bench and not a heck of a lot of a lot a talent, Wojo has them playing hard. Next year's recruiting class is exciting. Noskowiak should come in and start from day 1 - they need a true PG and he is just that. Combine him with Duane Wilson and you have a really good starting back court. Ellenson and Heldt will give MU the size they lack in the front court.
bucksbrewers3
Starter
And1: 292

Post#182 » by bucksbrewers3 » Mon Dec 1, 2014 3:26 pm

SpursNBucks wrote:
bucksbrewers3 wrote:solid 3rd place finish for marquette in the tournament. once luke comes back there will be far less offensive boards for the opposing team, which is a big problem for them right now with him out. Duane wilson is killing it this year so far.

The Georgia Tech game was a breakthrough game in some ways. I think it raised the confidence level of the whole team. Duane Wilson is a building block. I'm a little surprised Burton isn't getting more minutes, but at 6'4" he is just undersized. Johnson looks the part, but just is having problems finishing. Cohen was highly rated, but has yet to really show anything. Never been a fan of Derrick Wilson, yet he continues to get heavy minutes.

For a team with a thin bench and not a heck of a lot of a lot a talent, Wojo has them playing hard. Next year's recruiting class is exciting. Noskowiak should come in and start from day 1 - they need a true PG and he is just that. Combine him with Duane Wilson and you have a really good starting back court. Ellenson and Heldt will give MU the size they lack in the front court.

yea derrik wilson is straight up trash, how can you be a guard and cant shoot or hit FTs is just interesting to me. once luke comes back that will help out big time on the boards. Next year this team will have much needed size for a couple years even if ellenson is a one and done player.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,009

Post#183 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Mon Dec 1, 2014 6:49 pm

SpursNBucks wrote:

I feel a little better with Duane playing well. I will feel a lot better once Fischer is playing. If he is a legit, we could have 3 guys (DuW, Ellenson, LF) fighting for All-Conference 1st/2nd team next year. Add in juniors of Burton and Johnson and seniors of Wally and STJ, we should be the class of the Big East. That is an extremely strong 7 man rotation.
SpursNBucks
Banned User

Post#184 » by SpursNBucks » Tue Dec 2, 2014 4:33 am

MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:
SpursNBucks wrote:

I feel a little better with Duane playing well. I will feel a lot better once Fischer is playing. If he is a legit, we could have 3 guys (DuW, Ellenson, LF) fighting for All-Conference 1st/2nd team next year. Add in juniors of Burton and Johnson and seniors of Wally and STJ, we should be the class of the Big East. That is an extremely strong 7 man rotation.

Agreed- If Wojo can keep these guys playing hard, and finish around .500 you have to consider this year a success. You also need to see the continued development of Wilson, Johnson, and Burton.
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM
And1: 1,417

Post#185 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Tue Dec 2, 2014 2:22 pm

I've been excited for Wilson ever since he committed. He's going to be really good. I haven't been able to watch a lot of Marquette yet this year, but I will continue to be high on Sandy Cohen. I think it may take him a little time to adjust since he didn't play against the best HS competition and was a bit of a late bloomer. I am extremely excited for next year. This year, I just want to see the young guys develop and play hard.
BucksRuleAll22 wrote:Calvin Johnson is horrible and not a top WR.
SpursNBucks
Banned User

Post#186 » by SpursNBucks » Wed Dec 3, 2014 1:28 pm

Cohen looks pretty uncomfortable out there right now = his minutes are dropping = barely seeing the court. Impossible to evaluate him. You would think if he was showing anything in practice he would be getting more minutes with the thin bench.
bucksbrewers3
Starter

Post#187 » by bucksbrewers3 » Wed Dec 3, 2014 4:12 pm

SpursNBucks wrote:Cohen looks pretty uncomfortable out there right now = his minutes are dropping = barely seeing the court. Impossible to evaluate him. You would think if he was showing anything in practice he would be getting more minutes with the thin bench.

he started the first two games maybe 3 because his practices were so great wojo said. But in game its been a whole different story.
ComeBackRay34
Sophomore
And1: 10

Post#188 » by ComeBackRay34 » Tue Dec 9, 2014 8:03 pm

Deonte Burton and John Dawson are leaving Marquette.
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/285252111.html

Dawson not that big of a surprise or loss. I thought Burton had some potential, but he has looked lost this year, especially on defense. Other than his highlight reel dunks, was not doing a whole lot to help the team win. Would guess they look to JUCO to possibly help fill out the roster for this year. That, or maybe I should try out for the team. :dontknow:

Seems like Wojo is really looking to put his own stamp on this team and take the program in a completely different direction than Buzz did. This will be a down year for sure now, but hopefully things move in a better, long-term direction come next year.

Good luck to Burton and Dawson nonetheless.
"Monta Ellis have it all" ~ from the Great One who's only difference from Wade is winning games, an all-star appearance, two championship rings, and two gold medals.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,009

Post#189 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Tue Dec 9, 2014 8:22 pm

Yeah, I wonder if Burton felt he options were limited at MU. I always thought he was a college 4 despite the height. Next year, he would be fighting Fischer, Ellenson, Heldt, W. Ellenson, and STJ for 4/5 spot minutes.
skitch815
Starter
And1: 59

Post#190 » by skitch815 » Tue Dec 9, 2014 9:38 pm

Burton has looked timid and at times uninterested both in games and on the bench. His mother died of cancer shortly before the season started and I'm sure that has affected him greatly. I hope he finds success and happiness.

Could see him back with Buzz at VT. Dawson I imagine goes smaller school closer to home in New Mexico.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,938

Post#191 » by BUCKnation » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:52 am

Luke Fischer dominating in his first game back. 5-5, 10 pts, 4 blocks and 7 rebounds at half.
Mink Coat Mason
Sophomore
And1: 51

Post#192 » by Mink Coat Mason » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:55 am

He looks incredibly solid. So fundamentally sound. Most impressed by his defense. Kid can move his feet laterally!
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,225

Post#193 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:20 am

I've watched Fischer play since grade school. He's going to really add to this team. Good kid. It would have been interesting to see him against Frank last week.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,059

Post#194 » by Thunder Muscle » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:20 am

Looked fairly solid tonight. Crazy how a decent big man presence helped protect the rim and start transition offense. At least gave some hope they'll be competitive in conference play. Would've liked Fischer against UW.
bucksbrewers3
Starter

Post#195 » by bucksbrewers3 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:38 pm

Thunder Muscle wrote:Looked fairly solid tonight. Crazy how a decent big man presence helped protect the rim and start transition offense. At least gave some hope they'll be competitive in conference play. Would've liked Fischer against UW.

Exactly. Also this team will have plenty of open 3 opportunities with him in the post. Cohen started last night but i think it needs to be duane wilson, juan johnson, juan anderson, steve taylor, luke fischer
skitch815
Starter

Post#196 » by skitch815 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:48 pm

bucksbrewers3 wrote:
Thunder Muscle wrote:Looked fairly solid tonight. Crazy how a decent big man presence helped protect the rim and start transition offense. At least gave some hope they'll be competitive in conference play. Would've liked Fischer against UW.

Exactly. Also this team will have plenty of open 3 opportunities with him in the post. Cohen started last night but i think it needs to be duane wilson, juan johnson, juan anderson, steve taylor, luke fischer

Cohen didn't start, Derrick Wilson did. Either way with only 8 guys they're all going to need to play significant minutes or they're going to flounder at the end just like last night
SpursNBucks
Banned User

Post#197 » by SpursNBucks » Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:49 am

Luke Fischer looks like the real deal. While he was ranked #34 best player coming out (ESPN) in 2013, he wasn't recruited by some of the traditional powers like NC, Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, etc. It's a tiny sample size of work, but he looks like someone who could eventually be playing in the NBA - if he can keep this up to any extent I wouldn't be surprised to see him leave for the NBA early. As a high school player they had him listed at 6'9" 200 - and now he is listed at 6'11" 245 = is that valid? He and Ellenson should form a tremendous front court tandem.

Marquette should have one heck of a team next year =

Duane Wilson/Nick Noskowiak
JaJuan Johnson/Haanif Cheatham/Sandy Cohen
Henry Ellenson*
Luke Fischer/Matt Heldt
Steve Taylor

Questions?
Did they give the elder Ellenson a scholarship, or add him as a walk-on?
Either was it looks like they will have 1 or 2 scholarships to offer left - is that right?

I'm probably more of a UW fan, but have always followed MU- and they are right there. Looks like they made a great choice in Wojo- wonder if he'll at least stay around till Coach K retires.

NOTES: The team that MU just beat by 34 points - Buzz's new team beat by just 10. V-Tech has also lost to power houses like Radford @Home, Appalachian State @Home, and got beat by Northern Iowa by 19 @ home. Still can't figure out what Buzz was thinking when he quit MU?
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,225

Post#198 » by MickeyDavis » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:09 pm

Crean started recruiting Fischer when Fischer was in 8th grade. They became close. I wasn't surprised when Fischer committed to Indiana. I also wasn't surprised when he decided he wanted to play back home.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
SpursNBucks
Banned User

Post#199 » by SpursNBucks » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:54 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:Crean started recruiting Fischer when Fischer was in 8th grade. They became close. I wasn't surprised when Fischer committed to Indiana. I also wasn't surprised when he decided he wanted to play back home.

I don't think Fischer really was a good fit with Crean's style of play. I wasn't sure Wojo and MU would be a great fit either, but Wojo seems to adapt to his personnel-keep in mind he coached the bigs at Duke. Being close to home obviously played a big role in the move to MU.
skitch815
Starter

Post#200 » by skitch815 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:22 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:Crean started recruiting Fischer when Fischer was in 8th grade. They became close. I wasn't surprised when Fischer committed to Indiana. I also wasn't surprised when he decided he wanted to play back home.

They also showed Fischer's girlfriend in the stands last night. It's pretty easy to see why he was homesick

Return to Milwaukee Bucks