ImageImage

Expectations of Giannis this season?

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

drew881
RealGM
And1: 4,977

Re: Expectations of Giannis this season? 

Post#81 » by drew881 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:05 pm

Hopefully the jumper issues are due to growth. Perhaps an offseason of practice and stopped growth will give him some consistency to get the shot under control. Do we have advanced stats for how his catch and shoot numbers are? The off the dribble shots? Id imagine his shooting last year was mostly the stand in corner, catch and shoot variety, whereas this year he is taking some harder jumpers. No?
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,330

Post#82 » by crkone » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:10 pm

crkone wrote:I want to see above 60% at the rim and above 40% shooting in the post/midrange. He has the length to get his shot off, he just needs to work at getting it off the dribble.

He's shooting 62.2% in the restricted area but only 32% in the paint and 27.3% from midrange. Not bad though.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,367

Post#83 » by M-C-G » Mon Feb 9, 2015 3:23 pm

M-C-G wrote:Agree with the strength and shooting consistency comments...but will add something else;

I want to see him be dominate for stretches of a game...It doesn't need to be every game, but if I start seeing where he is the best player on the court for stretches, I'll be really happy, even if that means statistically he doesn't make any big jumps.

Well, we are about a half year removed from the start of this thread...Time to bump it. Looks like my expectations have been more than met as of late.
bigkurty
General Manager
And1: 1,511

Post#84 » by bigkurty » Mon Feb 9, 2015 4:21 pm

If you take his last 5 games and look for players who put up similar stats since the year 2000, this is the list
http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... rder_by=ws
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,367

Post#85 » by M-C-G » Mon Feb 9, 2015 4:46 pm

By the way, his per game line right now looks like;

12 pts, 6.5 reb, 2.4 ast, .9 stl, 1.0 blocks, 2.0 TO on 51% FG, 56.5% TS

His per 36

14.7 pts, 8.0 reb, 2.9 ast, 1.1 stl, 1.3 blocks, 2.5 TO
Giannis Parker
Banned User
And1: 169

Post#86 » by Giannis Parker » Mon Feb 9, 2015 4:49 pm

Seems like PF is going to be his destination position by as soon as next season.
Prez
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41,802

Post#87 » by Prez » Mon Feb 9, 2015 5:01 pm

Anyone else feeling a Paul George-like path of development here? Or something similar? Not stylistically in terms of their game, but their level of improvement.

If I remember correctly, PG was also a ~12 ppg player, so not super exciting for the box score watchers, but he flashes a lot of potential and had stretches in games where he looked absolutely special and could take over. And then Indy made the playoffs, not many gave them a chance to do anything substantial (it was all Chicago and Miami going in) and then they put up a legit fight against the champs and it was incredibly valuable experience of PG who would take the next step the following year.

The sick part is that Giannis is a year younger, doesn't have nearly the basketball background as a PG growing up, and considering his recent performances..he could still enter the playoffs both statistically and observably further along than PG was in his 2nd year. I wouldn't be surprised if Giannis has somewhat of a coming out party in the playoffs, where we take a legit team to the limit on his back.
Cooleyo47
Rookie
And1: 523

Post#88 » by Cooleyo47 » Mon Feb 9, 2015 5:09 pm

REALLY hope the All Star break does nothing to diminish Giannis' confidence.

Giannis is 20 years old and showing undeniable signs of superstardom in the not so distant future.

Jabari will be back as good as new IMO, but he may be the Robin to Giannis' Batman by then.

Fear the friggin deer! This duo has more potential than Big Dog and Jesus Shuttlesworth.
Perishable517
Analyst
And1: 1,943

Post#89 » by Perishable517 » Mon Feb 9, 2015 5:15 pm

Milbuck wrote:Anyone else feeling a Paul George-like path of development here? Or something similar? Not stylistically in terms of their game, but their level of improvement.

If I remember correctly, PG was also a ~12 ppg player, so not super exciting for the box score watchers, but he flashes a lot of potential and had stretches in games where he looked absolutely special and could take over. And then Indy made the playoffs, not many gave them a chance to do anything substantial (it was all Chicago and Miami going in) and then they put up a legit fight against the champs and it was incredibly valuable experience of PG who would take the next step the following year.

The sick part is that Giannis is a year younger, doesn't have nearly the basketball background as a PG growing up, and considering his recent performances..he could still enter the playoffs both statistically and observably further along than PG was in his 2nd year. I wouldn't be surprised if Giannis has somewhat of a coming out party in the playoffs, where we take a legit team to the limit on his back.

This gave me chub reading it.
" If you take away the alc l r g on Malcolm Brogdon is Mom Bod :("
- emunney

"I’d place the phone directly between my cheeks while I let one rip right in John Hammond’s ear."
- BroncoBuck
dc634
Senior
And1: 150

Post#90 » by dc634 » Mon Feb 9, 2015 5:28 pm

bigkurty wrote:If you take his last 5 games and look for players who put up similar stats since the year 2000, this is the list

While fun, using that small a sample size is pretty futile.
bigkurty
General Manager
And1: 1,511

Post#91 » by bigkurty » Mon Feb 9, 2015 5:33 pm

dc634 wrote:
bigkurty wrote:If you take his last 5 games and look for players who put up similar stats since the year 2000, this is the list

He is 20 and these stats are not impossible to reach over the course of a season. its just to point out what kind of player he is likely to become. Mainly a pf or a center most likely.

The really cool thing though is he can initiate an offense. The closest guy to that on the list is KG. He is definitely going to be very special if he keeps this growth curve and gains consistency.
ampd
RealGM
And1: 4,883

Post#92 » by ampd » Mon Feb 9, 2015 6:00 pm

While I don't expect giannis to average 22/11 for the rest of the season nothing would surprise me at this point.

The most important thing to me is we don't let him settle for deferring and keep expanding his role. it's been pretty clear over this stretch that knight and giannis can both get theirs so I don't see that as a problem.

I'd love to see giannis get 15 or so fga. For that we'll have to start expanding the type of plays we run for him and that's the next step in his development anyway.
Wisky4life
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,072

Post#93 » by Wisky4life » Mon Feb 9, 2015 6:03 pm

Finish season with 26 ppg/ 11.2 rbs /4.6 ast /2.2 stls / 2.1 blks and the MVP Trophy.
“We’re going to turn this team around 360 degrees.” –Jason Kidd
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,613

Post#94 » by Ron Swanson » Mon Feb 9, 2015 6:13 pm

I don't agree when people assume his "best" position is going to be PF or C. To me, both Giannis and Jabari are interchangeable 3/4s who should be able to make a career out of abusing smaller players with their size mismatches.

I like Giannis at the 4 only when it's a good matchup, and he can take a slower big off the dribble. Otherwise, his length and defensive skills, in combination with his quickness, are much more valuable on the perimeter.
dc634
Senior
And1: 150

Post#95 » by dc634 » Mon Feb 9, 2015 6:16 pm

bigkurty wrote:
dc634 wrote:

He is 20 and these stats are not impossible to reach over the course of a season. its just to point out what kind of player he is likely to become. Mainly a pf or a center most likely.

The really cool thing though is he can initiate an offense. The closest guy to that on the list is KG. He is definitely going to be very special if he keeps this growth curve and gains consistency.

Yeah but if we use a 6 game sample for Hassan Whiteside, this is what turns up since 1946.

http://bkref.com/tiny/gUXMF

Trying to take anything away from such a small sample is just not realistic. Isolating a 5 game sample is not necessary to suggest that he can become a PF/C.

Turning into KG would be excellent. Expecting anything more at this point will probably lead to dissapointment. That can change though, as indeed he is only 20.
H2tObes
RealGM
And1: 10,022

Post#96 » by H2tObes » Mon Feb 9, 2015 6:16 pm

Giannis will never have a set position. Why hold him back by "sticking" him to only one position? The kid can play all 5 positions, use it to our advantage!
Bucks4Milwaukee
Pro Prospect
And1: 192

Post#97 » by Bucks4Milwaukee » Mon Feb 9, 2015 6:17 pm

I was pretty much on with my expectations. Love Giannis. If he and Parker both play good next year, do we see the need to trade one of them because they both should play the power forward position? Or do we force Parker into the small position?
Bucks fan since day one. Go Bucks!

Newz wrote:
Bucks4Milwaukee wrote:Glad youre not in the front office. We will be contending next year if all stay healthy.

:rofl:
Giannis Parker
Banned User

Post#98 » by Giannis Parker » Mon Feb 9, 2015 6:21 pm

Bucks4Milwaukee wrote:I was pretty much on with my expectations. Love Giannis. If he and Parker both play good next year, do we see the need to trade one of them because they both should play the power forward position? Or do we force Parker into the small position?

Giannis can play 3-5 at an efficient rate, and can even slot in at the 2 if absolutely needed. I still think Parker is more of a long term 3, with the ability to play the 4. Parker has a lot of Paul Pierce in him in terms of style of play.
Bucks4Milwaukee
Pro Prospect
And1: 192

Post#99 » by Bucks4Milwaukee » Mon Feb 9, 2015 6:38 pm

Giannis Parker wrote:
Bucks4Milwaukee wrote:I was pretty much on with my expectations. Love Giannis. If he and Parker both play good next year, do we see the need to trade one of them because they both should play the power forward position? Or do we force Parker into the small position?

Giannis can play 3-5 at an efficient rate, and can even slot in at the 2 if absolutely needed. I still think Parker is more of a long term 3, with the ability to play the 4. Parker has a lot of Paul Pierce in him in terms of style of play.

As they both develop, I worry about them both playing the same position dominately is all. Theres a chance of that...I hope they can play together because they both appear to be fine with milwaukee.
Bucks fan since day one. Go Bucks!

Newz wrote:
Bucks4Milwaukee wrote:Glad youre not in the front office. We will be contending next year if all stay healthy.

:rofl:
Giannis Parker
Banned User

Post#100 » by Giannis Parker » Mon Feb 9, 2015 6:44 pm

Bucks4Milwaukee wrote:
Giannis Parker wrote:

As they both develop, I worry about them both playing the same position dominately is all. Theres a chance of that...I hope they can play together because they both appear to be fine with milwaukee.

I think you cross that bridge when it happens, but even if they are both a "4" by the books, the NBA is not a position game anymore. With what Giannis can do I think you can start both Giannis and Jabari side by side for their careers and see no issues at all.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks