ImageImage

Middle of the pack (familiar territory)- '15 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

MontaHaveABall
Freshman
And1: 12

Post#2381 » by MontaHaveABall » Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:05 am

I think it's best to draft our sixth-man of the future this year, then package our two firsts next year to move up and get our long-term center then.

This is now a weak draft for bigs, while next year is STACKED.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,725

Re: 

Post#2382 » by emunney » Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:07 am

MontaHaveABall wrote:I think it's best to draft our sixth-man of the future this year, then package our two firsts next year to move up and get our long-term center then.

Our two firsts next year? Clips 1st isn't until 2017 at the earliest.

I wonder if Hinkie would have traded Noel for that Lakers pick.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
VooDoo7
RealGM
And1: 20,838

Re: Re: 

Post#2383 » by VooDoo7 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:09 am

emunney wrote:I wonder if Hinkie would have traded Noel for that Lakers pick.

Ugh, don't even wanna think about that.

Tyus Jones
Middleton
Parker
Giannis
Noel
MontaHaveABall
Freshman

Re: Re: Re: 

Post#2384 » by MontaHaveABall » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:20 am

emunney wrote:
MontaHaveABall wrote:I think it's best to draft our sixth-man of the future this year, then package our two firsts next year to move up and get our long-term center then.

Ah yes, my mistake. Still though, I hope the Bucks push all their big man chips into the 2016 draft.
Johnlac1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,605

Re: Middle of the pack (familiar territory)- '15 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#2385 » by Johnlac1 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:47 pm

Ill-yasova wrote:Anybody who thinks that Kaminsky's defense is going to be that much of a liability didn't watch the final four and national championship games. Sure he'll never be a great shot blocker and he needs to put on a little bit of weight but there wasn't one big man all season who dominated Kaminsky in the post. He's a solid, smart position defender who's supposed "lack of athleticism" is blown way out of proportion.

There's been a number of centers who were not any more athletic (and some less) who've done very well in the league. Nobody (including me) thought Bill Laimbeer would be as good as he was. I never thought Dan Issel would be that good. And there's players today like Al Jefferson and Zach Randolph who are not real "athletic."
One thing all those players have in common is excellent shooting/scoring skills. Frank is more athletic than people realize, but he also has rare skills for a big man.
mattg
General Manager
And1: 3,012

Post#2386 » by mattg » Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:26 pm

Ill-yasova wrote:Anybody who thinks that Kaminsky's defense is going to be that much of a liability didn't watch the final four and national championship games. Sure he'll never be a great shot blocker and he needs to put on a little bit of weight but there wasn't one big man all season who dominated Kaminsky in the post. He's a solid, smart position defender who's supposed "lack of athleticism" is blown way out of proportion.

You mean like the game against Arizona where brandon ashley brutalized frank repeatedly backing him in for layups?
tski1972
Head Coach
And1: 3,598

Post#2387 » by tski1972 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:57 pm

Frank is soft defensively, but he needed to stay on the court for the Badgers to win. Who knows how aggressive he'll be when he doesn't have to worry about fouls.
http://twitter.com/MarkIsOld

"Because of Giannis, the once lousy Bucks are back in the NBA conversation." - 60 Minutes
MontaHaveABall
Freshman

Re: Re: Middle of the pack (familiar territory)- '15 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#2388 » by MontaHaveABall » Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:57 pm

mattg wrote:

You mean like the game against Arizona where brandon ashley brutalized frank repeatedly backing him in for layups?

Wisconsin plays a completely different defense from the Bucks. The Bucks defense is designed to take pressure off the bigs by jamming things up at the perimeter.
On_Wisconsin
Senior
And1: 103

Middle of the pack (familiar territory)- '15 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#2389 » by On_Wisconsin » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:00 pm

If of all the non-Towns/Okafor centers I like Frank the most. I'd love to move up and grab him and still find a way to get George de Paula too

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Johnlac1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,605

Post#2390 » by Johnlac1 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:13 pm

tski1972 wrote:Frank is soft defensively, but he needed to stay on the court for the Badgers to win. Who knows how aggressive he'll be when he doesn't have to worry about fouls.

What Frank does on off. could be quite different from what he does on def. He very likely could be paired with a strong def. big. Will he still get taken advantage of from time to time? Sure, but that happens to many players.
However, it's still a plus/minus situation. Does playing player X pay more dividends than player Y in certain situations? I think the benefits of Frank's off. will pay more dividends than whatever minuses his possible lack of tough def. costs.
And of course, there's no law that says Frank can't get stronger.
mattg
General Manager
And1: 3,012

Re: Re: Middle of the pack (familiar territory)- '15 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#2391 » by mattg » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:17 pm

MontaHaveABall wrote:
mattg wrote:

Wisconsin plays a completely different defense from the Bucks. The Bucks defense is designed to take pressure off the bigs by jamming things up at the perimeter.

Not really relevant to be honest. The different style isn't going to suddenly make kaminsky a rim protecter or a good post defender. As for the bucks style taking pressure off the bigs, somewhat. However there is far more scrambling in the bucks defense which is just a different kind of pressure. If you're late or you miss a rotation you just gave up a wide open layup. Further, in college due to the smaller court and lack of 3 secs it's significantly easier to contain penetration before a big needs to even rotate and containing the paint in general.
Chuck Diesel
RealGM
And1: 11,556

Post#2392 » by Chuck Diesel » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:19 pm

I feel like Montrezl Harrell could give us 15 quality minutes in this series right now.
randy84
RealGM
And1: 6,411

Post#2393 » by randy84 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:21 pm

I see Frank being a better Ersan at PF than a center.
breakchains
General Manager
And1: 2,708

Post#2394 » by breakchains » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:27 pm

emunney wrote:

I wonder the same. Noel improved significantly since that time, so maybe not now, but I think he may have at the time. We were so close to hitting a home run with that Knight deal, but unfortunately we let a guy who probably isn't a good personnel guy (Kidd) have his way and it burned us.
MontaHaveABall
Freshman

Re: Re: Re: Middle of the pack (familiar territory)- '15 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#2395 » by MontaHaveABall » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:53 pm

mattg wrote:
MontaHaveABall wrote:
mattg wrote:You mean like the game against Arizona where brandon ashley brutalized frank repeatedly backing him in for layups?

Not really relevant to be honest. The different style isn't going to suddenly make kaminsky a rim protecter or a good post defender. As for the bucks style taking pressure off the bigs, somewhat. However there is far more scrambling in the bucks defense which is just a different kind of pressure. If you're late or you miss a rotation you just gave up a wide open layup. Further, in college due to the smaller court and lack of 3 secs it's significantly easier to contain penetration before a big needs to even rotate and containing the paint in general.

I just love the 'Frank would be a defensive liability' bandwagon.

You know Zaza freaking Pachulia, a man who might was well wear a suit of armor on the floor has been the starting center all year.for a top-5 defense, right?

There is NO WAY Kaminsky would be worse than Pachulia.
bigbucksfan1234
Senior
And1: 187

Post#2396 » by bigbucksfan1234 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:27 pm

With 17th pick we should get devin booker or rj hunter and im hoping we can get back into the first round or move up in the second to the center from washington robert upshaw
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 661

Post#2397 » by Jollay » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:53 pm

We need offense more, but don't sleep on Justin Anderson. He fits Kidd's system like a glove and is extremely physical.

Probably would go Kaminsky or Booker or someone who could score more first, but Anderson wouldn't surprise me at all, and his O still has upside. He can also attack the rim. Needs to improve creating his own shot, though.
MontaHaveABall
Freshman

Post#2398 » by MontaHaveABall » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:13 pm

bigbucksfan1234 wrote:With 17th pick we should get devin booker or rj hunter and im hoping we can get back into the first round or move up in the second to the center from washington robert upshaw
A shot-blocking center with personal issues? SIGN ME UP!
Buckrageous
Starter
And1: 665

Post#2399 » by Buckrageous » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:04 pm

:banghead:
Buckrageous
Starter
And1: 665

Post#2400 » by Buckrageous » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:05 pm

What are the protections on that 2017 Clipppers pick? They could be a couple summers of Doc Rivers GMing and an injury away from being a nice pick. I'm hoping it becomes a Eddy Cuury situation one year.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks