ImageImage

2nd Round Pick(s) Thread: "Playing Not Good for Rodney Hood"

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Licensed to Il
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,741

2nd Round Pick(s) Thread: "Playing Not Good for Rodney Hood" 

Post#1 » by Licensed to Il » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:08 pm

Thought it would be beneficial to have a separate discussion for the bounty of second round picks that Hammond has acquired for us.

I really like Glenn Robinson III with our first pick in the second. I think he will be taken in that range, and I think he has more upside than usually given credit for. I think this is the kind of prospect that would have been taken earlier as a freshmen, and will in some ways be downgraded for staying longer in school. But the Big Ten was very good last year, I think GRIII's game benefited from the extra work. I like his shooting, his athleticism, his pedigree, and his midwestern roots. Not great defense, so he would have a lot of work to do to become a "3 and D" guy off the bench. But all the tools are there to be a real solid rotation wing.

CJ Wilcox is an intriguing guy. I realize he doesn't have much upside, I realize he is basically a shooter. But he is long, athletic, and can has great range. I think you can get a lot of minutes out of this guy early on. I think regardless of the way we go in the first round, we are going to need some shooting, and this guy can give you that while contributing (in time) solid team defense.

What do we know about Giannis' brother? Are his Dleague games online? Would G benefit by having his brother on the team with him? Would it be awkward having them battle for the same minutes? Interesting to think about..
White+Purple
Sixth Man
And1: 235

Re: 2nd Round Pick(s) Thread: "Playing Not Good for Rodney H 

Post#2 » by White+Purple » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:20 pm

Panace's for Thanasis.
Whiteman
Rookie
And1: 209

Post#3 » by Whiteman » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:22 pm

Deanondraft has an interesting article on 2nd rounders.
RogerMurdock
Analyst
And1: 6,489

Post#4 » by RogerMurdock » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:22 pm

Just think about all the marketing they could do with TWO Greek Freaks!

[MIKE C]
Senior
And1: 187

Post#5 » by [MIKE C] » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:25 pm

RogerMurdock wrote:Just think about all the marketing they could do with TWO Greek Freaks!

Free gyro day!
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,978

Post#6 » by Badgerlander » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:30 pm

Villanoeyebrows wrote:What do we know about Giannis' brother? Are his Dleague games online?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGJahOlY_zw[/youtube]

Micic more than held his own against Smart in the FIBA U19 last summer
http://prague2013.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe ... ofile.html

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basket ... zl-harrell
It was no surprise the game was tight until late. Serbia’s outstanding point guard Vasilje Micic had scored 24 in the first meeting and figured to be a tough challenge again. His clever play bothered the U.S. in the first half. Even though the defense held down his scoring, he passed for 10 assists and helped set up wing Jovan Novak for five 3-pointers and 21 points on the night.

Struggling to defend Serbia’s pick-and-roll offense, particularly with key defenders Smart, Justise Winslow and Gordon resting with two fouls each, the US led by only two points at the half, 40-38.

The U.S. picked up a huge break in the third period, though, when Micic committed a third personal foul. With the game close, his coaches chose to rest him. The U.S. didn't really punish that as it might have, but was able to keep its lead and build it to 8 points when Smart converted an offensive rebound with 2:56 left.

Coach Billy Donovan went with his best defensive group at that point, hoping that some fourth-quarter pressure would undo a wearying Serbia backcourt. He’d also made an essential change in his pick-and-roll defense, going with a more athletic inside game and choosing to switch pick-and-rolls involving Micic.

This particularly worked when Harrell was defending the big man and was moved onto Micic. The traps that were helping to set up Novak and Nikola Jokic for open 3-pointers were gone, and instead Micic was having to create against a defender with overwhelming strength and astonishing length. Micic took only four shots in the game and scored 13.
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#7 » by Newz » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:33 pm

Russ Smith.
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM
And1: 1,417

Post#8 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:42 pm

"Don't care for CJ Fair!"

"Milwaukee bane for DeAndre Kane!"

"Lose often for Isaiah Austin!"
BucksRuleAll22 wrote:Calvin Johnson is horrible and not a top WR.
mlloyd10
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#9 » by mlloyd10 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:44 pm

Cory Jefferson
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,002

Post#10 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:50 pm

I really want two guys: Austin and Damien Inglis.
RogerMurdock
Analyst
And1: 6,489

Post#11 » by RogerMurdock » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:51 pm

I used to like Rodney Hood (despite being a Dookie), but I don't want him. He's a horrendous defender. He can shoot and that's about it.

I'd be looking for sleepers with high upside, guys who could potentially explode if the planets align correctly. Also, a bit on the opposite end of the spectrum, I'd look at guys who, if used properly, have a broad enough set of skills that they could thrive under the right coach.

I LOVE KJ McDaniels. He's a defensive stud and can still score in bunches. Some other guys that I would be interested in would be Spencer Dinwiddie and Javon McCrea. Another player I like that falls into my "broad skill set" category is Joe Harris, but we might not pick late enough to merit taking him. He can shoot the lights out, has the size to bang around at SG and SF, is a capable defender, and has a high basketball IQ (THAT'S WACISS!).

CJ Wilcox is definitely good, but he seems like he'll be "just a guy" to me. Good bench player, but I'd rather aim higher, if the thought is to take him early in the second.
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,978

Post#12 » by Badgerlander » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:56 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:I really want two guys: Austin and Damien Inglis.

I like Inglis too, but Austin is pretty soft
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,002

Post#13 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:57 pm

DocHoliday wrote:

I like Inglis too, but Austin is pretty soft

I'm fine with that. Like him as a future stretch four.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,613

Post#14 » by Ron Swanson » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:04 pm

Micic and GRIII would be my dream 2nd rounders. Patric Young would also be a solid Jeff Adrien replacement if we could scoop him up with our last 2nd rounder. I'm not a fan of Austin's game, but I'd draft him purely on potential depending on where he falls.
VooDoo7
RealGM
And1: 20,838

Post#15 » by VooDoo7 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:15 pm

RogerMurdock wrote:Just think about all the marketing they could do with TWO Greek Freaks!

Speaking of marketing, the Bucks new their own version of Hank the Dog going into next season. Maybe plant a fawn inside the Cousin's Center and act like it somehow snuck in at some point. People eat that sh*t up, obviously. That alone would get an arena deal done.
utah_getmetwo
Sophomore
And1: 47

Post#16 » by utah_getmetwo » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:15 pm

I assume we would trade at least one of these picks if not a "2 for 1" as we already have 9 players towards the cap next year (assuming we don't give Udoh a 5 million qualifier) plus Wolters, Miroslav, Wright is 12.... and we need to hit whatever the minimum cap number is next year which means we either re-sign (re-"sigh") Sessions and Adrien or we sign another free agent or two. Something has got to give with roster spots/salary cap here.

As an afterthought, with 2-4 picks coming, I suppose Wright won't make the team and perhaps Miroslav won't either.
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Post#17 » by EastSideBucksFan » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:16 pm

If the Bucks could come away with Andrew Wiggins, Shabazz Napier & GRIII I would be insanely excited about next years team.
VooDoo7
RealGM
And1: 20,838

Post#18 » by VooDoo7 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:19 pm

I always question the legitimacy of the ages of some of these foreign guys. Inglis looks much older than 18.

I'd love to get Semaj Christon in the 2nd.
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM
And1: 1,417

Post#19 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:22 pm

Draft Embiid, trade Henson in a package for a 1st, and draft Austin in the 2nd.
BucksRuleAll22 wrote:Calvin Johnson is horrible and not a top WR.
buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,902

Post#20 » by buckboy » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:25 pm

utah_getmetwo wrote:I assume we would trade at least one of these picks if not a "2 for 1" as we already have 9 players towards the cap next year (assuming we don't give Udoh a 5 million qualifier) plus Wolters, Miroslav, Wright is 12.... and we need to hit whatever the minimum cap number is next year which means we either re-sign (re-"sigh") Sessions and Adrien or we sign another free agent or two. Something has got to give with roster spots/salary cap here.

As an afterthought, with 2-4 picks coming, I suppose Wright won't make the team and perhaps Miroslav won't either.

They don't have to hit a salary floor. No reason to sign those guys.
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."

Return to Milwaukee Bucks