ImageImage

Giannis playing for Bucks summer league & Greece FIBA

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Ill-yasova
RealGM
And1: 2,552

Re: Giannis playing for Bucks summer league & Greece FIBA 

Post#661 » by Ill-yasova » Sun Sep 7, 2014 11:56 pm

Chuck Diesel wrote:Miroslav had a much better tournament than Giannis.

Mostly because Euroball is an asinine form of basketball where anybody under the age of 25 has to "wait their turn" before they get any opportunities in their team's offense regardless of their talent. It's like a whole continent of teams simultaneously being coached by George Karl.
CanadaBucks
Assistant Coach
And1: 314

Post#662 » by CanadaBucks » Mon Sep 8, 2014 12:46 am

So did Gustavo Ayon, wonder if the hawks would swap him for Giannis in a S&T.
Chuck Diesel
RealGM
And1: 11,556

Post#663 » by Chuck Diesel » Mon Sep 8, 2014 12:55 am

Nah probably not.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Post#664 » by LUKE23 » Mon Sep 8, 2014 2:31 am

Again with the Miroslav stuff? What is the obsession? If he was the exact same player but American would you tout him?
cinematographer
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,697

Post#665 » by cinematographer » Mon Sep 8, 2014 2:38 am

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pI__YJbXHFI&t=5s[/youtube]
Jez2983
RealGM
And1: 7,952

Post#666 » by Jez2983 » Mon Sep 8, 2014 5:46 am

Ill-yasova wrote:

Mostly because Euroball is an asinine form of basketball where anybody under the age of 25 has to "wait their turn" before they get any opportunities in their team's offense regardless of their talent. It's like a whole continent of teams simultaneously being coached by George Karl.

So what's the deal with Bogdanovic? Giannis is very raw. He'll be logging many more minutes in a season or 2 at the ripe old age of 21 for the National team. At which point people will be complaining he'll get injured.

Can't have it both ways.
trwi7 wrote:Will be practicing my best Australian accent for tomorrow.

"Hey ya wankers. I graduated from Aranmore back in 2010 and lost me yearbook. Is there any way you didgeridoos can send anotha yearbook me way?"
theFireBlanket
RealGM
And1: 3,927

Post#667 » by theFireBlanket » Mon Sep 8, 2014 1:09 pm

Jez2983 wrote:
Ill-yasova wrote:

So what's the deal with Bogdanovic? Giannis is very raw. He'll be logging many more minutes in a season or 2 at the ripe old age of 21 for the National team. At which point people will be complaining he'll get injured.

Can't have it both ways.

Bogdan has been a member of Adriatic league basketball teams for 4 years and Euroleague for 3 years, so he's much more experienced in that style of basketball at a higher level than Giannis is and he's 2.5 years older than he is. Oh and he played with Serbija at Euroleague last summer, so he's more acquainted with the team that he's playing for in these World Championships.

Bogdan definitely had a great game though. Watching live I was thinking Cine must've been enjoying the moments when he was taking the ball to the hoop against Giannis.
DukeH wrote:Plenty, RealGM Bucks Board is the Golden Dawn of forums.

f=21 runs better with Diesel, #FreeChuckDiesel
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,978

Post#668 » by Badgerlander » Mon Sep 8, 2014 1:31 pm

Neto reminds me of Barbosa
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
SkilesTheLimit
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,795

Post#669 » by SkilesTheLimit » Mon Sep 8, 2014 1:50 pm

LUKE23 wrote:Again with the Miroslav stuff? What is the obsession? If he was the exact same player but American would you tout him?

I have been saying the same thing since the LAC trade. Because he's an unknown Euro he has this limitless potential somehow in the minds of some people. I'm pretty damn confident nobody will even think twice about this guy or even remember he was a Buck in 2 years. The whole league has a chance to sign him now. We'll see how truly valued this guy is very soon.
We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees.
- Jason Kidd
Badgerlander
RealGM

Post#670 » by Badgerlander » Mon Sep 8, 2014 2:15 pm

SkilesTheLimit wrote: We'll see how truly valued this guy is very soon.

Doubt it. Most teams are cap strapped or rosters are full at this point. Miroslav's game is pretty similar to Pekovic's, but how many teams run an offense that can use that effectively? maybe 2 or 3? Most nba teams that have a roster spot would be offering vet minimum and already have starters and back-ups set. Europe will offer more money and playing time.

Spoiler:

Apollo64
Starter
And1: 724

Post#671 » by Apollo64 » Mon Sep 8, 2014 3:26 pm

Raduljica is a terrible defender, especially one-on-one, and a good offensive player if used correctly by his team. NBA teams look for defense-first centers and with good reason.
Badgerlander
RealGM

Post#672 » by Badgerlander » Mon Sep 8, 2014 3:58 pm

Apollo64 wrote:Raduljica is a terrible defender, especially one-on-one, and a good offensive player if used correctly by his team. NBA teams look for defense-first centers and with good reason.

Not really. Miroslav was 8th in the league right behind Bogut in rim protection (in limited minutes/small sample size).
http://nyloncalculus.com/2014/07/22/pro ... rotection/
He is a plodder but makes up for it by being huge. Obviously the farther you get him away from the rim his effectiveness diminishes exponentailly.

Spoiler:

SkilesTheLimit
Lead Assistant

Post#673 » by SkilesTheLimit » Mon Sep 8, 2014 4:14 pm

DocHoliday wrote:

Doubt it. Most teams are cap strapped or rosters are full at this point. Miroslav's game is pretty similar to Pekovic's, but how many teams run an offense that can use that effectively? maybe 2 or 3? Most nba teams that have a roster spot would be offering vet minimum and already have starters and back-ups set. Europe will offer more money and playing time.

If you're as good as Pekovic, an NBA starting caliber C, teams will be lining up waiting to sign you after they quickly clear cap space. He's not in the same stratosphere as him as a player, thus he will wind up in Europe because he's, simply, not good enough to be in the NBA as anything more than a 12th man.
- Jason Kidd
Apollo64
Starter
And1: 724

Post#674 » by Apollo64 » Mon Sep 8, 2014 4:18 pm

DocHoliday wrote:
Apollo64 wrote:Raduljica is a terrible defender, especially one-on-one, and a good offensive player if used correctly by his team. NBA teams look for defense-first centers and with good reason.

Not really. Miroslav was 8th in the league right behind Bogut in rim protection (in limited minutes/small sample size).
http://nyloncalculus.com/2014/07/22/pro ... rotection/
He is a plodder but makes up for it by being huge. Obviously the farther you get him away from the rim his effectiveness diminishes exponentailly.

He can't guard good centers one-on-one. Serbia has wisened up to this and sends massive help to him in those situations.
Badgerlander
RealGM

Post#675 » by Badgerlander » Mon Sep 8, 2014 4:34 pm

SkilesTheLimit wrote:
DocHoliday wrote:

If you're as good as Pekovic, an NBA starting caliber C, teams will be lining up waiting to sign you after they quickly clear cap space. He's not in the same stratosphere as him as a player, thus he will wind up in Europe because he's, simply, not good enough to be in the NBA as anything more than a 12th man.

If you compare their first year in the league they are pretty similar. Now Miroslav is a year older and played half the minutes but still I'd say close enough for stratosphere.

Spoiler:

SkilesTheLimit
Lead Assistant

Post#676 » by SkilesTheLimit » Mon Sep 8, 2014 4:40 pm

DocHoliday wrote:
SkilesTheLimit wrote:
DocHoliday wrote:

If you compare their first year in the league they are pretty similar. Now Miroslav is a year older and played half the minutes but still I'd say close enough for stratosphere.

I'll look forward eating crow when we see him being the impact player that Pek was in his second season.

Not holding my breath...
- Jason Kidd
Badgerlander
RealGM

Post#677 » by Badgerlander » Mon Sep 8, 2014 4:49 pm

SkilesTheLimit wrote:
DocHoliday wrote:
SkilesTheLimit wrote:

I'll look forward eating crow when we see him being the impact player that Pek was in his second season.

Not holding my breath...

Well if you read my earlier post I already said that it's not going to happen because their aren't any teams out there that run an offense like the TWolves that are looking for a Center. Teams have realized Pek's limitations and prefer the more athletic shot blocker types that can run in transition. Plus the only other team that has a euro PG that runs PnR is the Suns and they are trying to develop Len.

Spoiler:

Sagittaron
Senior
And1: 150

Post#678 » by Sagittaron » Mon Sep 8, 2014 8:14 pm

So after the loss yesterday Giannis said the following to a Greek reporter. I thought it could be interesting for you guys

Source (It's in Greek obviously): http://www.gazzetta.gr/basketball/artic ... i-kalytero

"We played some good games in the group phase and it was a real confidence boost. We had to play in this knock out game and unfortunately we didn't make it, I guess we were a bit unlucky. What I have to say is that I am extremely happy with my teamates and the national team in general, we really had some fun times this summer but we also made a lot of progress. I learned a lot from this experience and I hope that next summer will do even better."

Q: What does the National Team means to you?

"The team is above all, if I am healthy I will be here competing with National Team whenever my country needs me. I witnessed an incident with Zisis, he is an experienced player and he has been in many glorious moments of the national team and today after we lost I saw him crying. Honestly, witnessing this changed my point of view and I understood what the national team means for some of my team-mates. I hope that some day after a couple of years that I will be in his shoes and the national team will be as important to me as it is to him (Zisis). To be honest it already means a lot to me competing for my country."
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,368

Post#679 » by M-C-G » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:31 pm

Giannis compilation

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPP7ppTp3VU[/youtube]
yannisk
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,738

Post#680 » by yannisk » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:39 pm

Saw Giannis in Athens having coffee with his brother Thanasis, Theo Papaloukas (and a few other people)
Hope Papaloukas one of the great european playmakers shared some words of wisdom with him. Giannis looked relaxed, cool and was very friendly with whoever said a 'hello' to him.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks