ImageImage

Marquette College Basketball Thread (2015-16 discussion)

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,978

Re: OT - Marquette Hires Wojciechowski / MU BBALL updates 

Post#221 » by Badgerlander » Thu May 28, 2015 1:27 pm

that why I've always liked the Ring of Honor with the player/person's name rather than putting the jersey up in the rafters, put the jersey up in the hall of fame not in the arena
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
bucksbrewers3
Starter
And1: 292

Post#222 » by bucksbrewers3 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:19 pm

Marquette 2-0 in their trip to play European teams. Played in Rome Wednesday Ellenson had 24-10 Wilson with 28. Today they just finished up a team from Italy 102-86 Ellenson 29pts looks extremely comfortable bringing up the ball on the break after a board, can hit the outside shot with nice touch around the rim.

Big change you'll notice right away from this years team from the past few years teams is the PG play. It is so much better with shooting, driving, and creating for others from the freshman group. Outside shooting overall is so much better as well. I expect a much better year this year and a trip back to the big dance.

I must say the competition isn't the greatest however, they are pro teams and they get paid to perfect their craft so this trip will help not only facing solid teams but to build a team chemistry that I felt wasn't there last year. I'll post the link from the jsonline Marquette blog for the replay of the game when it's up.
bucksbrewers3
Starter

Post#223 » by bucksbrewers3 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:26 pm

http://m.jsonline.com/321953001.htm

There's about 10 min of pre game stuff with wojo. Game was vs a university team from Italy do take it for what it's worth
Chuck Diesel
RealGM
And1: 11,556

Post#224 » by Chuck Diesel » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:27 pm

This team is going to be really good.
Diggr14
Analyst
And1: 1,148

Post#225 » by Diggr14 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:10 pm

It should be good on paper, but MU of late really hasn't gotten much out of their pretty decent recruiting classes. They have a ton of money there to spend on recruiting and getting guys to come to MU, but it doesn't seem to translate into much success of late.
Khris Middleton - Beating up on Trash Can Teams since 1943. Invisible Man status otherwise.
Chuck Diesel
RealGM

Post#226 » by Chuck Diesel » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:37 pm

Diggr14 wrote:It should be good on paper, but MU of late really hasn't gotten much out of their pretty decent recruiting classes. They have a ton of money there to spend on recruiting and getting guys to come to MU, but it doesn't seem to translate into much success of late.

Yeah, whatever. They haven't had a player like Henry Ellenson.
SpursNBucks
Banned User
And1: 113

Post#227 » by SpursNBucks » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:34 pm

Diggr14 wrote:It should be good on paper, but MU of late really hasn't gotten much out of their pretty decent recruiting classes. They have a ton of money there to spend on recruiting and getting guys to come to MU, but it doesn't seem to translate into much success of late.

As far as their recruiting classes - they are no where close to the "elites" - they have the best recruit they have had in a long time "ellenson" - Rivals lists him at #11 - that is an "elite" recruit. They also recruited Tracy Carter PG ranked #91 and Haanif Cheatham SG #76. The year before they recruited Sandy Cohen - he was ranked #97 and Deonte Burton - Rivals ranked him #52- I don't remember if his departure had to do with "Family related" or just didn't fit in - he wasn't getting minutes. Jujuan Johnson was ranked #32 - he has been a bit of a disappointment. Duane Wilson was ranked #51 he has looked pretty good- and looking good early. 2012 - no significant recruits.

I think the team is a year away - that is if they can get Ellenson to come back for his sophomore campaign.

2016-17
(THE BIG 3 - you know they will be goo)
Ellenson - Sophomore
Fischer - Senior
Duane Wilson - Junior

(Need at least two-three from this tier to step it up)
Juan Johnson - Senior
Tracy Carter- Sophomore
Sandy Cohen - Junior
Haanif Cheatham -Sophomore

If things progress - and Wojo can coach- (not completely sold) - this should make it to the great 8!
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,026

Post#228 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:17 pm

So you are basing this on a two year rebuilding window? This is a program that made back to back elite 8s in the last four years.
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,674

Post#229 » by chonestown » Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:01 am

MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:

So you are basing this on a two year rebuilding window? This is a program that made back to back elite 8s in the last four years.

You sure about that history?
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM

Post#230 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:23 am

chonestown wrote:

Whoops. Long day. Sweet 16/elite 8. Still pretty good for the recruits they have had. Ellenson is the first big time player they signed.
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,674

Post#231 » by chonestown » Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:34 am

chonestown wrote:
MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:So you are basing this on a two year rebuilding window? This is a program that made back to back elite 8s in the last four years.

Whoops. Long day. Sweet 16/elite 8. Still pretty good for the recruits they have had. Ellenson is the first big time player they signed.

Actually, it surprised me that Marquette had the better-than-expected track record. I'll cop to looking at the situation thru cardinal-and-white glasses. Residual Tom Crean hate is a powerful thing.
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB
bucksbrewers3
Starter

Post#232 » by bucksbrewers3 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:19 pm

The problem with buzz Williams recruits was he recruited one type of player, a 6'4"-6'8" guard/forward that can slash but not really do much else. His best post player was devante Gardner who was 6'8 280lbs but wasn't much of a rebounder or shot challenger. What I like about wojo's class in his first off season is he has guys that can shoot as well as drive and recruited size that can do a bit of everything. The team will be much better
Chuck Diesel
RealGM

Post#233 » by Chuck Diesel » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:33 pm

Ellenson has a lot of Lamar Odom in his game.
bucksbrewers3
Starter

Post#234 » by bucksbrewers3 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:21 pm

Chuck Diesel wrote:Ellenson has a lot of Lamar Odom in his game.

Looking good again today 14 or 16 pts at half up 22 vs an Italy select team
bucksbrewers3
Starter

Post#235 » by bucksbrewers3 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:04 pm

Marquette just finished up the euro trip undefeated by winning today 132-75. They play four 10 min quarters. I don't care what college or euro pro team it is that's a lot o score in 40 min
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM
And1: 1,417

Post#236 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:02 pm

EXCITED for this year's Marquette team!
BucksRuleAll22 wrote:Calvin Johnson is horrible and not a top WR.
Iheartfootball
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,178

Post#237 » by Iheartfootball » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:23 pm

I think Wojo is 2 years and done if these recruits are as good as my feeble mind thinks.

MU - the launching pad for your collegiate coaching career!
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,725

Post#238 » by emunney » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:38 pm

I still think Wojo is the odds on favorite to replace Coach K.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
Beorn
Sixth Man
And1: 807

Post#239 » by Beorn » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:03 pm

the thing is, Marquette's opponents during their trip probably were probably DivII NCAA teams at best.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM

Post#240 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:31 am

Beorn wrote:the thing is, Marquette's opponents during their trip probably were probably DivII NCAA teams at best.

I agree. Pretty much the only thing that you can judge is that ellenson looks like a beast compared to Fischer. MU probably had a top 5 big man group right now. Really need to Duane Wilson to be a stud if they want to make a tourney run though

Return to Milwaukee Bucks