ImageImage

OT: Badger Basketball 2014-2015

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

xTitan
RealGM
And1: 2,283

Re: OT: Badger Basketball 2014-2015 

Post#121 » by xTitan » Fri May 23, 2014 3:44 am

North Carolina also offered Ellenson tonight .
buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,903

Post#122 » by buckboy » Fri May 23, 2014 4:56 am

Ill-yasova wrote:
Turk Nowitzki wrote:Various internet sources are reporting that Brevin Pritzl has given UW a verbal commitment this evening.

Cool cool cool

I saw that too. He seems like Ben Brust 2.0 so this looks like good news to me.

Definitely a better athlete.
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
Ill-yasova
RealGM
And1: 2,552

Post#123 » by Ill-yasova » Fri May 23, 2014 11:04 am

buckboy wrote:
Ill-yasova wrote:
Turk Nowitzki wrote:Various internet sources are reporting that Brevin Pritzl has given UW a verbal commitment this evening.

Cool cool cool

I saw that too. He seems like Ben Brust 2.0 so this looks like good news to me.

Really? Brust could actually dunk a basketball and I haven't seen any video of Pritzl being able to do that.
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,674

Post#124 » by chonestown » Fri May 23, 2014 3:22 pm

Asked to describe his range, Pritzl said "I can shoot the piss out of the ball."

Homey putting his own spin on the Stephen Jackson book of Quotable Quotes.
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB
buckboy
RealGM

Post#125 » by buckboy » Fri May 23, 2014 4:06 pm

Ill-yasova wrote:
buckboy wrote:
Ill-yasova wrote:I saw that too. He seems like Ben Brust 2.0 so this looks like good news to me.

Really? Brust could actually dunk a basketball and I haven't seen any video of Pritzl being able to do that.

I guess I shouldn't have stated that as a fact, as I've only seen him play live once. But based on that showing and everything I've read, I can say pretty confidently that he's a better athlete than Brust.

Also, I think Brust missed more dunks than he made at Wisconsin. :lol:
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,187

Post#126 » by skones » Fri May 23, 2014 4:19 pm

COOOOOOOOONEY at UW.
Waukee Taukee
Sophomore
And1: 53

Post#127 » by Waukee Taukee » Fri May 23, 2014 5:33 pm

Ill-yasova wrote:
buckboy wrote:
Ill-yasova wrote:I saw that too. He seems like Ben Brust 2.0 so this looks like good news to me.

Brust was an underrated athlete and his motor didn't quit.

IMO: length, quickness and footspeed are more important than vertical. Not sure exactly how Brust and Pritzl compare but Pritzl looks taller (and, presumably, longer), which should help on the defensive end and when he tries to get into the lane. I like the high release on his jumper but he needs to improve the consistency in his form (i.e., coming straight up and down with it).

A good pickup and a natural complement to some of the talented bigs we have offers out to right now. The Badgers were due for a commit.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#128 » by Bernman » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:38 pm

Jonathan Givony ‏@DraftExpress 4h

Strong showings today from Kelly Oubre & Sam Dekker. Look like the two best wing prospects here. Jarell Martin and Vincent Hunter also solid

Sam Dekker looks much stronger and more confident. Shot ball well and did a lot of other things too. He's had a great week here in Vegas.

Coach John Lucas ‏@CoachJohnLucas1 4h

Badger Sam Dekker is a special talent. If Badgers make another run this season will b on his shoulders.

Let's hope it carries over to this season. He was an assertive and really good all-around offensive player his freshman year. He was a really good defender and rebounder his sophomore year. If he can combine the attributes he's shown for his junior year, he'll be a 1st All American and Bucky will become an even stronger contende for their first modern championship.

I would still feel better if we made use of at least one of our remaining couple scholarships. Is there any hope left on that front, or has the ship sailed? I haven't been following very closely.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
SpottedBadger
Freshman
And1: 38

Post#129 » by SpottedBadger » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:10 am

Bernman wrote:Jonathan Givony ‏@DraftExpress 4h

Strong showings today from Kelly Oubre & Sam Dekker. Look like the two best wing prospects here. Jarell Martin and Vincent Hunter also solid

Sam Dekker looks much stronger and more confident. Shot ball well and did a lot of other things too. He's had a great week here in Vegas.

Badger Sam Dekker is a special talent. If Badgers make another run this season will b on his shoulders.

Let's hope it carries over to this season. He was an assertive and really good all-around offensive player his freshman year. He was a really good defender and rebounder his sophomore year. If he can combine the attributes he's shown for his junior year, he'll be a 1st All American and Bucky will become an even stronger contende for their first modern championship.

I would still feel better if we made use of at least one of our remaining couple scholarships. Is there any hope left on that front, or has the ship sailed? I haven't been following very closely.

i think they should just roll the scholarship over into 2015 or 2016. It's very doubtful that they'd pick someone up at this stage that will make an impact next year.

If Dekker regains his stroke and becomes a better slasher, our offense will be virtually unstoppable from a defensive perspective. I mean what are your keys going to be? You can't sag in on Kaminsky because it'll leave open 3 point shooters, but then you give Frank and Nigel 1-on-1's down low and it leaves the lane open for Dekker and Trae jackson to drive into.

Also, mark this down. Duje Dukan will be the B1G 6th man of the year.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,393

Post#130 » by MickeyDavis » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:26 am

That Kentucky game still pisses me off. We could be the champs and going for a repeat.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
wapith
Junior
And1: 164

Post#131 » by wapith » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:34 am

SpottedBadger wrote:
Bernman wrote:Jonathan Givony ‏@DraftExpress 4h

i think they should just roll the scholarship over into 2015 or 2016. It's very doubtful that they'd pick someone up at this stage that will make an impact next year.

If Dekker regains his stroke and becomes a better slasher, our offense will be virtually unstoppable from a defensive perspective. I mean what are your keys going to be? You can't sag in on Kaminsky because it'll leave open 3 point shooters, but then you give Frank and Nigel 1-on-1's down low and it leaves the lane open for Dekker and Trae jackson to drive into.

Also, mark this down. Duje Dukan will be the B1G 6th man of the year.

Is Duje even the 6th man on the team with Koenig?

Sent from my SM-T520 using RealGM Forums mobile app
Bernman
RealGM

Post#132 » by Bernman » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:42 am

SpottedBadger wrote:i think they should just roll the scholarship over into 2015 or 2016. It's very doubtful that they'd pick someone up at this stage that will make an impact next year.

I think it's in effect two scholarships we'd be rolling over if you don't count Showalter as a true schollie player. I'd be totally fine with 12 true schollie players, and then giving the last one to Zak. But not utilizing two is tenuous. Hopefully not having a true 5 to back up Frank won't ultimately cost us like not having a 2nd target forward cost Klinsmann and the U.S. when Altidore got injured. He was wasteful of his final roster spot(s). You don't think it can hurt you because it's the last spots on the roster, but it can if an injury hits you in the wrong place. Would be a shame if it happened especially during our season with the best shot at a national championship theoretically.

If we've waited this long, you might be right, that our best move is to bank them. But we had like 9 months to start of the season since another schollie opened up, and were coming off a final four season. So it's disappointing to not have filled it.
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM
And1: 14,771

Post#133 » by HaroldinGMinor » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:48 am

A couple of of the high school hoops guys are now predicting Stone to UW. I'd be shocked if that actually happened.
Bernman
RealGM

Post#134 » by Bernman » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:54 am

If he could test out of his senior year and reclassify, that would be ideal. :)
SpottedBadger
Freshman
And1: 38

Post#135 » by SpottedBadger » Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:09 am

"Is Duje even the 6th man on the team with Koenig?"

True, I was probably a little overzealous in that proclamation. Bronson is probably my favorite player on the team so it's definitely an oversight. I guess my point is that I'm very high on Duje and I don't think that Kentucky performance was just a flash-in-the-pan kind of thing. He has the nicest stroke on the team and probably one of the nicest strokes in the country. Figuring that he'll be battling with Vitto Brown as the first big off the bench, that increase in playing time will do great things for his game.

Lack of scholarship players = Lack of bigs
I understand the point, I just don't think there's any real solution. I think we're actually pretty well covered down low with Kaminsky and Nigel likely to start at the 4 and 5 with Duje and Vitto Brown coming off the bench. It's certainly better than our situation last season. I'm actually more concerned with our wing depth next season. You'd figure Jackson and Gasser will start in the back-court with Dekker back the 3 and Bronson at the backup guard spot on the bench. Who's going to be the next guy at the 2 when Gasser and Trae are both on the bench. Showalter, Riley Dearring, and Jordan Hill are the likely candidates, but I wouldn't be shocked if Hill decides to RS this season.

Diamond Stone and UW
I think it's still long odds, but I wouldn't be that shocked. Bo has a great relationship and understanding with Diamond's father and there are several family connections to UW. Ryan Evans is Diamond's cousin, and Dare Ogunbowale, who plays football at UW, is also a cousin. I also think a huge selling point for bigs now is the idea that they will rarely if ever get double teamed down in the low post with all of UW's shooters. The fact that Kamisnky dropped 44 points this season and 28 points against the #1 defense in the country on a big stage, is a testament to that fact.

And while we're on the subject...I think it'd be a mistake if Henry Ellenson doesn't choose UW. And I'm not even coming from a place of Badger bias either. I thought JP Tokoto was never a good fit for UW and vice versa...but UW's offense is an ideal fit for a big like Ellenson. Not only can he shoot from 3, but his ability to create off the dribble from the perimeter would be devastating in UW's offense.
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM
And1: 1,417

Post#136 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:31 pm

For those following Jarvis Johnson's recruitment: Minnesota picked up a commit from a 4-star PG this past weekend. That could throw a wrench in their recruitment of Johnson. And since it is essentially a two horse race (Minnesota and Wisconsin), it could be good news for Wisconsin. Pitino is still making Johnson a priority though. I believe Jarvis is planning on committing at the end of the summer or early fall.
BucksRuleAll22 wrote:Calvin Johnson is horrible and not a top WR.
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM

Post#137 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:45 pm

buckboy
RealGM

Post#138 » by buckboy » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:59 pm

PkrsBcksGphsMqt wrote:SI speculates who will replace Bo.

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/20 ... -wisconsin

I'll be shocked if it isn't Gard.
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM

Post#139 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:17 pm

Yeah, I'd put my money on Gard too. I don't see Bennett leaving the ACC given his successes as of late. I don't see Shaka returning to the area either (see racism article). Then you get into mid major guys for the most part and I think Barry would prefer to hire within. Then the question becomes, what happens if Gard turns into Brad Soderberg?
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM

Post#140 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:19 pm

buckboy wrote:
PkrsBcksGphsMqt wrote:If Wisconsin wasn't after Stone, Ellenson, and that Sharma kid I could see them making a run at Illikainen, but I honestly don't even think he's on their radar right now.

I wish they would've offered him. He's a very good player IMO.

Figured you might be interested to know that Wisconsin has been in communication with Illikainen and have watched him play, according to this interview.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks