ImageImage

Introspective Article on Knight

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,710

Re: Introspective Article on Knight 

Post#41 » by AussieBuck » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:45 pm

Thunder Muscle wrote:I think calling him a bad player is a little extreme. Anybody that can score 18 PPG in the highest level of basketball can't be just dismissed as a bad player. Flawed, bad fit, etc are valid, but flat out a bad player is a little extreme --- but what do I know, I'm just a cave man, living in your complicated world.

It's not hard to make a list of guys who've scored that much while making their team worse. The kid is one of the primary reasons why we were able to have such a historically bad season. Sure he's got the individual skills and physical package to put up some boxscore numbers but he's not positively influencing games, he's mostly wasting a ton of possessions.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 22,685

Post#42 » by Baddy Chuck » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:03 am

There's a reason why guys who "an organization like the Spurs could turn into a useful player" never end up on an organization like the Spurs. I mean who was the last guy like that? Stephen Jackson 12 years ago?
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
cinematographer
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,697

Post#43 » by cinematographer » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:40 am

Baddy Chuck wrote:There's a reason why guys who "an organization like the Spurs could turn into a useful player" never end up on an organization like the Spurs. I mean who was the last guy like that? Stephen Jackson 12 years ago?

Ayres
Green
Belinelli's career year (partial credit, Chicago helped)
Patty Mills
Hell, Gary Neal
Baddy Chuck
RealGM

Post#44 » by Baddy Chuck » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:48 am

cinematographer wrote:
Baddy Chuck wrote:There's a reason why guys who "an organization like the Spurs could turn into a useful player" never end up on an organization like the Spurs. I mean who was the last guy like that? Stephen Jackson 12 years ago?

Ayres
Green
Patty Mills
Hell, Gary Neal

None of whom compare to the situation of putting Knight on the Spurs. It would be like the Spurs going out to get Rodney Stuckey to be their 6th man. They aren't going out to get guys who puts up hero ball numbers on another team to be their 6th man, they go out and find a guy with a specific skill and mindset their team needs, like say Green or Belinelli. Middleton is a guy the Spurs go out and get, Knight is a guy a team like the Bucks sing to a 7 million dollar deal after leading a 30 win team for a few seasons.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,710

Post#45 » by AussieBuck » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:54 am

Knight would play the Neal role on the Spurs better than Neal did but he'd be a limited minutes backup SG who might get to be called a PG occasionally while Manu runs the show. It's not like the Spurs would cure him of his blindness of what goes on around him they'd just put a cap on what he was allowed to do.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
cinematographer
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,697

Post#46 » by cinematographer » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:00 am

Baddy Chuck wrote:
cinematographer wrote:

Ayres
Green
Patty Mills
Hell, Gary Neal

None of whom compare to the situation of putting Knight on the Spurs. It would be like the Spurs going out to get Rodney Stuckey to be their 6th man. They aren't going out to get guys who puts up hero ball numbers on another team to be their 6th man, they go out and find a guy with a specific skill and mindset their team needs, like say Green or Belinelli. Middleton is a guy the Spurs go out and get, Knight is a guy a team like the Bucks sing to a 7 million dollar deal after leading a 30 win team for a few seasons.

Well if you meant a situation like Stuckey, say Stuckey. The Spurs nabbed Jax after one very middling NBA season, in line with the names I listed.
tyland
Veteran
And1: 422

Post#47 » by tyland » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:06 am

I'm no fan of Knight but I wonder how he would pay if he had a decent coach. If we do keep him around, which I presume is highly likely, I hope we get a decent head coach that can give us a better read of what his potential is.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk
SAVE OUR BUCKS
Twitter: @thetytimes
Baddy Chuck
RealGM

Post#48 » by Baddy Chuck » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:10 am

cinematographer wrote:Well if you meant a situation like Stuckey, say Stuckey. The Spurs nabbed Jax after one very middling NBA season, in line with the names I listed.

And Jackson played the role of a rather dumb, low percentage, hero ball player for them, like Knight is. Those are always the guys people think the Spurs can wrangle in to fit with their system to play a big role for them off the bench, the fact is they rarely ever go after those players and for good reason. Like with Jackson, it proves rather difficult to get those type of players to change their mindset and play within a system.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks